The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Julianos and Twice-Born Star

• Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I'll wait till you get some nice stat pictures of newly crafted gear on the PTS @Paulington =)
    Edited by Asayre on October 18, 2015 10:17PM
    Reference for any calculation I make Introduction to PvE Damage Calculation
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Having spoken to Asayre, we double-counted some enchants etc and found that TTBS and Julianos are very very close in metric however swapping to The Shadow may slightly improve Julianos over TTBS.

I'll be testing on the PTS tomorrow, so we'll have real numbers! :).
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe this will be my final estimate for the stats for Julianos and TBS

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pgO64PFrMUg6o_0vJ5vMgWTLWJ4YT6f0hlhaXKFFqyY/edit?usp=sharing

The ability metric for Sorc shows that TBS is ever so slightly better. I will go with TBS due to the extra health and the fact that with other sources of critical damage multiplier, such as Rearming Trap and Aggresive Warhorn, TBS will be even stronger than Julianos.

Julianos - Sorc - Staff - 118902
    nd9ytj.png

Juliano - Sorc - DW - 129792
    2e4gb5u.png

TBS - Sorc - Staff - 119163
    25gz8g2.png

TBS - Sorc - DW - 130423
    wbf4si.png

Julianos - Templar - 117477
    f4h8on.png

TBS - Templar - 123281
    v4m621.png
  • His Crayness
    I'm interested to know from a magicka templar perspective if a loss of spell damage in favour of crit damage buffs results in a loss with regard to the Burning Light passive? Or do crit modifiers apply to that too?
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I'm going to hold out on any recommendations for now until Paul gets these tests done. I'll be online later too, Paul, and can come to the PTS to help test things (e.g. give you Illuminate, War Horn/CPrayer to see how this affects numbers).
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor (PvE - www.hodor-guild.eu), Chimaira (PvE)
    Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

Current vMA score (Templar): Pending return to game
    World Record for all trials pre-Thieves Guild
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj clear
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj speed run clear
    Returning to the game for Morrowind
  • Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By The way a tip for more Tests coming: You already got The new Maelstrom Weapons Info, you could Check precise + 189 more Spelldmg :smile:
    Edited by Birdovic on October 19, 2015 10:20AM
  • d8rmir
    d8rmir
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Asayre,

in your computation of the gear Spell Damage for DW Sorcerer it looks like you are adding both a Torug's set bonus and a Maelstrom bonus. Am I missing something?
  • quickblade418
    quickblade418
    ✭✭✭
    This is my setup with Kagrenac and spell damage mundus stone.
    FyOOItg.jpg

and This is when entropy, Molag Kena and a instant Crystal fragment proc :smile:
    UpflEUq.jpg
    Edited by quickblade418 on October 19, 2015 4:13PM
    NA PC

EP
    - Ishkashi - Magplar
    - Orchish - Stamplar
    - Amerikan Knight - Stam DK
    - Déàth - Mag DK
    - Psychic Venom - Mag NB
    - Made in Quebec - Stam NB
    - Death'inately not Dëäth - Stamden

DC
    - Dëàth - Mag DK
    - Death-îsh - Magden

AD
    - Lìfe - Magden
    - Déäth - Mag DK
  • Instant
    Instant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my setup with Kagrenac and spell damage mundus stone.
    FyOOItg.jpg

and This is when entropy, Molag Kena and a instant Crystal fragment proc :smile:
    UpflEUq.jpg

More tooltip damage doesn't necessarily mean more dps.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
  • quickblade418
    quickblade418
    ✭✭✭
    Im a glass cannon meant for pvp , also my skills arnt really what I use on my bar for pvp usually , ill go with magicka det instead of lightning flood and a few other tweaks
    NA PC

EP
    - Ishkashi - Magplar
    - Orchish - Stamplar
    - Amerikan Knight - Stam DK
    - Déàth - Mag DK
    - Psychic Venom - Mag NB
    - Made in Quebec - Stam NB
    - Death'inately not Dëäth - Stamden

