The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Tips you wish you'd known from the start

Zooce
Zooce
✭✭✭
Exploration and travel
  1. You can travel between wayshrines for free, you only pay to travel to one if you're not at another
  2. You can feed horses (like levelling) to increase speed, bag space or sprint each day
  3. There are hints for finding Skyshards built into the UI (Press J (opens quest journal) > Click "Achievements" Tab > Click "Skyshards" Tab > Select the zone you want to find Skyshards in > Read the hints they give you.)
  4. If you buy the Imperial edition your horse will be available to all your characters
  5. The parts of the map with skull and cross-bones are world bosses!
  6. Speaking to random npc's can reveal locations on your map.
  7. Don't rush out of the tutorial area (the prison). Loot everything you can. You will end up with some armor, weapon, dozens of lockpicks, possibly a racial motif book and all sorts of other loot.
  8. The Achievements tab in the Journal lists the titles of the zone-specific Lorebooks so you can refer to it to determine if you have found all of the lorebooks found only in that zone.
  9. Monsters in Cyrodiil can drop set items which are scaled to your current level. They drop more often from "named" mobs inside of caves, also these "named" mobs drop soul gems of your current level frequently.
  10. All caves in Cyrodill have a skyshard inside of them. (At least the ones i've been in all had one) - and many public dungeons in the rest of the world also have skyshards
  11. Explore. Most things are off the routes to quests.
  12. There's a guild that you can join called "The Undaunted" much like the mages or fighters guild. It's usually in an Inn in your starting city. Talk to them in each zone.
  13. Swimming can be deadly. You may get slaughtered if you swim in a spot you're not supposed too.
  14. You have to discover your faction's dungeon before the dungeons of the other factions will appear on the map (ie. you have to discover Spindleclutch by traveling to it before you will see Banished Cells or Fungal Grotto).
  15. There are places on the map and things to do that no quest is going to lead you to, so get out there and explore.
  16. Can confirm coldharbor has at least 1 racial motif, most i have gotten in a single run was 3. the tutorial not the questline.
  17. PvE in cyrodil, you are scaled to 50 so can fight the local mobs.
  18. Swimming in deep water brings the wrath of the slaughterfish.
  19. Trying to recall to a wayshrine immediately after recalling a previous time will cost several hundred gold. The amount of gold required to recall again will reduce by 1g a second.
  20. To rez another player, the soul gem needs to match the level of the person DOING the rez, NOT the person being rezed. So, if you are level 20, you cannot rez anyone until you fill a level 20 soul gem. The level 10-19 gems will not rez a level 3 player if you are level 20 either (moderator has stated it needs to match the level of the person you're rezzing - so this needs to be checked)
  21. If you want to pve in Cyrodiil and REALLY dislike pvp, find a empty campaign and sign in as a guest.
  22. You can see landmark quest status by the color of the icon on the map. If it's white, it means you completed the quest for that area, if it's black, you haven't. It's quite easy to overlook if you don't know about it.
  23. Go off the beaten path. Don't just go from quest to quest. Walk around a little bit, go explore. There are a ton of locations that offer books, containers, chests, world bosses, and more.
  24. Don't ask in zone chat about where you can find a horse...go to the nearest town and check your map for the stables!
  25. Often times when you wander from the beaten track, you might find an npc in an alcove or hidden location from plain sight. There would be no marking on the compass or merchant tag in the name/map, and only by talking to him you would understand he is a merchant. Make sure you look through his wares thoroughly, there might be some uniquely named items which start quests. I was lucky enough to find two in beta, and each rewarded a nice blue gear at the end of the quest chain.
  26. Example: One time there was this mine entrance which was on the way to getting another quest hub. right to the left of the mine entrance i saw one of those rocky paths going up. i always check these for chests and this time right above the mine door, hidden from view from the front of the mine unless you go up that rock ramp, was a Dunmer sitting by a campfire. talking to him made me see that he has a merchant inventory. and in that inventory was a particular item called something like a "fetish figurine". i won't spoil the rest of the quest.......

Loot
      1. Looting Barrels, Crates, Back Packs give Provisioning mats such as grain, malt, water, and recipes.
      2. Looting Wardrobes, Nightstands, Drawers, Dressers give you lock picks, crafting racial stones, and racial motif books (used to craft in different racial style).
      3. Boss mobs in dungeons can be killed multiple times. Note there will be a patch to put a timer between available loots from these boss mobs.
      4. Resource nodes that spawn Runes will randomize between the three types when they spawn.
      5. Boss Mobs in dungeons will drop potions and a filled soul gem appropriate to your level. You can farm the boss for a bit to build up a supply.
      6. In dungeons, there are chests that have loot that goes to only the person who opens the chest first (or interacts with it and opens it first, rather). Try to spot them in corners of dungeons to snag em.
      7. You can leave items in a chest for others to take if two of you are nearing the chest and you opened it first. They can also take your chest items the split second you open it so be fast if you want it all.

