Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Increase Furnishing Cap [HOUSING]

andreasranasen
andreasranasen
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I believe it would benefit both us players and Zenimax. More time will be spent decorating and keeping players busy for the months to come while also bringing more money to ZOS with players being able to buy more stuff off of Crown Furnishing Tab.

This Update may be "free" but it's a Housing update, let us freely be able to decorate, instead of only being able to JUST decorate the outside or JUST decorate the inside. Right now, you can't do both because of the cap.

> Myself, i bought the Velothi Reverie (Medium Sized) to try it out first and will later move on to a bigger house. But 400 item cap is not a lot when the smallest item count as 1. For example, Velothi Reverie has this gorgeous little back patio. I decided to build a balcony with stairs leading up to it out of stone. That was easily 100 stones that i used. With trees, flowers and a Redguard Cabana, I am about to hit cap and i've barely started on the inside of this little crib.

I have friends who are crazy decorators and were extremely excited for Housing and to get the largest house and spend weeks in there decorating. But now, they are all settling for a smaller house because of the cap. Zenimax, please don't put roadblocks for people who may want to spend real money by having this low cap on all houses.

Let us be able to really enjoy this Update by increasing the cap! :mrgreen:

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Edited by andreasranasen on February 22, 2017 6:44PM
#VMATOKENSYSTEM #WEAPONDYE #TRAITCHANGE #CROWNCRATELOVER
  • Alliance/Platform: Aldemerii - PS4/NA - CP 800+
  • Mag Sorc: Arya Rosendahl - Altmer - Highelf

Increase Furnishing Cap [HOUSING] 367 votes

Yes
97%
IcyDeadPeopleMallowTamisanSirAndyFat_Cat45dodgehopper_ESOArtisalenae1b14_ESObigscoothb14_ESOLtCrunchNewBlacksmurfAlMcFlyotis67KesstrylZewksDarcyMardinBlackSparrowDrelkagwenchmore420b14_ESOKlemenziusb16_ESO 356 votes
No, explain
2%
AcrolasBam_BamTanis-StormbinderAzraelKriegGeeky_Gamer84HvzedaRastoricSleepyTrollnotimetocareSTEVILVipstaakki 11 votes
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    YES please.

I have a manor and it's still incredibly sparse in a lot of rooms, and the big extra building outside is empty, yet I'm at the 700 item cap.

There's so much more I want to do with it. :(
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You all just got fleeced.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    YES please.

I have a manor and it's still incredibly sparse in a lot of rooms, and the big extra building outside is empty, yet I'm at the 700 item cap.

There's so much more I want to do with it. :(

I totally agree. This cap is making me and a lot of other players not wanting to buy the bigger houses. It would only benefit Zeni to increase the cap.

And i don't think it has anything to do with performance issues tbh. It's a small instance and not some mods created by fans.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    @Acrolas I need you to explain :p I SEE EVERYTHING!
    Edited by andreasranasen on February 22, 2017 6:38PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't something that bothers me at the present time, but I'm sure increasing the caps is something ZOS have in mind for ongoing enhancements to the housing system, both with regard to furnishings and visitors. These things tend to start low and gradually increase as coding is optimised and effect on performance assessed. They've made it quite clear that this is just the first iteration of the housing system and that they'll be doing a lot with it.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Tandor wrote: »
    It isn't something that bothers me at the present time, but I'm sure increasing the caps is something ZOS have in mind for ongoing enhancements to the housing system, both with regard to furnishings and visitors. These things tend to start low and gradually increase as coding is optimised and effect on performance assessed. They've made it quite clear that this is just the first iteration of the housing system and that they'll be doing a lot with it.

Very happy to hear that! :)
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain
    Anyone who's even briefly studied design has heard the saying, "Less is More."

And it's true. While the limits could be raised a little bit, I'm sure it would just lead to more cluttered designs. And even though you get a cap of 350 in the manors as opposed to 300 in a large house, that's 600 and 700 with ESO+. I've used 300 just outside a house. The double furnishings is an excellent optional perk.

I could see maybe 375/750 on the manor. But you'd have to show me it's for good layout design and not just sky parkour mazes.
    signing off
  • peniku8
    peniku8
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I just read this thread and found out that I'm actually just a few items away from the cap, I haven't decorated anything on the inside yet. Sometimes I even ask myself why the devs come up with this. "Hey lets add a tiny item cap to housing so that players can't do what they want to"
    Leader of the Akatosh Imperium, Guildmaster of

Traders of the Ebonheart
    Pact Veteran Trade
    Pact Veteran Trade II

Ambassador of the
    Knights of Akatosh

PC EU
    HODOR
    Youtube
    Flawless Conqueror - Ophidian Overlord - Boethia's Scythe, I want an achievement for having 500k dps!
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Acrolas wrote: »

And it's true. While the limits could be raised a little bit, I'm sure it would just lead to more cluttered designs. And even though you get a cap of 350 in the manors as opposed to 300 in a large house, that's 600 and 700 with ESO+. I've used 300 just outside a house. The double furnishings is an excellent optional perk.

I could see maybe 375/750 on the manor. But you'd have to show me it's for good layout design and not just sky parkour mazes.

To be fair... sky parkour mazes are fun. There's no reason someone shouldn't be able to set their house up like that, if they want to. You might find it ugly, but if they have fun making it, who cares?

I'm pretty sure it is about performance, though not sure why. Between player caps and item caps, there is a tight limit on how much stuff you can put in your house, and you definitely feel the limit more strongly the bigger the house. They've stated they're looking at ways to increase player caps; I hope they'll do the same for items.

