The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Countering Nightblades - Advice Needed

Jakhajay
Jakhajay
✭✭✭✭
Hey there,
I need some help countering those pesky NBs in Cyrodiil.

Here's how it usually goes down:
I'm sneaking about, trying to find a place to hide. Have Radiant Magelight up, just in case.
Before I know it, Ambushed, stunned. Radiant Magelight did not do it's job. Bonus points if the NB had proximity detonation.
Break Fr- Lag
Break Free.
Feared since CC immunity works only sporadically.
Break Fr-Oh that's right no stamina. No potion either.
Concealed Weapon
Concealed Weapon Still Feared.
Concealed Weapon
Aaaaand I'm dead before I even move.

I'm a squishy Templar healer. I usually run with a zerg for the whole safety in numbers thing. But sometimes that's not an option (yay Oceanic). Running 5 pc Arena, 5pc Healer all v14, 5/1/1 light/med/heavy. Sword + Board/Resto. V16 blue health/mag food, standard v16 tri-pots, detection pots.

I don't run Cyrodiil that often, and if I'm not with the zerg, it's an exercise in frustration due to this sort of thing.

If anyone could help me out with some advice/pointers, it would be much appreciated.
Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
For Elsweyr and her people!
  • Levo18
    Levo18
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have to give up a whole bar to counter one class. Dont listen to others saying otherwise those are NBs in disguise that dont want their class get nerfed. NIGHTBLADES ARE THE GODS OF PVP!!!!
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know, I used to play one in Blackwater before he outlevelled it, but he was a coward with a bow and snipe. I'd bug out of anyone got within 5m XD I've no idea how to counter the ones that get all up close and personal
    Edited by Jakhajay on October 31, 2015 4:22AM
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot you can do with the latency you probably experience as an oceanic. Breaking free as soon as you can is important, and then capitalize on your cc immunity by going offensive. Blazing spear is a better opener than radiant destruction imho.

I'm always moving my character, he never stands still unless hidden, and I bash whenever I feel my character move in a way that was out of my control. It does mean that I bash for no reason when I run into a small rock but that's a small price to pay for being able to break free almost instantly.

If you carry a s&b then you can block many of the high damage skills from a nb, including ambush, but this requires you to not be cc'd. Try immovability potions, they give you cc immunity for 15 secs and you can get them with increased detection radius too. So it's a health pot, detect pot and cc immunity pot all in one.

You can also try wearing 5 light and 2 heavy if you don't already. I recommend heavy chest and legs with reinforced trait to maximise the resistances from 2 heavy. You can only really do this when wearing crafted gear though. As a magicka sorc I wear 5x kagrenacs, so I made 2 of the large pieces heavy and I love it. Still have 1.9k regen, I just lose out on some magicka by not having infused on 2 large pieces.

Sorry I can't give you more advice, I don't pvp with my Templar. The more time you spend pvping the better you get at surviving, it takes practice though.
    PC | EU
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll give that a go once Orsinium drops :D

• SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Levo18 wrote: »
    You have to give up a whole bar to counter one class. Dont listen to others saying otherwise those are NBs in disguise that dont want their class get nerfed. NIGHTBLADES ARE THE GODS OF PVP!!!!

You made me lol
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Levo18 wrote: »

I kind of agree. Now i just use defensive rune, as a sorcerer, and daedric mines. After that skill will determine which of us will win

Edit: I used to have my back up bar set up just for NBs, there are just too damn many of them
    Edited by DannyLV702 on October 31, 2015 4:38AM
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detection potions, those help me when that cocky nightblade decides he cant win ;)
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Detection potions, those help me when that cocky nightblade decides he cant win ;)
    Already use them :)

• kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jakhajay wrote: »
    Hey there,

I'm sneaking about, trying to find a place to hide. Have Radiant Magelight up, just in case.
    Before I know it, Ambushed, stunned. Radiant Magelight did not do it's job. Bonus points if the NB had proximity detonation.
    Break Fr- Lag
    Break Free.
    Concealed Weapon
    Concealed Weapon

I'm a squishy Templar healer. I usually run with a zerg for the whole safety in numbers thing. But sometimes that's not an option (yay Oceanic). Running 5 pc Arena, 5pc Healer all v14, 5/1/1 light/med/heavy. Sword + Board/Resto. V16 blue health/mag food, standard v16 tri-pots, detection pots.

I don't run Cyrodiil that often, and if I'm not with the zerg, it's an exercise in frustration due to this sort of thing.

If anyone could help me out with some advice/pointers, it would be much appreciated.