Questing & levelling your skills
      1. You can level multiple different armors at the same time by mixing up what you wear, however each one will level slower than if you have a full set of light/med/heavy
      2. The NPC-owned towns in Cyrodiil have repeatable PVE quests
      3. You get a big chunk of XP from completing quests, so to level up a 2nd weapon skill, switch to it before turning in a quest
      4. You can reset your skills for gold, there are locations to do this for each faction
      5. You can level a skill line by having an active ability slotted on the hotbar, even if you never use that ability
      6. At the very start of the game when you have empty hotbar slots, add the Soul Trap spell to your bar. It's a reasonable dot and even if you never use it, you start to level up the Soul Magic skill line (switch it out later)
      7. Recommend Soul Trap from the Soul Magic skill tree as your first skill point. Get as many Soul Gems as you can afford as early as possible. They are invaluable for self-resurrection from the same spot you died, resurrecting others or charging certain weapon enchants. It is cheapest and quickest to fill empty Soul Gems by nuking 1HP criters, like rats, sheep, etc. Empty or full Soul Gems can be obtained randomly from loot drops or by buying them from the Mages Guild or some ‘mage’ vendors
      8. You get upgrades to stamina, magicka and health at every level even if you never put points into them. So for efficiency it's a good idea to put some class skills that use magicka and weapon skills that use stamina so you can make use of both pools. At least early in the game anyway. Note in Cyrodial everyone has the same until you are VR1.
      9. You only get one point to spend in one magic/health/stamina tho. The increase in pools of each are just because you are a higher level character and skills cost more of each. Its not related to how much you use each one.
      10. Mundus stones offer buffs to your character which can be changed by visiting other stones. There is a complete set of Mundus stones for each Alliance so get exploring to find out what they do.
      11. Also, you can boost the Mundus stone's effect on your character if you wear equipment with the relevant trait on it.
      12. When using a Bookshelf, there is a chance of reading a book that will raise one of your skills with 1 level.
      13. Book cases offer XP based on the book inside.
      14. PvE quests are usually around the "miscellaneous" icons (tree icon and so forth) on the map. Completing the quests near the icon will turn it white.
      15. Press T to cycle through your quests in the quest tracker.
      16. If a quest fails to spawn a mob for completion, relog to fix the issue.
      17. The more skills from the same tree you have on your active hotbar, the faster that skill tree gains XP.
      18. Skills can be morphed once you level them up enough, to upgrade it you have to use one skillpoint.
      19. The biggest thing players should keep in mind when starting out is that experience is tied to what's on your skillbar, so you want to try to have a skill on your skillbar from every class tree and your weapon tree while you level, and only focus on min maxxing much later in the game.
      20. Your first three skill points should go into each of your classes' tree so they will all level up. If you don't do this one of your trees will stay at 0 until you start to invest a point there otherwise they will all level up a bit even though you never have an ability from one tree slotted.
      21. You have to put the soul trap spell on your bar. Cast soul trap right before you kill an enemy and if you have an appropriate level soul gem it gets filled. However, After a while I was just finding both empty and full soul gems throughout the world.
      22. Not all quest givers stay put. Many quests will have the quest giver move closer if not right to you when you complete the quest. Caused much back tracking when I wouldn't catch it.
      23. When you run out of magicka and stamina before your opponent is even down to half health in PvP, you begin to see the wisdom in assigning every single attribute to health.

