Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Master Crafting Writs: Some Questions

Faulgor
Faulgor
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.

This includes research, Motif knowledge, and achievement completion.

I'm not entirely sure how this works, especially in respect to motif knowledge.

If I open a clothing writ box for example, will only my motif knowledge of armor pieces be considered, or also weapons and shields? If it's the latter, this is a real punch to players who have spread their professions over multiple characters.

Will all motifs be considered? If so, the drop chance will decrease with every update until you learned all new styles, which I'm not really looking forward to.

What about the consumable tradeskills that don't have motifs? What level of mastery do they require for a comparable drop chance? It would seem that for instance alchemy would be much easier to master than smithing in this system.

Will this work retroactively? Meaning, can I keep my writ boxes until Homestead hits the live servers and get master writs from them?
Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it would be nice to know a bit more about what raises your chance of getting these master writs from the coffers. However, ZOS rarely reveals such numbers to us, so I guess we're back to good old experimentation.

I do not agree that this is a punch in the face to anyone. People who run many alts are still able to turn in way more crafting writs if they want to, and already reap great rewards like gold tempers and kutas. People like me, who are completionists and only run 1 character, will have a greater chance for getting the master writs, since we have maxed out all crafting skills, collected all motifs and researched all traits. On the other hand, we only get to do each of the dailies one time.
    Seems like a fair tradeoff to me.

All in all, motif collecting and maxing out crafting professions really took a much needed turn for the better, whichever way you view it, and that is a very good thing.

As for retroactively changing the writ reward boxes, I believe that has never been the case in the game, and old boxes will be left the same. That's at least how I recall it from prior changes to reward boxes in this game.
    Edited by Carbonised on January 4, 2017 9:02AM
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    I do not agree that this is a punch in the face to anyone. People who run many alts are still able to turn in way more crafting writs if they want to, and already reap great rewards like gold tempers and kutas. People like me, who are completionists and only run 1 character, will have a greater chance for getting the master writs, since we have maxed out all crafting skills, collected all motifs and researched all traits. On the other hand, we only get to do each of the dailies one time.

That calculation only holds when you got the same crafting skills on multiple characters. I have one character for clothing, one for woodworking, one for enchanting, etc. I don't get to complete more writs than someone who has maxed out all professions on the same character.

As for retroactively changing the writ reward boxes, I believe that has never been the case in the game, and old boxes will be left the same. That's at least how I recall it from prior changes to reward boxes in this game.

It worked when the glass motif was first introduced, but it didn't work when Malacath and Trinimac motifs were added to Wrothgar reward boxes. So I thought it was worth asking how it's handled this time.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

That calculation only holds when you got the same crafting skills on multiple characters. I have one character for clothing, one for woodworking, one for enchanting, etc. I don't get to complete more writs than someone who has maxed out all professions on the same character.

It worked when the glass motif was first introduced, but it didn't work when Malacath and Trinimac motifs were added to Wrothgar reward boxes. So I thought it was worth asking how it's handled this time.

Ad 1) Well, you could take your clothmaker, spend like 15 minutes maxing out his blacksmithing and woodworking professions by decon'ing cheap intricate cp160 equipment, and voila you just boosted your chances heavily, since he still retains access to your learned motifs and your researched traits. You can also with no real cost and in short time research a bunch of new traits, say 3-5 traits on the items you have 0 on. It's a choice, you will need to adapt, and it will cost you nothing but a couple more skill points.
    You also have to recall that furniture crafting will require a mix of all 3 types of crafting professions, they already mentioned that in patch notes. Meaning if you strictly divide your crafter into 3 characters and refuse to learn the other professions on those characters, you won't be able to craft the fancy furniture.
    I like it, I think the game should reward you for having synergy between your crafting professions, instead of dissociating it onto different alts. We already have the incentive to keep crafting bunched together with the motifs, which in the case of armor pieces, cover both clothing and blacksmithing. And I think this is another step in the right directing for dedicated crafters.

Ad 2) Guess we'll have to wait on a confirmation on this one. It's certainly nice to know whether one should start hoarding crafting rewards at this time.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'll have to work with the system, but I don't like it. It promotes becoming a master of all instead of actually roleplaying, which would mean that you have weaknesses as well as proficiencies.
    Besides skill points, it will also cost me getting all those motif pages again I already have on my main crafters for that profession. If motifs were account-wide, it would be less of an issue ...which might also make me consider buying motifs in the crown store, because as it stands, I'm not going to buy a motif three times for my clothier, smith, and woodcrafter.

