The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

5000 Crowns for the upcoming assistants. Worth it ? ^^

• Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5k crowns? WTH, I bought some crowns on sale a while back, but I'll be damned if I throw it all away on these. How is it possible that these convenience pets are worth 2k crowns more than base Orsinium?

Fire the guy in charge of pricing.

We can only hope ZOS learns from this. Over 90% would not buy out of ~100 before mods closed the poll thread as a duplicate.

I love the game guys, but your marketing psychologists are TERRIBLE.
    Edited by Phinix1 on March 31, 2016 5:43PM
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will take a pass on these items along with all the other overpriced impulse items in the store!

The majority of people that will purchase these are the ESO Plus members so I doubt ZOS is getting much revenue influx at all, just burning stocked up Crowns.
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have already bought and used both. They are pretty neat (repair option and guild bank access would make them awesome of course) and I can see them being useful when I am running dungeons, trials, while farming, doing writs etc..... I don't understand why people are so shocked at the price when some motifs were 5k also.

I don't buy motifs either. Overpriced and for just one character. Nor do I buy riding lessons, xp scrolls, etc. I do buy mounts and the odd pet (not all, just the ones I really like) and a handful of costumes. All were under 3k and are available to all.

I was looking forward to the assistants, but at that price, I'll manage without.

Lots of stuff coming in April that I really want, so would rather make my crowns go the distance on those instead.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    5k crowns? WTH, I bought some crowns on sale a while back, but I'll be damned if I throw it all away on these. How is it possible that these convenience pets are worth 2k crowns more than base Orsinium?

We can only hope ZOS learns from this. Over 90% would not buy out of ~100 before mods closed the poll thread as a duplicate.

While the mods closed the thread, the poll is still active and people can still vote in it:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/256386/at-5000-crowns-each-will-you-buy-the-new-assistants/p1
    Last I checked this is what the results looked like:
    Poll5_zpsqy3pekct.jpg
    So out of 431 people voting 390 (90%) won't buy either assistant, and only 16 (3%) will buy both.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    Greetings all,

We are glad to see everyone voicing their opinions in regards to the assistance. Now as this thread has become rather heated, we have removed a few posts for Flaming to help keep this civil and constructive.
    Flaming: It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.

But are you people actually TAKING NOTE of the sentiments here? This is GREED, pure and simple. Greed.

Did someone say: 'Let's see how far we can fleece our players before they stop paying'?

That price for full functionality, then maybe, yes, but for gimped services that you can get better in town? NO.

"Greed"? How profitable do you think ESO is?

Your cynicism seems out of touch with how people in companies like these actually think. They want revenue to keep the business healthy and profitable so that they don't have to close shop.

Consider that people might use these assistants for 5-10 years. Their value won't diminish the same way that vanity items or motifs get boring and played out. I don't see how assistants for 5000 is overpriced when people buy mounts for 2000 when they already have mounts. People spend 5k on motifs that they lose interest in a month later. The assistants will still be incredibly convenient 5 years from now.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one I would consider is the banker. I'm ok with it not having guild bank access. However at 5k, I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on it, even with the 50% off crowns. I have a good job and can afford it at full price but it's the principle of it. 5k crowns is more than the DLCs......really?

I am also ok with both not being usable in Cyrodil (there are enough problem there already).

The merchant is useless because it doesn't repair. If I have to find a merchant to repair anyway, what's the point?.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    I don't know why people defend them.

Because a business model where necessary stuff (DLC) is cheap and unnecessary stuff (assitants, mounts, pets, costumes) is expensive is GOOD FOR ME, and good for all of us.
    I agree with you there, but that fluff stuff should be comparable. They're more useful than cosmetics, so that puts them above 1,000. They're more niche than mounts, so that puts them above 1,800. But is an assistant with such limited functionality worth as much as a Gold motif? They're both time-savers, but buying a motif saves a lot more time than going to the nearest city, and has no downsides.

Also you seem to have a random dot at the bottom of some of your posts, which is visually jarring :stuck_out_tongue:

But motifs do nothing for you. Motifs will be old and boring (assuming you ever cared about them, which I don't) 4 years from now when the assistant is still doing their job. Motifs are mostly to satisfy completionists or to sell to completionists. How many motifs do you have that you have never used? I suspect quite a few.
  • deadlock007
    deadlock007
    ✭✭✭
    Thornen wrote: »
    I have already bought and used both. They are pretty neat (repair option and guild bank access would make them awesome of course) and I can see them being useful when I am running dungeons, trials, while farming, doing writs etc..... I don't understand why people are so shocked at the price when some motifs were 5k also.

