Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

We will be able to buy crown store items for others?

rotaugen454
rotaugen454
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Just got an e-mail saying they are (for a short time) going to let us buy crown store items for others. I could use this to buy mounts and outfits for my wife and son who do not play as much as I do. I can't really think of any major way this can be abused, as nothing in the store is P2W. Your thoughts?
"Get off my lawn!"
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for real life friends, yeah. people who i only know in-game. probably not, no.
    Invictus
  • thesilverball_ESO
    thesilverball_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the advantage of this if you have friends or family in game.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Saw a few folks over at Reddit that received this too. Didn't receive the email myself. In its innocence I think buying gifts would be awesome... But there's always those folks that wouldn't be buying gifts for their friends if ya know what I mean.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • ESO_Must_Be_F2P
    this mail is fake, i didnt got it
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's real. I checked the sender, replied, and got the auto-bot response for a ticket.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dad: Happy birthday Johnny.
    Mom: Happy birthday!
    Johnny: Wow, thanks!
    *opens box*
    Mimic stones.
    Mom: We never know what to get you, so now you can go craft yourself some new clothes.
    Dad: Any style you want.
    Mom: Try something new. If you don't like it, it was still on us.
    Johnny: Okay. Did you get me any motifs?
    Mom: ...
    Dad: What's that?
    Johnny: *** my life.
    signing off
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Does this email sound legit?

I'm asking cause it seems very phishing
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's real. I checked the sender, replied, and got the auto-bot response for a ticket.

The sender field of an email is trivially easy to fake. Without inspecting the headers to see if it's signed and/or if it originated from an authorized server, you can't really know.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

The sender field of an email is trivially easy to fake. Without inspecting the headers to see if it's signed and/or if it originated from an authorized server, you can't really know.

True, and I wouldn't do this unless it was announced officially. I'm just curious, as it seems like a good crown drain. If it's fake, then someone hacked all the e-mail addresses.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi folks,

This email is legitimate and related to a gifting program we're working on. We've sent it to only a small number of our players to start so we can get feedback and refine the program. If you're interested in helping us, please submit a Support ticket and we'll get you on the list!
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

This email is legitimate and related to a gifting program we're working on. We've sent it to only a small number of our players to start so we can get feedback and refine the program. If you're interested in helping us, please submit a Support ticket and we'll get you on the list!

Thank you for responding. They must have looked at my crown balance and thought "I bet he would spend those on family/friends!"
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Long time subscirbers with tons of crowns that they never use "gifting" crown items, getting gifts of "gold" in return.

People who have friends who quit contacting having them revive accounts to essentially shift crown balance, by way of items.

Suppose I could use my sub account to buy DLCs for my non sub account.

I don't personally think any thing I listed is bad, wrong, or abusive... I just think those are reasons ZOS hasn't let this happen before. Perhaps if it's true they are doing this, they are hoping people relinquish some of their crowns before the housing next year...

-edditing to add- I realize subscirbers isn't a word, but I haven't had my coffee yet.
    -second edit- gift should be in quotes not gold... getting my coffee now
    Edited by Runs on August 23, 2016 5:25PM
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I could send the Wrothgar bot a new costume!
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • GorraShatan
    GorraShatan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

So you guys are going down the CS:GO route of monetization? That's unfortunate IMHO, though likely lucrative at least over the short term.
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi folks,

I would only suggest never selling crowns for a discounted price ever again. You will have players buying tons of crowns (they already do when there is a crown sale), waiting for the sale to end, and then trying to make a profit selling store items for less than the crown store price yet more than what they paid for their crowns.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Congrats on a gifting system. Much needed :)
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Is it just the email about it that is being sent to a small number of people, or will the ability to gift the crown items only be available to those that got it?
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Soundwave
    Soundwave
    ✭✭✭
    Make everything on the crown store, be able to sell on guild trader. If u know friend that has crowns and need gold
    "yeah dude, so u need gold. Well that new mount that dropped I want it. I'll u 3 million for it."
  • VaniTealeaf
    VaniTealeaf
    ✭✭
    This is super awesome!! :):):)
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Oh, this is good news. :)
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose nothing in the crown store is P2W by iteslf, but the slippery slope is that this will effectively allow you to convert CASH to GOLD. As gold CAN be used to buy powerful items, it is absolutely starting to smell like P2W, albeit one step removed.

This already exists to some extent with crown mimic stones, but I havent seen it get out of hand as of yet. If they started selling Gold for Crowns, you better believe that would cross the line. Hard to see how this is really that much different if exploited.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good idea for making money ZOS . I support this method and will buy gift for friends this way .
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, a year ago, I would have liked to see this. How things change.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Soundwave
    Soundwave
    ✭✭✭
    So able to gift items to friends is good, but a box of random stuff is bad. I am so confused.
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soundwave wrote: »
    So able to gift items to friends is good, but a box of random stuff is bad. I am so confused.

So would gifting a box of random stuff to a friend be good or bad?
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double post... I blame forum lag.
    Edited by Divinius on August 23, 2016 9:15PM
  • NSObject
    NSObject
    ✭✭✭
    this will effectively allow you to convert CASH to GOLD...

Exactly. The (current) inability to do this was one of the only two reasons I got this game to begin with (the other is that it's an Elder Scrolls game).
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I have a tank I want to buy the IC dlc for so he can't get out of doing vWGT anymore! :D
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UnFreaking believable. GG.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NSObject wrote: »
    this will effectively allow you to convert CASH to GOLD...

Exactly. The (current) inability to do this was one of the only two reasons I got this game to begin with (the other is that it's an Elder Scrolls game).

It can already be done. WTS (insert exotic motif) armor. Your Silk and 5K with my style mat. You then use a mimic stone. This is not getting out of hand, because even rare style stones arent that expensive, and this would take a fair amount of work, but its already in the game.

Now expand that, want to sell a fancy mount for 50,000 gold. You just paid cash for gold. Period, end of story.