Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Phishing Scams

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Recently, there has been an increase in email phishing scams that are attempting to trick our players into revealing their account info. Below are a few tips to help keep your account details and personal info safe:

You should never log in with your account details for The Elder Scrolls Online on any website other than https://account.elderscrollsonline.com, which can also be reached at http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/. If you’re ever unsure about a URL that you get in an email, we recommend you type it out manually in your browser to avoid hidden links. We will never send you to any other website to maintain your account.

Please note: We will also only contact you from the following e-mail addresses:
  • ESO_Help@elderscrollsonline.com
  • ESO_Help@helpmail.elderscrollsonline.com
  • noreply@mail.elderscrollsonline.com

Please ensure that these e-mail addresses are listed as the sender's actual e-mail address and not just their e-mail name.

We will never ask for your ESO password (or any other password) under any circumstances. If you receive an e-mail in which you notice any of these issues, please don’t click on any of the links or submit any information—report the email to us immediately via our Support Portal.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Brabok
    Brabok
    ✭✭✭
    this should be a sticky!
    Never argue with Idiots
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
  • xPuppetx
    xPuppetx
    ✭✭
    Brabok wrote: »
    this should be a sticky!

I agree.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It needs to be completely accurate first, at the moment it isn't and if someone follows the advice they may lose some mail with important information.

I've had news such as "5 Days of Complimentary Elder Scrolls Online Game Time. Learn More" which was sent from:

email@mailer.elderscrollsonline.com

I've had several e-mails from that address and they use:

community@elderscrollsonline.com

for mails from the forums. Obviosuly anyone who understands e-mail addresses .. which frankly should be everyone .. realises anything from

.elderscrollsonline.com

is 'legit' (as long as the link isn't faked) but someone who doesn't know how addresses are constructed needs a complete list.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 20, 2014 10:07AM
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also emails can be spoofed. If somebody from Zenimax wants to PM me their work email, I will send them an email from Matt Firor. The 'from' field in an email isn't usable as a phishing indicator as it isn't checked.
  • Famulus
    Famulus
    Soul Shriven
    just received what i beleive is phishing email

ela2jkcjlkp4.jpg
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Famulus wrote: »
    just received what i beleive is phishing email

ela2jkcjlkp4.jpg

Yea most likely.

One surefire way to find out whether it is a phishing email is this: hover your mouse pointer over the link in the email. Do not click. On the bottom of your mail client window, you should see (in the status bar) the actual address the link points to.

Fake mails have a difference there (for instance in the mail the link shows as 'accounts.elderscrollsonline.com', but hovering the mouse reveals the link actually points to 'www.phishingsite.com')

(another giveaway is the bad english :p)
    Edited by Sharee on June 21, 2014 9:56AM
  • Yam_of_the_Center
    Yam_of_the_Center
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely phishing, Famulus, and not even a "most likely" about it, Sharee, hahhaha, there's no doubt. As you observed, that writing is terrible. It's not the worst counterfeit I've seen, but it's definitely intended to be written in a certain official/formal sort of voice and instead comes off as strange and stilted.
    • "We have already noted..." - 'already'?
    • "...your personal Elder Scrolls Online." - uhh...
    • "If you wish not to get your account suspended..." - 'If you wish not to' and the use of the word 'get'.
    • "Please be aware that if unauthorized access to this account..." - Yes, we shall certainly keep in mind that 'if unauthorized access'.
    ...and those are just the most glaring parts.

Sharee gives good advice about inspecting the link without clicking it, and I hope you didn't actually click it, Famulus!
    He will bring life to the dead, hope to the living, and for him the Gate will open.
    The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the finest Elder Scrolls resource around!
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to only involved emails that say the account has been put up for sale. I would always call CS if stuff like this happens
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    I really wonder what these Phishing-*** even want with the pretty fresh ESO Accounts, nothing of real worth there, even someone with a million in Gold just has farmed a net worth of 100€, not that much. If I compare that with the 2 million Gold I have on my wow account, that would be a much bigger trophy.
  • Firestar1992
    Firestar1992
    ✭✭
    I really wonder what these Phishing-*** even want with the pretty fresh ESO Accounts, nothing of real worth there, even someone with a million in Gold just has farmed a net worth of 100€, not that much. If I compare that with the 2 million Gold I have on my wow account, that would be a much bigger trophy.

