The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

RNG and players giving up

Nikkor
Nikkor
✭✭✭
I am trying to be as objective about this as possible. That being said...

Ever since IC I feel the RNG has been so low and so much of a grind that the balance is just too far in the direction of "keep us farming and busy until the next update"

we need a good little swing in the other direction so that the work feels as though there is a good chance for some reward.

I think we are at a point in the game on consoles at least where you are going to lose even more player base if they can't EVER get a helm they want no matter how much they farm a dungeon. Or if you do 5 enchanting writs and never get a single KUTA. Or if you open 20 treasure maps for one piece of v16 gear and 19 v15's of the new sets. "even if they have treasure hunter champion passive on"

just saying. I want more people playing the game not less.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I already gave up on helmets and veteran pledges.
    I have many shoulders, but I've got ZERO helmets.
    The RNG indeed has been killing the pledges fun for me.
  • Lord Xanhorn
    Lord Xanhorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no reason why the last boss and the chest shouldn't both drop the shoulders and the helm. Or God forbid a token system.
    I'm kind of a small deal!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try going for the Master Angler title. RNG is a cruel tease. Until they adjust it for dungeon drops, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltSm5mUniw

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RNG = Inflating content because no one has a better idea on how to make things fun...
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG is a necessity given a finite amount of item rewards. I'm sure it could be tweaked to provide a more overall satisfying experience for a wider amount of players, however.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nikkor wrote: »

Ever since IC I feel the RNG has been so low and so much of a grind that the balance is just too far in the direction of "keep us farming and busy until the next update"

I think we are at a point in the game on consoles at least where you are going to lose even more player base if they can't EVER get a helm they want no matter how much they farm a dungeon. Or if you do 5 enchanting writs and never get a single KUTA. Or if you open 20 treasure maps for one piece of v16 gear and 19 v15's of the new sets. "even if they have treasure hunter champion passive on"
    To start, RNG is neither high nor low, it simply IS. You may mean drop rates are low. I understand the complaint, but honestly a /facepalm is deserved if you think you should get a Kuta from only 5 writs, I went MONTHS doing writs before I saw Kuta from a writ. RNG is a little like getting hit by lightening. That's the nature of random chance. If players quite over this, are they really the kind of player who would stick around more than a few months anyway? It is frustrating to not get a drop for certain items, especially if a lot of grinding is done. On the other hand, how valuable would those sought after items be if they dropped left and right? One thing, there seem to be unlucky characters. Switch and try with an alt. I definitely have alts with better and worse drops.
    Edited by Ourorboros on November 30, 2015 7:55PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG wouldn't be an issue if all dungeon loot were tokens that could be traded to a merchant for any drops; not binding certain end game gear such as the engine guardian helmet to only Dark Shade Caverns or molag kenna to only White Gold Tower.
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
  • J2JMC
    J2JMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    Nikkor wrote: »

To start, RNG is neither high nor low, it simply IS. You may mean drop rates are low. I understand the complaint, but honestly a /facepalm is deserved if you think you should get a Kuta from only 5 writs, I went MONTHS doing writs before I saw Kuta from a writ. RNG is a little like getting hit by lightening. That's the nature of random chance. If players quite over this, are they really the kind of player who would stick around more than a few months anyway? It is frustrating to not get a drop for certain items, especially if a lot of grinding is done. On the other hand, how valuable would those sought after items be if they dropped left and right? One thing, there seem to be unlucky characters. Switch and try with an alt. I definitely have alts with better and worse drops.

I assure you engine guardian, spc, molag kena and the like would still be valuable even if they had a 100 percent drop rate. Low drop rates are understandable on BoE items because it promotes an economy. However, BoP is a completely different story. At the very least you should be able to trade gear with people in the dungeon as you acquire it.
    Knee Jerk, L2P, Obtuse, Casual, Entitled, All The Best, unnecessary mention of CoD

Battle leveling for pve content defeats the idea of progression. Remove CP

"Apparently the players are more informed than we are"-Richard Lambert

• Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 fragments for ONE glass motif pattern is asinine. After over a month of doing daily writs I have my first pattern. I should be well on my way to set completion in that time, or at the very least have half the set. One item per month is unacceptable.

