Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eclipse is a completely broken skill, Let me Count the Ways...

dodgehopper_ESO
dodgehopper_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
If I didn't think of one, and you know more please feel free to add to the list. The big question I have is why would anyone ever use this skill when it is in such a sorry state.

1. This skill is a debuff, but is treated as a crowd control. Because of this it actually helps give players cc immunity rather than be the debuff it is meant to be.
2. This skill rarely allows you to target the difficult enemies, in other words the ones it would actually be useful on (NPC bosses, minibosses, and toughs).
3. Despite being clearly designed as a counter to defensive posture and dragon scales, this skill ironically causes Dragon Knights to be STRONGER when they have their reflect up. Yes this is correct, if you eclipse a dragon scaled DK you buff his speed x1000. Does this make sense to anyone?
4. Despite being part of the 'Dps skill line' for Templars, this skill does no actual dps, and actually slows your dps down because you have to fight to get a target you can actually hit with it.

ZOS in your list of powers that need reworking, you seriously need to look at this power. It has been broken for a year, and it actually seems like it is getting worse. It is terrible in pvp and pve. It serves no real purpose because it doesn't even work for the purpose it is served. If it had a damage component FIRST and this secondary effect secondarily it might have some role. This power has gotten worse rather than better since release. Please for goodness sake fix it.
US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
<And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had another thought how this skill could be useful. Make it an AoE and possibly also a mild cc. Then and only then might it actually have some use. The fact that it is treated like a CC makes me think that perhaps it SHOULD be one. This skill needs to stop pretending to be something it is not.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eclipse has its limited uses.

Against players that don't know the skill it is quite effective.

1v1 against casters will annoy them and break their rotations.

Mostly it is broken though, yes.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭
    Come PvP with me and I'll show you it's uses. *evilgrin*
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Imdrefan wrote: »

Sure, let me bring my DK so you can buff me with a speed buff.
    <And plenty more>
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I just slot it for fun and giggles, it's not completely useless it is just irrelevant. I slot it in Vet CoA against atronach adds and in cyrodiil to see people gank themselves.... I join groups as a healer, so I can't be blamed for slotting skills that "support" can I ? xD
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was SO disappointed when I found out Eclipse didn't work on bosses... what is the point?

Edited by Emma_Overload on August 12, 2015 10:27PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The big question I have is why would anyone ever use this skill when it is in such a sorry state.
    It's good for killing stamina nb, since they often don't break it and their ultimates soul harvest and soul tether both get reflected be it.
  • Isbilen
    Isbilen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imdrefan wrote: »

Sure, let me bring my DK so you can buff me with a speed buff.

You act like the movement speed bug is a good thing for the DK, but most often it's just 30K+ fall damage.
  • Azurulia
    Azurulia
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not one to generally say this, but in this particular instance...

OP? Yeah. He mad.
    Edited by Azurulia on August 12, 2015 10:58PM
    Criminal Scum:
    50 Breton Templar Healer: Olivine Azshara | 42 Orc Dragonknight Tank: Olivine Claremont | 50 Kahjiit Safe Cracker: Cracks-The-Safes | 50 Kahjiit Serial Killer: Cereal-The-Killer <Current Bounty: 1,231,318 gold>

"Whoever said crime doesn't pay clearly hasn't met Azu." -@Sloris
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eclipse is broken in a totaly wonderfull way really. Is there something it completly isnt bugging out?
    :]
  • Kaspar
    Kaspar
    ✭✭✭
    The Unstable Core morph does base ~1800 damage to nearby enemies so it's fun in Cyrodiil when there's a bunch up of enemy players... it synergizes in a chain reaction. Pop corn anyone? It's a bit aggravating that it won't cast all the time though it's great when you see a Sorcerer explode himself.
  • Paradox
    Paradox
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a CC... It's the same as negate in almost every conceivable way.
    Ebonheart Pact
    @iHateReloads
    Tank And Spank - DragonKnight
    I've quit the game until ZoS stops acting like the community are children, and start actually listening to us.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's so good ZoS nerfed it. In 2.1, only one eclipse can be active.

That was sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear.
    Edited by Joy_Division on August 13, 2015 6:10AM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kaspar wrote: »
    The Unstable Core morph does base ~1800 damage to nearby enemies so it's fun in Cyrodiil when there's a bunch up of enemy players... it synergizes in a chain reaction. Pop corn anyone? It's a bit aggravating that it won't cast all the time though it's great when you see a Sorcerer explode himself.