$40 for a motif is also ridiculous but at least you can acquire those in game for gold.

Even more of a reason that 5k for a motif is crazy, but some people bought them (I confess that I bought the glass one) and no one really complained. So now they know they can get away with those kind of prices. At least the banker and merchant actually do something and are not only account wide but your group can use them too.

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't buy motifs either. Overpriced and for just one character. Nor do I buy riding lessons, xp scrolls, etc. I do buy mounts and the odd pet (not all, just the ones I really like) and a handful of costumes. All were under 3k and are available to all.

I was looking forward to the assistants, but at that price, I'll manage without.

Lots of stuff coming in April that I really want, so would rather make my crowns go the distance on those instead.

You sound reasonable in your reply so this is not a criticism of you. On the other hand, I find it absurd that people who spend 2k and vanity items like mounts take issue with 5k for something that actually adds major convenience to gameplay such as bank access.
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    I find it absurd that people who spend 2k and vanity items like mounts take issue with 5k for something that actually adds major convenience to gameplay such as bank access.

if some one new to the game and reads your comment, he will think that he must travel 30 minutes across tamriel to find a banker
    Edited by Waseem on April 1, 2016 4:19PM
    PC EU

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

We are glad to see everyone voicing their opinions in regards to the assistance. Now as this thread has become rather heated, we have removed a few posts for Flaming to help keep this civil and constructive.
    Flaming: It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.

But are you people actually TAKING NOTE of the sentiments here? This is GREED, pure and simple. Greed.

Did someone say: 'Let's see how far we can fleece our players before they stop paying'?

That price for full functionality, then maybe, yes, but for gimped services that you can get better in town? NO.

Your cynicism seems out of touch with how people in companies like these actually think. They want revenue to keep the business healthy and profitable so that they don't have to close shop.

Consider that people might use these assistants for 5-10 years. Their value won't diminish the same way that vanity items or motifs get boring and played out. I don't see how assistants for 5000 is overpriced when people buy mounts for 2000 when they already have mounts. People spend 5k on motifs that they lose interest in a month later. The assistants will still be incredibly convenient 5 years from now.

I think the person out of touch here is you. Ive worked in retail and I can tell you that when it comes to pricing...It can definitely be a touch of greed.

The company isnt working to keep their doors opened. Theyre working to make a profit. By cutting costs and squeezing the customer for every penny theyre manipulated to part with. You know how I know its manipulative? Pay attention to the cost of items before Black Friday and the "Sales Price" of something on Black Friday. Its the same price. Theyll do the same thing with other items through out the year with their Store Loyalty Perks Cards. Theyll list an item as cheaper with a perks card and about a day or so into the deal theyll have employees go through the store and remove the old price tag/sales tag and replace it with a different one. Where the new price is higher and the new sales price tag is what the old price tag was.

The Merchant and Banker are currently in the Stores now and take a wild guess at how they worded their descriptions. No mention of the fact the Merchant wont repair your items or sell you anything. And with the Banker is labeled differently from the notification to the actual description in the store making it seem as if he does more than just put stuff in your personal bank.

The truth is that a company wouldnt need to be manipulative to be profitable. If your wares are of good quality....you wouldnt need to mislead anyone.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • deadlock007
    deadlock007
    ✭✭✭
    Waseem wrote: »
    I find it absurd that people who spend 2k and vanity items like mounts take issue with 5k for something that actually adds major convenience to gameplay such as bank access.

if some one new to the game and reads your comment, he will think that he must travel 30 minutes across tamriel to find a banker

I just want to point out that you have me quoted as saying this, which I didn't, I would also like to point out that I agree with the person you quoted though.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I just want to point out that you have me quoted as saying this, which I didn't, I would also like to point out that I agree with the person you quoted though.

Its far from a major convenience. A minor convenience yes. A major one? No. The average joe player will not see their moneys worth and they wont see a serious advantage to having these over just porting to a city and spending five minutes there.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Phinix1 wrote: »

While the mods closed the thread, the poll is still active and people can still vote in it:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/256386/at-5000-crowns-each-will-you-buy-the-new-assistants/p1
    Last I checked this is what the results looked like:
    Poll5_zpsqy3pekct.jpg
    So out of 431 people voting 390 (90%) won't buy either assistant, and only 16 (3%) will buy both.

