The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Macroing: Acceptable or not?

• Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    Tonnopesce wrote: »
    Tons of heavy armored s&b dk's use macros for " light attack => puncture => bash => reverberating bash => block " tipe of combo and is funny how all this people pass the anti cheat without issues even if is a 1 second combo.
    Erock25 wrote: »
    I don't care how well you set up a macro, you can't do anything faster than the animation system allows. Even with animation canceling, you can not fit a large amount of abilities into a small time frame. You can use a basic weapon attack, an ability, a roll dodge, a bash and an ultimate all into one "animation window". No macro can overcome that without some sort of cheat program. Macroing is pointless and detrimental (it doesn't work well, especially with any lag) to your game play. If you think someone is pulling off four of a single ability (Surprise Attack) within one second, it has nothing to do with macros. They're hacking.

Really ?
    Because the last time i've checked with a macro you can push AC to the limit, at the point that reapply your buffs result in a couple of weapon switch without see any ability cast.

You cannot break game mechanics and reapply buffs faster than you could do it manually. It is so easy to apply a buff without the animation happening that most people don't even pay attention to it but instead of learning how to do it I guess it's easier to accuse people of macroing on the forums. Also there is a timer on every ability, so even though you could technically macro them you can only do an ability, light attack and a bash in a second which is tricky but still very much manageable manually, but not multiple abilities.
    I'm very surprised so many people believe that everyone who can weave animations properly are using macros because it's *obviously* impossible to do it by yourself. Not to mention you have to adjust yourself to the ping and to the situation you find yourself in which a macro cannot do.
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    If macro is look like cheating why do keyboard from example logitech and other game keyboard support macro then?
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • DeadDealer
    DeadDealer
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    If macro is look like cheating why do keyboard from example logitech and other game keyboard support macro then?

because macro is not cheating in ALL GAMES
    only in part of

@Wolfshead
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There are some games that are fine with macro usage and macros are very useful, even outside of games. For example I have a macro that when I press F12 it opens ESO from my start menu and automatically types in my username + password and then presses enter. Same with CS:GO and Hearthstone.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Macros are allowed.

In cases of bad latency, framerate and fps then it is ill adviced to use macros, as it can cause you a heavy dps loss. This is why many of the top raiders do not use macros, or when they do it's for their spamable skill, so they don't ruin their hands by pushing the 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 buttons on the keyboard lol
    -that only goes for the players without a mice with many buttons, those who do just use that particular button on the mice, and don't setup a macro for it.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lohworm wrote: »
    I think :
    macro for "type / d a n c e d u n m e r " => ok
    macro for "type 1 left click type 2 left click type 1 left click type R" => not OK

While I agree, ZOS does not.

Don't do either.

Yeah, I should have added this to my comment - it is just an opinion though, I am using neither a game mouse nor a gaming keyboard - I use my fingers only and I tend to hit the wrong keys very often, due to lack of practice - but I will improve over time.
    Edited by Lysette on August 1, 2016 11:57AM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Cronopoly wrote: »
    I think the most accepted "Macro" that has to be in play by ALL competitive PVPer's is CC break. Bam! ,hit one button and on with your CC immunity for 8 seconds. I suck at cc in the middle of battle admittedly and don't have a programmable keyboard so get stuck all the time in CC far too long lol.

You don't need a "maco" for that, I went to settings and reset the middle mouse button as my "cc break".

Doesn't work well, but then neither does banging on both L & R mouse keys (the default way)

Yes, set up a single key for this - it is more reliable than L&R mouse - which might or might not work, a key press functions more often.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanzen wrote: »
    Only macro that works is the animation cancel one.

You can put a light attack before any of your abilities ... (or a bash attack after or both)

Anything "longer" will mess your rotations.

Is it legit ?

Am not sure.

It is certainly not legit, if you combine 2 actions into one with a macro.
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Macros are allowed.

In cases of bad latency, framerate and fps then it is ill adviced to use macros, as it can cause you a heavy dps loss. This is why many of the top raiders do not use macros, or when they do it's for their spamable skill, so they don't ruin their hands by pushing the 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 buttons on the keyboard lol
    -that only goes for the players without a mice with many buttons, those who do just use that particular button on the mice, and don't setup a macro for it.

