Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

5000 Crowns for the upcoming assistants. Worth it ? ^^

• cdebaca
    cdebaca
    ✭✭
    WAY TO MUCH - just like all other DLC in-game -_- oh well. maybe if i get a bonus at work i'll buy the merchant.
    @King_Kuza - CP600

[Ph'iil] - Khajiit, Templar - AD
    [Baurus the Blade] - Redguard, Dragonknight - DC
    [Lifts-Her-Tåil] - Argonian, Nightblade - DC
    [Nerevårine] - Dunmer, Templar - DC

Guildmaster of [The Kuza Clan]
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    anyone knows if we can access everything as in the bank? i mean, access the guild bank and our guild stores? i'm not interesting at this price, but if it is a complete bank i may buy on a sale. any ideas?
    No, you can only access your personal bank. No guild bank, no guild store.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    cdebaca wrote: »
    WAY TO MUCH - just like all other DLC in-game -_- oh well. maybe if i get a bonus at work i'll buy the merchant.

Why would you even want the merchant? It wont repair for you. It doesnt even sell repair kits. I dont even get why people are so crazy about em. They arent all that great.
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem, with having the merchant do mobile repairs is how much easier it makes the game. We already have a number of threads suggesting the game is too easy and needs to be made harder. it will become even easier if you are able to fix your armour after every fight or two.

While I agree that 5kis too much for it as it is, and just maybe it could be worth that if it had extra functions, it would remove what little challenge there is in the game.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wonkydog wrote: »
    The problem, with having the merchant do mobile repairs is how much easier it makes the game. We already have a number of threads suggesting the game is too easy and needs to be made harder. it will become even easier if you are able to fix your armour after every fight or two.

While I agree that 5kis too much for it as it is, and just maybe it could be worth that if it had extra functions, it would remove what little challenge there is in the game.

So you think repair kits are also making the game too easy? Whats the difference between using repair kits and using a merchant you paid $50 for?
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭

So you think repair kits are also making the game too easy? Whats the difference between using repair kits and using a merchant you paid $50 for?

They are removing some of the challenges but forgetting to restock them etc adds a degree of peril to a situation. They are also limited in number. Having the ability to call a helper to fix you each time you've had a tough fight for a few gold is much more helpful. Repair kits are expensive so have to be used wisely for those with limited gold. Repairing at a merchant after a mini boss could cost less than the gold you get from that fight - true it might also pay for a kit but you would need to leave the battle do go get one.

To try and answer your question a bit more, yes, I think that equipment should only be repairable in town. It would encourage better inventory management. Make sure you have a spare in case one gets damaged too much. On the other hand, I think it would be good if you could do some running repairs to siege equipment
    Edited by Garldeen on April 1, 2016 8:50AM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They are removing some of the challenges but forgetting to restock them etc adds a degree of peril to a situation. They are also limited in number. Having the ability to call a helper to fix you each time you've had a tough fight for a few gold is much more helpful. Repair kits are expensive so have to be used wisely for those with limited gold. Repairing at a merchant after a mini boss could cost less than the gold you get from that fight - true it might also pay for a kit but you would need to leave the battle do go get one.

To try and answer your question a bit more, yes, I think that equipment should only be repairable in town. It would encourage better inventory management. Make sure you have a spare in case one gets damaged too much. On the other hand, I think it would be good if you could do some running repairs to siege equipment

Repair kits are not expensive. You dont even have to buy them. You get them free.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    anyone knows if we can access everything as in the bank? i mean, access the guild bank and our guild stores? i'm not interesting at this price, but if it is a complete bank i may buy on a sale. any ideas?
    No, you can only access your personal bank. No guild bank, no guild store.

in that case i wouldn't even pay 1000 crowns for it :')

thanks.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Now Im curious what appearance/race changes and player housing will cost after having seen these prices.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now Im curious what appearance/race changes and player housing will cost after having seen these prices.

are we going to have a player house like in skyrim? i wasn't aware of that. for such a thing i would pay 2500 crowns for sure :)
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not worth it. No. Hell no. Lmao. Are you serious? A vendor that can't even repair your items, and they want 5k crowns for that? Lmao. ZOS is Chris Rock funny with them jokes.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nolphi wrote: »
    Its a personal assistant! Try getting one in real life, they are pretty expensive :) If you feel they are too pricey now then just do your own groceries for now and wait for the next promo. Within the next 6 months you will surely be able to pick them up at 50% discount either through a crown sale or because this will be the item of the month.