DC
    - Dëàth - Mag DK
    - Death-îsh - Magden

AD
    - Lìfe - Magden
    - Déäth - Mag DK
  • stonerskate109
    I'm running 2 torugs pact, 3 willpower, 5 kagrenacs as well as 2 valkyn skoria and I sit at 2840 spell damage as a templar. I'm definitely going with julianos when it comes out I'll sit at closer to 30 with valkyn skoria procs which will be super sweet :)
  • stonerskate109
    3000*
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »
    Asayre wrote: »
    @Altyrann I was initially calculating for a Sorcerer. I should have said that somewhere but I forgot. The Expert Mage passive is a Sorcerer only passive. In this new calculations I have separated calculations for Templars and Sorcerers. I have included the Minor Sorcery buff from illuminate for the Templar calculations. On re-reading your comment, I realised that I misunderstood you initially. I should have added an extra 5% since a templar group member will give the Illuminate passive. I didn't include it in the screenshots below but if I added it in the calculation, the ability metric for Julianos is 123741 and for TBS 123963

@le.khang94ub17_ESO while I'm no magicka nightblade expert. TBS is probably still better even when taking into account the Pressure Point and Hemorrhage passive. Of course all calculations assume legendary v16 gear so you better get upgrading...

Thank you for the comments @Paulington and @EgoRush and the helpful discussion with @hedna123b14_ESO

I rechecked my calculations and performed it again with the setup suggested by @Paulington and my final conclusion is that TBS is still better. It seems that increasing spell damage favours Twice-born as seen in the calculations for sorcerers. With regards to templars, I previously thought that the Piercing Spear passive would favour Julianos since it would be increasing the effect of Elfborn. But in saying that I forgot that Piercing Spear also increases the effect of the Shadow mundus. Thus the difference between TBS and Julianos is larger for a templar (and in favour of TBS). This also means that skills that boost critical damage modifier such as Rearming Trap and Aggresive warhorn will favour TBS more.

As an aside, my calculations suggest that Nirnhoned is better for targets with a spell resistance greater than 10000. Since most bosses appear to have at least 16000 resistance (unless they are weak to a specific element) Nirnhoned should always be used even when Major Breach is used as this would lower the Spell Resistance to ~11000. All calculations below assume a CP distribution of 100 in Elemental Expert (for Sorc) or Thaumathurge (for Templars), 58 in Elfborn and 9 in Spell Erosion. This is always the optimum CP distribution for Templars even if the mob has a Spell Resistance of 32000 (it changes at an unrealistic Spell Resistance)

Here are the calculations for a sorcerer in support of my argument. The ability metric is based on a weighted sum of magicka and spell damage multiplied by the product of the critical damage chance and critical damage modifier. A higher ability metric score is preferred.

Julianos - Ability metric - 121327
    2qatus9.png

TBS - Ability metric - 121657
    148gehl.png

And one for templars

Julianos - Ability metric - 119941
    9se23b.png

TBS - Ability metric 121162
    294kvaa.png

And a link to a viewable spreadsheet
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vCAUoC-Fr_obOadUyFnGkt9V539PeKydKlaTtYe2szU/edit?usp=sharing

Hey @Asayre.

Thanks for all the data, made for really interesting reading. I have modified your spreadsheet and come to the opposite conclusion however.

From your spreadsheet on Juliano's Sorc, your "bonus" spell damage seemed low and just doing a bit of maths of my own I come up with a much higher number including the Kena proc.

Willpower: 751
    Kena: 645 (Base 129 + 516 proc).
    Julianos: 299
    Maelstrom: 189
    Total: 1,884.

I copied your spreadsheet and put this new number in and I get a performance metric of 129,351 which is around 6.5% higher than your TTBS performance metric. This is on the staff bar too. Currently the Dual-Wield bar with Torug's gives an extra 334 spell damage which would increase the metric even more.

