Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Snakeblood passive is it worth it?

Beardimus
Beardimus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Curious if anyone uses this? I assume it means you can make mats go further on dual / tri / quad pots by using other ingredients???

I only ever really make Tri Health Pots, magika boosters (spell dam/crit/mag/mag regen) and the equivilent Stam boosters for our tank / physical DPS. oh and occasional invisible / unstoppable for my thief Alt. Anyway I digress. Snake blood. Do you use it?
Xbox One | EU | EP
Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
Alts - - for the Lolz
Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach

Best Answer

• ajwest927
    ajwest927
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    But isn't the idea that it cancels out the negative effects of certain reagents? I.e. If I'm making a tri reagent potion, two positive effects and one negative effect, it cancels those traits? Therefore meaning I can combine mats that are otherwise useless combo as they have negative traits?

There is other tri reagent potions with 3 positive effect that are better than any other potion with 2 positive and 1 negative.

No one want to use any potions with negative side effects no matter how small the effect it may be.

On the unrelated note, detection potions is very useful especially in pvp.
    Answer ✓
  • ajwest927
    ajwest927
    ✭✭✭
    Since everyone prefer the potion you just mention, there is no need to invest points in snakeblood, it's useless even if they add poison in the future.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But isn't the idea that it cancels out the negative effects of certain reagents? I.e. If I'm making a tri reagent potion, two positive effects and one negative effect, it cancels those traits? Therefore meaning I can combine mats that are otherwise useless combo as they have negative traits?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I guess so! Strange they leave it
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's snake oil - no use to anyone, but still costs a lot!

The potions you can make either have no detrimental effects or are poisons. There's no point making a potion of ravage health and hoping to use snakeblood to counter the ill effect - just make a good health potion:)

The whole aspect of potions with negative effects hasn't been well thought out in the game so far.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's useless. Don't make potions with bad sideeffects, unless it is required for doing writs - in which case you don't drink the potion, you just make them and delivery them to get your writ reward :)
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what everyone is saying, but I can see a use, technically speaking, there are better potions sure, however if you are short of those mats and the others are in abundance I guess the idea is that you can make a potion with the positive aspects you want, without the negatives, using up mats that otherwise will have no use. Maybe ill explain better with an example. Nirnroot.

Its one of three that makes invisibility. But has three other negative traits. Put with namaras rot and you have an invisible potion BUT spell crit is cancelled out with lower spell crit so you have a clash. If you use snakeblood does that mean you don't get the negative effect. More so you could say add water hyacinth then have a tri mat potion of invisability and spell crit boost. That make sense?

Another example is nirnroot and blue etemola, ravage health & restore health clash. So again you could have a potion that makes you invisible AND boosts health. Otherwise how else can you get dual function out of a invisible potion if you don't use snakeblood

I just wondered if anyone bothered is what I mean, I assume its there to give wider spread of potion mat combos.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know what everyone is saying, but I can see a use, technically speaking, there are better potions sure, however if you are short of those mats and the others are in abundance I guess the idea is that you can make a potion with the positive aspects you want, without the negatives, using up mats that otherwise will have no use. Maybe ill explain better with an example. Nirnroot.

Its one of three that makes invisibility. But has three other negative traits. Put with namaras rot and you have an invisible potion BUT spell crit is cancelled out with lower spell crit so you have a clash. If you use snakeblood does that mean you don't get the negative effect. More so you could say add water hyacinth then have a tri mat potion of invisability and spell crit boost. That make sense?

Another example is nirnroot and blue etemola, ravage health & restore health clash. So again you could have a potion that makes you invisible AND boosts health. Otherwise how else can you get dual function out of a invisible potion if you don't use snakeblood

I just wondered if anyone bothered is what I mean, I assume its there to give wider spread of potion mat combos.

You need a net of two pluses or minuses to get an effect either negative or positive. Namaras Rot + Nirn Root + Water Hyacinth produces an invisible only potion. One increase spell crit cancels out so you only get net one plus and so no extra effect in the potion. Basically any negatives on an ingredient means you can never use it a potion hoping for the positive effect.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Junkogen
    Junkogen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I don't know why they haven't changed it. It's the last passive in the alchemy line, but it's completely worthless. They really need to address this issue. It's very long overdue.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can make potions with 3 positive effects.

Regardless of if you negate a negative effect, why would you want a potion with 2 effects instead of 3?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get what everyone is saying but I was sure some combos you are forced to take a negative effect when you put three mats together, which may have 3 common traits for a big boost in that area but an added negative aide effect. So yes clearly I wont want a dual stat potion if I can take a triple positive, but if the only way to take a dual positive mat potion is to take a negative that you can cancel out with snakeblood, then it 'could' be worth it. I.e. Like Some of the more funky potions like anti knock-back. I'll have a play with combos and report back, I thought it was invisible when I was trying to make it a triple strength potion but must be wrong.

