Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Is ESO console ready without Addons?

• GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play with addons, but could imagine playing without addons.
    I can play without add-ons and have done so, but add-ons are definitely value-added.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I would love to have addons on console, but will live without them.
    But it is Sony and Microsoft that do not allow them ZOS would have them if this was not the case.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft does allow them but what isn't allowed is for one developer to change or augment another developers game. If ZOS decides to put add-ons as free optional DLC then it works.

Don't blame Microsoft and Sony for a ZOS oversight. The ZOS developers should have build the game to allow any add-ins to cert with ZOS and automatically appear in the user interface with any Monday or Thursday update.

If a add-on isn't updated then ZOS would remove it from an update. It's that simple...it's a ZOS oversight not the console market.

You don't over market a game for PC and console and forget to build in support and later...over a year later not have anything at all. No BETA has even started.

Sorry I'm just taking my frustration out that should be directed at ZOS and not you. Don't take any of this personal
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 29, 2015 6:50PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are some addons I cannot do without. I wouldn't play if these addons didn't exist.
    Absolutely wouldn't play without certain "addons" that are needed to provide basic game info about what is even happening in ESO. I might otherwise deal with the poorly optimized user interface layout and lack of essentials like inventory filters, but not being able to even see how hard I'm hitting an enemy, or any real-time feedback on the fight, or even a combat log tab? No way. I have a thread related to this one in my signature for any interested in the conversation :).
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are some addons I cannot do without. I wouldn't play if these addons didn't exist.
    driosketch wrote: »
    The thing about add ons, once you start using, it's hard to play without.

That basically says it all as to how lackluster the default options and features are for eso in the user interface, and just how badly it needs an overhaul.

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerf the ability to create polls. Please. This poll is a great example for why I ask.
    Options
  • Borders
    Borders
    ✭✭
    That's why I like games that do not support add ons in the first place. While I appreciate the free and hard work people put in form the community to just make the game a little (if not much more) enjoyable for the base it shows a bit of laziness on the developer side. Consistently developers leave the "add on" folder open as a way to let the community have some effect on the games design. Truth be told many developers leave it up to the community to fix full fledged holes in their ui. It has become a trend that I really do not like.

Personally I think that making your ui crisp, clean, engaging, and easy to navigate should be more of priority from day one. If your not willing to do this then lose a customer. FFXIV first incarnation had this problem and many others and restart needed to happen. I think Warframe in the last half year really put the most into making the ui appealing while listening to player input.
    Options
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play with three add-ons (Research Assistant, LootDrop, and Slightly Improved Experience Bar). But from what I understand they're incorporating LootDrop into the console UI. Of the remaining two, Research Assistant would be hard to live without. But I could probably live without Slightly Improved Experience Bar if I had to.
    Options
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »
    Seraphyel wrote: »
    You can easily play the game effectively without any of the many addons...

No, you can't.

You can play the game casually without addons, but you are neither effective nor efficient.

Prove it? You keep wanting Zenimax to implement your training wheels into the game, yet you still cannot fattern that many does NOT need those training wheels which you -require- to play the game.

Claiming you can't play the game effectively without addons is just sheer ignorance. You can easily and fine do so, don't blame your own need for addons on everyone else. Because -we- do not need them.

As said earlier to you in the former thread, if you want your training wheels then buy them on the side, you ain't getting them with the bike. Luckily for you, they are free in form of addons so you don't have to spend a dim. But don't claim that everyone needs training wheels because you do, many of us can ride our bike just fine.

I bought the kids trikes when they first started cycling! So the training wheels came with the bike!

However for most of the addon's it's about things which should of been in the game at the start.

Guild store, Normal UI no search, you have to trawl through everything! (bad enough you have to travel all over Tamriel to find a trader)
    Buff's de-buffs, do I need to cleanse or re-apply a buff! NO Idea without an addon.

