The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Announcing The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Announcing The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition, which is available for pre-order today and includes The Elder Scrolls Online and the first four DLC game packs.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • ItsGlaive
    ItsGlaive
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as this is clearly aimed at new players, I guess the first question has to be - will existing player who've already purchased also be given these DLCs too? :)
    Allow cross-platform transfers and merges
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dag, yo. I paid that much for just the base game. :disappointed:

Not a bad deal though for new people. I still wonder if there's going to be any sort of DLC bundle at some point.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is aimed at attracting new players and all but are you also considering a bundle that has the 4 DLC + palomino for your current players?
  • Sk0lzkiy
    Sk0lzkiy
    Soul Shriven
    ^This
    I bought the game week or two ago and now I see, that I wasted my money, since crowns I need to get all those DLCs cost more than the gold edition...
    Edited by Sk0lzkiy on July 6, 2016 9:55PM
  • Fukutsu
    Fukutsu
    ✭✭
    This feels kind of like a middle finger. I am a newer player, and I have just recently paid for the base game, and all of those DLCs too. Now everything I paid for will be part of the base game purchase . I could have saved a lot of money. IT EVEN COMES WITH A MOUNT!

Great for new players, but not sure why you're so excited to put this in my game launcher menu. I like what you're doing for the game, but this being part of my "eso news" was stupid imo.
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wondering when this would happen, it's a typical stage in any Online Games life. Good choice to include all the way up to Dark Brotherhood. Makes the game feel more like those things were part and parcel of the base game.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO LONG TIME SUBSCRIBERS! WE'RE ENTITLED TO..... THINGS.... AND... ANd stuff...

Whoa... Almost got me that time.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO LONG TIME SUBSCRIBERS! WE'RE ENTITLED TO..... THINGS.... AND... ANd stuff...

Whoa... Almost got me that time.

.................lol...
    ****Master Healer...****
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that the first 4 DLCs are important additions, this is a good move. It essentially becomes the new "base game" (the actual base game being a discounted edition).
    These DLCs have features that a lot of people do not think the game should have launched without, after all. Imperial City for Oblivion fans, TG and DB for pretty much any TES fan, and an Orsimer homeland for... Orsimer fans (like me! I mean, every other race had at least one map on release!).
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Creepy
    Creepy
    Well this really sucks. I bought this game for $60 a couple of months back and I could have payed the same price and gotten more than double the value. It angers me because I could have gotten more for my dollar, but I can't stay angry because I know it will attract a lot of TES fans who love the Dark Brother hood and Thieves Guild. I just hope we get some sort of deal in the Crown Store.
    PC: @Creepiest-Dog
    Xbox: creepiestdog457
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats funny is the article saying hey talk about it here on the forums, when everyone on the forums already has the game lol. So, how does this impact us? What happens to those who already bought the game?
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's fine, i like it.
    But where's DLC bundle for those who already have base game?
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, it is available for PRE-ORDER... when is it available?

Edit: Answer is apparently September 9
    Edited by Elsonso on July 6, 2016 10:28PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Xeroxed
    Xeroxed
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the headline, read the price, and the FIRST thing that popped into my head was that there'd be existing players asking where the heck their free DLC is. I don't think they EVER lowered the price on say, Guild Wars or the expansions, so being an early adopter at least didn't screw you. XD
    More of me on the 'Net: Julia Grammer
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    The palomino horse is a nice touch.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xeroxed wrote: »
    I saw the headline, read the price, and the FIRST thing that popped into my head was that there'd be existing players asking where the heck their free DLC is. I don't think they EVER lowered the price on say, Guild Wars or the expansions, so being an early adopter at least didn't screw you. XD

Maybe not GW, but GW2 made their base game free around the time they launched their first expansion pack. First they made it a bundle: Buy the expansion pack, get the base game free. Then they went all the way and made the base game completely free to play. I don't know the details because I left the game a couple of months before that, though.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    In other words: "We finally finished the base game: here it is." :wink:

It is really nice for people who waited till now to get into ESO. For those of us who have been here a while, we already have a ton of experience, mounts, costumes, all that, so it's not so much a middle finger or anything...

And if you haven't subscribed by now, what are you waiting for? It's only going to become a better deal with time, not to mention the crowns you get each time it renews.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's obviously just just a marketing thing to get new players to pay a higher price. It's an initial purchase upsell.