For now, we just need to use our items judiciously. Build ramps up to your lofts and decks instead of individual stairs... use full bookcase designs instead of placing books individually... that sort of thing.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Acrolas wrote: »

With two degrees in design i totally agree that "Less Is More" and good layout is everything. And even though i don't like these sky parkour mazes i believe it's up to them to do whatever they want with their instance. It's not hurting anyone by increasing the cap.

I think some of the pictures in this thread has beautiful gardens with a lot thought put into it rather than just cluttering the space. But reading some of the comments, a lot of those users end up hitting their cap with just decorating the gardens...
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/315641/show-off-your-gardens/p1
    Edited by andreasranasen on February 22, 2017 6:56PM
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Working from a limit of 400 at the sleek creek Rawl'Kha house, I've still got 100 slots left. However, what I think is gonna eat up my decorating space is Bookshelves, cabinets, and gardening. Trying to fill a bookshelf is gonna use about 80 items slots if I fill it all up with distinct books. Cabinets, if I want to place oddities, knick-knacks, or food items will use about 5-15 item slots, and these all take up only about a couple square feet of space. Flowerbeds, ooh boy, better on the area issue, but need a lot of them. I can only imagine how many manors must look like they've been pilfered in some areas.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    Working from a limit of 400 at the sleek creek Rawl'Kha house, I've still got 100 slots left. However, what I think is gonna eat up my decorating space is Bookshelves, cabinets, and gardening. Trying to fill a bookshelf is gonna use about 80 items slots if I fill it all up with distinct books. Cabinets, if I want to place oddities, knick-knacks, or food items will use about 5-15 item slots, and these all take up only about a couple square feet of space. Flowerbeds, ooh boy, better on the area issue, but need a lot of them. I can only imagine how many manors must look like they've been pilfered in some areas.

That is exactly how i feel. I get that the large items count as 1. But 1 fork on the kitchen table will count as 1 item as well?
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I have the Daggerfall Overlook, and in order to make use of the outside 'beach' area, I've had to build a jetty and decking out of planks just to enjoy that area in safety. That structure alone used quite a lot of my furnishing slots, simply because Zenimax thought a door into slaughterfish-infested sea was a good idea and selling point. I knew from the PTS that I was going to do this, but it has cut into my 700 furnishing slots.

Took me a good few hours to get them 'just so', but I'm quite pleased with the effort so far:
    large.basilshouse5.jpg.d7cab78fc835a761e45ddbc51c1746ba.jpg

It means I will have to be sparing with other stuff, though.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I personally am pretty bummed I can't put more achievement based items into my house. I've done everything on my main quest wise :(
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Since every book takes up a slot and I'd like to have a library I say yes. Increase the slots.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    @Baranthus You will need to explain too! :p
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain
    Less is more. Comes down to aesthetics but mostly it's because I think there's 1000s of useful things ZoS could be doing than messing about with housing something that is fluff and not essential...
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Baranthus wrote: »
    Less is more. Comes down to aesthetics but mostly it's because I think there's 1000s of useful things ZoS could be doing than messing about with housing something that is fluff and not essential...

As much as i agree with "Less Is More" IN REAL LIFE. That saying doesn't belong in a video game that is supposed to take place in an early age Fantasy world.

LESS IS MORE:
    "In minimalist architecture, design elements convey the message of simplicity. The basic geometric forms, elements without decoration, simple materials and the repetitions of structures represent a sense of order and essential quality. The movement of natural light in buildings reveals simple and clean spaces."
    "Minimalist design has been described as design at its most basic, stripped of superfluous elements, colors, shapes and textures. Its purpose is to make the content stand out and be the focal point. From a visual standpoint, minimalist design is meant to be calming and to bring the mind down to the basics."

There's no minimalistic architecture or design in ESO. ESO doesn't belong in the age of minimalism. So the saying "Less Is More" doesn't work here.
    Edited by andreasranasen on February 22, 2017 7:21PM
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    To me, Homestead is about giving players the flexibility to create something very unique and personal to them in what is a pretty amazing fantasy world. I really want a cluttered, lived-in appearance in all the homes I buy because that's what will fit my characters. For that reason, I would be happy to see an increase, particularly for us bookish sorts who crave a particular look.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I wound up buying a large house and so far I have 2 basic tables, 2 stools, and a candle.

I'm up to 5 items. I think I need to get crackin!
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    menedhyn wrote: »
    To me, Homestead is about giving players the flexibility to create something very unique and personal to them in what is a pretty amazing fantasy world. I really want a cluttered, lived-in appearance in all the homes I buy because that's what will fit my characters. For that reason, I would be happy to see an increase, particularly for us bookish sorts who crave a particular look.

Yes! i was planning on making a little study room with ton and ton of books. Now i don't know if i can...
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    @STEVIL We need an explanation to why you voted 'No' lol :p
  • Jimbullbee85
    Jimbullbee85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes most definately :) especially for collectibles. I'm more likely to buy more if I can place more in my house. I've got quite a few mounts and pets but I cant place them all due to the cap.
    Jimbullbee, Templar healer battlemage
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, explain
    You need to sub to ESO+ to get increased furnishing cap.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Mine is a large house, and only allowed to put in 4 pets max, why? Your advertising is false where they can pile stuffs.
    Pc na
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sure but their resources..... :wink:
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Also up player cap. At least 60 for manors.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Vipstaakki wrote: »
    You need to sub to ESO+ to get increased furnishing cap.

We know. And the increased cap with ESO+ in not enough.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely. 100%. Totally.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi
    Yes
    I've only got the inn room (until storage is added and other useful things) I have to switch out my stuff every so often to freshen up my place. The only constant that I don't change is my master crafting plaques. Even so that's six plaques and we're only allowed I think 30 items with ESO+? I have a few things from orsinium achievements but one is just a chair that my smuggler perches in the shadows on
    Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything