The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Lightning Form vs Evasion

SantaOrc
SantaOrc
✭✭✭
Besides other effects on that abilities: For Magicka Sorcs, [Lightning Form] Major Resolve/Ward (Armor/Spellresi) or [Evasion] Major Evasion?

Evasion obviously reduces incoming damage by 20% (does that work for AE, too?), how much reduces Lightning Form?

Working on my vMSA Setup. I know that i may lack the stamina for cc breaking purposes when using Evasion, still wondering.
Edited by SantaOrc on August 31, 2016 1:04PM

Lightning Form vs Evasion 20 votes

Evasion ftw
15%
jhharvestAnti_Virusjeedrzej 3 votes
Lightning Form is better
35%
lolo_01b16_ESOApheriusStrider_RoshinKammakaziMinute_WaltzsusmitdsSludge04 7 votes
Evasion, but not with small Stamina pool
15%
SASKIYkarakondzulaSkander 3 votes
Other because bacon
35%
cschwingeb14_ESOCathexisJohngo0036Omgwtfbbq321Vangypsychotic13Foxic 7 votes
  • Minute_Waltz
    Minute_Waltz
    ✭✭✭
    Lightning Form is better
    Actually you won't need either for vma, ward is enough. And you will need every single bit of your stam on the last boss.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anything, use Boundless Storm for the damage it deals, as well as the Major Ward/Resolve. Evasion is not a good choice for a magSorc in vMA (especially last boss).
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other because bacon
    If you are mag its a different beast entirely. Just run shields.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major Ward etc gives 5kish resist which equal approximately 7% damage mitigation

Fyi in PvP armor reduction is so high the boost does practically nothing
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • SantaOrc
    SantaOrc
    ✭✭✭
    Major Ward etc gives 5kish resist which equal approximately 7% damage mitigation

Thanks, that's what i am looking for.

Major Fracture nullifies a Major Resolve, but it's still better than reducing the rest of my armor, isn't it?

Edited by SantaOrc on August 31, 2016 4:46PM
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other because bacon
    I said other, but because of limited bar space on the front bar I use lightning form on the back bar. I would swap out lightning form for elemental drain if I could free up a front bar slot. It's currently the least important part of the setup.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SantaOrc wrote: »

Thanks, that's what i am looking for.

Major Fracture nullifies a Major Resolve, but it's still better than reducing the rest of my armor, isn't it?

Agreed, which is precisely why stacking resistances well above the caps is a viable strategy for many pvp builds. Extra mitigation in PVP = insurance against penetration.

Very few fights in PVE even have a penetration or reduction component to them, and of those, only one of which seems even remotely of consequence given my own experience (Zhaz'hassa in vMoL), and even then is not something worth overstacking resistances for. It is manageable to say the least, especially with two tanks.
    Edited by Autolycus on August 31, 2016 5:05PM
  • Lefthy
    Lefthy
    ✭✭
    Dont know much about sorcs, but i know Evasion doesnt reduce incoming damage for 20%, its a 20% chance to avoid been hit.

And i dont think it work with AOEs
  • SantaOrc
    SantaOrc
    ✭✭✭
    I said other, but because of limited bar space on the front bar I use lightning form on the back bar. I would swap out lightning form for elemental drain if I could free up a front bar slot. It's currently the least important part of the setup.

I replaced magelight on the backbar with lightning form, since i don't need crit on that bar. The other skills on that bar are Surge, Dark Exchange (crits would overheal most of the time), Mutagen (still crits when i am on my frontbar again), and healstaff-ward. Since i am healing in dungeons i still have the Ward Ally, therefore crit isn't that important, too.
    Lefthy wrote: »
    Dont know much about sorcs, but i know Evasion doesnt reduce incoming damage for 20%, its a 20% chance to avoid been hit.

That's true, i just simplified that for better comparison. Of course that "20% damage reduction" doesn't help you much when a boss still onehits you. In the end it's a little luck dependend which attacks will be dodged. Still an important point to consider, thanks.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These skills are so different. Idk how they can be compared.

Magicka Sorc to Magicka Sorc, I would slot neither of them for vMA.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other because bacon
    I run both
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lightning Form is better
    Evasion works on almost everything apart from magic / elemental damage aoes and channeled attacks.

But I personally would only use it for pvp.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's exactly 8%.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Omgwtfbbq321
    Omgwtfbbq321
    ✭✭✭
    Other because bacon
    I use both in PVP. On the Overload bar I cast Elude first then Boundless Strom. Looks epic and works pretty well.

For PVE though, I'm not sure I could recommend the stam cost.
    My ping is higher than your resource recovery...
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it very hard to maintain my stamina in Maelstrom arena as a Sorc. I doubt you can perfectly maintain both, evasion and cc break.

Lightning form also gives you more damage.
    And what people don't know: The higher your movement speed, the higher your attack speed= more damage
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • SantaOrc
    SantaOrc
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    I found it very hard to maintain my stamina in Maelstrom arena as a Sorc. I doubt you can perfectly maintain both, evasion and cc break.
    Besides using Evasion, I honestly though about buying a third Willpower Ring and enchant it with Stamina Regen. Could work great together with Dark Exchange.
    And what people don't know: The higher your movement speed, the higher your attack speed= more damage
    When using the Speed Buff in vMSA yesterday that were exactly my thoughts! Didn't know it, since it was just feeling like having less lag ^^'

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SantaOrc wrote: »
    Besides using Evasion, I honestly though about buying a third Willpower Ring and enchant it with Stamina Regen. Could work great together with Dark Exchange.
    When using the Speed Buff in vMSA yesterday that were exactly my thoughts! Didn't know it, since it was just feeling like having less lag ^^'

Yep, your attack animations will be much quicker, the higher your movement speed is.
    But this is only really usefull when you use spammable abilities.

Hm and wouldn't it be better to just use 1 magicka regen enchant instead of stamina regen ?
    Edited by Dracane on September 1, 2016 2:42PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see evidence to support this claim. Historically, there has only ever been a single ability to increase attack speed, and it was removed over a year ago.
    Edited by Autolycus on September 1, 2016 3:19PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »

I would like to see evidence to support this claim. Historically, there has only ever been a single ability to increase attack speed, and it was removed over a year ago.

Okay. Activate major expedition and weave your stuff and compare it to your normal attack speed :) Done, there is your evidence.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay. Activate major expedition and weave your stuff and compare it to your normal attack speed :) Done, there is your evidence.

No sir, this claim is completely false.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

M'am*
    And no, this "claim" is completely valid, as it's true.

Try it out. You will find that your rotations will go off much quicker.
    Sure, I can only speak for my Sorc using force shock, frags etc. But why would it be different with other classes ?
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

M'am*

Sure, I can only speak for my Sorc using force shock, frags etc. But why would it be different with other classes ?

My apologies, Ma'am**.

But a means to increase attack speed does not currently exist in ESO. I've been playing for 3 years, all classes, both pvp and pve. Historically, there has only ever been a single skill to increase attack speed; it was only available to NBs and was replaced with Grim Focus. I believe at one point in time, the Quick Serpent set added attack speed, but it's not currently designed to do so. (Edit: Actually, there were two skills. The other was a morph of Flurry, and don't forget we had Weighted traits, but none of these things exist anymore).

Major Expedition does not increase attack speed. Were this the case, every trials group on every platform and server would have it as a part of their standard "raid buffs." I run VO on my stam sorc, which grants Major Expedition every time I slay an enemy (and I use this in vMA where I'm killing something every couple seconds) and my attack speed remains constant.

Attack speed is not a consideration for dps parses; we don't build for it, it can't be stacked, and it can't be altered, at least not in today's game. Even those sets that provide Major Expedition do not reduce the ICD on light/heavy attacks. We can ani-cancel, which certainly gives the appearance of quicker attacks (of which I'm sure you are familiar), but it isn't shaving off any of the "cast time". It doesn't allow for speeding up animations.

Were I to see strong evidence to support this, I'd humbly back down. But given my current knowledge and experience, I'm certain that it does not increase attack speed.
    Edited by Autolycus on September 3, 2016 1:43PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

M'am*

My apologies, Ma'am**.

But a means to increase attack speed does not currently exist in ESO. I've been playing for 3 years, all classes, both pvp and pve. Historically, there has only ever been a single skill to increase attack speed; it was only available to NBs and was replaced with Grim Focus. I believe at one point in time, the Quick Serpent set added attack speed, but it's not currently designed to do so.

Major Expedition does not increase attack speed. Were this the case, every trials group on every platform and server would have it as a part of their standard "raid buffs." I run VO on my stam sorc, which grants Major Expedition every time I slay an enemy (and I use this in vMA where I'm killing something every couple seconds) and my attack speed remains constant.

Attack speed is not a consideration for dps parses; we don't build for it, it can't be stacked, and it can't be altered, at least not in today's game. Even those sets that provide Major Expedition do not reduce the ICD on light/heavy attacks. We can ani-cancel, which certainly gives the appearance of quicker attacks (of which I'm sure you are familiar), but it isn't shaving off any of the "cast time". It doesn't allow for speeding up animations.

Were I to see strong evidence to support this, I'd humbly back down. But given my current knowledge and experience, I'm certain that it does not increase attack speed.

The faster you move, the better your animation canceling gets
    That's why most people move all the time while weaving. It makes the animations more fluent.

Movement speed increases this even more. In pvp, it allows to really burn people down very fast.
    It's just 1s, and I will have landed 2 force shock weaves and 1 frag.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.