If everyone is freaking out now then I am pretty sure the barber shop and player housing will cause quite a stir too. I expect a lot of that stuff, or at least the coolest stuff, to be crown items too. Better start saving up your real life $ boys n girls! And yes, ZOS is in it to make money but lets not go too crazy on that theme. I wouldnt exactly compare them to an investment bank... these are a bunch of creative geeks being held in check by some more business savy and shareholder focussed senior execs, watch ESO Live and you will get a good feel for the place. I dont expect we will see Gina, Kai or any of those people at a senate hearing any time soon explaing how they ruined the world economy :)

Make that a "seriously limited assistant" for 5000 crowns.
    And if the Barber shop is that much,..count me out as well. Exploitation isnt something I buy into.
    ZOS is out to make money,yes.However,they may NOT drop the price.They dont always listen to us in the forums,ya know.
    Once you've been here a lot longer you'll get a good feel for the place.
    (and it is "focused",..one "s".Sorry,but I had to.)
    Oh,and this isnt real life,so items for a game shouldnt cost quite that much,if they plan to sell it.It's mostly those who are frivolous enough to not care about how much they spend in ESO will be buying a bunch of crowns.
    There isnt enough of those people to keep an item in the crown store for long.If it doesnt sell enough,it just might go instead of reduce pricing.It's been done before.
    The pricing is egregious and makes Zenimax look incredibly greedy, once again.

This reminds me of how greedy they looked when they released the game with mobs dropping 1 gold, making you forced to buy the pre-orders if you wanted a horse before lvl 50.

I'm sure they will lower the price gradually until they reach the price that makes them the most money, and right now they are just seeing how many idiots they can rip off until then. Sad, but such is business I guess.

Actually,when the game first came out.I saved up gold for my black horse and bought him before I hit level 26. It wasnt easy,granted,but you can do it way before you hit level 50.
    (just saying,even though I realize you were being sarcastic.)
    Edited by Volkodav on April 1, 2016 9:24AM
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hell no! 5000 Crowns is outrageous! Can't believe people are actually forking that much out.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with having the merchant repair your armour is that everyone will start calling them pay-to-win afterwards. It is obvious that people will use it for repairing armour in dungeons and trials, making better times, getting more scores etc. Soon people will say those who paid for the merchant have an unfair advantage and keep getting better score. We don't want a pay-to-win game, so just get the merchant if you like his concept and can't be bothered to port to town. No need to ask for a repair facility that you might later regret!!

eg: "LF player with merchant for MoL. Plz link your merchant to get an invite" <-- This is something I don't want to see :D
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    The issue with having the merchant repair your armour is that everyone will start calling them pay-to-win afterwards. It is obvious that people will use it for repairing armour in dungeons and trials, making better times, getting more scores etc. Soon people will say those who paid for the merchant have an unfair advantage and keep getting better score. We don't want a pay-to-win game, so just get the merchant if you like his concept and can't be bothered to port to town. No need to ask for a repair facility that you might later regret!!

eg: "LF player with merchant for MoL. Plz link your merchant to get an invite" <-- This is something I don't want to see :D

They already sell repair kits on the crown store you can do the exact same thing with. Except its faster.
    Edited by jamesharv2005ub17_ESO on April 1, 2016 9:49AM
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LMar wrote: »

I agree with this.However,the price shouldnt be that high if all the merchant does is buy,not sell anything. It should be more like 2000 crowns perhaps.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not comparable. Race changes will likely be a service that is not available in-game, while player housing is content. The pricing of services and content that cannot otherwise be obtained is not comparable to the pricing of convenience which just short-cuts an in-game activity.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The way new items are being priced,I will most likely ignore new things such as housing and race changes,or the Barber shop. I wasnt ready for being thrown such pricing.
    My not buying anything wont hurt ZOS in any way,but because they are charging such exorbitant amounts of money I wont buy the crowns to purchase things,on principle.

