The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Instigation Concept for Justice System and PvP

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
With the new Justice System, I thought of a pretty interesting NPC and Player Instigation mechanic that could add a more dynamic way to enter Duels than many other MMOs.

When a player approaches an NPC or another player, they should be able to press a button (R?) to shove the player and instigate them. The Instigating player could play a ‘shove’ animation and the target would play a ‘shoved’ animation.

NPC Instigation:
All NPCs could have an un-seen instigation meter that could be different for the different races. A player who instigates an NPC into attacking them will NOT receive a bounty for fighting back. A player that is caught instigating an NPC will receive a bounty, but it will be less than if they outright attack them.

Perhaps a Dunmer only needs to shove an Argonian NPC once to instigate that NPC to fight. On the opposite end, a Nord would need to shove another Nord quite a few times (5 or so) to get a Nord NPC to fight.

Player Instigating & Duel:
If a player instigates another player, the instigated player will have the option to either attack or instigate the instigator. NOTE: ALL PLAYERS SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION TO NOT BE INSTIGATED.

The instigated player should have the option to instigate back or to attack. Once a player instigates another player, an Instigation Timer starts. Once the Instigation Timer runs out, the much shorter Attack Timer starts.

The initial instigator can see the timers, but the instigated player cannot. If the second player instigates the first player before the Instigation Timer runs out, they enter a friendly duel that isn’t associated with any ranking system whatsoever. If the second player instigates the player AFTER the Instigation Timer runs out (can be before the Attack Timer runs out) the the second player then receives the Instigation Timer and the chase begins again.

Once the Instigator Timer runs out, a much shorter Attack Timer begins. If a player attacks an instigator within the limit of the Instigation and/or Attack Timers they both enter into a Ranked Duel. The instigated player gets a first attack advantage in these Duels.

Players that only want to play Ranked matches can BLOCK after an instigation which will accomplish 3 things.
  • It will let the instigated player know they want a ranked match
  • It will not allow the instigated player to instigate back (blocking should prevent instigation)
  • It will block the incoming attack from the instigated player.
Ranked matches should have leaderboards and perhaps even certain in-game perks for the highest tier of players.

These mechanics would add an interesting TAG dynamic to player Duels that could be used strategically to give players an advantage in Ranked Duels and can allow players to trick opponents into giving them the first attack.

Again, ALL PLAYERS SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION TO NOT BE INSTIGATED.

Thoughts?

Edited by Gidorick on September 11, 2015 8:57PM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elder Shoving Matches Online. No thanks....
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always welcome well thought out, insightful, and constructive criticism. You have my thanks @dharbert‌ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I miss that mechanic in ES3 where you could insult the person to the point they out right attack you so you can claim self defense.

It would be nice if they had more dialogue options where I can talk like rude jerk to someone to get them to dislike me.

As for the justice system I think they might implement an aggression skill ability and a pacify one like the illusion spells in the ES games.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »
    Yeah I miss that mechanic in ES3 where you could insult the person to the point they out right attack you so you can claim self defense.

It would be nice if they had more dialogue options where I can talk like rude jerk to someone to get them to dislike me.

As for the justice system I think they might implement an aggression skill ability and a pacify one like the illusion spells in the ES games.

That would be great! I gotta say... I don't remember that from Morrowind. It's been a while since I played. :neutral_face:
    Edited by Gidorick on January 17, 2015 5:14AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather have the option to smack an NPC in the face with a fish.

http://youtu.be/xCwLirQS2-o
    Edited by ers101284b14_ESO on January 17, 2015 5:42AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. /fishsmack would be awesome!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG all these things, I feel like the justice and champion system will never be released, seems like we returned one year back waiting for prerelease 30 March
  • CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious
    ✭✭✭✭
    C'mon obvious way to start a fight is to allow players pickpocketing other players. That way v14 equivalents can aggro level 3s fresh off the boat.
    Due to a typo in the system, the area was accosted by the Daedric Prince Moar Lag Brawls.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C'mon obvious way to start a fight is to allow players pickpocketing other players. That way v14 equivalents can aggro level 3s fresh off the boat.

Pickpocketing other players? Interesting concept but people move around too fast for that I would think.
    Edited by Gidorick on January 17, 2015 3:51PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems a bit silly to me, especially since from what we know about the justice system it is not designed to facilitate duelling (although I suppose it may open the option up).

But as long as I don't have to be bothered by the same people that spam skills in banks being given another option to be childish I won't stand in your way.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Ahdora
    Ahdora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Pickpocketing other players? Interesting concept but people move around too fast for that I would think.

I picture so many AFK'ers with empty pockets, heh.
    Heals With Stick, V11 Argonian Nightblade Healer, NA-EP
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need to steal all the sweetrolls....
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahdora wrote: »
    Gidorick wrote: »

I picture so many AFK'ers with empty pockets, heh.

I picture a lot of people rage quitting because someone just stole all their money or their hard earned trials set!
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Fi'yra
    Fi'yra
    ✭✭✭
    I like this idea, I really like this idea.
    I'd love to see something like this implemented, but rather than just shoving, I doubt that would make NPC's want to fight back.

Maybe have a leveling system for each town -
    Shows what your bounty level is for that town/city and if your level is higher, you're targeted with one instigation,
    but if your level is low, your instigation takes a lot more than just 1 repeat.
    AD - PC/EU
    Get Wrobled
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as getting instagated doesn't kick me off the crafting bench, I'm all for it.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as getting instagated doesn't kick me off the crafting bench, I'm all for it.

lol. that would be annoying. I'd imagine instigation could only occur if the player was not otherwise engaged.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.