Also, the random traits on set drops in DLC's is probably the most unpopular thing ZOS has ever done. EVERYBODY hates it. That is a sign of a bad design decision.

To remedy this, I suggest ZOS allow 9-trait crafters to re-trait any gear. They could do it from their inventory, from the bank, or from a trade window.
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    10 fragments for ONE glass motif pattern is asinine. After over a month of doing daily writs I have my first pattern. I should be well on my way to set completion in that time, or at the very least have half the set. One item per month is unacceptable.

Also, the random traits on set drops in DLC's is probably the most unpopular thing ZOS has ever done. EVERYBODY hates it. That is a sign of a bad design decision.

To remedy this, I suggest ZOS allow 9-trait crafters to re-trait any gear. They could do it from their inventory, from the bank, or from a trade window.

And there goes the group dungeon population...
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been told that helms drop in various vet dungeons.

I've yet to see one drop for me.

/played is over 60 days.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need smaller scale competitive PvP, and competitive Co-op PvE.

Team PvP (matchups) would go a long way to keep people interested and playing for the PvP side of things. From there you can diminish the amount of campaigns (to have higher population in them) and set seasons to fit with team PvP tournaments or whatever. (hug amount of stuff you can do in that direction actually...)

Co-op competitive PvE. I dont know what the logic is on this but doing group dungeons are fun for quests the FIRST TIME WHEN ITS NEW. After that, anything tedious will suck. Repeating running through 2 hour content over and over isnt cool. The best co-op multiplayer I've played was ME3 (very surprisingly). It's short (10-40 min depending on difficulty). It's challenging (platinum o_O). You can choose the difficulty and get rewards accordingly(and honestly the toughest difficulty is more for bragging rights, you can get by with the rewards from the preceding tier). You can easily set up your team, switch roles, switch strategies etc... And you get rewards even if you fail. (just a lot less) - rewards let you buy a variety of different tiered chests that narrow the RNG to what you want. <- This system is proven, I don't get why it's so hard to put something in place that works for ZOS. And for crying out loud can we please get rid of all the useless traits on REWARDS? Random world loot or even dungeon loot, fine, I dont mind. But on actual rewards?? Exploration? Reallyyyyy?????

And theres something about surviving waves, thats much more fun than crawling through a dungeon. (We've seen this from games like COD(zombies), Halo(firefight), ME3, Dragon Age (where the entire multiplayer generally sucked except for the last stages when you need to survive), etc...)
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well in all honesty, if forcing people into a miserable RNG grind they HATE was the only thing dragging people into dungeons in the first place, the game was in a sorry state and poised to fail.

Clearly to save dungeon population requires better incentive, like a TOKEN SYSTEM which people have been nagging ZOS for over the past... YEAR? Yet to hear any response on that but just because twisting a kid's arm gets them to give their lunch money doesn't mean it is a practical long-term solution!

But that's another topic.

;)
    Edited by Phinix1 on November 30, 2015 8:28PM
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well in all honesty, if forcing people into a miserable RNG grind they HATE was the only thing dragging people into dungeons in the first place, the game was in a sorry state and poised to fail.

Clearly to save dungeon population requires better incentive, like a TOKEN SYSTEM which people have been nagging ZOS for over the past... YEAR? Yet to hear any response on that but just because twisting a kid's arm gets them to give their lunch money doesn't mean it is a practical long-term solution!

;)

I am all for it if they add a token system then.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. I don´t even bother. RNG is not fun. I´ll glady do 20 pledges if i get to choose the shoulder i want (trait + armor type) aswell as 20x the same dungeon to get the helm i want (trait + armor type).