Macros are most definitely not allowed.
    @ZOS_AlanG wrote:
    Thank you for providing the quote, using macros is against the terms of service. We certainly don't mind a thread being created to ask about this, but this is starting to delve into more detail than is acceptable on the forums so we are locking this thread.

The relevant TOS part is:
    You agree not to use any hardware or software or any other method of support that is not authorized by ZeniMax or that may in any way influence or advantage Your playing abilities, or influence or advantage Your use of the Services. Third party tools, the use of ‘bots’, “speed hacks”, “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider”, algorithm or other programs that copy or monitor any part of the Services (including, but not limited to, the Game(s) and/or forums).

As a "top raider" in this game I can promise you with 100% accuracy that no-one end-game in the top PvE guilds is using macros for any part of their gameplay during Trials or Dungeons.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By the same reason the weapon industry creates automatic weapons and offers them to the public, even those are forbidden to own as a private person in pretty much any country. They do not just produce those for military use, but intentionally they count on private persons, who will buy and own them illegally.
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why?
    If they allow macroing, then you too can do this, thus there be no advantage to whomever.
    It would be a choice as to either use it or not.
    IMHO they should allow it, not everyone can compete on certain levels (lost both four arms and a toe or something in a trike accident when they were 2, example), while, IMHO, they should be able too.
    IMHO, it's not an unfair tool...
    Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
    "Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it very hard for a company to go against what the gaming industry is pushing and forbid such devices.
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well almost all pro gamer today use macro keyboard and mouses so yes i understand what most say here but it is funny how some company see it as cheating and other dont but i think it hard question really to say who is right and who is wrong.

One thing that funny about macro use is WoW blizzard did not allow from start but when more and more youtuber that was stream WoW on there page was use macro mouse and keyboard the allow it.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • VarilRau
    VarilRau
    ✭✭✭
    Cously wrote: »
    The same could be argued for uses with multiple monitors or a monster PC or connection that can handle ESO no lag or fps loss. So in this instance macroing shouldn't be blame but the in game system that allows macros to be made.

Well. luckily ESO runs on the same 10fps in trials with a GTX1080 and 144hrz screen.. regardless of the computer.

Varil Rau, Mag sorcerer
    Viiltoveikko, Stam sorcerer
    Meadshield, nord dragonknight

DC EU
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    VarilRau wrote: »
    Cously wrote: »
    The same could be argued for uses with multiple monitors or a monster PC or connection that can handle ESO no lag or fps loss. So in this instance macroing shouldn't be blame but the in game system that allows macros to be made.

Well. luckily ESO runs on the same 10fps in trials with a GTX1080 and 144hrz screen.. regardless of the computer.
    Makes you think: "Why do I have all this hypertech, why did I play that much, if it is of no use?", right? XD
    Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
    "Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly why PC/Console gaming on the same server would never work. Many players on PC use keyboard macros which put them at a huge advantage over console players, particularly in PvP.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jkolb2030 wrote: »
    If you have a macro that is animation canceling and tying multiple skills together to come out faster than intended, I would say that is the negative macro that should not be allowed.

It has to be hard to set up a macro like that tho because of all of the animation cancelling that you would have to account for. It would be damn impressive if someone did manage to set one up like that with all the perfect timings tho..

Go play in Cyrodiil in the off-hours and be "damn impressed". :D
    Erock25 wrote: »
    I don't care how well you set up a macro, you can't do anything faster than the animation system allows. Even with animation canceling, you can not fit a large amount of abilities into a small time frame.

Unfortunately, you can.

To be clear: Using macros is officially labeled cheating by Zenimax. But I know several guildies who play the game with macro-programmed keyboards or mice and Zenimax hasn't reacted to one of them. So I suppose there is no detection system for it.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    This is exactly why PC/Console gaming on the same server would never work. Many players on PC use keyboard macros which put them at a huge advantage over console players, particularly in PvP.

Many?
    Do you have statistics on that? Source?
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    We've closed this thread as discussing potential exploits should be kept to this discussion.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.