Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please fix Nirnhoned armor

• Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »
    Gorthax wrote: »
    Pixysticks wrote: »
    Rylana wrote: »
    Lesspa wrote: »
    ive heard of ppl @ 70k+ sp resist. Nope, not broken at all.

Exaggeration is not needed in this thread. Anyone stacking to 70k spell resists is a bad player, nothing more. If you can't see why.... well.... go ahead stack to 70k.

Might be a holdover from when focus was bugged (again), when 70k just barely got you out of the range of the spellpen some of those casters had. Well back to hardcap anyway.

Regardless it has no bearing on the current discussion, anyone running that now isn't a very good player. Clearly that post was meant to exaggerate as I really doubt anyone is naive enough to run that much spell resists.... I'd hope.

@huntler a very well known EP DK runs 70k spell resistance and takes very little damage and wrecks everyone he comes in contact with......how do I know? I had a long talk with him about his build and the choices he made. Turns out he isnt the only one who knows what he knows. He spends countless hours on PTS testing things and then brings that back to live (the results that is).

I crit that DK for about 60-65% less than I crit people with under 10k resists. My guess is that the hardcap isn't working as intended. Unless he also has about 10-15% reduced damage from crits in the CP tree, along with me ignoring 0% resist from pen. Regardless, that guy is impossible to kill unless 5 or more people are attacking him for a good minute.

@Pixysticks I know you know :) it also doesnt help that permablock casting greatly reduces all damage while their stamina pool gets drained by .005% while being attacked and never letting go of block. So you can factor that into it as well with the nirn on armor

Thats a good point, given we can guarantee you aren't penetrating any of his spell resists and he is likely including block or some kind of crit damage mitigation, those numbers seem reasonable as far as in game mechanics are concerned.

Well there is something going on with hardcaps. I questioned further and was told to go test it for myself on PTS and if I did I too would switch to it. Still dont switch :) Any other information I tried to get from said person was met with a good chuckle from them because they dont want to give out how it is obtained. Whats max spell pen someone can get? I am sitting at 17,095 right now
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exaggeration is not needed in this thread. Anyone stacking to 70k spell resists is a bad player, nothing more. If you can't see why.... well.... go ahead stack to 70k.

Might be a holdover from when focus was bugged (again), when 70k just barely got you out of the range of the spellpen some of those casters had. Well back to hardcap anyway.

Regardless it has no bearing on the current discussion, anyone running that now isn't a very good player. Clearly that post was meant to exaggerate as I really doubt anyone is naive enough to run that much spell resists.... I'd hope.

@huntler a very well known EP DK runs 70k spell resistance and takes very little damage and wrecks everyone he comes in contact with......how do I know? I had a long talk with him about his build and the choices he made. Turns out he isnt the only one who knows what he knows. He spends countless hours on PTS testing things and then brings that back to live (the results that is).

I crit that DK for about 60-65% less than I crit people with under 10k resists. My guess is that the hardcap isn't working as intended. Unless he also has about 10-15% reduced damage from crits in the CP tree, along with me ignoring 0% resist from pen. Regardless, that guy is impossible to kill unless 5 or more people are attacking him for a good minute.

@Pixysticks I know you know :) it also doesnt help that permablock casting greatly reduces all damage while their stamina pool gets drained by .005% while being attacked and never letting go of block. So you can factor that into it as well with the nirn on armor

Thats a good point, given we can guarantee you aren't penetrating any of his spell resists and he is likely including block or some kind of crit damage mitigation, those numbers seem reasonable as far as in game mechanics are concerned.

That DK is taking way less than 50% damage from my spells, without blocking, when I have on every piece of possible pen. The only options are that there is no hardcap on resists and it just scales poorly after 50% reduction, or that he has 50% reduction from spell resist and has every CP into reduced critical & magic/elemental damage.

The last point wouldn't be surprising though right? Those tend to be the best points to put CS for utility/bang for your buck when it comes to the warrior trees.
  • Pixysticks
    Pixysticks
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That DK is taking way less than 50% damage from my spells, without blocking, when I have on every piece of possible pen. The only options are that there is no hardcap on resists and it just scales poorly after 50% reduction, or that he has 50% reduction from spell resist and has every CP into reduced critical & magic/elemental damage.

The last point wouldn't be surprising though right? Those tend to be the best points to put CS for utility/bang for your buck when it comes to the warrior trees.

Yep, 100% possible to do, just not sure which is more likely. Especially since ZoS's track record with properly implementing changes.
    Alacrity

Retired 05/04/15.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And thus the life cycle of ESO PvP builds continues.