Otherwise if its not to help use up mats that aren't getting used or to help with the situation I suggest above whys it there, and ready to burn 3 skill points? Did it ever do anything?

I'll play with alchemy and make some examples when I get a mo!!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember what I wanted to make, a tanking potion. Unstoppable & health boost & health regen. When I tried the combos to get what I wanted I always had a negative aide effect. I'll go on later and re-test and give an example maybe I just didn't pick the all positive combo.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember what I wanted to make, a tanking potion. Unstoppable & health boost & health regen. When I tried the combos to get what I wanted I always had a negative aide effect. I'll go on later and re-test and give an example maybe I just didn't pick the all positive combo.

Columbine + Mountain Flower + Wormwood
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @driosketch ill look later also armour. Can you make a high potent armour combo with no negatives? I was sure there was one for the tank that had to have a negative hence assuming there were more negatives out there in certain combos
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blessed Thistle + Imp stool+ mountain flower should give you just armor increase, cancels out any negatives but gives only one effect.

Imp stool + mountain flower + (any of the health ingredients) will restore health, increase armor, and lower weapon power.

Pretty much only armor and spell resist force a negative on you if you want a that extra effect. For a true tank this would be less of an issue, as would be one damage type needing added protection from the other type. If you want to use this type of potion, snake blood might matter, and even then just barely.

Also the passive might be broken anyways.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks yep that's the combo I meant,
    driosketch wrote: »
    Imp stool + mountain flower + (any of the health ingredients) will restore health, increase armor, and lower weapon power"

That was the only way i saw to boost armour & health but it lowered weapon power, hence me thinking snakeblood would have use in that kind of instance. (and hence assuming there may be other incidents like it) Tho wep power is less important to a pure tank still be nice to not have the negatives.

Anyway thanks all
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What we're saying is, there is always a way to get what you want with get positive effects as additional.

Look it up on the net or experiment.

You can always avoid the negatives.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Brrrofski I guess my counter to that is the example above. Adding armour and health boost. From what I can tell you get a negtive of reduced weopon power. I assumed therefore that that may be the case with other specific combos. (clearly the regular / standard options are all covered)

Its a mute point as I'm the one making the potions, for my guild so its they that would need the passive, and they don't alchemy up. I just wanted to get my head around it.

Maybe I chanced on two combos that are complex, I.e armour and health and invisible & another stat hence my investigation!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are some combos you cannot do.

Honestly though, the main ones you'll make are detect, immovable, increase weapon damage/crit, increase spell damage/crit. They all come with a further two positive effects. Health, magic, stam, crit/power etc.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's mostly useless. It can help if you run out of the good mats and you need to cancel the negative effects.

The armor and spell resist have negative effects, but who uses those? Waste a potion cooldown on resistance? Maybe if it included both and/or had a stat attached. But currently that's not possible.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Curious if anyone uses this? I assume it means you can make mats go further on dual / tri / quad pots by using other ingredients???

I only ever really make Tri Health Pots, magika boosters (spell dam/crit/mag/mag regen) and the equivilent Stam boosters for our tank / physical DPS. oh and occasional invisible / unstoppable for my thief Alt. Anyway I digress. Snake blood. Do you use it?

Seems worthless. I struggle to find things to spend new sp's on but still have not put a single point in snakeblood.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I understand correctly, the passive reduces the DURATION of negative effects, and only for the person who has this passive.

Therefore, it doesn't affect the creation of the potion, so if you created an increase armour/health/decrease weapon power potion, the duration of the weapon power debuff would only be reduced when you, with the passive, drink the potion. Therefore, if you made these for others, they wouldn't see the reduction of the negative effect unless they had this passive.
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Was having this conversation with a friend yesterday...

I've seen potions where there are 2 positive effects and 1 negative in the description, but I'm wondering if you make a potion that has no negative effects in the description, but the reagents used still have a negative effect on them would you still get dinged on it stat-wise to some degree? ( I play on console without any of the helpful addons that would help answer this!)

ETA:
    For example, I make spell power potions with Cornflower, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth and while it doesn't say anything negative, the reagents have Ravage Health, Lower Spell Resistance, and Stun respectively. Would those affect you to any degree without SnakeBlood?

(edited again because: spelling)
    Edited by xerasia on February 16, 2016 5:23PM
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @xerasia to have an effect there has to be a pair the same. I.e. Two ravage magika traits and it will ravage magika. Single traits do nadda.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @xerasia to have an effect there has to be a pair the same. I.e. Two ravage magika traits and it will ravage magika. Single traits do nadda.

Ahhhhhhhhh. I suppose if I would have read a little closer above I would have gathered that! Thanks so much :)
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the clever alchemist set It would be well worth it.

Unless you are either rich enough to keep yourself constantly fully stocked with the best potions around or have amassed/horded an unlimited supply of potion crafting materials.

With the clever alchemist you can drink a straight poison and get a huge DPS bonus great for all those materials you would otherwise delete.