There is no way you got stun by Ambush with Mage Light running Ambush's stun was nerfed to a root and it only stuns from stealth Mage light 100% counters that. Vs a stamina build in 5/5+ medium they will have a really low detection range but that stun immune from stealth has always worked.

Concealed Weapons is a Mage power so he had far better regen and pool size most likely with good but not great damage. Magicka Nightblades without that stealth stun are free kills Concealed Weapons tooltip is weak so after the 50% damage nerf and Champion System buff come into account dying to it is pretty hard.

Sounds like you deaded to lag.

Unless you have some awesome ManaBlade build you want to share with the class cause my magic Templar and Dragon can can rock Heavy Seducer and kick ass. My Sorcerer can win with just heavy Chest and legs but my magic Nightblade needs the burst damage and it's not there.

Dying 1v1 to a magic Nightblade with Mage light up is next to impossible.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are having issues with the game itself with the lag and the CC issues. Radiant magelight should be giving you a minimum of 50% damage reduction against sneak attacks, if its not doing that, its bugging out.

I imagine fighting a NB is hard as a templar. Unfortunately the Templar is the one class I never got around to playing, so I can't help. Sorry:(
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey there,

I'd just make a thinly veiled nerf NB's thread and let ZOS handle those pesky kids.
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about lag, my minimum latency in Cyro is about 400-420, and since the server hardware upgrade it feels more like 1000-1500.

Templar doesn't have much in the way of CC. I thought about trying volcanic rune and chucking that under my feet.
    My Sorcerer can win with just heavy Chest and legs
    How? Please teach me.
    My Sorc has heavy legs and chest, rocking seducer/martial knowledge and torugs and gets her arse handed to her on a silver platter whenever an enemy so much as sneezes at me.

Edited by Jakhajay on October 31, 2015 5:02PM

• McSwaggins
    McSwaggins
    ✭✭✭
    It's simple, kill them before they can kill you
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey there,

Break Fr- Lag
    Break Free.
    Concealed Weapon
    Concealed Weapon

There is no way you got stun by Ambush with Mage Light running Ambush's stun was nerfed to a root and it only stuns from stealth Mage light 100% counters that. Vs a stamina build in 5/5+ medium they will have a really low detection range but that stun immune from stealth has always worked.

Concealed Weapons is a Mage power so he had far better regen and pool size most likely with good but not great damage. Magicka Nightblades without that stealth stun are free kills Concealed Weapons tooltip is weak so after the 50% damage nerf and Champion System buff come into account dying to it is pretty hard.

Unless you have some awesome ManaBlade build you want to share with the class cause my magic Templar and Dragon can can rock Heavy Seducer and kick ass. My Sorcerer can win with just heavy Chest and legs but my magic Nightblade needs the burst damage and it's not there.

From some test i've been in magelight doesn't always stop stuns as one would expect. An example of this is if a nb cloaks then uses surprise attack/concealed weapon it will stun the target even if the target has radiant magelight on.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    Hey there,

Break Fr- Lag
    Break Free.
    Concealed Weapon
    Concealed Weapon

From some test i've been in magelight doesn't always stop stuns as one would expect. An example of this is if a nb cloaks then uses surprise attack/concealed weapon it will stun the target even if the target has radiant magelight on.

its always been like that; It stuns either from stealth OR while invisible.
    Edited by Cody on October 31, 2015 5:07PM
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    McSwaggins wrote: »
    It's simple, kill them before they can kill you

Lol, that's all well and good, yes, but what about when they kill you before you can even react?

CP5 wrote: »

That's what I've found too. It also seems to get more unreliable the higher latency you have. Which is a biiiiig problem living in NZ

• Angarato
    Angarato
    ✭✭✭
    play a magicka sorc. slam nerdy pimpled neckbearded face in the keyboard over and over. you win
  • ostrapz
    ostrapz
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox 1 NA
    Stamblade: Grand overlord
    Stamsorc: Major
    Magplar: Centurion
    551k vma
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are no counters for nightblades I think that has been firmly established by the people on this board
  • Speely
    Speely
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like to outheal their damage until I can land some decent CC on them and then they die quickly because they are usually squishy as hell. Panacea of Immovability + Radiant Magelight helps. That said, some of them really pile on the damage so quickly that I can't keep up and/or get any CC to stick (particularly Magicka NBs.) I think that's a fair trade-off. As a Magicka Templar, I can be useful in far more situations and adapt to more than a glass cannon NB can, so if one gets the drop on me and fulfills their role as an assassin, I am not angry. Losing is a part of playing and the game isn't meant to be balanced around 1v1.
  • Snowgoons
    Snowgoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speely wrote: »
    I like to outheal their damage until I can land some decent CC on them and then they die quickly because they are usually squishy as hell. Panacea of Immovability + Radiant Magelight helps. That said, some of them really pile on the damage so quickly that I can't keep up and/or get any CC to stick (particularly Magicka NBs.) I think that's a fair trade-off. As a Magicka Templar, I can be useful in far more situations and adapt to more than a glass cannon NB can, so if one gets the drop on me and fulfills their role as an assassin, I am not angry. Losing is a part of playing and the game isn't meant to be balanced around 1v1.