Wow...that actually shut it down???

There was zero fighting or arguing...they just couldn't take how little of their players fell for this scam.

And yes, it is a scam.
    Tripped over my friends bra.....
    ..she is always setting booby traps!
  • Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭

You sound reasonable in your reply so this is not a criticism of you. On the other hand, I find it absurd that people who spend 2k and vanity items like mounts take issue with 5k for something that actually adds major convenience to gameplay such as bank access.

Really? Because I bought the 2k fire horse happily, have had it for a long time and love it, same with my cat pet. Some things I will pay for, but this is insane, you dont see a difference between a 2k MOUNT, and a 5k assistant? Its more than double....
    Tripped over my friends bra.....
    ..she is always setting booby traps!
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

See, I had moved on from this thread thinking that the vast majority opinion (that this is way too many crowns for a mediocre convenience item) would remain unchanged. And then I see this wonderful little green banner, and I think to myself, "Hey! ZOS responded and they might lower the price to something even remotely reasonable!"

I was wrong, again. Don't flame guys. Flaming is bad, mmkay.
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I'll say is that seeing these assistant prices have made me VERY glad that I have absolutely zero interest in things like race changes, class changes, alliance changes, a barber shop, and player housing. Because if these two NPCs are 5k crowns each, then all those other things (that people have been clamoring for since the crown store was opened) are going to be even more ludicrously priced.
  • deadlock007
    deadlock007
    ✭✭✭

Its far from a major convenience. A minor convenience yes. A major one? No. The average joe player will not see their moneys worth and they wont see a serious advantage to having these over just porting to a city and spending five minutes there.

Have you have never tried starting a raid and someone forgot some gear in their bank, or been out farming and run out of space, or grinding and need to vendor items or many other things that the new assistants will make easier. That's just a couple of examples where I see them being useful to me. I have never claimed to be the average Joe, to me time = money, and I see the convenience of them paying for themselves in the long run. Less time running back and forth will mean more time doing what I want to do in game.

Obviously a lot of people really wanted to buy the new NPCs and simply can't afford it or are too cheap hence the uproar. Then they start bashing their usefulness and the people who buy them. All I gotta say is it's my money and

cartman-i-do-what-I-want.jpg

• WaTeR-aBuSeR
    WaTeR-aBuSeR
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 5k price would be fine if the merchant repaired and banker actually had a guild bank and store. I also wish they just came out with one NPC that was everything in one. Now that would be convenient. Going to be really sad if they come out with a repair npc, guild bank, or trader. That would definitely show they just want money outta them.
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logged in to buy assistants. Saw price, logged out.

If they were 5000 crowns together, I would have bought them. Each? Lol. No.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is such an extreme amount of money that I can only come to the conclusion that zos are testing the community to see exactly just how much we are willing to pay for desirable items/features....

Absolutely agree that's what they're doing. "Let's see how far we can go" seems to be the business model.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about.
    • If you think the assistants are not worth having because they lack features => fine, don't buy them, this is none of your business, it doesn't affect you.
    • If you think the assistants are worth having but too expensive and people won't buy them => if you're right, just wait, the price will be adjusted downwards. If you're wrong, then many people will buy them, it will make money for the game and we'll get extra features and functionalities in the base game without having to pay extra cash for it because they'll be financed buy these crown shop items.

I fail to see in what situation you'd loose anything.
    And finally, every penny earned by ZOS is a penny more for game stability and development (well that's an assumption on my side because nothing tells us they invest all profit back into development, but it's a security for the long term future of the game).

Stop bashing, start thinking. Noone forces you to buy.

It's as much our business to comment as it is yours to tell us not to. Just because we're talking about the assistants doesnt mean we're complaining,per se. If people didnt comment on things that concern or bother them,there would be no forums.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    amberjl_S wrote: »
    Absolutely agree that's what they're doing. "Let's see how far we can go" seems to be the business model.

Sadly, this is par for the course in the MMO industry now. Look around most MMOs with a cash shop. whether sub, B2P, F2P or hybrid, and you'll see this going on. It takes various forms from game to game, but the underlying greed is the same.

It feels to me as if the studios know that the popularity of MMOs as a genre is waning and they're all just milking their respective player bases while they can. They mask this as "keeping the game afloat" but precious little seems to get reinvested into fixing bugs, server upgrades or developing quality, polished content. Most established MMOs are now in what can best be called 'maintenance mode'.

