Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Keep getting booted to login screen with no error at all

• Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    As far as the connection, I'm using AT&T Uverse. The hardware is an Arris NVG589 modem/router. The connection is made to my computer via a Netgear WNA1100 wireless N 150 USB adapter provided by AT&T. I'd prefer ethernet, but I haven't taken the time to run the cabling yet. I've played fine over this connection since Tamriel Unlimited went live. Last night was the first night that I've had any issues with disconnects, so I'm a little dubious on it being wifi related. The only reason that I mentioned it is that the disconnects seemed to stop when I plugged in a ethernet cable run across the living room floor. Wife obviously won't go for that long-term. :D I played for maybe 30 minutes today over wifi and didn't get disconnected, so I don't know what's going on.
  • Tashira
    Tashira
    ✭✭✭
    dont worry... just wait it will happen again ;)
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This began happening to me several days ago. I have to reboot my computer every time to get the game to actually start over. Some process prevents the patcher from starting up again. Please fix this!
  • capcody
    capcody
    ✭✭✭
    i get these crashing too. it makes pvp UNPLAYABLE,
  • evenfallacy
    evenfallacy
    ✭✭
    It makes the entirety of the game unplayable at times. Haven't received word back at all now from support either after several days.
    If they don't know the answer, it'd be nice to at least hear as much instead of feeling like I'm talking to a wall. Absolute silence in the matter is about on par with the issues themselves in terms of frustration.

With the state some users are left in, with as poorly as it's being handled, it's becoming difficult to justify further paying.
  • Tdos
    Tdos
    Soul Shriven
    I've been getting this problem ever since the change to unlimited. I get the endless "requesting character load screen" but after reloading a couple times I get through and can easily load into the game. As long as I do not transition between any zones or solo instances I can play for as long as I want without problems. As soon as I attempt to change zones or enter a solo dungeon I get kicked to log in screen with error <<1>>.

I contacted support and have tried everything including setting my Ip to static. I see packet loss on my pathpings whether I'm on wifi, or ethernet with dynamic and static Ips. It is so frustrating because the support guy told me that the game was detecting that my Ip was changing so it was kicking me as a security measure... do they not know that most people use dynamic Ips? No other MMO has this problem and I've always been on a dynamic Ip. This is why I was told to use a static Ip but clearly it did not work.
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    Tashira wrote: »
    dont worry... just wait it will happen again ;)
    Surprise! It happened again! I would say that I'll just quit, but I'm not paying for this anyway. I essentially went link-dead. I wasn't able to mount or go into sneak. Then I was dumped to login without error. I logged back in and appeared to have been rolled back a little.
    Edited by Ignotus on April 10, 2015 3:07AM
  • 25agosto
    25agosto
    ✭✭
    I'll fix this error O.o
    I live in italy, and i have a WiMax Internet Service Provider. I have this error <<1>> from 2 weeks. I've tried ANYTHING, like #15 post of Friesenberg. The last try, before return playing Neverwinter, was connect my phone, and use my mobile provider, with my limit of 100 MB per day, and try.
    O.O WORKS
    From 1 week, i'm playing with Vodafone (like your Verizon), and i consume 100 MB, disabling all (antivir, browsing, nvidia, ecc eccc background programs) in like 2 hours/3 hours sometimes.
    I've tried contacting my ISP, bat they said me "we know the problem and we are fixing", but i think is a "base text" to skip all these problems.....

Returning to problem, i got this errore for the first time, after 1.6 patch. I've started play around 1 month ago, before update, never see that error.
    So....Try thethering your phone!

And so... could be a ISP fail?
    P.s Even for 2 weeks, i notice that when i'm in character select, a "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" get out from pc. i don't know if the graphic card or what else, i've a EVGA Gtx 970 Acx 2.0
    Edited by 25agosto on April 11, 2015 2:40PM
  • hydrocynus
    hydrocynus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK this is what worked for me to fix this - not sure if it is a fluke but i will share anyway just in case this will somehow help someone else but i doubt it as i still think it was a fluke.

I read this thread and ZOS support said to remove the depot folder from that directory. I ran a repair and then I deleted the deopt directory by cutting and pasting to desktop and then i opened the launcher which started the download. I left it overnight and by this morning it was 40%.

I decided to still leave it but by lunch time i just couldnt handle being at home all day and not being able to play ESO (Like previous poster was using my phone as a workaround at great cost), so what i did was i paused the download, closed the launcher, and renamed the C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\depot folder to be C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\depotip

I then cut the Depot directory from my desktop (the original one) and pasted it back to where it was originally. I decided to try my DSL connection, and every since it has worked without fail all Day!!