And just because I have many crafting alts doesn't mean I'm not a dedicated crafter :p
  • ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ZOS_Bel_Shezzar
    ✭✭✭
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.
    Chris Balser
    Systems Team - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Staff Post
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

@Bel_Shezzar

Love x1000 for this really clever (and I imagine painstakingly-coded) process! <3 I'm hella excited to give it a go.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did nine writs on two characters, one my master crafter who is top level and researched on everything, the other who is also leveled and researched on all three of hers. I got zero Master Writs. Couldn't you guys give RNGesus an extra dose of loving on the PTS and then send it back down to normal levels when it goes Live? You want us testing this stuff, right?
    I ride in a zerg ball of one.
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do we have an idea how different are chances for let say a provisioner who does not know any purple/gold recipes and someone with almost all known? 9 traits all motifs/fresh 50 clothier? 2 times better, 5 or 100?
    Edited by Soella on January 4, 2017 10:32PM
  • nCats
    nCats
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the answer,

Evidently, there is some difference between the crafts: enchanting, alchemy and even provisioning are relatively easy to master completely, compared to very long and/or costly equipment crafting skill lines. Is that taken into account for Master Writs somehow?

I also second the question about retroactive adjustment of current writ rewards, asked by the OP. Thank you.

Best,
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If we save crafting writ boxes and open them after patch, will they drop these master writs?
  • llllADBllll
    llllADBllll
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea of the number of different variations of Master Writs since the standard writs there are only 3 of each writ per craft at the most is there an endless amount of possibilities RNG based or is there a set 21 master writs for example. Looks great for a 9 trait motif addict
    CRAFTMASTER - DAGGERFALL EU XBOX ONE

GAMERTAG - DJANTBOWMAN

Tamriel Trading Company Guildmaster
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm actually really impressed with this. There's now more benefit to being a master crafter!
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP
  • karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »

@Bel_Shezzar

Love x1000 for this really clever (and I imagine painstakingly-coded) process! <3 I'm hella excited to give it a go.

painstakingly-coded is just code for it will be buggy
  • karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    one question tho with master writs .... will they be lvl dependant .... ie will it be go craft 160 cp sword of hundings rage ...

and if it does are the increase in mats required factored into any potential rewards !
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    one question tho with master writs .... will they be lvl dependant .... ie will it be go craft 160 cp sword of hundings rage ...

and if it does are the increase in mats required factored into any potential rewards !

Based on @Bel_Shezzar's answer ... no.

It's dependent on your trait research, motif knowledge, purple and gold recipes learned, etc. ... regardless of character level.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 5, 2017 12:59AM
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was hoping that Motif knowledge would NOT be a factor in Master Crafting Writs. I do have one master crafter who has learned all traits and most of the motifs, but I also have several alts that are top level crafters who hasn't bothered with the Motifs. Mainly there was no reason to because my main crafter could make anything in most styles. Now if I want to improve the chances for my other alts to get the Master Writs they also have to learn all the Motifs? Bah, too expensive and time consuming.
  • PhaeroX
    PhaeroX
    ✭✭

If we save crafting writ boxes and open them after patch, will they drop these master writs?

I'd like to know this as well.
    @Phaero_X --- PC/NA/AD -- Carpe Diem
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Bel_Shezzar
    Assuming it doesn't already exist, can you guys add a crafting mastery XP Bars. Basically some kind of bar that lets you know how much mastery you have with each type of crafting?
    Edited by timidobserver on January 5, 2017 6:06AM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭

A Million Thank Yous for this explanation. I would buy you a beer (or whatever you drink) if I could. :) Explanations of game mechanics just like this one are a wonderful boon and alleviate countless frustrations for players such as myself. Again, thank you!
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This does seem to be a bit unbalanced at the moment. I mean, learning all rune translations or learning all reagent effects is relatively trivial compared to having all traits researched or learning all provisioning recipes.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the writs on my crafter just now, knows every motif except Drag and Yok and all 9 traits. Master crafter in all crafting skills and received no master writs. Instead of bumping the RNG, I would recommend setting the cool down to 5 minutes or so on the PTS that way we can give you a lot of data to evaluate in a short amount of time.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit thinks it cannot hurt to keep the crafting writ rewards for now.

If we open them later then the worst we can get is the same as we would have received now yes - and there is always the chance of getting something better perhaps - unless we are told for sure that they will not work that way.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we have some insight on the factors that raise our chances of receiving a master writ, but unfortunately we still don't know what the base chance is as well as how much each of those factors raise your chance.

It could be 20% base + 0.0001% per achieve

Or 0.1% base + 5% per achieve

Or 0.01% base + 0.01% per achieve

Basically, we know more than we did but there are still too many variables left unknown.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit thinks it cannot hurt to keep the crafting writ rewards for now.

