Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 18:00 UTC (14:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Do you think the destruction staff needs a buff?

Nadestepper
I am tired of dual wielding or using two handed melee weapons being the best choice for magicka builds. It makes no sense that a staff would be the worst option for a caster class. Staves give the worst base spell damage and don't have any abilities or passives other than weakness to elements that can buff your damage. What do you think of the current state of the destruction staff?

Edit: If you disagree with the destruction staff needing a buff please state the reasoning, as there is currently plenty of reasoning posted for the destruction staff needing a buff and not very many reasons against it.
Edited by Nadestepper on September 29, 2015 7:41PM

Do you think the destruction staff needs a buff? 161 votes

Destruction Staff needs a buff.
78%
MorbashJoy_DivisionLegacyDMEvandusSunraGodspeedmilesrodneymcneely2_ESOryanmjmcevoy_ESOdrzycki_ESOMojmirArmitasbsmorrowb14_ESOcschwingeb14_ESOForestd16b14_ESOLiosoShadesofkinKalikiFaulgorSpringt-Über-ZwergeMorvul 127 votes
Destruction Staff is fine the way it is.
17%
agabahmeatshieldb14_ESOkendellking_chaosb14_ESOlolo_01b16_ESOAra_ValleriaDeanTheCatValen_ByteAzarath_tiberiusInig0jakobandersen84prb18_ESOShinraJade1986GarethjolnirResipsa131JDarisekoTomatoStrider_RoshinTheDarkShadowBloodgharmGreenSoup2HoT 28 votes
Destruction Staff should be nerfed.
3%
GilvothMrFilouLorkhanandromedafallsLevo18notimetocare 6 votes
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not just the base spell damage.... many of the skills & passives have had so many continuous nerfs its truly remarkable.

Wall of elements - Now useless. Crap damage and their solution was to make the rubbish damage last 2 seconds longer!

Crushing shock - nerfed damage

Force Pulse - Now hardly procs its AoE component due to the changes to elemental effects.

Impulse - Now half the size of steel tornado, and a fraction of the damage.

Elemental effects proc's..... down so low that the effects from most destro skills rarely proc EG: Force pulse.

Clench/Reach etc - Barely usable even with a master staff... now useless due to masters staves being obsolete as they are V14. A PvP novelty skill.

Elemental drain is about the only remaining decent skill. If my Sorc had a proper spammable dps skill then I'd drop Crushy as well.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
    Options
  • twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    Flaminir wrote: »
    It's not just the base spell damage.... many of the skills & passives have had so many continuous nerfs its truly remarkable.

Wall of elements - Now useless. Crap damage and their solution was to make the rubbish damage last 2 seconds longer!

Force Pulse - Now hardly procs its AoE component due to the changes to elemental effects.

Elemental effects proc's..... down so low that the effects from most destro skills rarely proc EG: Force pulse.

Clench/Reach etc - Barely usable even with a master staff... now useless due to masters staves being obsolete as they are V14. A PvP novelty skill.

Elemental drain is about the only remaining decent skill. If my Sorc had a proper spammable dps skill then I'd drop Crushy as well.

well said Sir

why is the base damage of 2-hand staff less than the base damage of 2-hand melee. makes no sense. the ranged vs melee argument doesn't work in this game when people are spamming steel tornado at 12.5 meters...

Options
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    The destruction staff should, I don't know, how should I put this, um, hmm, ah.. cause destruction.

As currently implemented, it feels like its very difficult to get it to do damage on par with, uh, anything else. It feels mentally like jumping through hoops to get it to live up to its name at all.

It has a bunch of utility spells, and heavy attacking doesn't feel right or valuable. Using the thing is an exercise in clumsiness and strange maths to determine tiny percentages that sort of kind of make it viable.

It doesn't feel like a destruction staff. Just how badly do you have to design something to screw up a fire staff?