Crafting
      1. Pick up materials and actually craft, its not super lame like every other mmo
      2. Crafting armor and weapons is the best way in the early game to get the best stuff. Items come in five quality levels represented by five colors: white, green, blue, purple and gold. The colors signify the quality of the item in ascending order, but only for that particular level. For example, a gold level 10 item might be better than a green level 12 item.
      3. Killing many of the level 1 mobs such as rats & spiders give fishing bait. Collecting insects like butterflies also. Fishing requires using a proper bait at the proper location. Your chances of getting a rare fish improves when more people fish at the same spot, but that can also make a fishing hole dry out faster.
      4. You can create any of the tier1 crafted items without investing a single skill point
      5. In order to create tier 2 of ANY of the six disciplines, you have to spend a skill point IN THAT DISCIPLINE to create tier 2 stuff. (IE to create tier 2 across all six disciples will require investing 6 skill points, one in each line.)
      6. Eating an alchemy ingredient will reveal one of it's properties: Question asked: There are 4 four effects for each herb in alchemy, so can you learn more than first affect buy continuing to eat an ingredient or is it capped at the first ability? Answer: Capped at the first.
      7. You can craft at a crafting station with materials stored in your bank.
      8. You gain more crafting Exp from breaking down gear others have created than the ones you create.
      9. You can mail excess items to an alt character. They don't count toward your bag space until the mail is opened. Unless something has changed in the last build, this one is incorrect - you cannot mail anything to your alts, only to players on another account.
      10. You can buy glyphs to enchant your armor, weapons and jewelry cheaply. Armor glyphs are for max stamina, magicka, and health, and there are 8 with a shield.
      11. Recipes are more reliably found in desks, cupboards, wardrobes, and other non-provisioning containers.
      12. "Heavy Bags" contain random crafting materials, up to and including legendary tempers. These spawn like chests, and when looted they disappear.
      13. Remember that there are "Set" Armor crafting stations. Try to research the traits needed for these if you want a set. It can take anywhere from 6 hours to one month to research things. For example, you'll need all 8 traits researched to get the Mages and Fighters guild armor later- and that means yes, 8 traits for all items. And don't forget you'll need 3 for the first bonus and 5 items for the second
      14. All stations have the same research options, but Set stations will allow you to craft Set bonus items if you have the required traits for each set researched on the armor pieces you want to make.
      15. Plan on crafting gear every 2 levels in the early leveling stages. That way you'll always have best gear available for the most part, and never run around gear-less. Weap upgrades every 2 levels is huge too for damage output.
      16. You can only have 1 provisioning effect on at a time.
      17. Breakdown and extract all loot you don't plan to use, if you are in that particular profession. You'll get tempers, trait gems, racial materials, and the processed resources can also be sold.
      18. In some/most cases you CAN recharge your weapon using a level appropriate soul gem. HOWEVER, soul gems are expensive. If you have some weapon runes, they will just replace the depleted charge with a new effect and not cost you a soul gem, or you can use the soul gems from the previous tier to fill your weapons.
      19. Bank all gear with researchable traits and the trait stones. Constant uptime on your research is the optimal way to go.
      20. Start your 12 hour research right before logging at night if you can time it right.
      21. Begin crafting early. You can make much better gear than the overpriced junk offered by shops
      22. You enchant by right clicking an item in your inventory (or when worn)... I can't be the only one who was scratching their heads at the enchanting table...
      23. Enchants are applied to items directly.
      24. 10 minutes running along the coast instagibbing mudcrabs gave me more rawhide than I knew what to do with.
      25. Btw the best way to level armor & weapon crafting is to wait to 50 and extract level 50/veteran gear (doesn't mean don't do it before - just good to know)
      26. You have several options for selling crafted items: 1. Through mail, you send the item you want to sell with a COD ( cash on delivery) attached. Easy, fast and the worst possible way for trade. Since each mail you send takes about 10% of the total value (10% of the item value and 10% from the cod) 2. Guildstore, not sure if guilds can make it so that they recieve a percentage of the profit..i personally never tried this. 3. Trading in person. The most easiest way of selling stuff without any loss of profit. Make sure they give you the right amount of gold though. I prefer this since i will not lose any profit.
      27. For researching traits to put on a bow, you need to research a bow with the trait you want (not e.g. a staff)
      28. Each trait you research of one item ( a bow for example) takes longer then the last. It starts a 6 hours ( i think), next one is 12 hours etc.
      29. You can research one trait at a time for each crafting skill, which means that you can research multiple things at once as long as they aren't from the same crafting line.
      30. To make ingots of a certain type of metal you extract the ore material, there is no smelting in ESO - needs 10 ore to make some ingots.
      31. The edges of rivers and lakes spawn water solvent nodes needed for alchemy. Water solvent can also be found in waterskins near camps.
      32. I actually prefer to use all $ to by all inventory and bank space- then after all upgrades, I start saving. I also mail stuff to friends w/return in subject so I don't have to keep running back to town to sell. Plus I have 2 bank alts- one for enchanting and one for provisioning. I keep mail organized for respective alt to open and it works nicely
      33. If you are not adverse to external websites, get crafting guides. It doesn’t do you much good hanging on to a tier one crafting item if you are doing level 30 type stuff. Currently there are no tooltips that guide you adequately. For instance; I used thin broth a lot starting out. 3 weeks later while struggling to find bank space (yet again) I discovered a stack of 96 of them that I did not even realize I had stopped using a few weeks before.
      34. Crafters: spending skill points on the right things at the right times is more challenging to you than a non-crafter. The two specs in most craft lines that should be considered for investing in very soon after rolling is your companion (they often send better items than what you can acquire easily in the world) and the “Keen Eye” skill (It really does help a lot)