and this is why you're not in charge of balancing a MMO.
    Rollin' round Tamriel on that skooma wasted like a failed Grand Theft Auto mission.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angarato wrote: »
    play a magicka sorc. slam nerdy pimpled neckbearded face in the keyboard over and over. you win

Might as well have written "I regularly get murked by magicka sorcs and it hurts my ego".
    PC | EU
  • Speely
    Speely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snowgoons wrote: »
    Speely wrote: »

and this is why you're not in charge of balancing a MMO.

Oh snapple, that's refreshing.
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Angarato wrote: »

Lol, my main is a magicka sorc, she gets totally ROFLstomped by everyone, by the exact same things as my templar healer. Bolt Escape doesn't work all the time, because lag to NZ means that I die so fast THEN port dead

• DeanTheCat
    DeanTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using a pingbooster software like BattlePing or WTFast to help with your latency issues. I normally have 350+ ping when not using a pingbooster, but ever since I started using one my ping have dropped to a (barely) playable 230 minimum. The difference is really noticeable.

At 400+ ping, you are pretty much a free kill to any class, no matter the build or gear you have simply because it's near impossible to surmount the ping disadvantage. Therefore, the use of a pingbooster is near essential. Of course, this only works if you play on PC.

Also, I find this is quite useful:
    http://youtu.be/1ZXHsNqkDI4
    Dean the Cat
    Somewhat Insane Puddicat
    EU-PC Megaserver; Ebonheart Pact, Alliance Rank 34
    This one hails from far Singapore, excuse this one for his high pings. He also apologizes for any formatting/spelling errors, as he tends to answer using a mobile device.

Insanity is the price of Knowledge. Herma-Mora and Sheogorath, this one bows before thee.

This one does not advocate for any class to be nerfed. There are far deeper underlying issues then a simple "Class Imbalance". The Champion System is the problem. Not classes.

Please read this before creating yet another nerf thread.

My guides:
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opening with dodge roll block if you are hit from stealth can mitigate a ton of damage and turn things around pretty quickly. Nightblades hate block.
    Edited by Cathexis on November 1, 2015 5:06AM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, as a magplar, you're gonna have to pretty drastically outplay a magblade to counter them.

I main a magika NB and the templars that manage to beat me are the ones that keep pressure up and use snares/toppling charge to make sure I can't get out of their puncturing sweeps. Ultimately, the only way you're going to do the damage you need to kill them is with spears, a capable magblade will use cloak to stop damage from radiant destruction and Vamp's bane.

I would suggest you slot some different counter to cloak, but tbh, I don't honestly think any of them work too well for a magika build, or at least in my experience most magika builds don't consistently pull me out of cloak when I'm trying to time burst/heal/etc

It sounds to me like its honestly a problem with your build if you don't have enough stam regen to break free more than twice though as well. It is super important to remember that against magblade they don't have a great self heal so keeping pressure up will typically work towards your advantage.

Maybe post your stats, gear setup, etc and somebody can offer some advice

And to the people saying magblades are easy or free kills I submit to you this

3.8k spell power
    31k max mag
    2.8k mag reg
    1.5k stam reg

seems like a free kill? if so I'm homed Trueflame NA, DC, I can show you :)
    Edited by Lexxypwns on November 1, 2015 5:42AM
  • tennant94
    tennant94
    ✭✭✭
    For magic nb's you gotta stun them every 6 seconds and stam blades... Re roll a magic sorc and use hardened ward lol.
  • tennant94
    tennant94
    ✭✭✭
    JDar wrote: »
    there are no counters for nightblades I think that has been firmly established by the people on this board

There are no counters for any class...
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeanTheCat wrote: »
    Try using a pingbooster software like BattlePing or WTFast to help with your latency issues. I normally have 350+ ping when not using a pingbooster, but ever since I started using one my ping have dropped to a (barely) playable 230 minimum. The difference is really noticeable.

Unless your ISP is throttling stuff, that won't make a difference... it's not going to let the laser light down in the glass fibers go even faster than the speed of light.