It shoots fire. Things get burned.
    Edited by rb2001 on September 28, 2015 4:55PM
    Options
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    One the two caster-weapons (destru & resto) needs a major hitting, spamable ability LIKE Wrecking Blow, to make stamina builds less owerpowered. It is a pity that only 2h has a really "hard hitting" skill, while maybe the channeled 2w-ability comes close. The bows Aimed Shot/other morph hits even harder than ANY caster-weapon, which imo is a design flaw...

Caster weapons lack anything like Wrecking Blow, Flurry or Aimed Shot. Here, sth. has to be done!
    Options
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the basic design isn't toooo bad of most of the skills... it's the numbers that screws it all up.

And I'd take away the extra damage from fire...... that does SO much harm to build diversity! The other elemental effects need to be valid, but they never will be until the DPS is the same... because at the bottom line that's what it comes down to.

Wall: Ground based AoE... fine with that... needs a buff to damage and it'll be fine. Maybe extra element effect Fire: Increased vulnerability to further fire damage, Ice: Snare, Shock: drains magicka.

Force Shock: Design is fine.... needs a small/medium buff to the DPS, and for the AoE component of pulse to work more often again.

Impulse: Either buff this or nerf Steel Tornado. Probably a bit of both. Both should be 8metre range. Have steel tornado keep its execute, but give Impulse an escalating DoT that gets stronger the longer it runs.

Drain: Fine as it is.

Destructive Reach: The only skill I'd possibly change. Force shock counts as a projectile... so maybe have this as a beam. A torrent of fire/Ice/Lightning would be epic! 1 morph as a knockback type as now, the other a beam with escalating damage based on how long you hold it.

GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely.

I'm with Flaminir. The skills are either useless or completely overshadowed by stamina counterparts. Passives are gimmicks, nothing more. And adding insult to injury, the spell damage is highly outperformed by DW/2H, and you're not even free to use your elemental staff of choice but regard the skills.

Overall, terrible.
    Options
  • Nadestepper

I agree with everything in this post. Most of the skills for the destruction staff are not even worth putting in skill slots due to low damage or the effects are worthless. I think that wall of elements is probably the absolute worst spell in the game.
    Options
  • Nadestepper
    To be fair, the basic design isn't toooo bad of most of the skills... it's the numbers that screws it all up.

And I'd take away the extra damage from fire...... that does SO much harm to build diversity! The other elemental effects need to be valid, but they never will be until the DPS is the same... because at the bottom line that's what it comes down to.

Wall: Ground based AoE... fine with that... needs a buff to damage and it'll be fine. Maybe extra element effect Fire: Increased vulnerability to further fire damage, Ice: Snare, Shock: drains magicka.

Force Shock: Design is fine.... needs a small/medium buff to the DPS, and for the AoE component of pulse to work more often again.

Impulse: Either buff this or nerf Steel Tornado. Probably a bit of both. Both should be 8metre range. Have steel tornado keep its execute, but give Impulse an escalating DoT that gets stronger the longer it runs.

Drain: Fine as it is.

Destructive Reach: The only skill I'd possibly change. Force shock counts as a projectile... so maybe have this as a beam. A torrent of fire/Ice/Lightning would be epic! 1 morph as a knockback type as now, the other a beam with escalating damage based on how long you hold it.

I don't think that nerfing steel tornado would be the way to go but I do think that Impulse could use a little buff to put it on par with other abilities. I don't see why magicka builds have no weapon abilities that are very usable. They could at least add magicka morphs to some of the one handed sword abilities or something just to add more options for magicka builds. Right now magicka builds have to only use class abilities or abilities in trees like mages guild and assault/support.
    Options
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a major defile effect added to one of the skills like Elemental Blockade since the DOT is pretty pathetic and Magicka users need a defile.
    NA/PC
    Options
  • revonine
    revonine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the fact that magicka users use dual wield or 2 handed for more damage tells me something is wrong. Staffs should be the go to choice for magicka users and they just aren't.
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with everything in this post. Most of the skills for the destruction staff are not even worth putting in skill slots due to low damage or the effects are worthless. I think that wall of elements is probably the absolute worst spell in the game.