General Gameplay & gear / skill use (PVE or PVP)
      1. The easy way to interrupt is to click and hold the left mouse button, then click the right mouse button. If you interrupt the target, using heavy attack while the target is disoriented will knock the target down. Pay attention to the effect your abilities have on different types of monsters. Some powerful creatures are immune to certain effects, while whole groups of monsters might be resistant to others.
      2. There are only 3 jewelry slots, and those cover regen, resistance, and other modifier buffs. Plan accordingly!
      3. Any merchant can repair your gear (but it may be better to replace - see crafting)
      4. You have to buy your IE horse at a stable for 1g (at any stable) Your vanity pet is in a mail you will receive.
      5. Weapons with a glyph enchantment to do additional elemental (fire, frost, disease, etc.) damage use soulstones to recharge. Item traits enhance the damage of enchantments or the time between recharging.
      6. Increasing your critical hit chance will also increase your critical healing chance, i.e. healing for far more than normal. You can’t heal crit on HoTs via the restoration staff (or other Heals Over Time). True healing spells (ie ones that heal flat damage) can crit via the Templar Restoring Light line (though perhaps even the DK’s self heal “Dragon Blood” might crit as well.)
      7. By pressing L and R mouse buttons at the same time you can snap out of disorient and off-balance effects for 30% stamina cost.
      8. Spiders feed off corpses to heal themselves, interrupt them by clicking both mouse buttons at the same time (left first)
      9. Intimidation and persuasion are passive skills from the fighter and mage guilds skill line
      10. Keep a weapon in your inventory for a ranged attack if you are melee. Either a staff or a bow. If you're having trouble defeating a mob (like Gutsripper) you can kite it (or just learn a different technique with your class)
      11. If you choose a DPS melee class, you're going to need multiple anti-kiting tools such as snare, teleport, fiery chain, stealth. Bow users have a lot of options to snare, knockdown, kite and put out extreme damage - a lot will be naive enough to spec for maximum damage, because there are even more naive players who will feed their XPs by not being kite-ready.
      12. You need 10 accounts in a guild to unlock the guild bank with 500 spaces
      13. To quickly and easily fill petty soul gems kill critters. Soul tap does all the work.
      14. The sneak mechanic - If you use sneak before entering combat with a bow and charge up a full attack, you will 100% crit with it unless you are seen. This also applies to weapon skills. You can charge a bow attack and immediately cast a weapon skill to crit on both attacks. It helps a lot when soloing content.
      15. The more points you have in stamina, the more damage your stamina skills will do. The more points you have in magicka, the more damage your class and magick skills will do.
      16. You can move while using a skill with cast time on it - you don't have to stand still for it. It slows you down a bit while moving but don't worry about stopping and being rooted. This was in the Nightblade line. Maybe not all classes react this way but for sure I overlooked being able to move when using them because in other games you usually had to be stable. There are a few games that let you cast while moving but it's far from all games.You can't sprint and use abilities at the same time.
      17. You can drop items into the bank and it will auto stack them. You can split the stacks when you remove them from the bank.
      18. When you unlock weapon-swapping at level 15, you can decide to place the same type of weapon in both slots but select different abilities for your ability bar.
      19. Bind a key for dodge, double tapping is crap.