If we open them later then the worst we can get is the same as we would have received now yes - and there is always the chance of getting something better perhaps - unless we are told for sure that they will not work that way.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Khajiit is clever, but some of us are already hurting for inventory space, and I don't believe the crafting boxes stack with one another, meaning it will only take a couple of days before I'm sitting at a full inventory. Finding out later that the change is not working retroactively could have spared a lot of headache ;)
    Edited by Carbonised on January 5, 2017 12:18PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

This does seem to be a bit unbalanced at the moment. I mean, learning all rune translations or learning all reagent effects is relatively trivial compared to having all traits researched or learning all provisioning recipes.

I agree with you, but writs are already very imbalanced. Provisioning writs require practically no effort and no real cost to make. Enchanting requires only trash runes and glyphs, and alchemy is somewhere in the middle, with a slightly higher cost. Then comes equipment writs that require ruby mats (though not as expensive as before).

I believe the system they came up with is a good start, I'm not really sure how else they could do it, since enchanting and alchemy have very few achievements of progressions involved. Getting all provisioning recipes, however, is no trivial task. Right now it seems like only purple and gold recipes are counted, but that still includes Hissmir recipe, Double Mara, Ambrosia, Aetherial Ambrosia, Orzoga's Bear and all the purple recipes from festival events as well as those extremely expensive and hard to get purple recipes from lower tiers. Provisioning is fine, enchanting and alchemy are a lot easier, but I don't really see what other variables that could be included there.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You both have a point, but most likely they'll try to balance the discrepancy in investment with the vouchers that are actually rewarded for equipment vs. consumable master writs. As of now that system is not implemented, but hopefully we'll learn more before this goes live.

At least I hope that's what they are going to do, even though I wish motifs weren't part of the calculation.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You both have a point, but most likely they'll try to balance the discrepancy in investment with the vouchers that are actually rewarded for equipment vs. consumable master writs. As of now that system is not implemented, but hopefully we'll learn more before this goes live.

At least I hope that's what they are going to do, even though I wish motifs weren't part of the calculation.

There is some kind of balance, since the voucher rewards are different from the different quests. Some reward 1 or 2, while higher tier equipment writs reward more vouchers.

Perhaps this needs to be balanced even further, so the voucher difference between consumables and equipment Master Crafter writs reflect the vast difference between these crafts. I'm not sure if the current ratio really reflects that.
  • Alanar
    Alanar
    ✭✭✭✭

There is some kind of balance, since the voucher rewards are different from the different quests. Some reward 1 or 2, while higher tier equipment writs reward more vouchers.

Perhaps this needs to be balanced even further, so the voucher difference between consumables and equipment Master Crafter writs reflect the vast difference between these crafts. I'm not sure if the current ratio really reflects that.

I did a thorough analysis of about 100 master writs, and I think the system is pretty balanced. The most significant factors for the number of vouchers given are legendary improvements and nirnhoned, if you're lucky (yes I said lucky) enough to get a master writ that requires something both legendary and nirnhoned, you can get as much as 100 writ vouchers. For comparison, the highest I saw for a consumable master writ was 5.

Also, since the master writ invitations are tradeable, the value of the writ vouchers is split between the materials required and the master writ itself. I expect there to be a very interesting market around master writs, with profits going to those who understand the system best, just like every other market in the game.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alanar wrote: »

I did a thorough analysis of about 100 master writs, and I think the system is pretty balanced. The most significant factors for the number of vouchers given are legendary improvements and nirnhoned, if you're lucky (yes I said lucky) enough to get a master writ that requires something both legendary and nirnhoned, you can get as much as 100 writ vouchers. For comparison, the highest I saw for a consumable master writ was 5.

Also, since the master writ invitations are tradeable, the value of the writ vouchers is split between the materials required and the master writ itself. I expect there to be a very interesting market around master writs, with profits going to those who understand the system best, just like every other market in the game.

That is interesting. However, as long as we don't have the voucher prices on PTS, it's hard to see exactly how this plays out.

I mean, even if you get 100 vouches from a golden nirnhoned weapon (value: 100k), if that only grants you 2 pages from the ebon motif, that's still very underwhelming. If, however, 100 vouches grant you the Ebon motif, some style mats and a few more odds and ends, it may be worth the 100k.

Without voucher prices, this will be hard to assess (I believe everything on PTS costs 1 voucher as of right now).
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alanar wrote: »

That is interesting. However, as long as we don't have the voucher prices on PTS, it's hard to see exactly how this plays out.

I mean, even if you get 100 vouches from a golden nirnhoned weapon (value: 100k), if that only grants you 2 pages from the ebon motif, that's still very underwhelming. If, however, 100 vouches grant you the Ebon motif, some style mats and a few more odds and ends, it may be worth the 100k.

Without voucher prices, this will be hard to assess (I believe everything on PTS costs 1 voucher as of right now).

Even without knowing the voucher prices, I think it's a safe bet that one master writ or the equivalent of 100k will not be enough for the full Ebony Motif. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you get even one page for it. :(