One small step for playerkind.
    Edited by Volkodav on April 1, 2016 10:14AM
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this one were to pay 5,000 crowns for an assistant this one would expect them to be producing perfect roe from their ears every five minutes.

All we can do is vote with our paws and our purses. Even if this one had a million crowns lying around this one would not be handing them over for something as poor value as this. Khajiit is no great scholar yes but even she is no fool.

When we get the housing this one does not want to be charged 5,000 crowns for every single brick.

There is an old hairless one saying this one thinks - 'give them an inch and then they take a mile'. No inches will khajiit be giving today!

Yours with coin cautious paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • L2Pissue
    L2Pissue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is how 90% of whoever bought those assistants will feel next morning when they're sober
    images.jpg
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    L2Pissue wrote: »
    this is how 90% of whoever bought those assistants will feel next morning when they're sober
    images.jpg

A lot of em prob used someone elses money to buy it. Be it spouse or parent. So they dont care. Its free to them.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a comment I just added in another thread... I think it sums up the reason why I, and many others, have bought the assistants.

I find assistants especially useful when you're out grinding, run out of inventory, pop the Banker, deposit items to sell later, go back to grinding... rinse and repeat until bank and inventory are both full, then return to town to decon and sell. Makes life MUCH easier than having to run to town every time your inventory is maxed while grinding.

The question is... what would people pay for convenience of being able to spend more time playing and less time running back and forth between town and grinding location... time is money afterall. People like to make it sound easy to just pop back and forth between town and locations, but that is true only if your grind spot is close to a wayshrine, but many are not... so I'd much rather spend time playing than traveling. Thus, for me, my time playing is more important than the money spent for assistants.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see the in game chatter about these now that people are buying them and can really tell us after using them if they are worth the 5,000 crowns.
    On that, at least two people who bought them are now feeling ripped off because they didn't realise the limitations the assistants had (no Guild Bank, no Repairs).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The assistants are limited on what they can do and not worth the 5000 crowns. An example, you can find Merchants traveling the roads of Tamriel that will buy, sell and repair. The personal merchant cannot repair or sell. For 5000 crowns it's a Rip off.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see the in game chatter about these now that people are buying them and can really tell us after using them if they are worth the 5,000 crowns.
    On that, at least two people who bought them are now feeling ripped off because they didn't realise the limitations the assistants had (no Guild Bank, no Repairs).

Serves them right. If they drop $50 without so much as informing themselves about what exactly they're buying, it's all on them. I dislike the crown store and think the assistants are overpriced. But ZOS did disclose their limitations.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if ZOS will make a mount that they'll put up for like 5k crowns, but it can't have its carry capacity, speed, nor stamina increased and or doesn't factor it in at all. But at the same time, is able to be summoned in places that your normal mount can't. Lol.
    Edited by Ch4mpTW on April 1, 2016 12:09PM
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the banker because I have loads of crowns and nothing to spend them on.

I am guessing here but perhaps ZOS looked at BI reports and see there are many long term players such as I who have remained sub`ed since the start but we are not spending our crowns and they are trying to find things for a "crown sink" and this is one option.

I am now "Mr Popular" as I get invited to all the cool parties now that I can bring a banker with me. Guys want to be me and the girls with to be with me.
    Life is good!
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    Serves them right. If they drop $50 without so much as informing themselves about what exactly they're buying, it's all on them. I dislike the crown store and think the assistants are overpriced. But ZOS did disclose their limitations.
    Technically, they didn't disclose their limitations. They stated their available features, which is not the same thing. If the potential features of something are X, Y, and Z, saying that it can do X doesn't immediately mean that it can't do Y or Z.