PVP
      1. You should complete the 'welcome to cyrodiil' quest first before the boards become active (update - you can skip training by speaking to npc to gain access to quests.) - but the quests do give you a forward camp.
      2. You can get PVP quests in Cyrodiil by visiting the notice boards e.g kill enemy players, scout area, attack keep etc.
      3. Soul-stones can be used to revive ally players and yourself (note you can't revive yourself in the Alliance War).
      4. Third person view is usually the most effective in AvA (PVP)
      5. If you plan to AvA, then PvE like you would AvA.
      6. AvA melee targeting is difficult, because your opponent is going to be running around like a rabbit. Most in the Beta used ranged weapons due to this difficulty. Therefore you must master CC if you wish to melee in AvA. (or just hit TAB to garget)
      7. Know when to run in AvA. If you get in sprint range, expect to respawn. Try not to stream singly into a fast moving zerg.
      8. When entering a contested keep, sneak when going through a postern and door. You don't know what's on the other side.
      9. Oil can be poured on the floor the pot is sitting on, causing an aoe hit to anyone in the damage radius.
      10. Use ballistas on the walls to defend, trebs on the ground to attack.
      11. Keep a seige shield up on the ram when it's on the door. It'll batter through before oil kills it and the drivers.
      12. Set items drop in Cyrodiil that are scaled to your level that are different from the crafted sets.
      13. Expect stealthed opponents when you follow the standard reinforcement line to a fight. Going out of your way a little bit might get you there in one piece.
      14. Alternately, run magelight and bring a friend, and hunt the hunters.
      15. When casting magelight, it stays visible even when you are sneaking.
      16. Pets do not stealth with you
      17. The wayshrines to get out of Cyrodiil are at the gates.
      18. Some AvA quests ala capturing a scroll do not have to be completed by you personally just your faction. So if you see a scroll moving head to the board and cycle through them all till you get the one for that scroll.
      19. You can pick up a deployed siege engine after you deploy it by pressing 'x'.
      20. Always carry around a stone treb to break down walls and doors quickly. Always carry a fire ballista for "other targets".
      21. As you get points you will receive mails from your alliance with level appropriate greens on them. Easy way to quickly gear up if you complete AvA quests.
      22. All classes can stealth by crouching.
      23. Siege weapons must be put in quickslot to be used
      24. Use the WAYSHRINES to leave Cyridiil, not the Transit shrines.
      25. Equip your siege weapons in your quick slots to use them, same as your repair kits.
      26. Trebuchets are best for damage to walls
      27. Ballistae for damage to siege weapons
      28. Catapults for damage to enemy players
      29. Healing damage caused by enemy players in AvA will award Alliance points and XP.
      30. Have a separate moveset (skills) for PVP. The best strategies against NPCs (unload all of your highest damaging skills in a row) don't work on players who do more than rush in for melee hits. Moves that immobilize, negate skills, or prevent damage are so much more useful.
      31. Dont be afraid to spend Alliance Points in PVP, your total accumulated number will not decrease. So you dont have to worry about dropping in the leader boards if you want to buy equipment.
      32. Don't pick a home campaign early on the first night. Wait and make sure you're not in a 10:1 odds fight before committing.
      33. You get gear when you pvp, it is basically the same as pve gear, you can also buy gear in the pvp area, that is basically the same as pve gear, there are a few set bonuses that give bonuses to pvp (have to have the set of 3 ot 5 pieces), i've seen one that gave 5% extra damage against players, not sure what else is out there, its not a trait that you can research and put on every piece of gear.

UI
      1. You can go into interface settings and turn of glow, action bar, and quest tracker and health bars to make it more like a TES game. This really makes it feel more like skyrim.
      2. You can type /fps in the chat to see your frames per second.
      3. You can also turn on autoloot and AE loot in the options.
      4. Under settings there is an option to hide your helmet
      5. Check your keybinds; Some keybinds are unbound by default, such as Toggle UI.
      6. When you find a lore book, it doesn't go to your inventory. You can find it on the "Lore Library" tab of your journal (it is the second tab, next to "Quests").w/o spoiling let's just say if you want to read everything later you will be able to w/a certain quest line though a UI screen
      7. Press and hold Q to open quickslots for potions
      8. You can set a keybinding to toggle the entire UI on or off quickly, including the compass and chat window. When combined with turn off the glowing outlines it made for a bit more immersive playing experience.
      9. Try right clicking in the game in places, often there are menus.
      10. IIRC - you use P for party to leave a group, right click on your name.
      11. You can adjust the millisecond timing of your dodge when you double-top WASD keys in settings to suit how fast you press keys.
      12. You can see buffs on you at the bottom of the character screen C key by default. I did not notice this and would often check it when someone ran past me and gave me a buff to see what it said. I used that to see which heals worked on myself and not just a group so that I could plan my bar better. There is a heal that says it heals players in front of you but it heals you too when alone, you don't have to try to get ahead of yourself (if that's even possible).
      13. If you plan on joining multiple guilds, you can color the chat of each different by using right click on the chat tabs. There are lots of other settings there including creating tabs. By default all 3 guilds I joined were the same color text.
      14. If you want to walk you can, but it is not mapped. You have to go to the options and pick a key for it.
      15. Use 'V' or mouse wheel, to go between 1st and 3rd person.
      16. You can select dialog options with the number keys (1 = first option, 2 = second etc).

