Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anyone remember old school ESO?

• Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @IrishGirlGamer wait they nuked the Frog Quest???????????????? :O (it did take like forever to get it to unbug though)

I didn't know if they nuked them, but they actually took one out (the one where you had to catch different colored frogs). I don't know if it's made it back yet.

There was another quest that was up the first couple of days, in Vulkhel Guard that involved some debtors or gamblers or something. It disappeared shortly after the game launched.

Oh, yeh yeh I remember that one. You had to go around and collect from a few different npcs.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »
    I remember in the first month of release, the Final Assault, the final quest of the Coldharbour zone main storyline, there was a part you had to light torches that were hanging around a large chasm place, to open a door, but one of the torches was so far away that the game bugged and wouldn't show the activator to light it. People would strip down and jump over these platforms to get speed and try and jump as far as they can toward the torch, to try and light it before they'd die and respawn, for some people it was easy, for others, well, there were dozens of people there for hours from what I saw, but I'd heard it was going on for much longer.

After many suicidal jumps I finally managed to light the torch, only to find out that the next part of the quest was also bugged and wouldn't start - probably due to the other 30 or so people standing around Gabrielle Benele making the scripts mess up or something. At that point I just logged and waited until tomorrow and it had apparently been fixed by then.

You left out the best part. That we took all our gear off so it wouldn't be degraded by the fall damage. Just a room full of players at that bottleneck in the game, naked and jumping all over. Like some weird suicidal ***. I blame Sanguine.

EDIT: Well, *** is apparently on the filter, so, well, think of a four letter word for group of excited naked people all having a good time with each other.
    Edited by tinythinker on January 22, 2016 8:00PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • kenpachi480
    kenpachi480
    ✭✭✭
    I know a certain person who kills and owns and is even feared by alot in pvp could not even beat Aelif final form in fightersguild quest line as v3,. he went back on v12 while being *** drunk

good ole times,.

bringing scrolls back with 700 people,. i still got the pictures
    Pain and Dead are the cost to the enjoyment of Battle

Captain Otter Wildwater - DK - V12 - EP
    GoS Vassal - Templar - V16 - EP
    Captain Izanagi Tsukiko - Sorc - still lvling - EP

Best selfclaimed Healer of Ebonheart Pact NA
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »
    @IrishGirlGamer wait they nuked the Frog Quest???????????????? :O (it did take like forever to get it to unbug though)

I didn't know if they nuked them, but they actually took one out (the one where you had to catch different colored frogs). I don't know if it's made it back yet.

There was another quest that was up the first couple of days, in Vulkhel Guard that involved some debtors or gamblers or something. It disappeared shortly after the game launched.

Oh, yeh yeh I remember that one. You had to go around and collect from a few different npcs.
    Yes, and the last we heard about it was in Patch Notes 1.01, released on April 2, 2014:

Quests
    Auridon
    • In the name of the Queen: Fixed an issue in the quest where the priestesses at the Northern and Western ritual sites would occasionally get stuck in a kneeling pose, blocking your progress.
    • New in Town: Malareth has been run out of Vulkhel Guard for the time being, but she vows to return at a later date. Those of you on this quest are advised to abandon the quest until she returns. Not completing this quest will not impact any achievements.

"Malareth has been run out of Vulkhel Guard for the time being, but she vows to return at a later date."

How much later :tongue:

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    Any long-time players remember any cool or very different stuff from Beta or early ESO? Or just what it was like?
    Reading some of the recent complaints just reminded me of how different the game used to be.

I remember when vet levels were so slow, you'd do a delve and turn in two quests and the bar didn't move.

I also remember when levels 1-20 were hard. Took me 10 tries to get past Doshia. And I almost quit over the Lyris Doppleganger in the Halls of Torment.

Yup, and you can still find the old "How do I win this" threads about Doshia and Lyris Doppleganger here on the forums, as well as how-to and bragging videos on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwQY57gVAb8

Check out the old ability icons and the truly mixed/hybrid bar. You can also see the old feast orb animations and how much they used to heal a harvester. Put that healing back in today for a new DLC and watch the forums go nuts.

I also recall if you were EP that people were looking to group to take on Balreth.

The last boss in the rift too, i forget his name but its the big giant, i think when i did it the first time there was like 20 people there lol.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghost-Shot wrote: »
    Any long-time players remember any cool or very different stuff from Beta or early ESO? Or just what it was like?
    Reading some of the recent complaints just reminded me of how different the game used to be.

I remember when vet levels were so slow, you'd do a delve and turn in two quests and the bar didn't move.

I also remember when levels 1-20 were hard. Took me 10 tries to get past Doshia. And I almost quit over the Lyris Doppleganger in the Halls of Torment.

Yup, and you can still find the old "How do I win this" threads about Doshia and Lyris Doppleganger here on the forums, as well as how-to and bragging videos on YouTube...