To me this suggests that Juliano's is the better set here, but I am open to correction. We will find out in a few hours! :). The spreadsheet I modified can be found here.

I am very interested at how you have arrived at willpower jewelry granting 751 spell power if the set bonus is 186 and each spell damage enchant is 174, giving you 708 spell damage...
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running 2 torugs pact, 3 willpower, 5 kagrenacs as well as 2 valkyn skoria and I sit at 2840 spell damage as a templar. I'm definitely going with julianos when it comes out I'll sit at closer to 30 with valkyn skoria procs which will be super sweet :)

Using skoria is a dps loss...
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am very interested at how you have arrived at willpower jewelry granting 751 spell power if the set bonus is 186 and each spell damage enchant is 174, giving you 708 spell damage...

I literally just equipped/unequipped the set and got the difference in spell power on my character sheet. I would wager that I forgot to remove sorcerer abilities from my bar as each one gives 2% extra spell damage. :).

At any rate, Asayre and I had a chat and determined we'd both double counted in some places and that the metric is almost too close to call between the two, so we're going to get some real data when the PTS comes up! :).
  • Yonkit
    Yonkit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You keep running the thief on your Julianos set... Run the shadow on both then compare. You'll still be over 50% with the Julianos, so you need to have the right mundus made for all comparisons.
    Has an Alter Ego in the form of a very large quadrupedal black & white Bear.
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yonkit wrote: »
    You keep running the thief on your Julianos set... Run the shadow on both then compare. You'll still be over 50% with the Julianos, so you need to have the right mundus made for all comparisons.

If you run TBS you have to run Theif as one of your Mundus. If you run Julianos, you have spell damage approximately equal to the Apprentice built in, and your crit will be high enough not to need Theif leaving you open for Shadow which puts you ahead in DPS.

I went through the same thing with stamina DPS with TBS and Hundings.
    Edited by Elijah_Crow on October 20, 2015 5:10AM
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @His Crayness , I don't think you can crit with burning light that said I'm not sure how to model the decreased Burning light damage for Twice-Born Star.

@d8rmir you're right in that I accidentally calculated an extra Torug set bonus in my second set of spreadsheets. This has been corrected in the third set of spreadsheets. I am in total agreement with @Paulington that the numbers for Sorcerers is way too close and in-game testing is required to determine actual stat values to obtain a better prediction.

@Yonkit, I am estimating 51.8% as the crit chance with Julianos (without the Thief Mundus)

10% (Base) + 10% (Prodigy) + 10% (Inner light) + 12% (Spell Precision) + 6.3% (Julianos) +3% (Exploitation)

I did forget to include the Exploitation bonus in my last estimate.

I would not use Shadow even so because from my previous calculations, I found that if
    Crit multipler / Crit chance > 60/59 then the Thief should be used otherwise the Shadow is preferred.

The reasoning for this statement is taken from another thread
    C is the Crit chance
    M is the Crit multiplier
    T is the Thief Mundus (0.118 base)
    S is the Shadow Mundus (0.12 base)
    Note that the Crit multiplier here is 1.xx but I using a crit multiplier of 0.xx

Damage_Shadow = (1-C)*Base Damage + C*(M+S)*Base Damage
    Damage_Thief = (1-C-T)*Base Damage + (C+T)*M*Base Damage

Damage_Thief – Damage_Shadow = Base Damage ( T*(M-1) – C*S )

Thief is better than Shadow when, T*(M-1) – C*S > 0
    This is equivalent to fulfilling the equation below
    (M-1) / C > 60/59

My crit multiplier with 58 points in Elfborn is 0.59 thus the Thief is preferred.

The Ability Metric with the Thief is 120416 (this is higher than the 118902 in my last spreadsheet because I included the Exploitation passive this time) but with the Shadow 119281.
    Edited by Asayre on October 20, 2015 6:56AM
  • Trikki
    Trikki
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    @Asayre Sorry for not explaining it better :)
    Crit becomes more recognizeable over time. The more hits you do, the more likely it is to land a critical hit and the more your crit chance becomes impactfull.