This games pve reward system is poorly thought out and if they´d let an intern reword the basics it would probably come out better than it is now.
    The pvp reward system is even worse because there is nothing worthwile to be found in the first place.
    It´s flatout terribly bad design in terms of itemisation/rewards.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• G0ku
    G0ku
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    If players quite over this, are they really the kind of player who would stick around more than a few months anyway?
    I was there since May ´14. The rng introduced with IC together with loading screens killed it for me...
    - First AD EU Group to finish DSA VET -
    AD Altmer V16 Templar Alliance Rank 30 - EU - DSA Conqueror (pre-nerf) flawless vMSA
    AD Argonian V16 Dragonknight Alliance Rank 15
    AD Bosmer V16 Nightblade Alliance Rank 16
    AD Kahjiit V16 Sorcerer Alliance Rank 10
    AD Dunmer V16 Dragonknight Alliance Rank 9
    AD Altmer V16 Templar Alliance Rank 10 - flawless vMSA
    DC Altmer V16 Sorcerer Alliance Rank 9 - flawless vMSA
    AD Breton V16 Templar Alliance Rank 10
    AD Altmer V16 Sorceress Alliance Rank 21
    AD Kahjiit Warden
    AD Altmer Nightblade
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

This. I don´t even bother. RNG is not fun. I´ll glady do 20 pledges if i get to choose the shoulder i want (trait + armor type) aswell as 20x the same dungeon to get the helm i want (trait + armor type).

This games pve reward system is poorly thought out and if they´d let an intern reword the basics it would probably come out better than it is now.
    The pvp reward system is even worse because there is nothing worthwile to be found in the first place.
    It´s flatout terribly bad design in terms of itemisation/rewards.

I just hope ZOS reads feedback like this.

Too often threads they SHOULD pay attention to get lost in a torrent of flame threads that don't matter in the grand scheme.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try going for the Master Angler title. RNG is a cruel tease. Until they adjust it for dungeon drops, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltSm5mUniw

lol
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 tokens for completing a Bronze pledge, 10 tokens for completing a Silver pledge, 15 tokens for completing a Gold pledge.

The average player will earn 25 tokens per day assuming they only play a single character regularly.

200 tokens allows a player to purchase *either* a helmet or shoulder coffer of his choice, but weight and trait vary. Coffer includes soul gem and gold as well as a chance at a rare motif chapter.

There. Content continues to be played, players have access to whatever might be the new hotness each time the game is updated. Reward and Invested time get matched more evenly. World saved.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely feel like there's something "off" about the RNG in this game. Whether it's murdering trolls for skulls for literally months with no luck, or 10 Malubeth shoulders versus a couple of other kinds, there does seem to be something in the RNG defying all expectations of normal distribution. And more to the point, a little RNG grind isn't the worst thing in the world, but a lot of RNG grind (or a lot of grind in general) is not something I find desirable in a game. I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to achieve everything in an MMO without it becoming your entire life. That's why the Wrothgar daily quest achievements aren't so bad compared to some of the Imperial City achievements. 30 dailies of easch type? Sure, that's fine. 100 Trove Scamps AND 100 of the other kind? Dreadful. One more reason Wrothgar is overall the best new content in the game, imho.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I pretty much wrote off any drop set that I can't get on the guild store. I don't want to spend my time in game doing something I don't think is fun. Which is RNG farming.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just sacrificed a goat to the Mad God and prayed:

"May Lord Sheogorath cheesify the RNG of this game"
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I already gave up on attempting to craft a full v16 set, so I'll stick with phoenix. I haven't even been able to upgrade my gear to legendary, but I know players on PC will laugh at that because they had plenty of time to stock up on mats and took advantage of multiple hirelings "exploit" a while back.
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

;)

I am all for it if they add a token system then.