Check out the old ability icons and the truly mixed/hybrid bar. You can also see the old feast orb animations and how much they used to heal a harvester. Put that healing back in today for a new DLC and watch the forums go nuts.

I also recall if you were EP that people were looking to group to take on Balreth.

The last boss in the rift too, i forget his name but its the big giant, i think when i did it the first time there was like 20 people there lol.
    That is Sinmur.

And in the previous zone many people had trouble with Fildgore Orcthane, but that was a solo instance like Doshia and the Lyris imitator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psKIYl_L5Jg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpyarUOx1PY
    Edited by tinythinker on January 22, 2016 8:08PM

• Haulinash
    Haulinash
    ✭✭✭
    The bots... and those freakin' mails from GOLDAU... may they die a thousand painful deaths. Remember going into a delve in Auridon and getting to the boss and there were so many bots and previous boss corpses that you couldn't even see the boss when they respawned. Thanks for getting rid of that crap.
    Thank the stars! I wasn't sure I'd find anyone else out here. Please, I ne- STAB! STAB! STABSTABSTABSTABSTAB!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haulinash wrote: »
    The bots... and those freakin' mails from GOLDAU... may they die a thousand painful deaths. Remember going into a delve in Auridon and getting to the boss and there were so many bots and previous boss corpses that you couldn't even see the boss when they respawned. Thanks for getting rid of that crap.

Templar Bots of DOOOOOOOOM...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVi2xi-XKzQ

Not to be outdone by -- Argonian Archer Bots of EXTRA WEIRD DOOOOOOOM...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYOGHl1qfs

As for message/mail spammers, I think I might still have a bunch of accounts on ignore if any of them weren't deleted.
    Edited by tinythinker on January 22, 2016 8:16PM

• Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ghost-Shot wrote: »

That is Sinmur.

And in the previous zone many people had trouble with Fildgore Orcthane, but that was a solo instance like Doshia and the Lyris imitator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psKIYl_L5Jg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpyarUOx1PY

I forgot about Fildgor! I was convinced he was unkillable lol.
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when sorcerers were considered one of the strongest classes and I had to buy my horses on each individual character. Back when numbers were smaller and forward camps were a thing. Back when there were weapons to choose from in Cold Harbor and I died no less than 6 times at the first boss because I was a nightblade noob.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When that talking tree sounded like a 7 year old boy. AH the humanity. It was awful.

Enjoy the placeholder voice actor ^^...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnW4CAgKAP4
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on January 22, 2016 10:15PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Malareth has been run out of Vulkhel Guard for the time being, but she vows to return at a later date."

Soon
  • Kryank
    Kryank
    ✭✭✭
    The library with the impossible to light Coldharbour braziers, where everyone in the room had taken their clothes off to avoid repairs.

Haha this ^^

Also shadow fen still makes me twitch, I spent days trying to get the quest achievement there running round trying to find the last ones but they were bugged.

Templar bots in every delve.

My NB had no working skills,

When everyone had a pet monkey

Entering the VR1 zone and getting almost 1shot by pve mobs.

The donk, donk sound track of every fight in cyrodiil.
    'I am not entering into a battle of wits with a man who is clearly unarmed'
    Follow My Twitch Channel Or Youtube Channel
    Sneaky Kryank DC NB
    Psyreni DC Sorc
    Kryank Of The Flame. DC Temp
    Kryank Smash DC DK
  • krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When that talking tree sounded like a 7 year old boy. AH the humanity. It was awful.

Enjoy the placeholder voice actor ^^...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnW4CAgKAP4
    OMG I remember that. I was so pleased when they found a voice actor that could actually pull off an "ancient old tree" voice.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bCWvlsA.jpg?1

:lol:
    Edited by Gidorick on January 22, 2016 11:16PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beating old Doshia gave me about the same feeling of satisfaction as when I first completed vMSA.
    Gave up.
  • krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Z4Olt2F.jpg?1

It was probably cooler back then compared to now.
  • Padhraigh
    Padhraigh
    ✭✭✭
    Kryank wrote: »

Also shadow fen still makes me twitch, I spent days trying to get the quest achievement there running round trying to find the last ones but they were bugged.

Templar bots in every delve.

My NB had no working skills,

When everyone had a pet monkey

Entering the VR1 zone and getting almost 1shot by pve mobs.

The donk, donk sound track of every fight in cyrodiil.

Shared your NB pains in VR zones... especially being stam dw/bow. Ended up just cloaking past everything in dungeons and then beating my face against dungeon bosses time and time again.

I also remember several zones having quest achievement issues such as Shadowfen.

Bangkorai was one, I think? It had a handful of quests that had been scrapped before launch or something, but the achievement wasn't updated to reflect it. There was some thorough grid-searching going on in that damn zone for quite a while, at least for EP as a vet zone.