What is interesting to me is that in it's current form the expansions aren't really for new players. Yeah, send your new 10th level character with no champion points to Imperial City, lol.

This is the revenue model for ESO going forward.

1 - Sell the game as to new customers as B2P, with bargains and special prices to get more new players in. They will check it out, have some fun, but will eventually either eventually drop the game or move on to more advanced game play.

2 - Advanced players have the decision to subscribe or to continue on a B2P model. Zenimax wants you to subscribe and will continue to offer little perks to current subscribers (and take away the perks if you stop). If you are a long-term hardcore player and don't want to subscribe you will continue to feel like others are getting benefits you are not. They aren't game changers so it's not pay to win, but are more like time savers.
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's nice. I have a friend who's waiting a bit to buy a PS4 to play ESO, now he won't have to buy the base game plus every DLC at full price to catch up and play with me, if he doesn't want to subscribe that is. :)
  • Cydone
    Cydone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there gonna be an non-crown option to buy JUST the DLC's? I mean I already paid $80 for the IE before the game launched.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm prob a good deal for Xbox one
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Durnik
    Durnik
    ✭✭✭
    No love for existing players...

To buy all the 4 DLC's it costs 9,500 crown. So if you buy (2) 5,500 crown packs for 39.99 each then that's $79.98. So, ya, great for new players but what about existing people? I bought the Imperial Edition as well (as soon as it was released) and got 0 included DLC's. I do understand that for a new player it would suck to drop 50 bucks on the game then 80 on expansion packs but hey, isn't that the way it typically works anyway? It's what I did. It would be nice if some thought would be given to existing players/account holders.

Problem: Player has been with the game for a long time, has got several champion 160 characters but owns no DLC's packs. To get them it would cost $79.98 or start a new account with new characters (which would suck) for $59.99.

Solution: You have to reduce the cost of the DLC's that are out there for people who are not gold edition buyers. If the 4 DLC's go down to say, 750 crown each the player would able to get them all for 3,000 crowns (or $39.99). Future DLC's can be 2k like the majority of them are.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good marketing strategy. Not a new idea, by any means, but still I think it will bring quite a few more people on board.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried looking to pre-order this version through Amazon but I do not see it on their website.

Also, will players who possess only the vanilla copy of the game be able to add on the Gold Edition to their already existing account?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might be time to get a new account =)
    Edited by DocFrost72 on July 7, 2016 1:16AM
  • BGruchallab14_ESO
    BGruchallab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the Imperial Edition for my XBox One and would like to know if I bought the Gold Edition; Would I get the DLCs with it or not?
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me see. First 4 DLC, check. Palomino horse. Check. 500 crowns. Check.

Beta monkey. Check. Tiger senche. Check. I guess mine is the platinum version.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you buy an Imperial Edition and activate it on an account that already has the base game, it just adds the Imperial perks to your account.

If this works the same way, then you can just buy a Gold Edition and activate it on an existing account to get all the DLCs. No need to start up a new account, unless you actually want a second account...
    Edited by code65536 on July 7, 2016 2:03AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks good.. I wish I didn't already have all the DLCs.. I'd buy it. I hope it attracts lots of new players! :)
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    No love for existing players...

To buy all the 4 DLC's it costs 9,500 crown. So if you buy (2) 5,500 crown packs for 39.99 each then that's $79.98. So, ya, great for new players but what about existing people? I bought the Imperial Edition as well (as soon as it was released) and got 0 included DLC's. I do understand that for a new player it would suck to drop 50 bucks on the game then 80 on expansion packs but hey, isn't that the way it typically works anyway? It's what I did. It would be nice if some thought would be given to existing players/account holders.

Problem: Player has been with the game for a long time, has got several champion 160 characters but owns no DLC's packs. To get them it would cost $79.98 or start a new account with new characters (which would suck) for $59.99.

Solution: You have to reduce the cost of the DLC's that are out there for people who are not gold edition buyers. If the 4 DLC's go down to say, 750 crown each the player would able to get them all for 3,000 crowns (or $39.99). Future DLC's can be 2k like the majority of them are.

5500 crowns costs me $53 ESO plus is $15. The imperial edition cost me like $180. I hit ripped off lol already pumped extra hundreds of dollars into this game and I still have to pay for dlcs. Suppose be loyal you get shafted.
    Edited by AJ_1988 on July 7, 2016 2:18AM