Some commands that people might find useful

/bug = report bugs
      /feedback = report feedback
      /p = party chat
      /z = zone chat
      /s = say
      /t or /w = tell or whisper chat (same thing, just different commands)
      /g1 - /g5 = guild chat, since one can be in 5 guild at a time thus g1 = guild, g2 = guild 2 .. g5 =guild 5
      /emote_command = the different emotes one can do, one have to use web site to find the commands, just the way one inputs the command.
      /played = total time played
      /reloadui = reset the UI if one gets trap in the interface after crafting or talking to a NPC
      /stuck (/unstuck?) = it kills your char and sends you to the nearest wayshrine -- used for the reason as /reloadui
      You can hit the "." (period) key to show the cursor. Handy for chat.
      Q (hold) – Open quickslot radial menu
      Q (press) – Use selected slotted quickslot item
      Left Mouse Button – Attack with equipped weapon. Tap to execute a light attack, hold down for a heavy attack
      Right Mouse Button – Block
      Right Mouse Button + Left Mouse Button – Perform a bash, interrupting some enemy attacks
      Hold Right Mouse Button + Click Left Mouse Button – Break crowd control effects
      /jumptofriend - The slash command to jump to the wayshrine/graveyard closest to a named friend.
      /jumptogroupmember - The slash command to jump to the wayshrine/graveyard closest to a named group member.
      /jumptoguildmember - The slash command to jump to the wayshrine/graveyard closest to a named guild member.
      /jumptoleader - The slash command to jump to the wayshrine/graveyard closest to the group leader.
      /yell or /y - The slash command to set the current chat channel to Yell. The following text will be sent to all players in your local vicinity, wider ranging than /say but not zone wide. Followed by a space, and then the text to send.
      /chatlog - The slash command to toggle chat logging on or off.
      /invite - The slash command to invite another player to your group. Followed by a space, and then the group-invite-target's name. (Account name can be used with an @ symbol before the full name.)
      /fps - The slash command to toggle the display of current framerate.

One more way to exit the interface if one gets stuck in a NPC dialog or crafting -- just click on the mail icon and will let one exit

/help = help screen (another way for feedback, bug reports or a wiki)
    Edited by Zooce on April 18, 2014 8:52PM
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      ✭✭✭✭
      While this is a great lil guide, there is a lot of misinformation that I'll try to help ya clear up :)

Exploration and travel:
      5. skull and crossbones indicate world bosses, NOT veteran areas
      10. all caves have skyshards, not just ones in Cyrodiil
      14. the Undaunted tell you of dungeons at each zone when you talk to each and every member at the capital city's inn
      17. you scale to 50, monsters don't scale to you
      22. these are landmark quests for the area

Loot
      3. & 5. please don't encourage players to farm the bosses, the problem is bad enough already

Questing & levelling your skills
      7. this sounds like an exploit for you should only be able to get soul gems off of things that give you xp
      21. wouldn't recommend always having soul trap, only once in a while when you are out of gems
      23. everyone is the same in Cyrodiil until they hit VR. I mean exactly the same attributes that is, even if you went all health you'll have the same at lvl 49 as a lvl 10

Crafting
      13 & 14. it can take anywhere from 6 hours to one month to research things. For example, you'll need all 8 traits researched to get the Mages and Fighters guild armor later- and that means yes, 8 traits for all items. And don't forget you'll need 3 for the first bonus and 5 items for the second. Link to all sets :)
      17. this is not always true- look at how much gold you'll get for say a green heavy armor item. now are you a blacksmith? then by all means break it down. but are you an alchemist w/no use for this and no skill bonus to get a higher % of extracting those tempers? then you'll prolly make more $ by selling, not breaking down
      18. just keep your previous tier, say lvl 20 soul gems when you are 30, and use those to fill up your weapons
      23. within reason! don't deconstruct everything. what if you need a trait? what if your friend does? what if its part of a set? sets will sell for good $
      24. you can also enchant equipped armor and weapons by right clicking
      28. while the guild store fees do suck, if you are in a big guild w/100s of players you can sell stuff on the store much faster, and be more profitable than spamming zone chat
      34. I actually prefer to use all $ to by all inventory and bank space- then after all upgrades, I start saving. I also mail stuff to friends w/return in subject so I don't have to keep running back to town to sell. Plus I have 2 bank alts- one for enchanting and one for provisioning. I keep mail organized for respective alt to open and it works nicely
      35. agree this is maddening- here's link to all crafting quick guides.

General Gameplay & gear / skill use (PVE or PVP)
      1. left button then right button to interrupt
      5. the cost is 1g, not 100g
      10. I recommend learning your class, not using ranged weapons that you don't intend to lvl
      12. guilds now only get 500 bank spaces, they changed that a couple patches ago

PVP
      1. you don't need to, BUT you should! You'll get a limited forward camp- since forward camps are ~7000 AP you should totally complete it. I mean it takes 5 minutes max lol
      6. just hit tab, easy to target imo

UI
      6. w/o spoiling let's just say if you want to read everything later you will be able to w/a certain quest line though a UI screen :)
      10. "P" is the default key for party. you'll need to right click your name and select leave party if you want to leave
      Edited by Daenerys on April 11, 2014 7:47PM
    • morgueanna
      morgueanna
      ✭✭
      I have the max of 8 characters. I loot EVERYTHING. I take at least two hours to do the Wailing Prison just to make sure I get everything- I've never received a racial motif book.
    • SirAndy
      SirAndy
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Those are pretty outdated, some of the info hasn't been accurate for several months.