I (think) I remember queing for log on during early access, but that may have been during the last betas?

I remember my alt deconning items my main had crafted for some fine crafting xp. That one I really miss.

I remember getting 5 (?) extra sub days because the game had melted.

Edited by Padhraigh on January 22, 2016 11:20PM
    PC - EU - EP
    Relic Hunter
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krim wrote: »
    Gidorick wrote: »
    bCWvlsA.jpg?1

It was probably cooler back then compared to now.

Fixed @Krim. :wink:
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    The library with the impossible to light Coldharbour braziers, where everyone in the room had taken their clothes off to avoid repairs.

Jump shot deaths ftw!

What about beta farming delve bosses for rubies to sell?
    Edited by TotterTates on January 22, 2016 11:34PM
    Cuppincakes
    • Imperial Dragonknight (Tank)
    • Pre-TG vMA Score: 459,636 [55:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    • Post-TG vMA Score: 537,328 [53:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    • Dunmer Dragonknight (Healer/DPS)
    Church
    • Argonian Templar (Healer)
    Moon Moon
    • Khajiit Nightblade (DPS)

My Twitch Channel: TotterTanks
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »

Yes, and the last we heard about it was in Patch Notes 1.01, released on April 2, 2014:

Quests
    Auridon
    • In the name of the Queen: Fixed an issue in the quest where the priestesses at the Northern and Western ritual sites would occasionally get stuck in a kneeling pose, blocking your progress.
    • New in Town: Malareth has been run out of Vulkhel Guard for the time being, but she vows to return at a later date. Those of you on this quest are advised to abandon the quest until she returns. Not completing this quest will not impact any achievements.

It would be fun - and a great Easter Egg - if the Malareth returned and referenced having been run out of Vulkhel Guard. Maybe in Reaper's March?

Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • Gelston
    Gelston
    ✭✭✭
    SadieJoan wrote: »
    I remember when there were hordes of people waiting for bosses in caves to spawn, and as soon as it would appear, everyone would freak out and charge in as fast as they possibly could to try and get a hit in :smile: Also Brackenleaf used to be super camp :lol: I wish they hadn't changed his voice, his old one was so funny :smiley:

Those were called Bots. I hated Templars for a long time after that, because of the mass aedric spear spam they did when the boss would appear.
  • NateAssassin
    NateAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember not being to finish quests that had a boss you had to kill, and a party of 30+ people sat there waiting for them to spawn?
    AD | Malaya the Mystic ─ VR16 Khajiit Sorc | Shal'ina the Swift ─ VR16 Khajiit NB | Jòhn Cena ─ VR1 Khajiit NB | Priestess Shaari ─ VR1 Temp
  • Gelston
    Gelston
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember not being to finish quests that had a boss you had to kill, and a party of 30+ people sat there waiting for them to spawn?

I remember in Coldharbour, that one quest that you had to kill skeletons or whatever for that "Game"... Yeah, it was ahrd as hell because there was a train of about 10 bots running in circles slaughtering everything for days.
  • Reedx
    Reedx
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember me and fiften others waited over half a hour for a World boss just to find out that the WB was broken hahah new players will never know the struggle... xD
    Maker of Drama & Lover of Roleplay
  • vyrusb23
    vyrusb23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the grouping/teaming mechanics were the worst I'd ever seen in an MMO. You were literally forced to solo multiple quests while in a goup.

It was only after they fixed grouping/teaming that I came back.

Now I'm loving it!
    Edited by vyrusb23 on January 23, 2016 12:38AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The Zone 1 quests have changed somewhat. For example, in Davon's Watch, there was a lot more to the battle for the city, it's been streamlined. The Wailing Prison used to be much less than it is now. The first city in Grahtwood had no walls so you could ride from the Wayshrine all the way through town and out again and never get off your horse.

And, Molag Bal, he used to be something to be feared. It was a tough fight. Now, you just have to show up.

Most of the changes are for the better, some are questionable.

I was just back in Grahtwood at that town for the first time in months (April 2014). I thought those walls were new, but I figured I was mistaken.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    game is like 2 yrs old and already have an old school thread.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What made Doshia hard for me wasnt the fact that she was all that difficult but that in the EP shes in this small little chamber. And when she'd pop that life leeching ability you wouldnt have the time to get to all the orbs before they converged on her. So the end result was this prolonged fight where she'd sap you of health, youd get maybe one or two orbs and then the other two would heal her back to almost full or full health. Eventually she'd work you down as there really wasnt much of a response to that ability as long as she stood in the corner area the way you found her.

I was eventually able to figure out how to get her to come chase after you but my first class was Melee so the instinct there isnt to give her distance but to take that away from her. At the time I didnt know that she'd rush you if you fell back.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax