The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bogdan the Nightflame Undaunted set could do with a buff

EgoRush
EgoRush
✭✭✭✭
So out of some sick curiosity I tested out the Bogdan Nightflame Undaunted set - 2% chance on healing to drop a totem that heals allies. I have some brief feedback here and would love to hear anyone else's opinion on how it could be improved.

Issues:
  1. 2% proc seems incredibly low - through an entire veteran Imperial City Prison run I had it proc 4 times
  2. It heals just over 1000 health per second for 6 seconds - wow...honestly...6K healing is really going to make or break a team (that was sarcasm)
  3. The range is pretty pathetic considering Bogdan's healing adds seem to be able to snipe heal him from miles away
  4. Cosmetically, the totem is damn ugly

Potential improvements:
  1. Increase the proc chance to ~10%
  2. Increase the healing to at least 10K over 6 seconds
  3. Better range?
  4. Can't the totem look like one of the Bogdan white spirits or something more shiny?

I don't think everything needs to be changed, but it certainly needs some balancing to make it more worthwhile to use.

With people running at least 17K+ health, 6K healing over 6 seconds just seems utterly useless. Does any healer bother wearing this unless as a troll or out of sheer boredom? It is utterly pointless.

I want it so that once the totem procs it completely frees me up from healing for a short while so I can DPS like a mad man. Give me 6 seconds of rest as a healer to relieve resources and Jesus Beam something with some peace of mind that people aren't going to die too easily from my lack of BoL/Springs/Mutagen.

Or just completely remove the set so I have less chance of getting a useless shoulder piece from the Undaunted chests.
Server: EU Pact
Guild: Hodor (PvE - www.hodor-guild.eu), Chimaira (PvE)
Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

Current vMA score (Templar): Pending return to game
World Record for all trials pre-Thieves Guild
World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj clear
World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj speed run clear
Returning to the game for Morrowind
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, this set needs buffs. Just like some other undaunted sets, Maw of the Infernal for example.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord Warden set also needs buff imo.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's also an issue with the lack of healer relevant monster sets.

Basically there's just Bogdan....

DPS and tanks have quite a nice choice, even after ruling out the useless sets like Maw of the infernal etc.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • andy_s
    andy_s
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still better than Lord Warden's set :D
    Edited by andy_s on September 30, 2015 11:38AM
    World's First Cloudrest Hardmode + Speed Run + No Death w/ HODOR
    Tick-Tock Tormentor & All vHoF Achievements done w/ Chimaira
    World's First Sanctum Ophidia Difficult Mode (patch 1.5)
    World#2 vMoL All Achievements w/ Aquila Raiders
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're all so right. Maybe I should change this to a "please buff the utterly useless monster sets". Lord Warden I could see being handy in PvP raids, but it doesn't exactly boost spell resistance all that much. Perhaps if it boosted physical resistance too since the Champion System seems biased towards gimping the damage of magicka builds.

So Bogdan, Lord Warden, Maw the Infernal and Spawn of Mephala are the useless ones right? All the others I feel have a place in the game.
    Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

• FeaR Turbo
    FeaR Turbo
    Class Representative
    Agreed. Would love the Go to healing Monster cause right now its just spell damage. and the damn thing is ugly as hell haha
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Bogdan the Nightflame set sort of reflects developers vision of the "healer role".

When they play ESO, you always see their healer running around spamming Restoration Staff and light attacks. Not much else going on lol. If you play that way, than Bogdan goes of a lot.

But most healers in ESO are templars, so no spamming Restoration Staff, but maybe Healing Springs in some Trial. Half the time you're not healing as a healer, but dps'ing or using buff/support. Than Bogdan rarely proc's.

I also feel the range of the totem is tiny, the heal is silly, where it places itself to rng. Yes, several Undaunted Sets are bad. But at least tanks get 3 nice sets to pick from. As dps you also have 3 different sets to pick from. For healers there's 0 set worth equipping.

Ideally, a 2-piece set for healers shouldn't come with more healing. It should be support focused, proc on heals yes, but give a nice secondary effect, like resource or dps buff, for the team.
  • Noerknhar
    Noerknhar
    ✭✭✭
    While you're on it, buff the 2 piece bonus from Molag Kena as well please.
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol if you don't use rolling HoTs to proc Bogdan consistently.

I think that's the problem with Templar healers these days. The only thing they rely on is BoL and it's gonna be hilarious when they nerf BoL and people freak out because they don't know what else to do.