LA/Staff Vampire Batswarm Sorc/DK ulti redux builds OP - plz nerf

then

Ground oil is OP, plz nerf

then

Stand on caltrops be immune to siege is OP, plz nerf

then

Stand on enemy caltrops with sap essence twin sisters build OP - plz nerf

then

Use Wall of Elements + oil, hope enemy purges, maximum lulz is OP - plz nerf

then

Use as much stacking heal debuff as possible, darkflare and lethal arrow is OP - plz nerf

then

Use my own caltrops and dots with valkyn skoria meteor lulz is OP - plz nerf

then

Use as much knockback for super fall damage as possible is OP - plz nerf

then

Stack massive spell damage and magicka with a sharpened staff for huge crystal frag hits is OP - plz nerf

then

Stack massive weapon damage + 2 handers for hilarious results is OP - plz nerf

then

Stack massive nirn traits to negate any and all spell damage in the game is OP - plz nerf.

now

Stack proximity det with max magicka and spellpower + gap closers, hit everyone at once with no AOE cap (like I warned you about) is OP - plz nerf

Every time someone is OP, the players use it, deny it is OP, try to stop the nerf, invest heavily into the OP thing to get as much out of it as possible for unfair advantage, then complain when it deservedly gets nerfed, then find the next broken thing...

And on and on and on

All I got from your post is that if it weren't for all the pointless nerfs, we could be having fun dropping batswarms and walls of elements everywhere. Now everyone just rolls around or bolt escapes until they get bored or Mom says dinner is ready.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Nala_
    Nala_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whats max spell pen someone can get? I am sitting at 17,095 right now

what harvans tells you your focus rating is, is not how much spell resist/armor you penetrate. just think of that as an arbitrary value for purposes of measuring your penetration versus others
  • Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭

then

then

then

then

then

Use as much stacking heal debuff as possible, darkflare and lethal arrow is OP - plz nerf

then

then

then

Stack massive spell damage and magicka with a sharpened staff for huge crystal frag hits is OP - plz nerf

then

then

Stack massive nirn traits to negate any and all spell damage in the game is OP - plz nerf.

now

Stack proximity det with max magicka and spellpower + gap closers, hit everyone at once with no AOE cap (like I warned you about) is OP - plz nerf

Every time someone is OP, the players use it, deny it is OP, try to stop the nerf, invest heavily into the OP thing to get as much out of it as possible for unfair advantage, then complain when it deservedly gets nerfed, then find the next broken thing...

And on and on and on

All I got from your post is that if it weren't for all the pointless nerfs, we could be having fun dropping batswarms and walls of elements everywhere. Now everyone just rolls around or bolt escapes until they get bored or Mom says dinner is ready.

I bolt escape around until I am tired of being crit rushed/WB spammed to death :P I wish my mom cooked me dinner still......would need to venture to her house and ask one of these days!
  • Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nala_ wrote: »
    Whats max spell pen someone can get? I am sitting at 17,095 right now

what harvans tells you your focus rating is, is not how much spell resist/armor you penetrate. just think of that as an arbitrary value for purposes of measuring your penetration versus others

ahhh ok @Nala_ thank you for that :)
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sphinx2318 wrote: »
    Winnamine wrote: »
    Domander wrote: »
    It's already bad enough being magicka, but nirnhoned stacked players just makes it so unbalanced.

Waiting until the next update is just insulting.

Stamina players waited like 9 months for stamina to become viable.

yep, and THAT was insulting to stam users as well......

However, the issue here is that Nirn is bugged. Those who waited for a stam buff undeservedly waited an exorbitant amount of time, its true........but it was not a BUG issue like we have here. The nirn bug should have been fixed several weeks ago. Its not like we're asking for the entire pvp server code to be rewritten. We just want what's bugged to be fixed. Especially when the bug is game breaking for a fairly large amount of players who just want their magicka build to be viable.

People keep saying Nirnhoned is "bugged", but I don't see any bug. What's the bug? As far as I can tell, it's doing exactly what the tooltip describes... some people just don't like it because they don't wear light armor and think anyone who does should be an easy kill.

Yeah, I know some ZoS employee came on and said it might not be "working as intended" and they were investigating yada yada yada. I think that's just a lot of smoke so they can nerf Nirnhoned (and screw over everyone who paid 15K per piece) while calling it a "bug fix".
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Nala_
    Nala_
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS never said nirnhorn was bugged. its working exacrly the way they designed it to work, they just realized they buffed it to much so theyre bringing it back down to a normal level next patch. anyone who says that its bugged and not ok to use is just a rager.
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS never said nirnhorn was bugged. its working exacrly the way they designed it to work, they just realized they buffed it to much so theyre bringing it back down to a normal level next patch. anyone who says that its bugged and not ok to use is just a rager.

