Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestions for a future Argonian Centric update.

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
One of the most egregious oversights of ESO, and even TES as a whole, is the shallow presentation of its beast races. Similar to the Khajiit, the Argonian race has a more complex physiology than any TES game has ever provided.

I have a rather extensive Khajiit-centric update suggested here:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/141710/suggestions-for-an-eventual-khajiit-centric-update/p1

Unlike the Khajiit, however, the Argonians seem to have had a better cultural representation in comparison. To further expand on the Argonians within ESO there should be an Argonian-centric release. That not only expands on the physiology of the Argonians but also their culture. This could accompany the release of a region of Black Marsh and have many of the same race-specific updates that I suggested in the Khajiit update, only for Argonians.

Before we begin, it’s important to understand that the Argonian race is divided into tribes and the sub-species are divided between those tribes, the variations suggested below is based on the capabilities of past TES games more than lore since all playable Argonians seem to be from one specific tribe, which is assumed to be the Archeins.

Character Creation:

The Argonians of Arena and Morrowind differ greatly from the other TES games and I personally believe it would great if ESO embraced that difference and offered options for Argonians to look closer to those in Arena. The major differences are that the Argonians of Morrowind have digitigrade feet and Argonians of Arena have hair, have no tails, and look more humanoid overall.
Argonian_Arena.jpg

The digitigrade legs could be added via a selector switch that should be available for both Khajiit and Argonian. This switch could change the lower-leg type from plantigrade to digitigrade. Argonians with digitigrade legs should have a faster on-land speed than those with plantigrade feet but they shouldn’t be able to wear shoes.
2086.Races_2D00_Argonian_2500_20Bodies.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

The addition of hair could be accomplished with additional hairstyles offered during character creation. No additional systems need to be created. The “hair” of an Argonian should resemble tendrils and be MUCH thicker than hair. (Think the dread-locks of the predator). Multiple tendril styles could be available from short spiky ones to long flowing ones. Different variations could be added for male and female tendril hair.
VlLzU5O.jpg?1

A greater variation for the tail length could be added which would allow players to have short stubby tails, or even no tail at all.

Lastly, the sliders for the Argonian facial features that are currently in ESO are wonderful, but they would benefit from a wider range of variation. Allowing players to produce an Argonian without a snout would go a long way in allowing the type of diversity in Argonians that would make the race a more compelling choice.
latest?cb=20131112055540

With these few options, players would be able to make an Argonian that resembles those that can be found in Arena, Morrowind, or any other TES game.
argonian-timeline-2.png?w=600&h=200

Mounts:

Rootworm: This lore-friendly worm mount could be added, but maybe it should be an Argonian-only mount. I couldn’t see an Altimer crawling inside a worm to go from place to place but… it’s not unheard of. The Rootworm could emerge from the ground and the player would slide inside. As the player moves, the worm lurches forward, if the player “runs” while mounted, the Rootworm could dive into the ground with a disturbance on the ground showing where the player currently is. Since The Rootworm is translucent, players should be able to see themselves inside the worm if they aren’t running. When the player dismounts they should be spat out of the rootworm, no matter if they are underground or not. (If/When first person mount riding is added, the first person view should pull out to third person if the player runs while mounting a Rootworm…. It wouldn’t make much sense for the player to be in first person while underground.)

Wamasu: This ESO creature could easily be seen as a mount for Argonians. These large reptilian beasts could be “broken” with armor that dampens the electrical charge on their back, which would allow them to have a rider.

Pets:

Hist Turtle: This would be a small turtle that has been influenced by the Hist and carries the sentient tree on its back. It’s believed that the Hist tree communicates with the turtle and they share a consciousness and together… they follow you around. Unlike the turtles we know, Tamriel turtles are quite fast (I think this would be the first turtle in Tamriel!)
d68b08b02b990c3524e6b4c205e32960.jpg

Lizard: Same as all the lizards that can be found throughout Tamriel, this one just follows the player around.

Toad: A large toad that hops after the player. Simple enough!

NPCs:

The ONLY Argonian tribe that should be playable is the Archeins tribe, which all playable Argonians likely belong to. The rest of the tribes should be added as different areas of Black Marsh are added to ESO. The reason they should only be NPCs is because most of the other tribes are very xenophobic and do not like those that are not of their tribe. The below NPCs concepts use the Instigation concept I submitted here:http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/146367/instigation-concept-for-justice-system-and-pvp

Paatru: These Argonians are more Toad-Like and will snub anyone that is not Argonian. Players that are not Argonian should able to easily instigate any non-quest giving NPC. Argonian players should have a hard time instigating these NPCs.