But yeah, Bogdan could use a buff. Either increase the length of the HoT or make it stronger.
    Edited by Scyantific on September 30, 2015 2:05PM
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    I think that Bogdan the Nightflame set sort of reflects developers vision of the "healer role".

When they play ESO, you always see their healer running around spamming Restoration Staff and light attacks. Not much else going on lol. If you play that way, than Bogdan goes of a lot.

But most healers in ESO are templars, so no spamming Restoration Staff, but maybe Healing Springs in some Trial. Half the time you're not healing as a healer, but dps'ing or using buff/support. Than Bogdan rarely proc's.

I also feel the range of the totem is tiny, the heal is silly, where it places itself to rng. Yes, several Undaunted Sets are bad. But at least tanks get 3 nice sets to pick from. As dps you also have 3 different sets to pick from. For healers there's 0 set worth equipping.

Ideally, a 2-piece set for healers shouldn't come with more healing. It should be support focused, proc on heals yes, but give a nice secondary effect, like resource or dps buff, for the team.

I'm inclined to agree with you, however, this instance I was running restoration staff on my Templar and keeping Rapid Regeneration and Combat Prayer up on cool down to ensure it would proc enough. The proc was still abysmal. But then going off my luck obtaining Spell Power Cure maybe I shouldn't be surprised...

I like your idea of a 2-piece bonus that procs off healing but gives a buff in some way, a damage buff would be amazing and create a perfectly viable monster set for healers. Great suggestion. ZOS - any chance you can consider such?
    Scyantific wrote: »
    Lol if you don't use rolling HoTs to proc Bogdan consistently.

I think that's the problem with Templar healers these days. The only thing they rely on is BoL and repentance and it's gonna be hilarious when they nerf BoL and people freak out because they don't know what else to do.

But yeah, Bogdan could use a buff. Either increase the length of the HoT or make it stronger.

I added a little bit in bold there for you :P

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set was never very good.
    • Even a dedicated HoT healer would not proc this very often
    • Dedicated HoT healers have to use rapid regeneration which is a marginal skill.
    • When it does proc it is immobile and has a small radius
    • The actual healing from the totem isn't bad, but isn't good enough that I'd lose an extra spellpower bonus I could always have by wearing something like Torug's Pact.
  • tisch28
    tisch28
    If you're running a ton of HoTs 2% seems to be ok for a proc rate since it should have the chance every tick and with AoE HoTs you could be popping a decent number of them and I imagine they stack. The HP restored sounds crazy poor and not worth it since you could have other stats to boost your healing. Range would also be a factor but I don't actually know the range of it.
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    tisch28 wrote: »
    If you're running a ton of HoTs 2% seems to be ok for a proc rate since it should have the chance every tick and with AoE HoTs you could be popping a decent number of them and I imagine they stack. The HP restored sounds crazy poor and not worth it since you could have other stats to boost your healing. Range would also be a factor but I don't actually know the range of it.

As mentioned I was running with Rapid Regeneration - I don't think there's a HoT out there that ticks as often...and still it proc'd 4 times in a 30 minute run keeping this up on cool down.

Even with HoTs that 2% is ridiculous. If they can buff the 2% rate of Nerien'eth for damage dealers then why not buff this currently useless totem for healers? Probably because even ZOS are aware of how useless it is and that no one uses it.

• tisch28
    tisch28
    EgoRush wrote: »
    tisch28 wrote: »

As mentioned I was running with Rapid Regeneration - I don't think there's a HoT out there that ticks as often...and still it proc'd 4 times in a 30 minute run keeping this up on cool down.

Even with HoTs that 2% is ridiculous. If they can buff the 2% rate of Nerien'eth for damage dealers then why not buff this currently useless totem for healers? Probably because even ZOS are aware of how useless it is and that no one uses it.

I was thinking as a NB healer. Refreshing path, Funnel Health, Mutagen, and healing springs would be a bunch of ticks for it to proc on. That on top of any normal heals you might throw down I would think make it proc somewhat decently, it would still need a buff to it's range and healing though to be worth anything though.

Wish my NB healer was leveled up to test this myself. With the proper buff it could fill a niche roll.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels like these sets are fillers, created for the purpose of making it harder to obtain the fancy dps shoulders.

