Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Struggling with my characters - Suggestions?

BlitzGirl41
BlitzGirl41
✭✭
Hello, everyone. First time I've posted here.

So I have a few characters, not many of which I've really stuck with. I think my highest level character is level 10-15. With all of my characters, I find that I struggle to level them up, and I always feel very underpowered, both in terms of offense and defense, regardless of whether I am playing a light or heavy armored character. I also tend to struggle with knowing where to put my skill points early on, and fear stretching the points out too much (like what can happen in, say, Skyrim). These issues then make it hard for me to stick with a character for long, since I am not being very successful in properly building my character. Also, as a side-note, the sparse class selections, with practically no way to customize them (my impression so far) increases my chances of getting bored with my characters. I don't struggle nearly as much with Skyrim, in comparison.

Having said all of that...does anyone here have any good tips/suggestions on how to make a good/survivable character, regardless of class/weapon/armor type? Just pretend that I am a complete newbie, here! ;)
Edited by BlitzGirl41 on May 18, 2016 3:23PM
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could pick one of the four classes as your favorite so far which would it be?

or, would you prefer to be a tank, healer or dps?

We'll need some basic info before we can really dive into how to improve what you're doing :)

Also take a look at https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/60795/the-elder-scrolls-online-new-player-guide#latest and the player guides category of the forums in general for some useful beginner tips.

and https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/75939/tips-you-wish-youd-known-from-the-start
    Edited by Cuyler on May 18, 2016 3:53PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What platform and server are you on?

First you need to figure out wich class really fits you. Advice will be different for each class. Leveling takes a long time in this game, so it's extremely important early on to pick a character you like and jive well with, rather than trying to go for what people say is powerful or best. Balance changes frequently, so don't concern yourself with how powerful your class is right now.

Most characters don't Start to come together and feel capable until the 20-30 range, when you start unlocking higher level abilities. It's always a struggle to get through the lower levels, just try and enjoy the story and environment along the way. Also, if you're interested in crafting at all, start working on it early.

At low levels, put all of your attribute points into whichever resource you plan to use. Don't try to be a hybrid: pick magicka or stamina and go all in. Hybrids don't work in this game. Also male sure you're using the right kind of armor and weapon for your choice: light for magicka, medium for stamina. Don't use heavy until later levels if you want to tank. Use a melee weapon or bow for stamina, and a staff for magicka.

Also note that your class skill lines level up by having an ability from that line on your hotbar when you gain experience. You always want to have at least one ability from each class skill tree on your bar while leveling to make sure all 3 trees will rank up as you level.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I'll try to explain as much as I can remember (currently at work, so no access to the game).

* I have the game on PC, and play on North America servers.
    * I'm pretty game for most kinds of classes, though I am very anti-"thief" (not a fan of using daggers in RPGs like this, and stealth is not my thing).
    * My two highest level characters are:
    1) A Khajit Sorceror (about level 14, I think) - I have a minion follow me into battle to try to make up for my low defense and attack, and use the damaging spells (the "shard shot" and the "lightning strike"). Wears light armor/robes.
    2) Khajit Dragonknight (around level 14 as well), but I've since given up on that character. She had been using S+B with the different fire attacks, and wore medium/leather armor.
    * I also have other toons that are only a few levels, such as a Redguard Templar, but, again, they are very low.
    * At this point, I'd be tempted to just start a toon over. Probably would be Khajit again since I love Khenarthi's Roost a lot. But, yes, choosing a class is tricky, as I prefer to be flexible and not 100% tank or things like that...

Hope this clarifies...?
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hardest part about leveling up a character are the first 30 levels. It's because you have basically no skill points, don't have access to skills that make it easy to quest, and if you're a new player, you don't have much experience.

Once you get through the first 25 to 30 levels, you suddenly get skill points, and have a lot of abilities, and it makes leveling a lot easier. And this applies for any class or build.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    The hardest part about leveling up a character are the first 30 levels. It's because you have basically no skill points, don't have access to skills that make it easy to quest, and if you're a new player, you don't have much experience.