Agacephs: This tribe is described as having needle-like faces. They live near the Hist trees. They don’t care for the Archeins. All Argonian players should be able to easily instigate Agaceph NPCs. Non-Argonian players should have a hard time instigating these NPCs. This tribe may have already been seen at quake-con as the cat-fish looking NPCs.

Sarpa: This tribe has been described as being “winged”, VERY Xenophobic. Every player should be able to easily instigate the Sarpa.

Nagas: This Argonian tribe is going to be added with the Murkmire adventure zone. IF Nagas age the cat-fish looking NPCs, all players should have a very hard time instigating them. If they are the large Argonian Behemoths they are more of an enemy than an NPC.

You can read more about the Naga and the Argonian Behemoth in my post here:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/141609/the-upcoming-naga-race/p1

Additional Thoughts:
  • Hist-Sap Motif: According to lore Hist sap can be hardened and fashioned into armor. This would be a cool addition to ESO that could be similar to Glass armor (once that’s released).
  • Feral Argonians: A beast type could be added to ESO to explore the idea of an Argonian that doesn’t lap up the sap from the Hist tree at an early age.
  • Argonians that are deprived of Hist Sap grow up as androgynites (without gender), be very aggressive, and lacks any real intelligence.
  • Argonians that do NOT have tails should NOT have the 50% swimming speed bonus and should swim like men and mer.
  • If underwater content is ever added Argonians should be able to breathe underwater. A suggestion in my Water Overhaul Suggestion post:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/147216/water-overhaul-suggestion-written-prior-to-b2p-announcement

Thoughts?
Edited by Gidorick on February 8, 2016 11:57AM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Approved 100%, though the mounts are a bit much, and the different types of Argonians are meh... Can't play as all 16 types of Khajiit so... Keep it to a minimum. Everything else 100% though.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it. Anything that adds depth to any part of this game is great.
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not going to happene, too much resources, coding, time, etc for something many players do not care about.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @phreatophile. I would love to see both Khajiit and Argonians be 'properly' represented. But @PKMN12 is right. This post was written prior to the B2P announcement. We're in a different landscape now. That why I wrote this post: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/155307/monetization-of-character-creation-concept

So, if advanced character creation is a buyable item and we have the mounts and pets as buyable items, we would have MOST of this concept covered. The NPCs would just be included with DLC.

Edited by Gidorick on March 20, 2015 3:08PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing. Would love to see this. But as Gidorick and others have pointed out, we must now couch it in the sad terms of monetization.

Also, I want Argonians to have a unique swimming animation (ala Morrowind)!
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on March 20, 2015 3:34PM
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Ryuho
    Ryuho
    ✭✭✭✭
    No no no and no.. no special treatment for crocodiles..
    The Farron family team (EU)
    sorcerer - Rubeus Farron AR31
    templar - Selene Farron AR27
    nightblade - Ryuho Farron AR25
    stamplar - Nura Farron AR10
    stamsorcerer - Kitty Farron AR14 (adopted member)
    DK - Ryu Farron AR17

RETIRED

CU - next mmo
  • Naor_Sarethi
    Naor_Sarethi
    ✭✭✭
    I want all the races to get a better individual representation. Yes even the beastfolk. I for one want to see a lot more Dunmer only content and properly done, none of that watered down shallow thing that's going on atm.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dat hist turtle...
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You left out the music.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Trayzard
    Trayzard
    ✭✭✭
    @Gidorick There will be a Adventure Zone in the Argonian region. Murkmire. @1:15:35
    https://youtu.be/1gNVxn80j4g?t=1h15m35s
    Edited by Trayzard on June 27, 2015 2:12PM
  • TheHumanFloyd
    TheHumanFloyd
    ✭✭✭
    I erect the spine of approval!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I erect the spine of approval!

lol. ok. thanks!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt they would go this far with whatever they plan to do. But I can see an Argonian centered mount and pet (along side of the current Ancestor Pet) coming to the game when they launch Murkmire.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt they would go this far with whatever they plan to do. But I can see an Argonian centered mount and pet (along side of the current Ancestor Pet) coming to the game when they launch Murkmire.

This concept was written prior to the buy to play transition (actually posted this shortly after the announcement). So the concept of an "update" was different then. Now, an update is a DLC pack of some sort.

