The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

5000 Crowns for the upcoming assistants. Worth it ? ^^

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Also you seem to have a random dot at the bottom of some of your posts, which is visually jarring :stuck_out_tongue:

Those are intentional... I often edit my posts for typos and such, and dislike having the "edit" line stuck to the post. Esthetics I guess, YMMV. But if it is annoying for the reader, I can change this "habit" ;-)

• Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also you seem to have a random dot at the bottom of some of your posts, which is visually jarring :stuck_out_tongue:

Those are intentional... I often edit my posts for typos and such, and dislike having the "edit" line stuck to the post. Esthetics I guess, YMMV. But if it is annoying for the reader, I can change this "habit" ;-)

You don't need to add the period, though. Maybe it was needed previously, but now you can just put two blank lines at the end and it should separate the "edited" line.

edit: see?

Edited by Merlight on March 31, 2016 12:46PM
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • TiberX
    TiberX
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would pay 1k max
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @jamesharv2005ub17_ESO

I would say 'greed is good when you greed for good'. As pure greed in an unregulated market system would cause collapse since allocation of resources becomes *** poor.

Check out the writing of Bernard Mandeville he has one of my favorite qoutes.

"Pride and vanity have built more hospitals than charity ever will".... it touches back on greed is good if you greed for good which Mandeville makes a compelling case about.

Also anyone wondering on price points my post earlier (first post) may spark some thoughts.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @jamesharv2005ub17_ESO

I would say 'greed is good when you greed for good'. As pure greed in an unregulated market system would cause collapse since allocation of resources becomes *** poor.

Check out the writing of Bernard Mandeville he has one of my favorite qoutes.

"Pride and vanity have built more hospitals than charity ever will".... it touches back on greed is good if you greed for good which Mandeville makes a compelling case about.

Also anyone wondering on price points my post earlier (first post) may spark some thoughts.

Right but this is a game and its based on making a lot of money. These are convience items nothing changes for me if I dont buy one. I wont bother with them honestly even if they were free. By the time I need to sell stuff I also need repairs. If it wont repair my stuff then I dont see what the use of it is. I can easily port to a town or catch a wandering vendor.
  • Mcwoods55
    Mcwoods55
    ✭✭✭
    I say a mass boycott and then maybe they lower the price but I know that won't happen
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    wonkydog wrote: »
    Oh got all excited when I saw the 'Z' next to the thread. Been here long enough to realise it wouldn't have been an answer, yet I still had hope :(

Same here, was hoping for some clarifing statement or something...........oh well
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ritzey01 wrote: »
    Oh got all excited when I saw the 'Z' next to the thread. Been here long enough to realise it wouldn't have been an answer, yet I still had hope :(

Same here, was hoping for some clarifing statement or something...........oh well

What do you need clarified?
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I'm the OP, but 80% of the posts I see here are "I can port in a town, go to a travelling merchant".

I'm surprised because I don't see how it is relevant. Yes, everyone in the game can do that. Obviously, those NPCs are meant for times when you are not playing solo/"can't afford" to loose time.

So that got me thinking (Yes it does happen to me sometimes. But do not worry, it does not happen too often)

Me and others were speaking about raiding guilds. I honestly think raiders were one of the main target with those assistants (and farmers/grinders).
    Then I agree it is probably a small part of the community - even combined - that would ever need the convenience of those assistants.

So... I may be wrong, but I guess raiders/HL PvErs - and "heavy grinders/farmers" (like maybe biggest sellers in the biggest trading guilds, etc), well, I think those people are subscribers mostly. Some people even said it in this thread : they are sitting on tons of unused crowns.

Could it be that it was their idea ? Give a real convenience item/NPC for people who have lots of crowns and no need for cosmetics, etc ?

I'm still not defending that choice of price, though. That said, even with all its flaws, I like the game and I wish those flaws could be addressed. They need money for that, so yes, they need to sell things/services.
    But in that case, wouldn't Zeni make an even biggest profit if it was cheaper ? Isn't it better to sell 20 times something at 1000 crowns than 2 times something at 5000 crowns ?
    I may be naive there, I don't mind you telling me so.