Once you get through the first 25 to 30 levels, you suddenly get skill points, and have a lot of abilities, and it makes leveling a lot easier. And this applies for any class or build.

Yeah, that's rough. Nearly every single RPG I play does not limit you in such a way, and getting to level 30 is a breeze in comparison. Even Skyrim and Oblivion didn't feel this restrictive. And I do feel bad about how I am struggling with this game and giving up before I can even reach level 20. I really do love the idea of the game, and the environments are the most beautiful of any MMORPG I've ever seen - the environments really are what I have always wanted in terms of such a game. So I'd hate to give up.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BlitzGirl41 early in the game basically everyone is a dps. Only later on in group play does the roles of tank/healer/dps start to become a factor. If you're looking for options in this regard, the Magic Templar is the most versatile and makes a great dps, tank or healer. Runner up would be magic Nightblade which also make great tanks and dps, they also great off-healers. The easiest class to solo level for me was the Templar and NB as well.

Dragonknight is the best for tank and dps mostly, healing not so much. Sorcerer the best for dps and require significant skill to make good tanks or healers.

The passive healing from a NB makes them a very survivable class. You heal as you do damage. The Templar is the only class that has a powerful burst heal, and due to this are the preferred class for healers in end game.

Now this all talks to class and excludes race, and you mention you like Khajiit? Khajiit is primarily used for stamina builds that use daggers, 2 handed swords and bows, (2 stamina racial passives)which you've said is not really your playstyle. You can go with a magic build khajiit, however you'll lose out some magic regen, or max magic which will partially stunt damage.

If you like the Aldmeri Dominion (aka AD, and starting in Khenarthi's Roost) you have a native race option when you prefer magic builds. That is Altmer (high elf). This would keep you in AD. The other option is purchasing the Explorer's Pack, which will allow you to create any race in any alliance. That way you could use ANY race and still be AD.

If your not concerned about min/max your build, and just here to have fun, then pick whatever race you prefer, just be aware that some races jive better with either magic or stam.

Edit: The game opens up significantly at lvl 15, when you unlock the ability to use both of your ability bars. Lvls 1-15 are kind of the "testing the waters" period where you'll be unlocking your skills first and getting a feel for what each one does.
    Edited by Cuyler on May 18, 2016 4:36PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I'll try to explain as much as I can remember (currently at work, so no access to the game).

* I have the game on PC, and play on North America servers.

Are you going to play tonight? I can run with you and show you some things in the game. I can also get you in a couple of guilds that have some good players that are always willing to help a person out. I will make you some gear and show you how to do rotations and leverage the character.

Send me an email to @Nestor in the game and I will be on about 6PM Mountain time. An hour or so with me and the game will be vastly different experience for you. No need to throw out any of your characters, yet anyway.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing I would recommend is always look at the level of enemies and quests. Go to the ones that are the lowest level. If you do the starter islands, do the PvP training, do the guild and main quests, and do the crafting writ training, you should be able to get enough XP to stay ahead of the lowest level quests still available in your current zone.

Combat does take practice. Make sure you kill all the things you come across that are lower level than you or that you are comfortable killing.

It seems you already figured out to not spread your skillpoints too thin and to use more heavy armor early in the game. If you are really struggling, joining a friendly guild and asking someone to craft decent gear can help you bridge the gap. Some guilds have members who will do this for free because they like helping guild members have a good initial experience in the game.
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    Question: Can a Dragonknight or Templar successfully wear medium armor? Because if I choose a Khajit for my new toon, medium armor would be best for that race alone, correct?
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    Second Question: Is Stamina Dragonknight viable as well? I see that basically all of the classes have Magicka-using attacks, which is disheartening, but Stamina would help with survivability in other regards.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Question: Can a Dragonknight or Templar successfully wear medium armor? Because if I choose a Khajit for my new toon, medium armor would be best for that race alone, correct?