So abilities that you can fire frequently benefit more from higher crit chance than slow bursty abilities.

I think you need to go back to Math 101.

• Yonkit
    Yonkit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @His Crayness , I don't think you can crit with burning light that said I'm not sure how to model the decreased Burning light damage for Twice-Born Star.

@d8rmir you're right in that I accidentally calculated an extra Torug set bonus in my second set of spreadsheets. This has been corrected in the third set of spreadsheets. I am in total agreement with @Paulington that the numbers for Sorcerers is way too close and in-game testing is required to determine actual stat values to obtain a better prediction.

@Yonkit, I am estimating 51.8% as the crit chance with Julianos (without the Thief Mundus)

10% (Base) + 10% (Prodigy) + 10% (Inner light) + 12% (Spell Precision) + 6.3% (Julianos) +3% (Exploitation)

I did forget to include the Exploitation bonus in my last estimate.

I would not use Shadow even so because from my previous calculations, I found that if
    Crit multipler / Crit chance > 60/59 then the Thief should be used otherwise the Shadow is preferred.

The reasoning for this statement is taken from another thread
    C is the Crit chance
    M is the Crit multiplier
    T is the Thief Mundus (0.118 base)
    S is the Shadow Mundus (0.12 base)
    Note that the Crit multiplier here is 1.xx but I using a crit multiplier of 0.xx

Damage_Shadow = (1-C)*Base Damage + C*(M+S)*Base Damage
    Damage_Thief = (1-C-T)*Base Damage + (C+T)*M*Base Damage

Damage_Thief – Damage_Shadow = Base Damage ( T*(M-1) – C*S )

Thief is better than Shadow when, T*(M-1) – C*S > 0
    This is equivalent to fulfilling the equation below
    (M-1) / C > 60/59

My crit multiplier with 58 points in Elfborn is 0.59 thus the Thief is preferred.

The Ability Metric with the Thief is 120416 (this is higher than the 118902 in my last spreadsheet because I included the Exploitation passive this time) but with the Shadow 119281.

Interesting...
    Has an Alter Ego in the form of a very large quadrupedal black & white Bear.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious on whether Divines on the Julianos set large pieces makes sense at 501 CP with all of the +magicka multipliers (including CP).

For TBS I know 7 divines makes sense.

Additionally have you verified Elfborn passive is working correctly on PTS? Last time I checked it was only giving half benefit. 1% Crit damage was actually making your 50% = 50.5%.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • d8rmir
    d8rmir
    ✭✭✭
    Just a last (slightly off-topic) question @Asayre,
    do I understand correctly that the reason you prefer DW over 2H for a sorcerer is that Heavy Weapons passive does not apply to Overload attacks?
    Maybe you have actually already written it somewhere, and I missed it.
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    d8rmir wrote: »
    do I understand correctly that the reason you prefer DW over 2H for a sorcerer is that Heavy Weapons passive does not apply to Overload attacks?

Sorry, answering for Asayre here. Yes, that's correct. The Heavy Weapons and Twin Blade & Blunt passives are removed when you enter Overload as you're no longer wielding the weapon. So DW is preferred because you still have the increased spell damage due to the DW bar.
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor (PvE - www.hodor-guild.eu), Chimaira (PvE)
    Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

Current vMA score (Templar): Pending return to game
    World Record for all trials pre-Thieves Guild
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj clear
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj speed run clear
    Returning to the game for Morrowind
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ezareth, for the setup listed above divines is still preferred. I checked a few calculations for Critical Damage Multiplier on the PTS and it still seems to work in the same way as on Live, namely

Critical damage modifier = 1 + (Shadow Mundus*Divines + 0.5*(1+0.02*JP)) * (1+Other Passives)

Critical damage modifier is truncated at 2 decimal places.

JP are jump points in Elfborn. They occur when you have 1, 5, 11, 17, 24, 31, 40, 49, 58, 68, 78 and 89 points in Elfborn. To clarify, JP = 1 if you have 1 point in Elfborn and JP = 9 if you have 58 points in Elfborn.

