The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

DPS Meters - Yes or No?

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    @Didgerion - How does Group Damage decrease performance?

Providing you have a 50vs50 fight.

If everyone from one group is poping dps damage then there are 2500 damaging hits per sec(prior AOE caps)

And you are receiving this amount of information....and other 49 players should receive it.
    So the server has to send 125000 damage records to a team.....but there is the enemy team as well and they will receive 125000 records per second as well providing all spam aoe abilities too.....
    So if you believe that 250000 outgoing records per second is not affecting the performance then you know nothing of how computers work.
    Edited by Didgerion on January 24, 2016 7:43PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

If everyone from one group is poping dps damage then there are 2500 damaging hits per sec(prior AOE caps)

And you are receiving this amount of information....and other 49 players should receive it.
    So the server has to send 125000 damage records to a team.....but there is the enemy team as well and they will receive 125000 records per second as well providing all spam aoe abilities too.....
    So if you believe that 250000 outgoing records per second is not affecting the performance then you know nothing of how computers work.

I use Group Damage religiously in PvP including huge battles. My performance is no worse than it is without it. The thing you have to understand is that this data is there, regardless of whether the addon is able to see it or not. The only thing that changed is that the API guys f***ed up and left it visible to addons, but the data is going to be there regardless.

The addon isn't generating the data. It is simply reading it.

EDIT: This guy created the perfect thread for you~~~> http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/242972/why-are-you-people-so-afraid#latest
    Edited by timidobserver on January 24, 2016 7:54PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Bluepitbull13
    Bluepitbull13
    ✭✭✭✭

Lag has plagued Cyrodiil for how long 1-1.5 years? 2 years? something like that, groupdamage addon has only been out 1 month and probably popularized the last 2 weeks. ZoS has made numerous statements prior of that addons existence about improving the performance in Cyrodiil and even put caps to limit many players per faction that can jump on a particular campaign and now you're saying all along this 1 month old addon was to blame?
    Edited by Bluepitbull13 on January 24, 2016 7:56PM
    PC-NA
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Group Damage religiously in PvP including huge battles. My performance is no worse than it is without it. The thing you have to understand is that this data is there, regardless of whether the addon is able to see it or not. The only thing that changed is that the API guys f***ed up and left it visible to addons, but the data is going to be there regardless.

EDIT: This guy created the perfect thread for you~~~> http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/242972/why-are-you-people-so-afraid#latest

The thing is that the game server is always sending the group dps information to the game client even if you choose not to display it. Now they will stop that flux of data and you will louse the possibility to display it from there on.

So they are not nerfing addons directly....they just will send less info to the client and that will affect addons.
    Edited by Didgerion on January 24, 2016 8:08PM
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lag has plagued Cyrodiil for how long 1-1.5 years? 2 years? something like that, groupdamage addon has only been out 1 month and probably popularized the last 2 weeks. ZoS has made numerous statements prior of that addons existence about improving the performance in Cyrodiil and even put caps to limit many players per faction that can jump on a particular campaign and now you're saying all along this 1 month old addon was to blame?

You don't understand the server-client infrastructure. It is not the addon that creates lag.
    Here are some factors that creates lag:
    - There are too many operations per second to perform by the server when calculating aoe damage aoe heals randomly proc-ed abilities etc.
    - Sending all this data in plain DPS text to the client
    - Other factors beyond my comprehension.

So they just try to ameliorate the lag by cutting down the text server sends. And if it helps then I'll be a happy person ...and I will nicely answer to anyone my DPS number.
    Edited by Didgerion on January 24, 2016 8:33PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The thing is that the game server is always sending the group dps information to the game client even if you choose not to display it. Now they will stop that flux of data and you will louse the possibility to display it from there on.

So they are not nerfing addons directly....they just will send less info to the client and that will affect addons.

This is false. The data is still being sent. The only thing they are doing is making it so that addons cannot distinguish the source of any damage not from the player. That same data is going to be in the same place after the nerf. They are simply removing the source ID.
    Edited by timidobserver on January 24, 2016 9:43PM

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is false. The data is still being sent. The only thing they are doing is making it so that addons cannot distinguish the source of any damage not from the player. That same data is going to be in the same place after the nerf. They are simply removing the source ID.

I might be wrong ...but in case I'm wrong then I cannot find any logical explanation why they are doing it.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be wrong ...but in case I'm wrong then I cannot find any logical explanation why they are doing it.

Because some people have been justly and unjustly removed from groups and have been harrassed for doing dps that is too low. And ZOS's official response was that it was because of that(not wanting people to be discriminated against).
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They are doing it because people that don't want other people to be able to gauge their performance complained.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2623853#Comment_2623853

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are doing it because people that don't want other people to be able to gauge their performance complained.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2623853#Comment_2623853

I hope that they will cut all the data related to other persons dps..at least that could lead to something good.
    Edited by Didgerion on January 25, 2016 12:53AM
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All combat related numbers and maths and *** should be embedded in the default UI. Put options to turn off floating numbers and other crap if person wants immersion. All group members numbers should be displayed and able to inspect the hell out of everyone knickers. Also a strong ban on people that get reported for harassing others.
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO DPS meters should have been part of the UI for forming a group. I think whoever is starting a group should be able to click an option that enables viewing group DPS and vice versa.

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DPS meters should be allowed, but our DPS shouldn't be visible to other players without our permission.
  • Xexpo
    Xexpo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This poll seems to creating a debate where there is not one.
    Kiki Dickson ~~~ Dixmanian Devil ~~~ Cornelius Buckshank Jr.
    Histy-Fitz ~~~ Boozemer ~~~ Chace X'expo
    Lluvia De'Fuego ~~~ Shakes Spear
    Macro and Cheese NA/PC
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaer426 wrote: »

Except there's a 23-page thread that says there is a debate, and a hotly contested one at that.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Xexpo
    Xexpo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except there's a 23-page thread that says there is a debate, and a hotly contested one at that.

Except that isn't about DPS meters... GF
    Kiki Dickson ~~~ Dixmanian Devil ~~~ Cornelius Buckshank Jr.
    Histy-Fitz ~~~ Boozemer ~~~ Chace X'expo
    Lluvia De'Fuego ~~~ Shakes Spear
    Macro and Cheese NA/PC
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that isn't about DPS meters... GF

Sure, half of it's mindless trolling or off-topic debate. That's still 10 or so pages of debate. However, this small poll has shown that out of 88 people, 4 don't care 24 don't want DPS add-ons allowed while 60 do.

• Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    Too many poll options imo.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignotus wrote: »
    Too many poll options imo.

As mentioned before, it was to see not only where people stood but why. At the end of the day, there are 3 choices - yes, no, or undecided.

• omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fyi they are apparently ninja closing threads on this topic without explanation.

Yes, they have closed 2 of my threads that came close to this topic:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/243177/spy-addon-master-merchant#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/243207/consistency-of-moderation#latest

He's the healer Tamriel deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hurt his tank. Because he can heal them to full. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful rejuvinator. A Cloaked Healer.

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA
    Ticktick-Argonian Nightblade Healer/Magicka DPS
    Tinytick- Imperial DK Tank
    Wuches Y'Shaur- V16 High Elf Sorc Magicka DPS
    Ticktator- Dunmer DK Magicka DPS
    Tick Head- Dark Elf Magicka NB DPS

GM:
    Mercs Of Sovngarde (EP/NA): AA (HM), HRC (HM), VSO (HM), VDSA, VMSA complete
    Vet Maw 4/5

• Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should be allowed.
    If you want to use them to better your performance, I see no reason to take you away from it.
    But for anyone besides you? Only if you have their permission.