But speaking for myself again, when I tried the Banker on the PTS, I was like : "Neat ! This is my new favorite NPC ! I'm going to buy it ASAP ! It will probably be expansive, but I have some crowns stashed away, I think it would be a good investment !"

But because I feel like the price is really too high (especially if you convert it in real money), even though (I feel like) I need it and have the money/crowns, I won't buy it.

Call it "principle" if you want. Because that's probably what it is.
    Edited by Usara on March 31, 2016 1:48PM
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think if the sales dont match projections then they will lower the price eventually.
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭

There was a questions on if the 5000 crowns is for both or each. Its on like page 4 or 5 of this thread i think. They will be released in about 10 mins or so, so we will see soon.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There was a questions on if the 5000 crowns is for both or each. Its on like page 4 or 5 of this thread i think. They will be released in about 10 mins or so, so we will see soon.

Its each.
  • Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats loads of money but screw it, I am filthy rich!

Jordan-Belfort-Throws-Out-Money-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

.....Why does that matter?

Would you pay $100 for a lemon? Or $600 for a bag of bread?

If you think $50 EACH for this is reasonable, than I think the only way you could have become rich, was selling your body on the street corner.
    Tripped over my friends bra.....
    ..she is always setting booby traps!
  • Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭
    NativeJoe wrote: »
    Mark my words guys... if we don't express our points of views on this sorta pricing... player housing is going to go like this:

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 crowns for a small land plot
    5000 crowns for a medium size land plot
    10000 crowns for a large land plot

500 crowns for a bare hut
    1000 crowns for a bare cabin
    2000 crowns for a bare tower
    3000 crowns for a bare house
    4000 crowns for a bare medium sized house
    5000 crowns for a bare large house
    7500 crowns for a bare estate
    10000 crowns for a bare castle

50 crowns for a picture on the wall
    50 crowns for a chair
    50 crowns for a table
    100 crowns for a Vase
    100 crowns for rug
    100 crowns for bed
    250 crowns for a stove
    250 crowns for a alchemy stand
    250 crowns for a enchanting stand
    500 crowns for a blacksmithing station
    500 crowns for a woodworking station
    500 crowns for a clothing station
    750 crowns for a decorative hearth
    750 crowns for a pile of dwemer artifacts
    750 crowns for a pile of jewels and treasures
    1000 crowns for a ritual site
    1000 crowns for servant npcs
    1000 crowns for Guest quarters
    2500 crowns for 1 of the 8 racial packs
    5000 crowns for one of the exotic packs
    10000 for molag bals realm pack

5000 crowns per equip-able mannequin.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

lol, what a great way to ruin housing in every way.
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope499 wrote: »
    Thats loads of money but screw it, I am filthy rich!

Jordan-Belfort-Throws-Out-Money-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

.....Why does that matter?

Would you pay $100 for a lemon? Or $600 for a bag of bread?

If you think $50 EACH for this is reasonable, than I think the only way you could have become rich, was selling your body on the street corner.

Yep people seem to forget that 5k crowns is priced at $40-50 depending on the country your in. It's a ridiculous price to pay for anything offered in game full stop.
    Edited by Thornen on March 31, 2016 2:19PM
  • GreenGhostMan
    GreenGhostMan
    ✭✭✭
    5000 crowns is insanely too much... I would consider 1500, maybe 2000, but 5000?? Hahahahahahaha
    Alozar [] AD [] vet7 High Elf Templar
    Dronus Agni [] AD [] 9 Redguard DK
    Vaden Luxor [] AD [] 4 Redguard Templar
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they're available now folks so I guess Zos ignored us completely as usual. For those of you who defended this pricing don't come crying to me when they do the same thing next time.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly $40.00 for these 2 things is absolutely ridiculous. I am completely appalled. That's some serious price gouging ZOS.
    disgust1.jpg_595_zpsrydpygid.jpg

I shudder to think what you're going to pull with housing and the barber shop. Please, reconsider this epic amount of greed.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the cost is too high but then I have a bunch of crowns in my account sitting about and so will probably buy one of them anyway and then feel mild irritation when they go on sale in 2-3 months time for some holiday or other.

