Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Launches in Japan"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
6b7c737a2b98d9af32165a7de31039e5.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the blog article ESO Launches in Japan. We're very excited to welcome gamers from Japan to The Elder Scrolls Online, starting today. Read this article for all the details.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • dokupe
    dokupe
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Japan, but it's too bad I don't know anyone else who games on PC here ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌.

Is there going to be a Japanese forum?
    Edited by dokupe on June 22, 2016 2:36PM
    Future Gadget Lab is recruiting adventurers like yourself for endgame PvE content! Interested in joining? Hop on the discord and leave a message! https://discord.gg/BTKX7T5
  • Llevndryn
    Llevndryn
    ✭✭✭
    こんにちは!
  • iRainbowsaur
    iRainbowsaur
    Soul Shriven
    Question.

Since its opened up to Japanese players, do you plan to possibly create campaigns that fit the needs of those players? Needs being local campaign servers or SEA campaigns to help deal with latency issues? Not sure if this is even possible or if its a thing, but if you really wanted to appeal to the new players I'd recommend doing so.

I am not Japanese but being an EX-player from Australia due to annoyance having high ping inside PVP, the idea of possibly having access to a PVP server with significantly lower ping is quite appealing.
    Edited by iRainbowsaur on June 22, 2016 2:52PM
  • Lariana
    Lariana
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing from Japan almost since launch on EU, I'm sad we won't be able to meet any more here :(
    Not even daedra have two left feet!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, they do not get the option to play on the EU server?

Also, this is PC/Mac only? No console?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe they do, but it defaults to NA.
  • Cazero
    Cazero
    Soul Shriven
    How can you type in Japanese in game as an American account/player?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would they want to play on the EU server?

You can't use physical geography here--when it comes to Internet topology, the world is quite literally centered around the US. Most traffic between east Asia and Europe pass through North America. For people in Asia and Oceania, the EU server is far more distant topologically than the NA server.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

For the same reason I would want to play on EU, people I know are on that server.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oo imagine the lagg they will have...

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Techkey1
    Techkey1
    ✭✭
    Welcome and I look forward to playing with all from Japan!
    CP 477 | Dark Elf | Dragon Knight DPS | Ebonheart Pact | Solo Player | No alts

More of a solo player. Learning to be more guild social lol. LOVING THE MORROWIND EXPANSION!!!

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
    Life is what I live.
    Death I will never see.
    Immortality awaits me.
  • Lariana
    Lariana
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

You can't use physical geography here--when it comes to Internet topology, the world is quite literally centered around the US. Most traffic between east Asia and Europe pass through North America. For people in Asia and Oceania, the EU server is far more distant topologically than the NA server.

Another thing, the EU server is already incredibly diverse when it comes to languages; it was probably a good decision to have Japanese players on the NS server. More people are always nice, but zone chat would have gotten even more confusing. I also believe NA servers are less crowded than EU ones, based on things I've read here and there, but I may be wrong.
    Cazero wrote: »

I've been trying this as well on the EU server, but with no success so far :( The client definitely has Japanese support, as I can copy and paste Japanese text into and chat and also change the input languages, but that's all. I can't type any characters into chat, Microsoft IME seems to be disabled whenever I switch to my game. I'm not sure if this is because I'm on EU and typing in Japanese is disabled, or something else, but I would like to be able to type in the chat!
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yay! Finally!
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • atreides
    atreides
    ✭✭
    Will we be able to switch to the Japanese language in NA?
  • valthierX
    valthierX
    ✭✭
    I thought there was going to be an Asian server.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kon'nichiwa!

Welcome all those from the Land of the Rising Sun.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dokupe wrote: »
    I live in Japan, but it's too bad I don't know anyone else who games on PC here ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌.

Is there going to be a Japanese forum?

I live in Japan. Not Japanese, but I've been playing from here since the game started. And a big welcome to the new Japanese players.