Maw of The Infernal summoning is slow and stupid. Bogdan Nightflame set is good if you roleplay a healer in Khenarthis Roost. Molag Kena 2 piece bonus may be worth it, if you are a sorcerer with a fully charged Overload.

@Scyantific
    I'm a templar healer, and because I get caged in, trapped, snared etc. and wont be able to cast BoL in those moments, so I always keep hots up. My spell power is low, and my BoL crits for 14k+ if that got a nerf I wouldn't cry.

My QQ list of things in case of nerf:
    Blazing Spear
    Repentance
    Mystic Orb
    Combat Prayer
    Elemental Drain
    Siphon Spirit
    Inner Rage (cuz noob teams, lowbies and emergencies)

<< most of my list are for resource management of the dps and tank.
  • Kuratius
    Kuratius
    ✭✭✭
    I think bogdan is probably balanced for healers that have illustrous healing+rapid regen+siphon spirit running in 4-man content and illustrous healing+siphon spirit in trial content. At 5 ticks per second (illustrous healing is 5 ticks and you should manage a cast per second, if I'm wrong then siphon spirit should make the calculation still be valid) and 6 people you are already at 50 % proc chance per second: (1 - 0.02)^(5*6)=~ 54 % chance of not getting a proc each second, I.e. 46 % chance of proccing per second.
    Healing springs would only be slightly worse than this, and with the cooldowns being the same as the uptime, you should have it up almost constantly in a trial. In addition, it should proc the spell power cure set, so it's nice for that as well.

If the proc rate of bogdan seems low it's probably because the players are not taking damage; it can only proc if they aren't at full health when they receive a healing tick.

An interesting change might be allowing it to proc itself, like nerieneth can (it's bull**** mechanic, but it can proc itself if it hits multiple enemies and apparently counts as melee damage to boot).
    Edited by Kuratius on October 1, 2015 8:08AM
  • Yonkit
    Yonkit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Lord Warden set also needs buff imo.

I just made a thread about this today... But it's already been buried in oblivion.

Save the Lord Warden!
    Has an Alter Ego in the form of a very large quadrupedal black & white Bear.
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kuratius wrote: »
    I think bogdan is probably balanced for healers that have illustrous healing+rapid regen+siphon spirit running in 4-man content and illustrous healing+siphon spirit in trial content. At 5 ticks per second (illustrous healing is 5 ticks and you should manage a cast per second, if I'm wrong then siphon spirit should make the calculation still be valid) and 6 people you are already at 50 % proc chance per second: (1 - 0.02)^(5*6)=~ 54 % chance of not getting a proc each second, I.e. 46 % chance of proccing per second.
    Healing springs would only be slightly worse than this, and with the cooldowns being the same as the uptime, you should have it up almost constantly in a trial. In addition, it should proc the spell power cure set, so it's nice for that as well.

If the proc rate of bogdan seems low it's probably because the players are not taking damage; it can only proc if they aren't at full health when they receive a healing tick.

An interesting change might be allowing it to proc itself, like nerieneth can (it's bull**** mechanic, but it can proc itself if it hits multiple enemies and apparently counts as melee damage to boot).

If you're running with that many heals then what is the point in having some rubbish totem drop to give 6K more healing? Illustrious Healing/Rapid Regen/Siphon Spirit is already overkill with healing. Let alone if you factor in a NB healer with all their HoTs too.

My main point here isn't struggling to get it to proc, it's how darn useless it is once it does proc. It is a pointless set because the bonus you'd get from running an armour set with extra spell damage would far outweigh the need for this totem :(

• Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish i had people who would help me farm the set.
    Want it for some time already, but can't find anyone to run with.
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But... but... why?

Easiest thing to do is to wait for the next time vEH is the daily pledge and then join as many pledge groups as you can that day.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

But... but... why?

Easiest thing to do is to wait for the next time vEH is the daily pledge and then join as many pledge groups as you can that day.
    Why i would want it?
    Seems like a decent combo together with Redistribution sets.

Lots of people play as a DPS, and this stack damage upon damage. Why shouldn't a healer do the same, but focused on healing. It's more of an experimental thing to start with anyway.
    I'm playing a healer build you see often (i walk in 7/7 heavy armor). Having strange combo's seems fun, especially if it works.
    Currently i have no trouble healing VR content, but since i don't have a set i like besides Redistribution, i might as well test out other healing sets.

As for the vEH pledge. I plan on doing that, but if i can get my hands on it sooner it's always better.
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.