The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Hardened Armor

Brightxdawn
Brightxdawn
✭✭✭
Quick question on the spiked armor morph hardened armor. New effect Damage Shield on activation. What does this mean?
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick question on the spiked armor morph hardened armor. New effect Damage Shield on activation. What does this mean?

When you use the ability it will put a shield on you that will absorb up to 4% of your max health, if I remember correctly.
  • DeanTheCat
    DeanTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't use this morph if I were you. There is currently a bug regarding damage shields in which any damage that pierces the shield deals full unmitigated damage to the user of the damage shield.

Example:

Tom has 10000HP and 27000 armor. Tom uses Spiked Armor. Tom now has 32000 armor (50% physical damage mitigation). Jerry hits Tom for 12000 tooltip physical damage. Tom takes only 6000 damage due to his high armor rating.

Tom now decides to morph the ability to Hardened Armor. Tom now activates Hardened Armor. Tom now has a 400 point damage shield (4% of max HP) along with 32000 armor. Jerry attacks Tom again, with the same 12000 damage tooltip physical attack. Tom's damage shield absorbs 400 damage and is shattered, and the remaining 11600 damage hits Tom unmitigated. Tom then dies due to only having 10000 HP.

So basically, if you took this morph, you'll just be essentially killing yourself.
    Dean the Cat
    Somewhat Insane Puddicat
    EU-PC Megaserver; Ebonheart Pact, Alliance Rank 34
    This one hails from far Singapore, excuse this one for his high pings. He also apologizes for any formatting/spelling errors, as he tends to answer using a mobile device.

Insanity is the price of Knowledge. Herma-Mora and Sheogorath, this one bows before thee.

This one does not advocate for any class to be nerfed. There are far deeper underlying issues then a simple "Class Imbalance". The Champion System is the problem. Not classes.

Please read this before creating yet another nerf thread.

My guides:
  • drzycki_ESO
    drzycki_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    DeanTheCat wrote: »
    I wouldn't use this morph if I were you. There is currently a bug regarding damage shields in which any damage that pierces the shield deals full unmitigated damage to the user of the damage shield.

Example:

Tom has 10000HP and 27000 armor. Tom uses Spiked Armor. Tom now has 32000 armor (50% physical damage mitigation). Jerry hits Tom for 12000 tooltip physical damage. Tom takes only 6000 damage due to his high armor rating.

Tom now decides to morph the ability to Hardened Armor. Tom now activates Hardened Armor. Tom now has a 400 point damage shield (4% of max HP) along with 32000 armor. Jerry attacks Tom again, with the same 12000 damage tooltip physical attack. Tom's damage shield absorbs 400 damage and is shattered, and the remaining 11600 damage hits Tom unmitigated. Tom then dies due to only having 10000 HP.

So basically, if you took this morph, you'll just be essentially killing yourself.

This is the first I have heard of this. I wish bugs like this were more widely known.

• Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the first I have heard of this. I wish bugs like this were more widely known.

It's not a bug; it is the way that absorb shields work because "normal" absorb shields are much higher than 400, to stay at this ex. If you think about a typical magicka sorc, you'll have a 12.000 dmg shield which is working the same way.

Damage that goes through the absorb shield is always unmitigated and never crits. That is why you see some classes spamming their shield every few seconds, in between their damage skills as they often have no armor at all. Since last patch much has changed. Would be a wall of text, so look for "hardened ward", "blazing shield", 1.6 patch notes by using forum search, pls!
  • BigglesworthPhD
    Wait, what? I'm new to the game (PS4) and I use this morph pretty regularly on my DK when tanking. I should not be using this ability now because I take more damage?
  • Kobaal
    Kobaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volatile Armor is the better morph. If you want a damage shield use Igneous Shield.
    Edited by Kobaal on June 30, 2015 7:21PM
    Kobaal - VR16 Dragon Knight - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Shadowborn - VR16 NightBlade - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Stormborn- VR3 Sorcerer - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Fat Old Templar - lvl 19 Templar - PC [NA] BwB
  • Brightxdawn
    Brightxdawn
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of great info thanks guys.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a bug; it is the way that absorb shields work because "normal" absorb shields are much higher than 400, to stay at this ex. If you think about a typical magicka sorc, you'll have a 12.000 dmg shield which is working the same way.

Damage that goes through the absorb shield is always unmitigated and never crits. That is why you see some classes spamming their shield every few seconds, in between their damage skills as they often have no armor at all. Since last patch much has changed. Would be a wall of text, so look for "hardened ward", "blazing shield", 1.6 patch notes by using forum search, pls!

the overflow dmg can crit. the part eaten up by the shields though can not (blocking chars cant be critted too btw)

quotuing myself from another thread
    Tankqull wrote: »

cls displays cunsumed shields and critts when hitting an opponent, i quite often see a crit applied to the overflow dmg creating dmg far above my possible crit dmg with that attack even though a part of my dmg should have allready been consumed.
    here is an example of it:
    7ZzEzbW.png
    firestaff heavy attacknormally crits for 4-8k depending on the opponent - eventhough 1,4k of its base dmg is consumed it crits for above 12k

Edited by Tankqull on June 30, 2015 9:53PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"