Edit: Too bad it's not listed on this computer site yet. https://www.pc-koubou.jp/pc/gaming-pc.php?pre=cmm_lga_002

Edit 2: Found this blog someone's making. http://blog.livedoor.jp/eso1990/archives/25203225.html Very nice videos to show how combat is done. I'll have to check it out more.
    Edited by maxjapank on June 23, 2016 2:27AM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome new players! :smiley:
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • HisShadowX
    HisShadowX
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome honorable warriors from Japan!
  • Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the party! こんにちは
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • aheinel
    aheinel
    Soul Shriven
    I also live in Japan and have been in the game since the beginning of time.

Maybe now is a good time to start a guild in Japan.

contact me at mana69
    @Mana69

ESOTR listener
    Tales of Tamriel listener
    In Japan
    PS4 NA Server
    Templar
    Father
    Gamer
    Teacher
    Friend
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope it takes off well and we see a good influx of new community members for the game.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • engapol
    engapol
    Soul Shriven
    Will be good to get some new players, NA PC I believe is the least populated server.
  • Cy'el
    Cy'el
    >>>Ahh... fresh meat... I mean... welcome, welcome...
    "AE CHIM NU-MEN NU-MANTIA"
  • eselouis
    eselouis
    Awesome, now fix the LAG!
  • lynkin
    lynkin
    ✭✭
    Is there a way for people who purchased the game from Zenimax to play the with Japanese locale?
  • camknox
    camknox
    ✭✭✭
    Lariana wrote: »

It's sad that most Americans think this way. The world is absolutely not centred around the USA. There are perfectly good, high speed pipelines between Japan and the EU. There are also perfectly good pipelines between Japan and Australia. Once again game manufacturers fail to realise that a localised Oceanic server would increase the likelihood of players from the region taking up their game.
    Cazero wrote: »

The game draws the native type language from what your computer has set as the default keyboard. Change to Japanese language and keyboard layout and the game will follow suit. Of course you will have no real idea what you are typing (so maybe don't). If you do wish to converse do so, in English, as the majority of gamers will already speak some, or a lot, of it already. Alternatively enrich your life and learn a new language; the english version of Japanese typed is called Hiragana.

https://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/howjpdo.html
  • Lariana
    Lariana
    ✭✭✭✭
    @camknox Way to misquote me on that :/

And I've tried typing in Japanese but haven't managed. Let me know if you figure out how to do so.
    Edited by Lariana on June 27, 2016 10:51AM
  • incognito222
    incognito222
    ✭✭✭
    Konichiwa !

Happy to see many new players in starting zones ... I can remember how exciting it was to escape Coldharbour prison with endless waves of other players on PC release day, couple of years ago. The Daedra there were simply overrun !

Then to emerge in starting zone running around clueless and amazed to see how beautiful ESO universe is. I hope our new Japanese friends are experiencing similar levels of excitement upon embarking on this wonderful journey.

I imagine it would be awesome if players ran around in PVP as a coordinated group, all wearing Akaviri motif armor dyed in white and red, while wielding Katanas (Soul Shriven motif swords) as a 'Samurai Army' to celebrate the arrival of ESO Japan players. We bid ESO Japan players welcome !

Really excited for the future of this game and I would like to thank ZOS for doing 'something' as I can experience a marked improvement in skill delays and PVP lag the past few days. No doubt, launch of ESO Japan had something to do with it.

@ZOS_DaryaK , @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , @ZOS_AlanG ... please convey our thanks and best regards to the ESO Team at ZOS, I look forward to a brighter and better Tamriel for all players worldwide.

Wish everyone a pleasant fun filled weekend and see you in Tamriel !
    * Playing from Indonesia *
  • lnxrwb17_ESO
    lnxrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Since now ESO is fully translated in Japanese, can we have an option to switch to Japanese language?
    I happen to have a friend who learned Japanese instead of English in college, now there surely can be a chance to bring him to Tamriel with us.

Please come to China someday we're so tired of WOW and GW2
    Raka-loah, from China. Currently the one and only member of Planetary Lizard Alliance(NA).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."