I mentioned this in the official feedback thread when the assistants were on PTS:
    I think it needs to be further clarified in the tooltips before purchase the limitations of these assistants, otherwise you may get people buying them expecting all the standard services from this sort of NPC, and not receiving them.
    • It needs to explicitly state that the Merchant does not have any items for sale, and does not offer repair services.
    • It needs to explicitly state that the Banker cannot access the Guild Bank or Guild Store.
    If you read the tooltips carefully, it does imply this (the merchant "will buy anything", the banker is available for "personal banking services"), but I think further clarity is needed to avoid confusion.
    Seems they didn't take that into account.

Edited by Enodoc on April 1, 2016 12:35PM
  • Zenzuki
    Zenzuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a group of people chatting about these ASSistants last night by the Riften wayshrine, about how convenient it would be to access them to repair gear and get to their guild store, etc.

The way they were talking, I initially thought they were being facetious and that they knew that this wasn't the case and were just having a go. Then I heard one say he'd be right back....

I tried to chime in but he/they apparently didn't hear me!

(( I now couldn't help myself but belay my intended wayshrine voyage for a bit! :wink: ))

A minute later, the guy returns to the mic... "Just got the Vendor, let's check it out. . .

. . .Wait, it can't repair here. Oh wait, it can't repair AT ALL?!?!. . .

Damn. . . Seems I just wasted fifty quid!" :disappointed:

I mentioned that that was the case and that I tried relaying that beforehand, but wasn't heard in time.

I have a feeling a lot of people are in (or are going to be in) the same situation as this group. The store descriptions don't mention the things "they don't do", that most will assume that they do (because that is their normal operation).... and will have buyers remorse or worse!

Might be a bottom-line friendly way to do business ZOS, but certainly not a way to keep a happy, healthy user-base. Last I checked, most people don't like being treated as prey (or nothing more than dollar signs) !
    Can Open...
    Worms EVERYWHERE!
  • Bramble
    Bramble
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to feel a chilled distance from a game I was falling head over heels for.

It's truly sad. I have the crowns saved up, because of ESO Plus, but I'll never spend it on the assistants if they are to be forever 5k. The coins can just lie there til the end of time or the closure of the game, whichever comes first. It's the principle of the matter.

Another game was ruined for me after going F2P with a regrettable cash shop. Nothing like going to a vendor and seeing the prices of mats listed essentially by the dollar. To throw salt in the wound, they removed drops off mobs a short time later, coincidentally leaving fewer mats for their honest players and more reason to resort to simply buying what you want.

It's not playing any longer at that point. It's PAYING. Sure, shopping is a game for some people, but it's not the kind of game I find entertaining. I want to feel joy in taking the time to gather goods with my characters in a world that feels like their home.

I walked away from that game, despite its fantastic housing. I lost the heart to play. And it's not about being reluctant to part with money for my gaming hobby. I even enjoy supporting the games I wish to remain on the market. I never mind getting a few mounts, pets, costumes, the silly fluff of things without stats or advantage over other players who may not be able to afford the newest cash shop shinies.

The stickler is, when a game turns into a hollow shell for a slot machine instead of a virtual world where your character plays the game for most of the good loot, there's no longer any desire for that game to stay on the market. Pricing needs to be responsibly done or the game descends into a murky den of fleecers and hucksters.

You have to feel pity for the people who buy too deeply into those kind of systems, for whatever reason--lack of discipline, OCD, manipulating poor parents, not realizing the value of their own money or someone else's. But revulsion is what I feel towards a company turning their virtual world into nothing more than a fantasy version of a tourist trap.

When items in cash shops seem fair, it's not a bad way of generating revenue to keep the game you want to play profitable for them and fun for you. But when the marked up items seem designed to prey on fans, the game is forever tarnished and all that was in it becomes worth less, not more, because you see laid bare the lack of value in the overpriced pixels.

What could have been a beloved fantasy home you invested in for many fond years becomes a place you'd rather avoid.

I love what I know of ESO thus far; I want to continue to feel good about spending my time and money here. But this is a terrible misstep. Please back up from this particular fork in the road and take another path--one of reasonable pricing, where items don't cost more than entire zones filled with myriad quests and activities, a path that leads to players looking forward to what they'll spend their monthly crowns on instead of dreading yet more extortionary fees.