My guess is you just copy & pasted this from an older thread or from some website?
      confused24.gif
    • Svann
      Svann
      ✭✭✭
      I dont think you put a point in soul magic, they give that one for free. And you dont skillup the line by having it on your skill bar. You can skill up the skill to IV, but the line is only skilled up by doing the main questline chapters. It tells you that if you mouseover the skill line xp bar.
    • Kemono
      Kemono
      ✭✭✭
      SirAndy wrote: »
      Those are pretty outdated, some of the info hasn't been accurate for several months.

My guess is you just copy & pasted this from an older thread or from some website?
      confused24.gif

This, for 95% are tips we gather (as a community) on a Bethesda ESO forum -copy is nice cos that forum was wiped.
      Also Zooce was a person who started it anyway (with a solid chunk of this tips) B)
      Exploration
      The Achievements tab in the Journal lists the titles of the zone-specific Lorebooks so you can refer to it to determine if you have found all of the lorebooks found only in that zone.

I cant check right now -but i dont think i ever saw something like that.
      Is zone based list of books avaible? Or maybe at least on some wiki?
    • Soul_of_Wrath
      Soul_of_Wrath
      ✭✭
      @Zooce This is one excellent post! You are what MMO's need more of.
    • Firmament
      Firmament
      ✭✭
      @Zooce the best post from the forum IMO. Wonderful. Sadly I cannot agree, find awesome and insightful at the same time :)
      <3
    • Twicebit
      Twicebit
      Vote for Sticky.
    • lowerlife
      lowerlife
      Kinda annoying how many points were repeated, and the outdated info. Fix those things and this will be extremely helpful.
    • Svann
      Svann
      ✭✭✭
      If you find double tap unreliable for rolling you can bind it to a key. I bound it to mouse button 4 and it works great now.
    • Zooce
      Zooce
      ✭✭✭
      Yes when I have some time I will update, just that since our old board was wiped we didn't have a thread like this.
      Daenerys - thanks for all the comments, will work through them.
    • METALPUNKS
      METALPUNKS
      ✭✭✭
      There is quite a bit of this that is wrong. Like the 1,000 spaces for guild bank. Its 500

Also the skull and cross bones on the map are not veteran content. Its world bosses

Still an awesome post and i love seeing this.
      Edited by METALPUNKS on April 15, 2014 5:32AM
    • Zooce
      Zooce
      ✭✭✭
      Okay updated most of the feedback now. Keep it coming and I'll try and keep it correct.
    • Gexy
      Gexy
      ✭✭✭
      Zooce wrote: »
      Often times when you wander from the beaten track, you might find an npc in an alcove or hidden location from plain sight. There would be no marking on the compass or merchant tag in the name/map, and only by talking to him you would understand he is a merchant. Make sure you look through his wares thoroughly, there might be some uniquely named items which start quests. I was lucky enough to find two in beta, and each rewarded a nice blue gear at the end of the quest chain.

i'm curious about this, i found in grathwood a item dropped by a bandit called a "bandit note" that started a quest... same thing happened in Bleakrock Isle at veteran rank, another bandit dropped a item called "bandit note" that started a quest :smiley:

can you tell me where you find these things ^^ i'm curious
      also, which one of these 2 items are you talking about in the other point:
      http://esohead.com/items#name:fetish;type:5
    • tortara
      tortara
      Soul Shriven
      Thank you so much for this manual. I have been playing for two days and found a wealth of useful information here.
    • bluddenguttzb16_ESO
      bluddenguttzb16_ESO
      Soul Shriven
      13/18 - There is an Achievement (iirc 5 points) for being 'Slaughtered' :D
      Edited by bluddenguttzb16_ESO on May 20, 2014 12:04PM
    • Talmet
      Talmet
      ✭✭✭
      #23 in questing/lvling skills is outdated.

The reason why we used to always put points into health, is because during beta a point in health was +20 (compared to the +10 stam/magicka), while gear enchants were all equal across the board.

That was changed pre-launch, so that now for both enchants & the points health is 1.5x magicka or stamina. So, you can reach the exact same values if you put all points in magicka & then enchant for health as you can if you put all points in health & enchant for magicka.

Also, as @Daenerys said above, for cyrodiil pre-vet...your gear and stats don't matter at all. If you are going to lvl in cyrodiil, you can run around naked & never spend your attribute points. The only thing that matters is what type of weapon you have equipped (2h vs bow for example, but a lvl 1 white weapon will do the same damage as a lvl 40 legendary one).