I died to someone who killed me in 3 hits, do I hit that hard? Which of my skills are most effective. No Idea without an Addon

Researching on 4 different toons, do I need this trait on another toon. I don't know let me open up my spreadsheet on my lap top and take a look! Or use this addon....

I don't consider addon's to be essential normally, I play everyother game without any. But in ESO the normal functions are so lacking that I feel to make the game bearable I have to.

But your post is against what others feel they need, I'm more than happy for you to have none of the QOL things which these addon's give to some of the community. No one is saying it should be mandatory, people want to have at least the option to turn on these QOL items.
    Options
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats not even remotely close to the truth? Yes, in essence the game is all a bunch of numbers, but you can effectively play without knowing those numbers as long as you practice and hone your own abilities. I don't use addons, yet I've slaughtered a lifetime worth of FTC users in Cyrodiil and done the same DPS as FTC users in PvE content. You don't need to see those numbers, as long as you still can see that healthbar dropping.

How do you know! You would have no idea if you were doing even close to the other DPS or for that matter the Tanks or healers damage. That health bar could be dropping because the rest of the group is carrying you!
    Options
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats not even remotely close to the truth? Yes, in essence the game is all a bunch of numbers, but you can effectively play without knowing those numbers as long as you practice and hone your own abilities. I don't use addons, yet I've slaughtered a lifetime worth of FTC users in Cyrodiil and done the same DPS as FTC users in PvE content. You don't need to see those numbers, as long as you still can see that healthbar dropping.

How do you know! You would have no idea if you were doing even close to the other DPS or for that matter the Tanks or healers damage. That health bar could be dropping because the rest of the group is carrying you!

i useally Play without any combat logs or somthing else(well some inventory addons)
    once i installed recount and tryied out. have done 12k dps and my other dds in Group to, so i have the same dps as others.
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, I certainly would say it is not... and I don't think it does any favors on the PC to have the UI like it is in terms of what features and customization it offers, but more importantly does not.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on May 14, 2015 10:56AM

kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    BlackEar wrote: »
    I have played ESO with out add-on's from day one, tried a few, to me they never added anything I could live with out plus the hassle of keeping them updated and the problems the cause not worth the effort. That is just my personal taste, and I have done everything in the game.

Elaborate "everything".

Also, Minion is an addon manager that solves your problem.

You are welcome.

Everything means everything pvp to dungeons to trials to crafting, don't care to use minion don't trust third party programs seen to many friends get hacked by using what they thought was a safe program, I have nothing to thank you for /shrug
    Options
  • X_NOVIA_X
    X_NOVIA_X
    ✭✭✭
    Not generalizing every console player, but I played Xbone beta and it seemed fine. Yes, I'd like to see my damage outout among other things, but console players are usually a little more casual than PC gamers. Personally I bought game at launch but I have a Mac, and we all know you don't game on a Mac. Though I could definitely build a hell of a PC but at this point in time I wouldn't have the time to utilize it once built. Having a console is more convenient for me. Get home from work and just relax on couch with a controller and big screen. I have never been a fan of PC controls of any game. Just not my cup of tea!
    Options
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    Some here are saying "You want miss it if you don't know about add-ons".

I say bull ***. People might not be add-on hip. But everyone and their dog knows what add-ons are. They have probably played other mmos with more basic features. They have probably played rpgs with more basic features.

You can have preferences or be ok with what is there. But you can't say it is better without options. The only thing no options will lead to when someone gets stuck or doesn't know where to go is to watch youtube or go to wikis or quit. For the strong stance on wanting people to be immersed. It seems insane to make them go outside game to get pertinent information. Not good for a highly solo oriented game.

Better to have toggle-able information in game than not all. Then all it takes is one button in game. Do I want this extra info or not!

An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
    Options
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play with light add-ons (LootDrop, Slightly Improved Experience Bar, Research Assistant, and Skyshards), and they're nice to have, but I wouldn't consider any of them ESSENTIAL. And it's my understanding that LootDrop-like functionality is built into the console UI. The only thing on console I would REALLY miss is Research Assistant. I can live without it, but it's a PITA.

As for all these "ESO should look like every other MMO" posts, I can only assume that THIS is what you want ESO to look like:

original.jpg

No thanks! I like the minimalist immersive approach. If I wanted a control screen from the Enterprise, I'd apply to Starfleet.
    Options
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    You are not Prepared!!
    you-re-not-prepared-o.gif
    ▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallmor wrote: »
    I play with light add-ons (LootDrop, Slightly Improved Experience Bar, Research Assistant, and Skyshards), and they're nice to have, but I wouldn't consider any of them ESSENTIAL. And it's my understanding that LootDrop-like functionality is built into the console UI. The only thing on console I would REALLY miss is Research Assistant. I can live without it, but it's a PITA.

As for all these "ESO should look like every other MMO" posts, I can only assume that THIS is what you want ESO to look like:

original.jpg

No thanks! I like the minimalist immersive approach. If I wanted a control screen from the Enterprise, I'd apply to Starfleet.

This gets a big LOL! Great point.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[*img]http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17jtv5fyn14jjjpg/original.jpg[/img]

With addons my UI is much more minimalist, compact, much more informative, much more functional, and much more usable than the stock ESO UI is by a mile. If someone wanted their screen's UI (not yours, but theirs.... on their computer, not yours) to look like that exaggerated picture, who would you be to tell them "No", though? :p However, no one really plays games like that so it's a laughable quote-unquote "example" to be posting honestly :).

I'm glad you feel more "immersed" (what does that even mean? It's not a universal term that means the same thing to everyone ;)) by staring for your hands to be glowing for crystal fragments procs on a sorcerer, or blocking your entire screen just to see the map for a moment instead of simply glancing at a corner of your screen. Your idea of fun isn't everyone else's, though, and that's why options are good.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on May 14, 2015 2:09PM

tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a PVP'er I can't play without FTC. I've tried going in without it but a feature as simple as actually displaying wall damage percentage as a number makes it invaluable.

Also, even though it's basically a cheat, the Skyshards addons makes this game so much more enjoyable and less frustrating.

I could probably live without everything else.

...but Idle Animations should be part of the games code.
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I play without addons. I understand some prefer or rely on addons to complete content, and that's fine. I don't understand the desire for players who don't use addons to get so defensive about not using them, and I don't understand the desire for players who rely on addons to get so defensive about wanting them.

Nobody should be under the dilusion that they will have the same experience (especially regarding addons) on console that they had on PC. Theres always been a rift - PC games have a sprawling modding community whereas console is generally "base game or bust".

You can kick your feet and scream that the base game should also display abcdef and g on the screen, I'll however be glad that it doesn't. That's what the compromise was afterall, ZOS catered to one side by not including features in the base UI, and catered to the other by allowing the display of the extras through addons. The argument is moot.
    Edited by BBSooner on May 14, 2015 2:40PM
    Options
  • Grimnaur
    Grimnaur
    ✭✭✭
    The main things I would like to have is a buff/debuff tracker and something that shows procs (like for my crystal frags}. Other than that, I don't really care to lose add ons.
    “Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” - J.B.
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Haqikah wrote: »
    Since early release I have been playing merrily without any addons, neither do I feel the urge to install any. So I expect no issues for the console.

Because everyone is exactly the same as you?
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I. And it's my understanding that LootDrop-like functionality is built into the console UI..

edit: found it....you are referring to the loot list display that comes up on the left side of the console screen.
    Edited by Uberkull on May 14, 2015 7:36PM
    ▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
    Options
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master Merchant, guild store search UI filters, and skill and equipment set swapping addons are an absolute necessity. They literally reduce the amount of tedious tasks during game-play by over half. Additionally combat cloud or FTC combat stats drastically increases the enjoyment of combat and then simple addons like those which disable the "ultimate ready" sound effect or allow pressing a button to set "attack innocents" on/off are great addons for player satisfaction.

They all need to be added to the console version. The only one I can see justifiably not added to the game would be combat cloud or FTC combat stats to better emulate a traditional TES game and less MMO-like focusing on dps/healing stats.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
    Options
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

original.jpg

BBSooner wrote: »
    You can kick your feet and scream that the base game should also display abcdef and g on the screen, I'll however be glad that it doesn't. That's what the compromise was afterall, ZOS catered to one side by not including features in the base UI, and catered to the other by allowing the display of the extras through addons. The argument is moot.

Why does everyone seem to think that all addons are UI-hogging monstrosities that clutter everything up? Sure, some of them are, but the vast majority are not.

I am currently running 37 addons. With the exception of the minimap and the multi-quest tracker (2 of the 37 addons), my game screen doesn't look any different from the stock UI. All of the other 35 addons are things that simply add more info or functionality to menus, maps, and the chat box, or they are additional screens that are opened only briefly when needed.

All these "anti-addon" folks keep accusing addon-users of cluttering up their screen. Addons only clutter up the screen if you want them to. I have 35 addons you can use that don't touch the main game view.
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    Divinius wrote: »

original.jpg

Why does everyone seem to think that all addons are UI-hogging monstrosities that clutter everything up? Sure, some of them are, but the vast majority are not.

I am currently running 37 addons. With the exception of the minimap and the multi-quest tracker (2 of the 37 addons), my game screen doesn't look any different from the stock UI. All of the other 35 addons are things that simply add more info or functionality to menus, maps, and the chat box, or they are additional screens that are opened only briefly when needed.

All these "anti-addon" folks keep accusing addon-users of cluttering up their screen. Addons only clutter up the screen if you want them to. I have 35 addons you can use that don't touch the main game view.

I didn't mention a cluttering of the screen, so I'm not entirely sure why I was quoted. I'm simply content to use the base game visual cues instead of being told when to cleanse, when to crystal frag, etc.
    Edited by BBSooner on May 15, 2015 6:10PM
    Options
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭

original.jpg

I didn't mention a cluttering of the screen, so I'm not entirely sure why I was quoted. I'm simply content to use the base game visual cues instead of being told when to cleanse, when to crystal frag, etc.

I remember the first thing I was asking myself when I started a Sorc: "How the hell do I know when to pop frag?" Personally, with everything else going on, I need some other type of indicator. From there, I discovered how the game was missing things that were vital and many felt should have been basic UI options.
    Options
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO
    Add-Ons are part of the reason I decided to get a new rig. I couldn't imagine playing this game on PS4 without them, and I'm only using FTC and the skyshard & lorebook markers.
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    nastuug wrote: »

original.jpg

I remember the first thing I was asking myself when I started a Sorc: "How the hell do I know when to pop frag?" Personally, with everything else going on, I need some other type of indicator. From there, I discovered how the game was missing things that were vital and many felt should have been basic UI options.

Which is fine, and if you prefer to rely on an addon to let you know when to use your skill that's fine, however many threads criticizing the UI for being minimal assert that the indicator we already get isn't good enough and we should get more. I disagree, and I'm glad ZOS has decided that (for now) visual cues are sufficient , and for those that require a larger indicator they have addons to help them - instead of coding in varying degrees of preference based on who wants what in a game where we are already content starved.
    Options
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nastuug wrote: »

original.jpg

Which is fine, and if you prefer to rely on an addon to let you know when to use your skill that's fine, however many threads criticizing the UI for being minimal assert that the indicator we already get isn't good enough and we should get more. I disagree, and I'm glad ZOS has decided that (for now) visual cues are sufficient , and for those that require a larger indicator they have addons to help them - instead of coding in varying degrees of preference based on who wants what in a game where we are already content starved.

Well, I find it quite upsetting that players/fan boys have time/energy to code an addon for free, but the guys who, ya know, developed the game couldn't take the necessary time to work in optional UI items. Optional UI items that are clearly very popular...
    Options