This, they vastly overbuffed it without realizing the consequences. It was compounded by how they changed armor in 1.6 to reflect defensive stats. I imagine they'll likely just cut the values of the nirn stats by some factor as that is the quickest, cheapest, easiest solution. And we know how much they like band-aids :p
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's already bad enough being magicka, but nirnhoned stacked players just makes it so unbalanced.

However, the issue here is that Nirn is bugged. Those who waited for a stam buff undeservedly waited an exorbitant amount of time, its true........but it was not a BUG issue like we have here. The nirn bug should have been fixed several weeks ago. Its not like we're asking for the entire pvp server code to be rewritten. We just want what's bugged to be fixed. Especially when the bug is game breaking for a fairly large amount of players who just want their magicka build to be viable.

People keep saying Nirnhoned is "bugged", but I don't see any bug. What's the bug? As far as I can tell, it's doing exactly what the tooltip describes... some people just don't like it because they don't wear light armor and think anyone who does should be an easy kill.

Yeah, I know some ZoS employee came on and said it might not be "working as intended" and they were investigating yada yada yada. I think that's just a lot of smoke so they can nerf Nirnhoned (and screw over everyone who paid 15K per piece) while calling it a "bug fix".

Just how could the nirnhoned armor trait possibly benefit light armor wearers?
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

making magicka utterly obsolete is not a fair exchange...
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Why is it that you and Xsorus continue spreading this lie when you know otherwise? Agenda perhaps?
    Exploration & Itemization
    Itemization
    • Actually increased the value of the Nirnhoned Trait so it is 50% stronger than the Reinforced trait for armor, as mentioned previously.

Pretty sure Reinforced is only multiplicative against the single armor piece it is applied to and not your entire armor value. Is that 'raging' enough for you?
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »

Why is it that you and Xsorus continue spreading this lie when you know otherwise? Agenda perhaps?
    Itemization
    • Actually increased the value of the Nirnhoned Trait so it is 50% stronger than the Reinforced trait for armor, as mentioned previously.

Pretty sure Reinforced is only multiplicative against the single armor piece it is applied to and not your entire armor value. Is that 'raging' enough for you?

Eh thats not exactly clear in what they meant. For all we know they were taking into account a full set of armor with reinforced as compared to a full set of nirn... the strengths vastly change to what armor type and comparison they are using. Furthermore reinforced gives spell resists too so they have to make nirn specifically strong. I don't necessarily like the idea of nirn just working off armor, it sends us down the path of further buffed medium armor's defenses while leaving light armor behind which was initially supposed to be strong against magicka.

I think the word bug isn't applicable here. The wording of the trait never changed, its always been like this (pre 1.6). It was just increased with 1.6 to scale higher than reinforced. They clearly didn't realize exactly how much you could stack I imagine and this was more of an oversight then a bug. Tone down the %per piece and it'll be fine.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager

This, they vastly overbuffed it without realizing the consequences. It was compounded by how they changed armor in 1.6 to reflect defensive stats. I imagine they'll likely just cut the values of the nirn stats by some factor as that is the quickest, cheapest, easiest solution. And we know how much they like band-aids :p

This is actually one of the reasons we're not doing a quick and dirty 'fix' immediately, and addressing it after console launch. It needs some rebalancing/redesigning, which will take some time to do right.

Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on April 29, 2015 9:08PM
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • DezIsDead
    DezIsDead
    ✭✭✭✭

This is actually one of the reasons we're not doing a quick and dirty 'fix' immediately, and addressing it after console launch. It needs some rebalancing/redesigning, which will take some time to do right.

Meanwhile screw magicka builds? Seriously I know magicka owned for like 10 months but don't do us a dirty like this.
    Dez Is Dead vr16 AD Sorc
    Rez Dez vr16 DC sorc
    Aimer Cantentius VR16 DC NB AKA Needs Vigor
    Vanreimus Comeback DC DK
    Ihealedurmum VR8 AD temp
    Unonti VR crafting sloot
    Zoschasedawaymyfweinds EP Temp
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you're speaking about the whole resistance/penetration system, that would make sense.

But even *if* a "quick and dirty" fix would make this trait entirely useless, it would still be better than nothing. There's really not much you could change to the worse if you tried to fix it, as far as I can see :neutral: .

• TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Jessica i hope you guys understand that some skills will need to be toned down without it.

As it stands casters can get 20k+ spell pen very easily. Without nirn all but the tankiest tanks would be naked with regard to spells.
    Edited by TheBull on April 29, 2015 9:21PM
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you saying everyone to exlpoit the *** out for the next 2 months(minimum) or quit game if you can't afford it? Bcs I fail to see a point about playing PvP with all the bugs and broken skills altering the whole gameplay.