As for post vet, by that time it depends on your build/skills/gear where stat points go. The point is that not everyone puts all points into health....
    • ekhvkhveb17_ESO
      ekhvkhveb17_ESO
      Soul Shriven
      Can I skip dungeons to complete them at max VR? Will I get a skillpoint?
    • Elgin
      Elgin
      Soul Shriven
      Can I skip dungeons to complete them at max VR? Will I get a skillpoint?

Yes and yes.

• TitanJeff
      TitanJeff
      ✭✭
      I only have one character which is a Level 31 Wood Elf Nightblade.

If I create another character that's a different race entirely and is a tank, will I play the exact same PvE missions and maps I'm playing now?
    • UrQuan
      UrQuan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      TitanJeff wrote: »
      I only have one character which is a Level 31 Wood Elf Nightblade.

If I create another character that's a different race entirely and is a tank, will I play the exact same PvE missions and maps I'm playing now?
      If your new character is in the same alliance (like if your current character is Aldmeri Dominion, and so is your new one), then yes. If you create your new character in a different alliance you will be on different maps and doing different quests.

Once you complete the main story, though, you move on to do the maps and quests of a different alliance, so eventually every character will go through all of the same maps and quests.
      Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
      Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
      Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
      Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
      J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
      Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
      Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
      Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
      Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
      Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
      Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
      Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
      Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
      Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
      Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
      Someone stole my sweetroll
    • TitanJeff
      TitanJeff
      ✭✭
      Thanks for the reply. I wondered if it would be fun to having more than one character. But if the experience is going to be very similar, I don't quite understand the point (unless I am missing something).

If you don't mind me asking, why do some of you run multiple characters?

Edited by TitanJeff on August 26, 2015 2:13AM
    • BucFanJKE
      BucFanJKE
      ✭✭✭
      TitanJeff wrote: »
      Thanks for the reply. I wondered if it would be fun to having more than one character. But if the experience is going to be very similar, I don't quite understand the point (unless I am missing something).

If you don't mind me asking, why do some of you run multiple characters?

There are a few reasons to run multiple characters.

1. To enjoy a different play style. There are stamina nightblades, magicka nightblades, templar dps, templar healing, etc. By having multiple characters you can play different classes, or have your characters speciliaze in different ways to play.
      2. To have extra space. Each character shares a bank, but the personal inventory is there own. This allows you to store excess items on your extra characters if when your inventory gets too full.
      3. Some people like to have designated crafting characters to free up skill points.

This is just a few reasons. Their will certainly be more.
      Edited by BucFanJKE on August 31, 2015 8:11PM
    • Shadowshire
      Shadowshire
      ✭✭✭✭
      @Zooce: Exploration & Travel #4 is no longer correct, in my experience. The current patch is 2.1.4 and my Breton cannot use the horse which my Imperial rides. When I attempt to summon it, the response is that the Breton does not have a horse.
      --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
    • AudioVortex
      AudioVortex
      ✭✭
      Some of these I really wish I had known! The amount of time I've lost. But I suppose that's the fun in the game right? Experimenting, learning from mistakes and progressing from there.

Still, great thread to have handy :)
      Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
      Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
      Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
      EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
      EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
    • Rakerburn22
      Rakerburn22
      ✭✭
      @Zooce: Exploration & Travel #4 is no longer correct, in my experience. The current patch is 2.1.4 and my Breton cannot use the horse which my Imperial rides. When I attempt to summon it, the response is that the Breton does not have a horse.

Have you set an active mount in the Collections menu for your Breton?
    • Richard_Ralh
      Richard_Ralh
      ✭✭
      I'd like to make a suggestion if it hasn't already been made! Never skip the tutorial, if you skip it you will wind up having little to no starting armor and nowhere near enough gold to buy some starting armor!
      Richard_Ralh
    • KraziJoe
      KraziJoe
      ✭✭✭
      Hoarding is a sickness.
    • Sandy_bar
      Sandy_bar
      Soul Shriven
      Ive been trying to find out how I can make a second character, I went to Accounts, Edit, then made a new name, I don't know what to do next.
      I don't want to lose the current character I have nor all the xp I have made, I just want to start with a new character now I know the game more. How do I start a new character without losing my old one?
      I even tried using the name I made for second character when I logged in, but it didn't work....any hints would be helpful ty. Sandy_bar
    • El_Borracho
      El_Borracho
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Buy the cheap apartment houses. They are super-cheap. Obvious places to dump/hoard furniture. But more importantly, you can travel to them from anywhere for free. Easiest way to get to places like Auridon, Deshann, and Glenumbra, and saves time when questing and you need to get to a city center to repair, dump inventory, travel to nearest wayshrine, etc. Can even do it without "unlocking" an area, like Auridon.