I haven't tested this and I'm not sure if it would be a bug or not but I saw someone say in a guild chat recently that elemental blockade stacks, which would make it strong in the sewers. I don't really know if destruction needs a buff or not as I haven't used any of the skills for a while. Not because I think they're bad or anything, it's just that I don't really do aoe, and there are so many better skills to carry imo. I can't even fit crushing shock on my bar for pvp. I guess the skills would need a buff for me to want to use them. Or maybe it's just because the skills suit pve more than pvp.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruction Staff should be nerfed.
    I wanna be op. Buff what I use even though its just fine!
    Options
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and to all stated above....

it should count for two set items
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
    Options
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I haven't tested this and I'm not sure if it would be a bug or not but I saw someone say in a guild chat recently that elemental blockade stacks, which would make it strong in the sewers. I don't really know if destruction needs a buff or not as I haven't used any of the skills for a while. Not because I think they're bad or anything, it's just that I don't really do aoe, and there are so many better skills to carry imo. I can't even fit crushing shock on my bar for pvp. I guess the skills would need a buff for me to want to use them. Or maybe it's just because the skills suit pve more than pvp.

It used to.

But doesn't stack any longer I believe.

But then they nerfed it when people were wiping whole zergs as they crossed the threshhold into keeps in Cyro...

Unless it's been reverted back and I haven't noticed (Which is entirely possible as I haven't wasted a skill point on it in a while since it got nerfed to hell and back.
    Edited by Flaminir on September 29, 2015 10:30AM
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Options
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no right option in the poll to choose.

Really bug when 2H\DW adds spell dmg (and even more then staves) should be fixed.
    Destro now has good set of active skills and exelent passives.
    Options
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see the range on impulse increased back to its standard level. Now that we can no longer block cast without going oom it would be nice to be able to skirt the cluster out of harms way with impulse.

I need to test blockade a bit more but it seems to be doing okay now. You have to use impulse with blockade to get it to work. Hit impulse twice and everything should be set up for the 20% extra damage on burning targets. Once you have that going hit force pulse and it will hit up to 2 extra targets. If you have a DK tank making mob piles it should do some good dps. Without it's really hard to get a good carpet down.
    Edited by Armitas on September 29, 2015 11:53AM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Options
  • Nadestepper
    I wanna be op. Buff what I use even though its just fine!

How is it fine? How is the destruction staff currently on par with the other choices of weapons? How does having less spell power and less spell crit with a weapon for spell power based characters make any sense? State the reasons as to why this weapon is "just fine", also if you think the destruction staff is fine the way it is you should have voted the second option rather than the third option.
    Options
  • Nadestepper

Really bug when 2H\DW adds spell dmg (and even more then staves) should be fixed.

Which active skills do you think are good? Which passives do you think are excellent? How and what destruction staff skills are on par with other weapon skills? Please be more detailed with your responses. I also don't think that the spell damage is a bug. Spell damage comes directly from the damage stat from the weapon, same as physical damage. Currently a two handed weapon will give the user over 200 more spell power than the staff without counting certain spell power percent increases given by passives in things like the mages guild tree and class trees.
    Edited by Nadestepper on September 29, 2015 2:18PM
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the passives aren't very good. People don't care about fully charged heavy attacks.
    Options
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Passives in the skill tree aren't quite what they ought to be, what's more, they really need to do something to boost using Shock or Frost. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fire staff, but it shouldn't be the *only* choice.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
    Options
  • Nadestepper
    Even the passives aren't very good. People don't care about fully charged heavy attacks.