Medium armor is best for stamina based toons; Khajit have racial passives that work better for stamina. Both DKs and Templars can be stamina, but DK is the better stamina choice. That said, a Templar, either stamina or magicka, might suit you with the holy warrior vibe they have. Magicka templar is, IMO, the most versatile and easiest class to solo on.
    Second Question: Is Stamina Dragonknight viable as well? I see that basically all of the classes have Magicka-using attacks, which is disheartening, but Stamina would help with survivability in other regards.

Stamina DKs are very powerful, and getting buffed in the next DLC. Initially, you are going to use your magicka-based DK skills for utility, using your smaller magicka pool resources. Many can later be morphed into stamina skills, but much of your stamina-based damage is going to come from your weapon skill lines.

You can't chance race, class or alliance, but you CAN change attributes and re-assign skill points. If you are playing a magicka character and want to change to stamina later on, you can do that in game without re-rolling.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit Passives:
    Medium Armor Expertise - •Increases the experience gain with the Medium Armor Skill line by 15%
    Robust Constitution - •Increases Health Recovery by 20% Increases Stamina Recovery by 10%
    Stealthy - •Reduces your detection radius in Stealth by 3m •Increases damage done while in Stealth by 9%
    Carnage - •Increases Weapon Critical by 8%

Yes. Khajitt is inherently a stamina class. Medium armor bonuses favor max stamina, stamina recovery, weapon damage and weapon critical. Dragonkinght and Templar both make great Stamina dps and stamina Tanks. However, there really is no such thing as a stamina based healer.

Stamina Dragonkinght, now and in next patch, is Top Dps and definitely viable. Dragonkights are arguably the best tanks also. When your skills are first unlocked they will be magic based, but when you level them and eventually morph them, stamina options become available.

Stamina only improves survivability with blocking, dodge rolling, and break free. Vigor and Rally are stamina based heals. This would help significantly in PvP, where you need a lot of stam to perform these feats. Medium armor will provide a little more physical resistance than light, but not much more. Don't think about magic/stam as being a base for surviving. Your Health, resistance and any heals you may have access to will be what determines your survivability. Also, if you have high damage, your time to kill (ttk) will be lower meaning you wont have to fight as long.

Again, I know you mentioned you didn't prefer daggers, and most stamina builds(PvE) BiS gear at the moment includes daggers. So just be aware, going stamina puts you into either daggers or swords on your main bar, and bow on your off-bar (usually for BiS).

You can be a khajiit magic anything too, your racial passives wouldn't benefit you really and would be a decision based purely off looks. But if that is what you prefer, to use staffs for example, then go for it. Eventually, ZOS is offering race change. So any decision now can ultimately be changed to BiS later if that is what you want to do.
    Edited by Cuyler on May 18, 2016 6:26PM
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what alliance are u on @BlitzGirl41 ?
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    W0lf_z13 wrote: »
    what alliance are u on @BlitzGirl41 ?

I tend to be Aldmeri Dominion due to loving Khajit and Khenarthi's Roost.
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »

Medium Armor Expertise - •Increases the experience gain with the Medium Armor Skill line by 15%
    Robust Constitution - •Increases Health Recovery by 20% Increases Stamina Recovery by 10%
    Stealthy - •Reduces your detection radius in Stealth by 3m •Increases damage done while in Stealth by 9%
    Carnage - •Increases Weapon Critical by 8%

Yes. Khajitt is inherently a stamina class. Medium armor bonuses favor max stamina, stamina recovery, weapon damage and weapon critical. Dragonkinght and Templar both make great Stamina dps and stamina Tanks. However, there really is no such thing as a stamina based healer.

Stamina Dragonkinght, now and in next patch, is Top Dps and definitely viable. Dragonkights are arguably the best tanks also. When your skills are first unlocked they will be magic based, but when you level them and eventually morph them, stamina options become available.

Stamina only improves survivability with blocking, dodge rolling, and break free. Vigor and Rally are stamina based heals. This would help significantly in PvP, where you need a lot of stam to perform these feats. Medium armor will provide a little more physical resistance than light, but not much more.

Again, I know you mentioned you didn't prefer daggers, and most stamina builds(PvE) BiS gear at the moment includes daggers. So just be aware, going stamina puts you into either daggers or swords on your main bar, and bow on your off-bar.
    Part I bolded in there is great to know. I guess I just never got far enough on my last attempt at a DK to realize that.