They'll still try wherever they can, because I'm sure there are people who can be tricked into giving out the account info. And if the hacked accounts stack up enough, they can make a pretty lump sum before they get caught. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also going for some WoW at the same time.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They'll still try wherever they can, because I'm sure there are people who can be tricked into giving out the account info. And if the hacked accounts stack up enough, they can make a pretty lump sum before they get caught. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also going for some WoW at the same time.

Oh, they do. I get phishing mails from 'blizzard' all the time accusing me of gold selling - I've never played WoW, never will. I don't even have an account with them. I don't even LIKE the whole gold-selling, botting, cheating rubbish! I get one of these ever month or so - goes straight in the bin. :)

Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • BTOG46
    BTOG46
    ✭✭
    I got one of these mails today, the ip is in China, and the email address it was sent from is one that's been used for phishing for account details for other MMO's for the past few years.
  • cail.bub17_ESO
    cail.bub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I used to get this same phishing scam from "Blizzard". For almost 10 years the same subject lines that I was attempting to sell my account. I never had to open a single email because I had never played a Blizzard game and that was good enough reason for me to not start.
    They finally stopped sending the scam notices, I'm guessing because they left WOW and started the influx of bots here.
  • rayvn03b14_ESO
    rayvn03b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »

Oh, they do. I get phishing mails from 'blizzard' all the time accusing me of gold selling - I've never played WoW, never will. I don't even have an account with them. I don't even LIKE the whole gold-selling, botting, cheating rubbish! I get one of these ever month or so - goes straight in the bin. :)

Hey, Slof! Good to see you around. I do play WoW and have since 2008, and I get these... all... the bloody... time. Especially right around time for an expansion beta or when the expansion releases. I get phishing from games I wouldn't touch with a fifty foot pole like Scarlet Blade, so I know what you mean.

Gold buying and selling...ugh! I know people need to make a living, but I would rather have my blood elf eternally farming embersilk than buy gold from a company that in all likelihood will rob me blind on both my credit card and my account.

BTW, this is Nyx (waves)
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, what about eternally farming embersilk? Is that bad?
    If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
  • PyroDes86
    PyroDes86
    ✭✭
    Actions
    ESO English Support 7/20/14 Keep this message at the top of your inbox
    To: ---@---.com

Elder Scrolls Online bethesda.net

Dear ----,

We're sorry to see that you've canceled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online, and we'd like to take this opportunity to hear your direct feedback in this brief questionnaire. Please click here to take the survey.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Your account and characters will always be waiting for you if you choose to rejoin your friends in Tamriel.

Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

To help ensure that you receive emails from us, please add no-reply@mail.elderscrollsonline.com to your address book.
    This is a transactional email and is sent from an automated address - please do not reply to this message.
    Need additional assistance? Contact us at: help.elderscrollsonline.com

Terms of Service Privacy Policy Code of Conduct

ZeniMax Online Bethesda

i got this one, i did not unsub.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, folks. Just wanted to give you all a heads up about a recent phishing email that some players have received.

This email asserts that your ESO account will be shut down within 72-hours if you do validate your account by clicking on the link provided. Please do not click on the link. Rest assured that your account is not in danger of being shut down and that this email is fake.

As a reminder, if you ever suspect that an email might not be from us officially please reach out to Support immediately for verification. We are dedicated to ensuring the security of your account, and our team is more than happy to look into the email and verify if it came from us or not.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • MiahButterfly
    MiahButterfly
    Soul Shriven
    Thanx :)
  • godagarah5000
    godagarah5000
    ✭✭✭
    i know this topic is almost 2 months old but i think i had something similar happen to my forum account and im gona reset my password
    Edited by godagarah5000 on December 14, 2015 2:48PM
  • Artemisshrikes
    Artemisshrikes
    ✭✭✭
    i know this topic is almost 2 months old but i think i had something similar happen to my forum account and Vyle_Byte became just as much a victom as me since the hacker threatened them as well as me im gona reset my password @Vile_Byte i recommend you reset you're password too the hacker's/hackers' aliases are tyler gangware and sharkbyte1000 keep an eye out for it zos

