Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Do you think the destruction staff needs a buff?

• twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    Destruction Staff needs a buff.
    we all seem to agree destruction staff needs love...

but...how long do you think it will take?????

right now Stamina > Magicka builds for damage.

base damage of all 2-hand weapons (2-hander, bow, staff) need to be all the same, that would be a fair start.
    Options
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flaminir wrote: »
    It's not just the base spell damage.... many of the skills & passives have had so many continuous nerfs its truly remarkable.

Wall of elements - Now useless. Crap damage and their solution was to make the rubbish damage last 2 seconds longer!

Crushing shock - nerfed damage

Force Pulse - Now hardly procs its AoE component due to the changes to elemental effects.

Impulse - Now half the size of steel tornado, and a fraction of the damage.

Elemental effects proc's..... down so low that the effects from most destro skills rarely proc EG: Force pulse.

Clench/Reach etc - Barely usable even with a master staff... now useless due to masters staves being obsolete as they are V14. A PvP novelty skill.

Elemental drain is about the only remaining decent skill. If my Sorc had a proper spammable dps skill then I'd drop Crushy as well.

this sums it up perfectly.

personally, I'm kinda fine with the idea that melee weapons give more spell damage then a staff... while not 100% logical, it's a decent tradeoff for game-balance reasons.

But most of the skills and effects of the destrostaff skills simply pale in comparison to the alternatives
    Options
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruction Staff is fine the way it is.
    Let's all remember why the weapon was nerfed it was OP as hell. Now it's ONLY stamina counter is the bow not DW or 2handed and is damn well not one hand and shield cause minus the passives it's pure trash. It's ranged you can compare it to Melee. You want Melee level damage push for arcane Melee weapons.

Much like bow destro staff have poor powers, with near useless passives. Yes the one second cast time of snipe is way stronger then any destro power unless you were weaving (cause who weaves right). What you need are Melee weapons you can ready raining down more death then a bow with weaving with four chances of damage crit (crushing shocks 3 and the light attack), buffing it back will be a mistake.

Side note class powers hit a hell of a lot hard

TL;RD Melee magic weapons is the only real fix here.

Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wrobbel Eric, are you listening to this thread at all? I think this post said it all, Destruction Staff really needs some of the recent changes rolled back IMO. The changes to Frost and Shock staff were welcomed, but the reduction to Elemental Effects proc was not necessary at all. Please reconsider the changes to the Elemental Effects proc at the very least, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eh little bit don't want to go over bored and have fire staff plague the game again with nothing but impule and fire ring spam. Bad enough with the wrecking blow spam the steel tornado spam the crystal frag spam the fear spam and so on.
    Options
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destruction Staff is fine the way it is.
    Imo destro staff is fine in general. As a healer I'm always happy to see when my group members have a destro staff equipped because it makes everything just easier.
    But I agree that WoE needs to be buffed.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh little bit don't want to go over bored and have fire staff plague the game again with nothing but impule and fire ring spam.

Actually I think Elemental Ring has lost it's luster since the DoT refreshes each time which negates the reason for using it over Pulsar; the only time Elemental Ring should be used over Pulsar is if you don't spam it. I think Pulsar is now the 'go to' if you want to spam it since it reduces enemies Health 10% and also works with Power Surge heals, whereas with Elemental Ring being a DoT, it does not.

Edited by ADarklore on November 29, 2015 12:41PM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that destro staff needs a buff, but not through the raising of the weapon damage on it. And until we get a magicka melee weapon set, I think that leaving melee weapons with higher spell and weapon damage if OK.

Destro changes:

Impulse to 8m radius

WoE buffed, either through more damage, better ability to apply status effects, or both. Why does frost wall apply a snare rather than just applying chilled? Because right now, it has very little ability to apply chilled (2%chance per tick per target according to tooltip)

Passive for magicka regen halved or turned into a magicka regen over time, but applies to all kills, not just destro ability kills. Just like the 2h passive for stam kills

Passive for spell penetration applies to all attacks, and possibly reduced (this gives more damage without spell damage, and doesn't affect healing. Which IMO feels very destro-like)

The elemental status effect passive is doubled, completely separate from and WoE changes
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with most of the people here, the destro staff line of skills has been nerfed/altered to the point that I only use 2 skills out of the line.

I only use one. Crushing Shock, I do like the skill, very useful as a ranged interrupt it's especially useful in this patch because of the damage nerf you'll always see sorcs trying to hardcast Crystal Fragments and spam you to death (this patch is the spam patch, which sucks) and to get people off res duty. i love it for that reason, but it needs better damage for sure.

Destructive reach: is just expensive.

Wall of elements: trash.

Elemental ring: needs more damage and the dot removed. people typically spam it so the dot is rather useless.

Force Pulse: hardly procs = useless

Aside from that i have a major issue with the lack of spell damage destruction staffs offer. staffs should be the go to weapon for magicka users, but that is not so.....

Oh and also change it back to where Try focus passive procs with medium attacks. no one uses fully charged heavy attacks, stop trying to push it.
    Edited by Lucky28 on November 29, 2015 3:20PM
    Invictus
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's all remember why the weapon was nerfed it was OP as hell. Now it's ONLY stamina counter is the bow not DW or 2handed and is damn well not one hand and shield cause minus the passives it's pure trash. It's ranged you can compare it to Melee. You want Melee level damage push for arcane Melee weapons.

Much like bow destro staff have poor powers, with near useless passives. Yes the one second cast time of snipe is way stronger then any destro power unless you were weaving (cause who weaves right). What you need are Melee weapons you can ready raining down more death then a bow with weaving with four chances of damage crit (crushing shocks 3 and the light attack), buffing it back will be a mistake.

Side note class powers hit a hell of a lot hard

TL;RD Melee magic weapons is the only real fix here.

What I remember is that It was nerfed to uselessness because stamina tears are OP as all snip.This was the reason for most major nerfs and game ruining changes. Stam tears are only now beginning to be slightly brought in line.It is a long hard process though.
    Edited by PBpsy on November 29, 2015 4:21PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pls don't change the skills. Make destro passivs (2nd and last one) work while equiped cause that would change a lot. Would mean less damage on destro but the advantage of range, more penetration and sustain overall compared to DW/2H.
    After that you can think about changing actives.
    Edited by ChefZero on November 29, 2015 4:58PM
    PC EU - DC only
    Options