@EgoRush thanks for answering the question. It's much appreciated. Also thank you for alerting me to the change in how Twin Blade and Blunt is applied. From a quick test on the PTS, it appears that both passives Twin Blade and Blunt and Heavy Weapons are being applied in the same way, namely 5% increased tooltip damage.
  • d8rmir
    d8rmir
    ✭✭✭
    EgoRush wrote: »
    d8rmir wrote: »

Sorry, answering for Asayre here. Yes, that's correct. The Heavy Weapons and Twin Blade & Blunt passives are removed when you enter Overload as you're no longer wielding the weapon. So DW is preferred because you still have the increased spell damage due to the DW bar.

Ok thanks...two more questions then:

1) when you say "increased spell damage" you mean Torug's 2p set bonus, correct? otherwise, with both Heavy Weapons and Twin Blade & Blunt passives removed, 2H would still beat DW, right?
    2) with reference to Asayre's last spreadsheet, the value 1682 for DW spell damage includes Twin Blade & Blunt passive, doesn't it? hence the ability metric value would be smaller than the stated one in Overload mode. Still, it is higher than the ability metric with 2H due to the Torug's bonus.

As you see I am not doubting about the correctness of the results, I just want to check that I have fully understood the game mechanics.

@EgoRush thanks for answering the question. It's much appreciated. Also thank you for alerting me to the change in how Twin Blade and Blunt is applied. From a quick test on the PTS, it appears that both passives Twin Blade and Blunt and Heavy Weapons are being applied in the same way, namely 5% increased tooltip damage.

This sounds like "DW with Torug's 2p bonus will beat 2H in any case, from now on"
    Edited by d8rmir on October 21, 2015 11:47AM
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @d8rmir yes it would appear that DW with anything will beat 2H with the new update. I really liked my greatsword but it seems like it is time to go back to dual wielding swords.

Dual wielding naturally has increased spell damage even without any passives. And yes I was including the Twin Blade and Blunt passive for my previous calculation to get 1682 for spell damage from dual wielding (1335 (value for a sword) *1.2 (for dual wielding) *1.05 (Twin blade and blunt passive). Yes the ability metric decreases in overload mode and is still higher than 2H because of the extra Torug bonus and because DW is naturally higher than 2H
  • d8rmir
    d8rmir
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought that 2H was naturally higher than DW, thank you for correcting me. And thank you for confirming everything else.
    Looking forward to see if this change goes live, please keep us up-to-date.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ezareth, for the setup listed above divines is still preferred. I checked a few calculations for Critical Damage Multiplier on the PTS and it still seems to work in the same way as on Live, namely

Critical damage modifier = 1 + (Shadow Mundus*Divines + 0.5*(1+0.02*JP)) * (1+Other Passives)

Critical damage modifier is truncated at 2 decimal places.

JP are jump points in Elfborn. They occur when you have 1, 5, 11, 17, 24, 31, 40, 49, 58, 68, 78 and 89 points in Elfborn. To clarify, JP = 1 if you have 1 point in Elfborn and JP = 9 if you have 58 points in Elfborn.

@Asayre

Has anyone tested on whether using the Shadow Mundus with divines (giving you fractional benefits) change these "Jump points"?

Also are you using 11% or 12% Crit for your Thief crit value?
    From the 2.2.2 Patch Notes:

Mundus Stones
    The Thief
    Fixed an issue where this boon was incorrectly becoming less powerful as you leveled up. It will now maintain a consistent 11% net increase to your Critical and Spell Critical values.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Sharkano
    Sharkano
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quickblade says here is his setup, but then only provide stats not a setup. I have no idea how he can be at 5k spell damage while also at 24k hp and 40k magicka. Astounding numbers, but how?
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting info. Thank you for the work. TBS seems quite the well rounded setup considering the changes to thief and shadow since IC.