The time it takes to weave a heavy attack compared to how much damage it does makes heavy attacks not worth it. They are also easily blockable/dodgeable. The only staff that a heavy attack may be worthwhile over a light/medium weave is the lightning staff. It also only returns mana on hit so if the target dodges the heavy weave, then no mana will be returned, again the lighting staff heavy weave will work better for this and return mana when the heavy weave is completed.
    Options
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with most of the people here, the destro staff line of skills has been nerfed/altered to the point that I only use 2 skills out of the line.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
    Options
  • phaseadept
    phaseadept
    ✭✭✭
    The Destruction staff should be on par with the 2h weapon. I'm not sure why it isn't, and really it should offer the highest spell damage buff of any weapon choice. It's a shame to see so many primary magika users running around with swords. I rarely see anyone use a destruction staff in PvP as its only benefit is magika regeneration weave.
    Options
  • phaseadept
    phaseadept
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Is the destruction staff being actively looked at behind the scenes?
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's more than urgent, that destruction staff needs buffs and basically some overhauls even.
    The actives are weak, the passives even weaker.

It mainly needs damage buffs in my opinion, but also functional overhauls.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And destruction staff lacks synergies.
    Elemental Drain for example doesn't proc on most destruction staff abilities. Wall of Elements and the Destructive touch DoT don't restore anything. Now it would be too strong if wall of elements and things like ash cloud or lightning splash would restore X amount of Magicka every 0,5 seconds.

That's why elemental drain needs 2 effects. it's normal restore on a direct hit, but also a very very tiny amount of Magicka restored on damage over time effects, provided they are elemental. Maybe like 0,1% of your maximum Magicka would be fine. This is something I'm missing since the game exists.
    Edited by Dracane on September 29, 2015 4:04PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

actually i use shock based ones on my storm sorc in pvp clusters, makes a mess
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

Options
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭

Which active skills do you think are good? Which passives do you think are excellent? How and what destruction staff skills are on par with other weapon skills? Please be more detailed with your responses. I also don't think that the spell damage is a bug. Spell damage comes directly from the damage stat from the weapon, same as physical damage. Currently a two handed weapon will give the user over 200 more spell power than the staff without counting certain spell power percent increases given by passives in things like the mages guild tree and class trees.
    exellent passives:
    1 penetrating magic = free enemy resist debuf for destro damage which can stack with other debuffs
    2 elemental force = free effects/DotS without non-boss immunities (2H or DW can apply bleed but undead mobs are immune)
    3 destro expert = totaly OP passive as it returns really tons of magika
    4 and if you managed to run out of magika (it's really very difficult with destro) you can recharge with full heavy 10% faster then eny jther weapon.
    good actives:
    1 touch distant instant attack + DoT + CC
    2 forse shock - may be the best 28m spam
    3 weakness to elements - either endless debuff or returning magika debuf
    4 elemental ring - still one of the best AoE with destro passives (lots of effect proc + magika return)
    Options
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a theory crafter by any means - and by that I mean I have trouble with double digit addition, OKRRR? - but my feeling is that the Destruction Staff skill line in and of itself doesn't synergize well with class skill lines.

Am I way off the mark here?
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

exellent passives:
    1 penetrating magic = free enemy resist debuf for destro damage which can stack with other debuffs
    2 elemental force = free effects/DotS without non-boss immunities (2H or DW can apply bleed but undead mobs are immune)
    3 destro expert = totaly OP passive as it returns really tons of magika
    4 and if you managed to run out of magika (it's really very difficult with destro) you can recharge with full heavy 10% faster then eny jther weapon.
    good actives:
    1 touch distant instant attack + DoT + CC
    2 forse shock - may be the best 28m spam
    3 weakness to elements - either endless debuff or returning magika debuf
    4 elemental ring - still one of the best AoE with destro passives (lots of effect proc + magika return)

Heavy attacks don't restore 10% Magicka and are not fast, they are very VERY slow. Restoration staff heavy attack is much faster and restores more, but both is a DPS killer.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options