It is definitely too much if ZOS are looking to shift a lot of them but if they are simply looking to use them as a bit of a crown sink for those who are sitting on lots of them and a high end luxury item for those who don't mind spending a bit of money
    then fine.

And they are a luxury - a high end item that is more about mild convenience that real practical application simply there for the occasional time you really can't be bothered to get to a wayshrine.

There are lots of genuine problem,s with the game but over pricing an item that you have absolutely no need to buy is not a reason for rage - buy them if you feel like it, don't buy them if you don't. If you really want them and can't justify the crowns then wait for the inevitable sale :)

Boom. All this.

I was glad to see the limitations on these on the PTS. I was concerned everyone and their pet guar would have one - and no limitations would cause city hubs to be a lot less bustling. If I knew they were going to be priced so high (so that due to price everyone and their dog would NOT have one) I would have definitely suggested some more options be added to them.

It is what is it is though, and I'll be picking up the banker when I get online tonight.

I found multiple convenient uses for the banker while I was on the PTS and would happily skip some loadscreens and use him instead. The merchant, eh, that's a bit useless as I'll just put my sellable junk into the bank via my banker until I get back to a town.

Yes, they are priced high. Yes, it's a bit ridiculous. Although those who have the spare crowns (or purchased crowns on sale earlier this month because we KNEW these assistants were coming today) can buy them. Those who don't can pony up a bunch of cash or wait for a sale. As pointed out multiple times - this really just is a convenience item. No one needs it to be better or do better in the game - so it's fine if it's not bought by everyone and their pet guar.

I subscribe because I enjoy the bonuses, and it's just "normal" for me as I subscribed before the game went buy to play. So yes, I have crowns. As well, when crown sales go on - I buy one of the largest packs. This ensures my pocket is always padded with crowns when they decide to release something overly expensive (usually it's limited items) that I would like.

[EDIT] @MornaBaine Did mention something while I was typing though that I'd like to touch on.
    I shudder to think what you're going to pull with housing and the barber shop. Please, reconsider this epic amount of greed.
    I'm pretty much okay with the pricing of these assistants because as MANY people have pointed out - you can just wayshrine (port to a friend for free!) somewhere and hit up these services. Something such as barber shop which is currently NOT available in the game at all - should be priced to reach a more mass audience. There absolutely is a difference in charging a ridiculously high amount of crowns for something in the crown store that is purely chasing after the folks who want to save 2 minutes. Something NOT available in game needs to be easily accessible by everyone. (Which - by the way - I think barber shop SHOULD be available in the game)
    Edited by MissBizz on March 31, 2016 2:42PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I think the cost is too high but then I have a bunch of crowns in my account sitting about and so will probably buy one of them anyway and then feel mild irritation when they go on sale in 2-3 months time for some holiday or other.

It is definitely too much if ZOS are looking to shift a lot of them but if they are simply looking to use them as a bit of a crown sink for those who are sitting on lots of them and a high end luxury item for those who don't mind spending a bit of money
    then fine.

And they are a luxury - a high end item that is more about mild convenience that real practical application simply there for the occasional time you really can't be bothered to get to a wayshrine.

There are lots of genuine problem,s with the game but over pricing an item that you have absolutely no need to buy is not a reason for rage - buy them if you feel like it, don't buy them if you don't. If you really want them and can't justify the crowns then wait for the inevitable sale :)

Boom. All this.

I was glad to see the limitations on these on the PTS. I was concerned everyone and their pet guar would have one - and no limitations would cause city hubs to be a lot less bustling. If I knew they were going to be priced so high (so that due to price everyone and their dog would NOT have one) I would have definitely suggested some more options be added to them.

It is what is it is though, and I'll be picking up the banker when I get online tonight.

I found multiple convenient uses for the banker while I was on the PTS and would happily skip some loadscreens and use him instead. The merchant, eh, that's a bit useless as I'll just put my sellable junk into the bank via my banker until I get back to a town.