and how did you aquire this information
    VR 16 Dragonknight Sarenvog (AD, Former Emperor)
  • godagarah5000
    godagarah5000
    ✭✭✭
    i know this topic is almost 2 months old but i think i had something similar happen to my forum account and Vyle_Byte became just as much a victom as me since the hacker threatened them as well as me im gona reset my password @Vile_Byte i recommend you reset you're password too the hacker's/hackers' aliases are tyler gangware and sharkbyte1000 keep an eye out for it zos

and how did you aquire this information

from my feed i saw there were a bunch of messages i never posted myself that were from my profile so... yeah good times... not really tho kinda sucky actually
    edit: u mean the aliases? well the cops told me when i was hacked 3 years bak so i could be wrong about the person who did it this time id only assume they didnt just throw me random name but idk
    Edited by godagarah5000 on December 14, 2015 1:44AM
  • godagarah5000
    godagarah5000
    ✭✭✭
    btw i already reset my password so i wouldnt get hacked again i honestly dont know how this works tho
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the language in these emails too. If there are spelling or grammar errors, it's likely a phishing or scam email. Sometimes spelling and grammar mistakes happen in legit emails, but it should raise a red flag and warrant caution. Never click on a link. Instead, do a Google search on the website or email domain. If you see it being associated with scam complaints, ignore the email altogether.
    Give 'er eh!
  • Dieadre
    Dieadre
    Um if you quit posting peoples private email addresses publicly without their concent, that might be an effective way to stop some of the phishing scams, as well as provide better security and liability protection for everyone involved. Speedy response requested. Please? Thank you.
  • Dieadre
    Dieadre
    Correction: "consent"
  • CoosCat0255
    CoosCat0255
    Soul Shriven
    Think I just got a fraudulent email today (below).

From: The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Team <teso_help@mailmw.custhelp.com>
    Subject: Exclusive Gifting Offer Just For You

Hi ,
    We appreciate the time and effort you've put into The Elder Scrolls Online, and as such we'd like to give you a special deal on items in the Crown Store.

For a short period, we can enable gift purchases for your friends or guildmates, allowing you to equip or outfit your fellow adventurers with any of the items currently available in the Crown Store. Would you like to outfit your entire guild with the same costume or colors? Or perhaps you’d like to make sure your teammates have the potions required to tackle a tough dungeon or Trial? Just ask!

To take advantage of this, simply respond to this email and let us know what items you are interested in. We’ll respond with some tailor-made deals just for you.

Even if you don't want to take advantage of this offer, we're always here to help. So please feel free to respond to this email with any questions or concerns you may have. We'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Support Team

Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB

Make sure you receive your email from ZeniMax.
    Add email@mailer.elderscrollsonline.com to your address book.
    © 2016 ZeniMax Media Inc. Trademarks are the property of their respective owner.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact

Unsubscribe

• Jiigen
    Jiigen
    ✭✭✭
    I received an e-mail form prey@mailer.elderscrollsonline.com, subject is "Attention TranStar Employees". In name of Arkane Studios and Bethesda, my guess is that this isn't legit as it arrived in my spam folder as well?

"To a thing like me, a thing like you, well... Think how you'd feel if a bacterium sat at your table and started to get snarky." -Death

PC EU
  • ChandraNalaar
    ChandraNalaar
    ✭✭✭

Stuff like this just shows how petty people can be. It's a video game, and it's not like you can trade the in-game items for crowns or real life money.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are spelling or grammar errors, it's likely a phishing or scam email.

1ef01t.jpg
  • Luis_Razuc
    Just received an Email recently from a zos_en3@rnmk. At first glance it looked like it might have been real, but that was before I saw the email address and the name linked to it (scrols, instead of scrolls). It was referring to my early access, and only people I contacted through that email for early access was with support.