If players want to buy these overpriced cash shop items if it brings you pleasure, then it's their choice. But please don't dress it up as "saving the game" or "keeping the game afloat" because that's not what's happening here.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is such an extreme amount of money that I can only come to the conclusion that zos are testing the community to see exactly just how much we are willing to pay for desirable items/features....

And now the question is: is it too far eventually?
    A couple of days ago I would say YES without a doubt but now, seeing people actually buying this overpriced and deficient product, and at the same time admitting that it costs too much, I am not that certain. People agree to be ripped off and the worst is they do it consciously.

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

I think the person out of touch here is you. Ive worked in retail and I can tell you that when it comes to pricing...It can definitely be a touch of greed.

The company isnt working to keep their doors opened. Theyre working to make a profit. By cutting costs and squeezing the customer for every penny theyre manipulated to part with. You know how I know its manipulative? Pay attention to the cost of items before Black Friday and the "Sales Price" of something on Black Friday. Its the same price. Theyll do the same thing with other items through out the year with their Store Loyalty Perks Cards. Theyll list an item as cheaper with a perks card and about a day or so into the deal theyll have employees go through the store and remove the old price tag/sales tag and replace it with a different one. Where the new price is higher and the new sales price tag is what the old price tag was.

The Merchant and Banker are currently in the Stores now and take a wild guess at how they worded their descriptions. No mention of the fact the Merchant wont repair your items or sell you anything. And with the Banker is labeled differently from the notification to the actual description in the store making it seem as if he does more than just put stuff in your personal bank.

The truth is that a company wouldnt need to be manipulative to be profitable. If your wares are of good quality....you wouldnt need to mislead anyone.

Why would they mention what they won't do?

And keeping prices high and then doing regular sales is the norm these days in sales. That is why I only buy many things on sale. I also track prices to know if the sales are real. Don't confuse psychological games for greed. There is a lot of competition for people's money and quality doesn't really sell. Marketing sells. People don't know the quality until they have already bought the item.

Perhaps the people complaining about the price are just as greedy?
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on March 31, 2016 7:50PM
  • Rumba1
    Rumba1
    ✭✭✭
    I bought both, merchant and banker.

I sub and have for nearly two years, had plenty of crowns sitting in the bank, so why not?

With 8 veteran toons, I can station one at each decon and crafting station.
    While one character is out adventuring I need never go back to town, even for repairs since I have plenty of repair kits.

I spend a lot of time doing writs, mostly to get tempers and nirncrux. With this added convenience I will save tons of time.

• Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can afford both but won't buy either. I don't agree with the price, should be anything between 1,500-2,500 each. Whilst it is account wide and very useful it has two major limitations like the lack of repair and guild bank / store. Definately not worth 5,000 crowns that is almost 2 DLCs combined.
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep. Leave no money on the table. They can always drop the process after demand truly dies.
    There are whales who will definitely buy these no matter what the poll says.
  • mistermutiny89
    mistermutiny89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't be touching the assistants till I see the new senche on sale.

I've missed out of the cheetah twice. I shall not miss that crazy demon spawn from the ground cat!
    Guild Leader : Defenders Of Miley
    XB1 EU
    EP | VR16 Breton NB -mistermutiny
    AD | VR16 Dunmer DK - Grigori
    AD | VR16 Altmer Sorcerer - Isvoleet
    AD | VR16 Imperial DK - Leonidas
    AD | VR16 Bosmer NB - Hood
    AD | VR16 Breton Templar - Dante
    AD | VR16 Redguard Sorcerer - Raiden
    AD | VR7 Khajiit Templar - Ike'ilyew
    DC | 160 Breton NB - Vergil

"Hmmm... Very convincing.. Does the illusion apply to.. Everywhere? Perhaps this one should have a moment alone in private to double check" - Razum'Dar
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rumba1 wrote: »
    I bought both, merchant and banker.

I sub and have for nearly two years, had plenty of crowns sitting in the bank, so why not?

With 8 veteran toons, I can station one at each decon and crafting station.
    While one character is out adventuring I need never go back to town, even for repairs since I have plenty of repair kits.

I spend a lot of time doing writs, mostly to get tempers and nirncrux. With this added convenience I will save tons of time.

... and you will lose tons of money.
    But yeah... eventually it's your money so spend it as you wish.