Yes, they are priced high. Yes, it's a bit ridiculous. Although those who have the spare crowns (or purchased crowns on sale earlier this month because we KNEW these assistants were coming today) can buy them. Those who don't can pony up a bunch of cash or wait for a sale. As pointed out multiple times - this really just is a convenience item. No one needs it to be better or do better in the game - so it's fine if it's not bought by everyone and their pet guar.

I subscribe because I enjoy the bonuses, and it's just "normal" for me as I subscribed before the game went buy to play. So yes, I have crowns. As well, when crown sales go on - I buy one of the largest packs. This ensures my pocket is always padded with crowns when they decide to release something overly expensive (usually it's limited items) that I would like.

It's besides the point if you picked up crowns on sale or have a tonne from eso+ the items are still priced at $40 each. I'll definitely not be buying these or anything else in the future if they continue this trend, on sale or otherwise.

Edit: for some reason I keep typing prices rather than priced ><
    Edited by Thornen on March 31, 2016 2:38PM
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are a business out to make money. Greed is good.

Why do people trot this old chestnut out seemingly without much thought?

Greed is not good. Leaving moral issues aside, greed is not a good business strategy. It alienates customers, it harms reputations, it damages brands and it impedes repeat business. Customers like to feel they are getting value for money and that they aren't being fleeced and taken for a ride. Once a company gains a reputation for operating a greedy business model it can be hard to shake off and can impede the brand in the long run in terms of repeat business and attracting new customers.

Yes a business needs to make as much money as it can, to cover costs, pay staff, pay dividends to shareholders, reinvest etc. But this has to be done in a manner which grows and sustains the business. It's easy to set up a business model to be a quick and greedy cash grab and away into the night. But how often can you repeat that before customers walk away? if you want to build a long-lasting relationship with customers, with lots of repeat business then you have to respect those customers. A MMO is exactly the sort of product that relies on repeat business and a long-term business relationship with the customers.

If we want to be playing this game in another 2 years time (or more) then it's in everyones' interests that the game make money in a sustainable way, not just a succession of greedy cash grabs before winding the game down (which seems to be a trend in the MMO market currently).

• Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone in game to see them yet? Just curious if all this is real or not........lol
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Assistants are pure convenience. Housing is content. Those aren't comparable; you want to compare DLC prices for Housing. For Barbershop, you want to compare pure cosmetics, like Pets and Costumes.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thornen wrote: »
    MissBizz wrote: »

then fine.

Boom. All this.

It's besides the point if you picked up crowns on sale or have a tonne from eso+ the items are still priced at $40 each. I'll definitely not be buying these or anything else in the future if they continue this trend, on sale or otherwise.

Edit: for some reason I keep typing prices rather than priced ><

That's up to you how you look at it. If I hadn't bought crowns on sale or had a pile from subscribing - I wouldn't have purchased crowns full price to buy these. Simple. It does make a difference when it will make the decision on if you choose to buy it or not. I'm not saying they aren't ridiculously expensive - they are - but I'm willing to spend the money I paid for crowns on those little 2 minute savings over the lifespan of my time playing ESO.

Sometimes your fingers just do what they want, haha. It's all good ;)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Assistants are pure convenience. Housing is content. Those aren't comparable; you want to compare DLC prices for Housing. For Barbershop, you want to compare pure cosmetics, like Pets and Costumes.

Assistants should just be part of the thieves guild DLC, and accessible to ESO plus members.

This is greed on an entirely new level....its pathetic.
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have already seen them in game. People are actually buying them at this price.

My faith in humanity has diminished greatly today.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thornen wrote: »
    Well they're available now folks so I guess Zos ignored us completely as usual. For those of you who defended this pricing don't come crying to me when they do the same thing next time.

Now we see if the community opinion here matches the rest of the player base.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RealFurion
    RealFurion
    ✭✭
    Anyone in game to see them yet? Just curious if all this is real or not........lol

It is real sadly.
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bought the bank pet for 5k, even tho I was mad at zenimax and found the price too high. Its kind of the same situation when you are mad at your girlfriend, but still have sex with her.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the bank pet for 5k, even tho I was mad at zenimax and found the price too high. Its kind of the same situation when you are mad at your girlfriend, but still have sex with her.

One of those still feels good even if don't want it.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"