The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Anyone remember old school ESO?

• Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    When that talking tree sounded like a 7 year old boy. AH the humanity. It was awful.
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when world bosses, dolmens and group dungeons were NOT solo-able content.

The world bosses in Wrothgar are a refreshing return. I'd hope that they reconfigure all the original bosses but that is prolly a big ask of ZOS.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When starting zone mud crabs were to be feared!

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Old school on a game not even 2 years old?;)

Yes, the game has changed a lot since then.

Hidden daggers in Vet zones for half your health anyone?

Here, just in case you don't know what a Forward Camp looks like or how a DK Vamp used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlp4gz4kvKk
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    Any long-time players remember any cool or very different stuff from Beta or early ESO? Or just what it was like?
    Reading some of the recent complaints just reminded me of how different the game used to be.

I remember when vet levels were so slow, you'd do a delve and turn in two quests and the bar didn't move.

I also remember when levels 1-20 were hard. Took me 10 tries to get past Doshia. And I almost quit over the Lyris Doppleganger in the Halls of Torment.

I miss those days less lag, ground oils, magicka DKs could fight, PvE was actually fun.......where have the good ol days gone :'(
    Edited by imredneckson on January 22, 2016 5:10PM
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game isn't old enough to be old school...I caught what you're pitching though.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When the Wyrd quest NPCs talked in German .......... on the English version.

That always made me smile!! :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »
    When the Wyrd quest NPCs talked in German .......... on the English version.

That always made me smile!! :)

Yes and in Arx Corinium, too lol
    It seemed kind of appropriate actually, but thankfully the text dialog was in english.
    Edited by Xendyn on January 22, 2016 5:20PM
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Gelston
    Gelston
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Coldharbour was bugged to hell at the portals you had to close. There were tons of us just sitting around there hoping it would magically work. We'd have people yelling "STAND OUTSIDE THE TEMPLE!" and rumors like that. Then one day, after a server reboot, they worked for about 10 minutes. It was so amazing, closing the first one and then seeing so many horses riding quickly to the second one. I've never seen that many cavalry before or ever again.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tomg999 wrote: »
    Any long-time players remember any cool or very different stuff from Beta or early ESO? Or just what it was like?
    Reading some of the recent complaints just reminded me of how different the game used to be.

I remember when vet levels were so slow, you'd do a delve and turn in two quests and the bar didn't move.

I also remember when levels 1-20 were hard. Took me 10 tries to get past Doshia. And I almost quit over the Lyris Doppleganger in the Halls of Torment.

Yup, and you can still find the old "How do I win this" threads about Doshia and Lyris Doppleganger here on the forums, as well as how-to and bragging videos on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwQY57gVAb8

Check out the old ability icons and the truly mixed/hybrid bar. You can also see the old feast orb animations and how much they used to heal a harvester. Put that healing back in today for a new DLC and watch the forums go nuts.

I also recall if you were EP that people were looking to group to take on Balreth.

OMG! Doshia was the worst,i think. I so dreaded her.Until I found out that if I shot out the orbs her life would ebb out so I could kill her.Still,it wasnt easy by any means!
    Now it's a cake walk.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When starting zone mud crabs were to be feared!

Or when a pack of v10 mudcrabs was like and endgame boss.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And it took forever to get to Level 50,then forever more to go beyond that.
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some things I remember:

1. Everyone complaining about DKs being OP.
    2. Nightblade passives not working.
    3. Deer in Cyrodiil.
    4. When you got to choose a weapon in the Wailing Prison.
    5. Having a conversation with Er-Jaseen.
    6. Frog quests. Need I say more?
    7. The day Doshia got nerfed (and how mad some people were).
    8. People complaining about Vet Levels (wait ...)
    9. Not being able to complete a quest in Glenumbra because bots kept killing the mobs.
    10. Gold spammers.

Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh and waiting for Foulwing to spawn on her grassy hilltop..........

Except there was no room for her because the hill was just rammed with other players also waiting. :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IrishGirlGamer wait they nuked the Frog Quest???????????????? :O (it did take like forever to get it to unbug though)
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a good thread.Thanks,OP.
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beta player.