I can go for a token system myself, this game has always had poor loot drops and the chances to get them pretty slim, I would rather run the dungeons a few times and collect tokens to exchange for what I want over some rng that seems to hate me, I have the worst the worst luck with rng it seems.
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 tokens for completing a Bronze pledge, 10 tokens for completing a Silver pledge, 15 tokens for completing a Gold pledge.

The average player will earn 25 tokens per day assuming they only play a single character regularly.

200 tokens allows a player to purchase *either* a helmet or shoulder coffer of his choice, but weight and trait vary. Coffer includes soul gem and gold as well as a chance at a rare motif chapter.

There. Content continues to be played, players have access to whatever might be the new hotness each time the game is updated. Reward and Invested time get matched more evenly. World saved.

this! So much this! @ZOS_GinaBruno please pass this idea along :):):):):):):):):):):):)

I agree with this thread so much! The RNG is making me bitter towards this game. Love the living crap out of it, hate having a second job called ESO....... 2 months of doing dailies(just started caring bout doing them recently) on two characters (both silver and gold v16) and I have 29 spawn of mephalas shoulders (varying traits and weight, all deconstructed) and just yesterday I got vaulkyn....... Not a single Nierinth to be seen......

VCOH, over 100+ runs.... no helm..... hard to find groups for this even when it IS the pledge, so most the time I resort to two manning it when my buddy decides he wants to play.

Now I need to farm vmsa (roughly 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours for me to complete) for jewelry that I have yet to see after a bunch of completions.... the RNG just makes me so sad, oh so sad.

EDIT: To touch more on the tokens, make it a new currency that we can deposit into our bank, and NOT BOUND to each character we have, yet bound to our account like Tel Var Stones
    Edited by OGLezard on November 30, 2015 9:41PM
  • Timeetyo
    Timeetyo
    ✭✭
    This is exactly why most of my friends (many of whom were very dedicated - high CP players) have already left the game and will never return.

ZOS is so worried about stretching their content and forcing us to buy expansions that they are driving away players who would be buying more future expansions.....go figure.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The token system should be Dwemer Coins. 'Cause lore!

dwemer_coin_by_insanitysorrow-d5wjdj1.jpg
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG is a necessity given a finite amount of item rewards. I'm sure it could be tweaked to provide a more overall satisfying experience for a wider amount of players, however.

Reference finite number of item rewards ... consider there are 11 ish traits (including the awful ones like training), there are 12-14 equipment slots (depending on if you equip one or two hand weapons). If each boss only drops one of those 12 items with a random trait the to get a full collection (every combination of every armor/weapon in the set) it will take 133 item drops (for 12 slots) assuming there are no repeats (which there would be). So if you called the drop chance 25% and targeted 12 specific items all dropped by different bosses in different dungeons then it would require 100s of dungeons to be run in order to acquire the ideal traits on the set that you want (assuming they were all BoP, naturally with a market place it becomes complicated). Multiple this by people's desires to try new things and new combos. Heck of you just wanted to collect all the pieces from all the sets from dungeons ... it would require 44 runs of each dungeon.. at a minimum

There are 20ish dungeons at 44 runs per that becomes 880 total dungeon runs .... that's a lot of runs to just get all the dungeon drop pieces.

I guess my point is that there are enough sets and traits that it's not really necessary to have pittance drop rates.
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »

I guess my point is that there are enough sets and traits that it's not really necessary to have pittance drop rates.

And nowhere in my post did I say that the drop rates needed to be terrible. In fact my immediately proceeding sentence says that I support it being tweaked. I simply claimed that RNG in and of itself is an inescapable aspect of RPG loot mechanics.
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »

And nowhere in my post did I say that the drop rates needed to be terrible. In fact my immediately proceeding sentence says that I support it being tweaked. I simply claimed that RNG in and of itself is an inescapable aspect of RPG loot mechanics.

which is why I think the 200 tokens for a guaranteed shoulder or helmet of (rng based) weight and trait would work to bring the level of effort vs reward to a more acceptable level without trivializing anything.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)