So I guess the next toon I will make will be a Stam DK Khajit to start. :)
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    best place to start ... imo ... not sure if anyone has mentioned this ( at work so can basically only skim over everything ) is armor.... for stamina builds id go 5 medium 1 heavy and 1 light .... that will increase the ratings in all of them while u level ... also the heavy piece will give u a little more survive-ability ... and either bow or 2h to start off
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    best place to start ... imo ... not sure if anyone has mentioned this ( at work so can basically only skim over everything ) is armor.... for stamina builds id go 5 medium 1 heavy and 1 light .... that will increase the ratings in all of them while u level ... also the heavy piece will give u a little more survive-ability ... and either bow or 2h to start off

Any suggestions as to what pieces the heavy and light would be? (Head, chest, belt, etc.)
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually go heavy for one of the bigger pieces (chest/head mainly) ... could go light for the waist or gloves though

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any suggestions as to what pieces the heavy and light would be? (Head, chest, belt, etc.)

Heavy chest, this will provide the most armor and physical resistance. It is considered one of the "large" pieces.

Light on belt, gloves or boots. This will minimize the lower resistance on this armor type because these slots are considered "small" pieces.

Then go Medium everywhere else.

5 medium/1 heavy/ 1 light to level them all. Once you've finished leveling them however, going all 7 pieces medium with divines trait will be highest damage.
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exactly what @Cuyler said

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Although a little squishy at the start until you get a stam based heal, you won't be disappointed when you've mastered it :)
  • BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭

Although a little squishy at the start until you get a stam based heal, you won't be disappointed when you've mastered it :)

Also don't mind duel-wielding, say, 1h swords, or having a 2h weapon. Just not very good at a bow even though that's what nearly everyone is suggesting/using on this site (I have been browsing other threads in the forums).
  • TheSpin
    TheSpin
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that you don't want to play a sneaky-stabber rogue type, but you also want to wear medium, like Khajit, and be stamina dps.

I would suggest you consider nightblade as well as dragonknight. Nightblades can spec for tanks and dps, a big difference is that dragonknight doesn't have much direct damage class skills and instead rely on DoTs while stamina nightblade would have few DoTs and more burst damage.

Aside from that, I feel you in terms of struggling at low levels. It sounds like there are plenty of people offering advice here, so my only addition would be to say stick with it and get a character up high enough to get weapon swapping and remember you can respec your skills. at low levels, I had to respec any time I wanted to change the skills on my bar because I needed every single point, so I found a nice set of skills that I liked, and I used those skills to help me level enough to where I didn't feel the squeeze too hard on skill points.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also don't mind duel-wielding, say, 1h swords, or having a 2h weapon. Just not very good at a bow even though that's what nearly everyone is suggesting/using on this site (I have been browsing other threads in the forums).

Bow is used only on the 2nd bar. And only for two skills, Scorched Earth (morph of Volley) and poison injection (morph of poison arrow). So you wouldn't be using the bow as your direct damage source. You basically apply those two skills, apply your class skill DK DOTs and switch bar back to your dual wield.

The primary bar would be dual daggers, or 1 dagger and 1 axe, and this is the bar/weapon you'll have active most of the time on when dps. It's not a "bow" build by any means, but comes in handy when having to kill a ranged npc.
    Edited by Cuyler on May 18, 2016 6:55PM
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and for attributes i typically ( at least until end game ) split attributes into health and stamina, until health gets to 10, then i put the rest into stamina .... once health gets to a decent level through player leveling i start pulling out points from health and putting them back into stamina

• BlitzGirl41
    BlitzGirl41
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys! It's been quite a while since I last played ESO, so it will be like starting over when I get back into it anyway; so all of these suggestions and tips will be handy to keep in the forefront as well as the back of my mind. I also know that personal preference plays a lot into character creation and building - we should make what we want, but also not neglect class/race-specific tips that could mean the difference between life and death in-game.