Not much of the core game has changed even though people keep saying it. They just want to think so.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlackEar wrote: »
    Beta player.

Not much of the core game has changed even though people keep saying it. They just want to think so.

Most of us on this thread are either beta players or pre-ordered players.I too am a beta player. :}
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that didn't see them there, I posted all of the Beta and PO patch notes Here

Edit: for those that wanted to scroll Stroll down memory lane :)
    Edited by Casdha on January 22, 2016 5:39PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    The library with the impossible to light Coldharbour braziers, where everyone in the room had taken their clothes off to avoid repairs.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember when there were hordes of people waiting for bosses in caves to spawn, and as soon as it would appear, everyone would freak out and charge in as fast as they possibly could to try and get a hit in :smile: Also Brackenleaf used to be super camp :lol: I wish they hadn't changed his voice, his old one was so funny :smiley:
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on January 22, 2016 5:48PM
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I killed Doshia in beta.

It took an hour.

She was invisible.

I had no idea what was happening.

My hands were literally trembling during the bug/feedback reports. "Is Doshia supposed to be invisible?" followed by "For the love of god DO NOT make Doshia invisible for launch"

Then I mentally recovered by sitting on a hill in Cyrodiil watching 50 siege weapons wreck a keep. A bit laggy. But good times...
    signing off
  • Arthur_Spoonfondle
    Arthur_Spoonfondle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played ESO during the beta and then for about 6 months from launch, then stopped but, have kept an eye on what's happening and played a little from time to time, although not for several months now.

I find the talk of nerfs, in the first few postings, very disappointing, makes it less likely I will ever come back. I stopped playing primarily because I was fed-up with waiting for the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, that should have been present from the start.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about End of Test messages, parties, and watermarked screenshots?

Endbeta.png
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember in the first month of release, the Final Assault, the final quest of the Coldharbour zone main storyline, there was a part you had to light torches that were hanging around a large chasm place, to open a door, but one of the torches was so far away that the game bugged and wouldn't show the activator to light it. People would strip down and jump over these platforms to get speed and try and jump as far as they can toward the torch, to try and light it before they'd die and respawn, for some people it was easy, for others, well, there were dozens of people there for hours from what I saw, but I'd heard it was going on for much longer.

After many suicidal jumps I finally managed to light the torch, only to find out that the next part of the quest was also bugged and wouldn't start - probably due to the other 30 or so people standing around Gabrielle Benele making the scripts mess up or something. At that point I just logged and waited until tomorrow and it had apparently been fixed by then.
  • KhaN_BE
    KhaN_BE
    ✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »
    Oh and waiting for Foulwing to spawn on her grassy hilltop..........

Except there was no room for her because the hill was just rammed with other players also waiting. :)

I remember that. Used to do that too, until I found that logging off, waiting for 30 seconds and logging back in brought you to another server where you had her all to yourself :smile:
    Edited by KhaN_BE on January 22, 2016 7:00PM
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    SadieJoan wrote: »
    I remember when there were hordes of people waiting for bosses in caves to spawn, and as soon as it would appear, everyone would freak out and charge in as fast as they possibly could to try and get a hit in :smile: Also Brackenleaf used to be super camp :lol: I wish they hadn't changed his voice, his old one was so funny :smiley:

Oh yeah, standing in the crowd in a delve waiting for the boss to spawn, then just praying I got a hit in....
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I miss softcaps. There were actual differing builds between players
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Baconfat79
    Baconfat79
    ✭✭✭✭
    The scorpion grind in Craglorn was pretty hilarious. 25 people all crowded onto the top of that stupid rock, with a mountain of dead scorpion corpses all around them.
  • IrishGirlGamer
    IrishGirlGamer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IrishGirlGamer wait they nuked the Frog Quest???????????????? :O (it did take like forever to get it to unbug though)

I didn't know if they nuked them, but they actually took one out (the one where you had to catch different colored frogs). I don't know if it's made it back yet.

There was another quest that was up the first couple of days, in Vulkhel Guard that involved some debtors or gamblers or something. It disappeared shortly after the game launched.

Valar Morghulis.

Someday I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull. Arya Stark

You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well. Sansa Stark

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Desmond Tutu