Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can I only have staff and bow?

happymaarit
happymaarit
✭✭✭
Hey :smiley:

I have tried a few characters up to around level 7, with different weapons and came to the conclusion that I love the sorcerer with lightning staff and the bow.

Can I only have those two for casual gaming or do I need a two handed or something also?

Best Answers

• Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Mojmir .
    This combination is not really good.

You need to decide what kind of character you want to play - a magicka or a stamina one.
    Stamina characters usually rely mainly on weapon abilities, but there are many weapon skill lines that gain strength from max stamina and weapon damage:
    • One Hand and Shield
    • Two Handed
    • Bow
    • Dual Wield
    Magicka users have only two weapon skill lines that draw power from max magicka and spell damage:
    • Destruction Staff
    • Restoration Staff
    BUT! most of the class abilities from each class are magicka abilities, few of which have a stamina morph.
    You can check the abilities and their morphs on this page.

You can easily identify which abilities are magicka or stamina by looking at their cost.
    Also, magicka abilities will almost always deal fire, frost, lightning, or magic damage, while stamina abilities will almost always deal physical, poison or disease damage.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
    Answer ✓
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I guessed it was so.

I only put exp in health for now, I think it is time to decide what way to go so I thought I ask before I start :)

You can always re-allocate your attributes (and skill points)
    Those re-allocation shrines are found in the Capital of each alliance (Elden Root/Mournhold/Wayrest).

Depending on which build you want to make, I suggest you put all the rest of the attributes into that resource.
    At endgame, it is best to have attributes all into max magicka or max stamina (64 total), then raise your health with enchantments if you feel you lack health. Otherwise enchant everything with stamina or magicka.
    Unless you decide to build a tank, in which case you might want to invest some attributes into health. But I would not suggest building a tank until you are at least level 50, this is when you will have plenty of group content to participate in. Playing a tank character solo is not really viable.

One particular thing you should keep in mind:
    - max magicka increases the power of your magicka skills
    - max stamina increases the power of your stamina skills
    You should always strive to have as much resource as possible to maximize your damage. So make sure you have your gear enchanted, it really helps.
    Edited by Dubhliam on August 6, 2016 12:41PM
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
    Answer ✓
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some magicka characters will use dual-wield swords because the game is coded that this gives the highest possible spell power boost of any weapon. (This is because of the damage of the two swords, plus a passive under the dual wield tree).

This does carry disadvantages, though. You must rely on class and guild active skills, for starters, since the weapon skills are weak for a magicka character. Also, you get magicka back from heavy attacking with any staff, but stamina for heavy attacks from dual wielding. Also, you get ultimate generation only from light/medium/heavy attacking with your weapon, meaning you need to either swap bars a lot, attack with a less than optimal weapon, or give up ultimate.

Dual wield is certainly a viable option for a magicka character! I just would not recommend it unless you already have a firm grasp on weaponry options plus a strong understanding of all the everyday parts of the game first.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
    Answer ✓
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    problem is those weapons draw from different resources,staff-magicka and bow-stamina.casually sure,but don't expect to go very far with that at end game content.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea sadly the game isn't really as much play as you want as they claim.otherwise I'd rock a staff like a monk not a mage.
    Edited by Mojmir on August 6, 2016 10:56AM
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I guessed it was so.

I only put exp in health for now, I think it is time to decide what way to go so I thought I ask before I start :)
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you intent to play just for fun why not? You can use a bow and staff.

But listen to other's advice, because I guess you will eventually want to run dungeons/trials/pvp and get good, you will eventually have to choose between stamina or magicka.
    Edited by itehache on August 6, 2016 2:19PM
  • Treemagnet
    Treemagnet
    ✭✭✭
    As a Sorcerer your survival skills are the Unstable Clannfer and Winged Twilight Matriarch. With those you can usually destruction staff attack and not get bothered by mele attackers getting near you. Plus both of these summons can heal you and themselves during combat. I would suggest a One Hand and Shield alternate set for the blocking and extra armor rating from the shield. Just be sure to to have your UC and WTM slots filled on both weapon sets. You may have to summon them again when you switch but it does not take long.

Just my Dollars worth (What two cents worth is after inflation :)
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    Treemagnet wrote: »
    Just my Dollars worth (What two cents worth is after inflation :)

LOL @Treemagnet
    And I will look up those summons so I put points in right places, I am having a hard time to know where to put them, afraid I do it wrong :)

But I made my sixth character today and I have High Elf/Sorcerer now, think it will be good.
    But I think I saw that dual blade use magica, wouldn't that be a good second class?
  • zZzleepyhead
    zZzleepyhead
    ✭✭✭
    This game is geared for the casual. Do what you want!

Don't expect to be much help in group content like dungeons or PvP, but for solo questing. Suuurrre