That might be true as a heavily specified mage build but with cc immunity such as it is, you must admit that it takes heroic effort in a cyrodiil battle to actually fire it off.

I'm revisiting this old topic I've posted about because nothing actually has been done about this ability at all. I'm bringing this topic back to light for this reason.
    <And plenty more>
  • Nallenil
    Nallenil
    ✭✭✭
    Eclipse: All ranks of Eclipse now have the area of effect time bomb from Unstable Core. More than one caster can apply time bombs, so two casters could each apply a time bomb.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I didn't think of one, and you know more please feel free to add to the list. The big question I have is why would anyone ever use this skill when it is in such a sorry state.

1. This skill is a debuff, but is treated as a crowd control. Because of this it actually helps give players cc immunity rather than be the debuff it is meant to be.
    2. This skill rarely allows you to target the difficult enemies, in other words the ones it would actually be useful on (NPC bosses, minibosses, and toughs).
    3. Despite being clearly designed as a counter to defensive posture and dragon scales, this skill ironically causes Dragon Knights to be STRONGER when they have their reflect up. Yes this is correct, if you eclipse a dragon scaled DK you buff his speed x1000. Does this make sense to anyone?
    4. Despite being part of the 'Dps skill line' for Templars, this skill does no actual dps, and actually slows your dps down because you have to fight to get a target you can actually hit with it.

ZOS in your list of powers that need reworking, you seriously need to look at this power. It has been broken for a year, and it actually seems like it is getting worse. It is terrible in pvp and pve. It serves no real purpose because it doesn't even work for the purpose it is served. If it had a damage component FIRST and this secondary effect secondarily it might have some role. This power has gotten worse rather than better since release. Please for goodness sake fix it.

Sounds like #3 is a bug, but there are suggestions on the table for fixing the ability in general if ZOS decides it wants to do so. One of my suggestions for modest changes to improve templars includes this fun item:

Reclassify Eclipse and its morphs as non-CC abilities that cannot be removed by Break Free. They could still be cleansed/purged.

This would make it much more useful in PvP. Would be even better if it *couldn't* be cleanse/purged but I think just getting it as non-CC would be hard enough to sell to ZOS.
    Edited by tinythinker on August 13, 2015 1:39PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • ZOS_Julien
    Thread moved in Combat section.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nallenil wrote: »
    Eclipse: All ranks of Eclipse now have the area of effect time bomb from Unstable Core. More than one caster can apply time bombs, so two casters could each apply a time bomb.

I'm actually aware of this change, but it doesn't solve the issue that most enemies are CC immune and therefore Eclipse Immune. In the time it takes to actually target someone (or an npc) with this ability, you could have just actually done real dps or real debuffing (dark flare for instance). This is the fatal flaw with this skill. Additionally, this skill can be CC Broken and Purged, which is absolutely ridiculous. At least with purge it forces a decision on the part of a player/team whether they keep purges going. Its a fair counter but its not a free get out of jail cc immunity. As someone stated earlier yes it is a glitch/bug with the DK speed boost. My point is that even excluding this glitch/bug issue the skill is and has always been utterly broken. Its a great idea that's never worked and when you compare it to reflective scales there is no comparison which power is exponentially better. The thing that really annoys me about this is that Eclipse was clearly designed as a counter to Scales & Defensive Posture. The Dk-Scales-Speed-Bug just made me post about this topic yet again.
    <And plenty more>
  • Killa4hire89
    Killa4hire89
    ✭✭
    I personally feel that eclipse would be an awesome skill if they would remove the cc from it. DK reflect doesn't feed cc immunity to their opponent and neither should eclipse or its mprphs. Amazing when used on a sorcs atro though :p
  • Kaliki
    Kaliki
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paradox wrote: »
    It is a CC... It's the same as negate in almost every conceivable way.

No its not.

Considering you can only cast it on one player at a time the "C" that stands for Crowd doesn't really seem to fit any more.
    Nor does the "C" that stands for Control since players can still run around and cast plenty of abilities even when affected by it.
    - Templars: Slower by Design® -
  • kungmoo
    kungmoo
    ✭✭✭
    another bug with eclipse you missed.... though its one that affects the target not the caster

if you use a channeled skill while hit with eclipse it will animation lock you when it reflects it back at you
    most notable during round 7 of VDSA when you try to use radiant destruction to burn down the boss when he gets below 30% and he casts it on you mid channel... have to roll dodge to be able to do anything at that point.. if your skill doesn't kill you first :smiley:

Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them. -Edward W. Howe