At least you can "try" to do "something" instead of just sitting on your own hands with eyes and ears covered.
    Edited by Soris on April 29, 2015 9:32PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »

Jessica i hope you guys understand that some skills will need to be toned down without it.

As it stands casters can get 20k+ spell pen very easily. Without nirn all but the tankiest tanks would be naked with regard to spells.

Hopefully that is part of the reason for her response.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Because you can use Nirnhoned to at least get your Spell Resist up to a reasonable level. Then you're only gimped by your low Physical Resist, which isn't as big a deal because physical attacks, especially melee attacks, are easier to avoid.

Edited by Emma_Overload on April 29, 2015 9:28PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Because you can use Nirnhoned to at least get your Spell Resist up to a reasonable level. Then you're only gimped by your low Physical Resist, which isn't as big a deal because physical attacks, especially melee attacks, are easier to avoid.

If I had a trait negating 50% physical damage while having 0 spell resist and would creaste a build around that fact, there wasn't anything left to kill me.
    For a light armor wearer using shields, armor and spell resistance is less important than for people trying to take the damage they have to with their health pool. And against someone using nirnhoned armor, my damage is toned down by a large margin.

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »

Itemization

Eh thats not exactly clear in what they meant. For all we know they were taking into account a full set of armor with reinforced as compared to a full set of nirn... the strengths vastly change to what armor type and comparison they are using. Furthermore reinforced gives spell resists too so they have to make nirn specifically strong. I don't necessarily like the idea of nirn just working off armor, it sends us down the path of further buffed medium armor's defenses while leaving light armor behind which was initially supposed to be strong against magicka.

I think the word bug isn't applicable here. The wording of the trait never changed, its always been like this (pre 1.6). It was just increased with 1.6 to scale higher than reinforced. They clearly didn't realize exactly how much you could stack I imagine and this was more of an oversight then a bug. Tone down the %per piece and it'll be fine.

I think the whole Light armor versus Medium is a topic unto itself but I'll save that for another day. I'm fine with Heavy armor benefiting most from passive defense traits like reinforced. I just don't think there should be a multiplicative effect or if there is it needs reduced to at least 10% instead of 24%. As it is at 10% many players including myself would continue to use it, and magic damage as a whole would continue to be weak against properly geared players but it wouldn't outright gimp magick damage.

At this point we can't wait for a "rebalancing". A quick and dirty fix will have to do until such a time as you can properly rebalance. Just drop the value and look at it again when you have the time. It really makes no sense to have to wait 2 months to have a reasonable chance to kill every player who slaps a few pieces of nirnhoned armor into their setup.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I know that the usual reaction is to just turn stuff in the garbage when PvPers whine about it, but please take into consideration how much time it takes to obtain nirnhoned and all other traits before making changes. Please make sure that nirnhoned remains at least powerful enough to justify the time after the changes.
    Edited by timidobserver on April 29, 2015 9:46PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toned down? Yea wrecking blow you mean? Surprise attack?... sure thing, do it.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Winnamine
    Winnamine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, ZOS knows you spent upwards of 30k on nirnhoned armor and they vindictively and nonsensically wish to screw you over by nerfing it.
    No other reason. Just that, having fixed every bug/glitch/exploit/problem in the game, they got bored and decided to screw you out of some fake money. For fun.
    Winni
    ~
    VE
    Decibel
  • Sensesfail13
    Sensesfail13
    ✭✭✭✭
    They already stealth nerfed nirnhoned armor get over it and stack spell erosion.
    Wisherr, Dragonknight, Haderus, NA Server.
    Wisher of Naught, Nightblade, Haderus, NA Server.
    Guild officer: Abandoned Legion
  • Ifthir_ESO
    Ifthir_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

then

then

then

then

then

then

then

then

then

then

now

And on and on and on

A+. Basic proof ZoS doesnt qa and designers dont pvp.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So while you all need your delicate time, magicka users are going to have to suffer through something that is massively OP and almost entirely negates the usefulness of our builds? Magicka already took a massive nerf with 1.6, and now this.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already stealth nerfed nirnhoned armor get over it and stack spell erosion.

Is spell erosion even working? I know my nirnhorned daggers barely brought my focus up above my sharpened daggers as far as focus goes. I just ditched spell erosion and went with theThaumaturge CP that increases magic damage and overall it seems to be the better trade. Focus went from 12k down to 5k but my concealed weapon generally hits a lot harder. Anybody do any detailed studies on this?