I took some of the ideas of this concept and made the following post:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/155307/monetization-of-character-creation-concept/p1

This one takes some of these ideas and suggests some buyable character creation upgrades.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That mount better be a Wamasu...
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no no no @ThatNeonZebraAgain

ROOTWORM!
    P5QHDe4.jpg?1
    heheh
    Edited by Gidorick on October 10, 2015 5:55PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oh man, Gidorick, I just love your ideas!!

Please ZOS, hire him!! (seriously, no kidding)
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you travel the giant worms of Argonia inside their digestive system? And also underground in water/mud? I am not certain that would be a good mount for the game, though it would be great to see something about that in Murkmire, even if it's just once for a quest.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    Don't you travel the giant worms of Argonia inside their digestive system? And also underground in water/mud? I am not certain that would be a good mount for the game, though it would be great to see something about that in Murkmire, even if it's just once for a quest.

traveling underground would require some pretty much new mechanics (as the devs were talking in the 23/10 ESO LIVE episode about underwater content - the same), but it would be really great. It would give the player a pretty much advance, to be hidden underground while traveling, advance for PVP for example - other players could not see him. It could be maybe limited to certain time, that the worm would have to get up from the ground.

but it would be awesome!!

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heh yea @Recremen. And they're also more a set route like the stilt striders.

We actually discuss it pretty extensively here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/153031/mount-specific-racial-riding-bonuses-concept/p1

But strictly following what we know from the one lore-book... yea, it would be better used as a vehicle during a quest and not a mount.
    altemriel wrote: »
    Recremen wrote: »

traveling underground would require some pretty much new mechanics (as the devs were talking in the 23/10 ESO LIVE episode about underwater content - the same), but it would be really great. It would give the player a pretty much advance, to be hidden underground while traveling, advance for PVP for example - other players could not see him. It could be maybe limited to certain time, that the worm would have to get up from the ground.

but it would be awesome!!

I was thinking more along the lines of there being a "dirt wave" to show where the rootworm is. Kind of like the movie Tremors.
    Edited by Gidorick on October 26, 2015 9:10PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• CavalierPrime
    CavalierPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think corporations are not in a position to adopt ideas as complex as yours, as it opens them up to lawsuits from you if they adopt them. If you post anything more elaborate than "you should add console text chat", and they adopt it, you have a legal claim for compensation.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gid's at it again, teaching us all what creativity truly looks like :)
    Edited by nimander99 on October 26, 2015 9:10PM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think corporations are not in a position to adopt ideas as complex as yours, as it opens them up to lawsuits from you if they adopt them. If you post anything more elaborate than "you should add console text chat", and they adopt it, you have a legal claim for compensation.

There IS one way they could get around that @CavalierPrime. :wink:@altemriel mentioned it. hehe.

But really.. You may be right... I'd be 100% willing to sign a release for any of these concepts.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

There IS one way they could get around that @CavalierPrime. :wink:@altemriel mentioned it. hehe.

But really.. You may be right... I'd be 100% willing to sign a release for any of these concepts.

well, I am not sure what you mean now, that I have mentioned it, but if ZOS would implement some of my ideas - which I freewilingly have posted on their forum, with no copyright mentioned, they have no legal reason not to use it. And I would be very greatful if they do so and would have no reason for suing them, but the oposite - to thank them.
    Edited by altemriel on October 26, 2015 9:21PM
  • Tommy1979AtWar
    Tommy1979AtWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great ideas, it would be nice to see the Argonians shown some love, I really hope Zos take your ideas onboard.
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice for Argonians to get some love.

But we can't get good racials what chance of Argonians getting more content
    Edited by AshTal on October 26, 2015 10:31PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshTal wrote: »

All we need is underwater exploration and a robust poison system and we would have two more natural and wonderful passives for Argonians right there!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow @Gidorick I know I've seen this before, but those tendrils remind me of the predator. I hadn't noticed that before.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow @Gidorick I know I've seen this before, but those tendrils remind me of the predator. I hadn't noticed that before.

hehe Dodgehopper. That pic is actually an addition. Previously I just had a pic of the actual Predator. And those tendrils ARE predator tendrils. Good eye @dodgehopper_ESO !
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    AshTal wrote: »

All we need is underwater exploration and a robust poison system and we would have two more natural and wonderful passives for Argonians right there!

This would really be good. I can even envision a world where we can craft poisons to line our weapons with, or potions/enchantments for breathing underwater. :)
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>