Up till yesterday i was convinced that this issue was my ISP (because my phone worked), but i couldnt prove it because continuous pings showed no latency or timeouts or packet loss at all. The ESO Test logs showed zero issues with network or connectivity, and Pingtest was giving me an A grade result constantly with 0% packet loss so i could show them nothing that was wrong and rightly so. That is why i started checking the forums to see if maybe it is a game issue rather than an ISP issue.

Now either what i did above fixed the error, or my ISP found the fault during the time i was downloading and fixed it without telling me (possible but they never notified me of any resolution) - i dont know, but i just thought i would share this with you in case you are about to give up on what to try, and maybe this will help you.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else tries this and it works? I will also report back if i get the error again, and i will try the same fix to see if it works again or not.
    My internet is invalid
  • 25agosto
    25agosto
    ✭✭
    hydrocynus wrote: »
    The ESO Test logs showed zero issues with network or connectivity
    Where is Eso test log?
  • Garani
    Garani
    Soul Shriven
    Well, I have the same issue. Logged in after ages, worked fine, until I tried to enter a dungeon. The game bombed on me and couldn't load a character since then.

Quite annoying.
  • hydrocynus
    hydrocynus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get to the test log as follows:

On launcher click on the settings icon in top right corner
    Then click on about
    Then click on Game Consultant
    It will open a test app. Click on Run test - it will do a whole bunch of tests and create a log file. I think if you have logged a ticket for this error, it might be useful to email that log file along with the ticket to ZOS support as it will tell them everything about your system to try to pinpoint the issue.
    My internet is invalid
  • Ged
    Ged
    Soul Shriven
    2.0.6 update didn't help, and I'm now on my fourth round of support suggestions.

I have some interesting packet captures now to hopefully isolate the problem.
    There is no level six.
  • barduck
    barduck
    ✭✭✭

Copying the "depot" folder to somewhere else and forcing the updater to re-download the game sounds like one of those generic "solutions" support people give when they have no clue what is going on and just stalling time hoping the problem goes away somehow. Like "reset your PC" or "update your drivers", just longer.

Why do I need to re-download 30+GB of a game data for hours? Isn't this exactly what the '"repair" function supposed to do? I mean, this is not a some voodoo. The repair tool can check each file against the currently known file and determine EXACTLY if it's different or not. At the end of the process, the client should reflect the current version down to the single bit. What's the point of sending people to a goose chase making them believe that somehow re-downloading the files should magically fix their connection problems?

I am getting massive lag spikes (freezes the game for seconds) for days now. Today I even can't log in, getting that weird "<<1>>" error message (now what's the deal with that? can't they put some meaningful errors message there for proper debugging?). And there is no solution in sight. Very annoying.

• ZOS_MollyH
    Hello again folks,

We are actively researching the main cause of this error, and we should have an update soon. That said, when you get booted to the login screen it is more often than not because of a connectivity issue. While Customer Support can assist by looking at logs, providing troubleshooting to ensure your router is properly configured to the best of our scope, and to make sure that any known issues with software that may conflict with your connection to our servers are addressed. Ultimately, you will have the best resolution to this error by continuing to work with your support agent in troubleshooting, and if directed to do so contacting your ISP. There can be a great number of issues that may affect your connection, and they can be very tricky and time consuming to narrow down.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • kodo
    kodo
    ✭✭
    i started having the same isuues after the 2.0.6 patch,for 2 days now the game is unplayable. i played for 6 months straight and never had any issues.
    Edited by kodo on April 23, 2015 4:21PM
  • Tashira
    Tashira
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is a connection issue and it is your ISP ... standard ZOS answer it seems :o
  • kb_thatchor
    kb_thatchor
    Soul Shriven
    Add me to the list. :(

I can't even play the game. When I first installed the game a few nights ago, I was able to play past the tutorial for maybe an hour or two. Then when I went to go get addons, I started getting booted. Removed all my addons, ran multiple repairs, replaced my depot file, reinstalled the entire game to both the same and different harddrive, turned off my antivirus as well as my firewall (on both my router and my computer), and.... nothing. Still getting the errors. I've played the game a few months back with no problems and nothing has changed on my computer or network.

EDIT: Okay, I think I found a temporary fix; it at least works for me. Try running the game through a VPN such as Hotspot Shield or Private Internet Access. If you use Private Internet Access, you'll need to connect to CA Toronto or CA North York for some reason, otherwise you'll get stuck on the loading screen when you go to log in as a character (not sure why).

Just a warning though that your ping will still go up when you connect to a VPN. Mine doubled to around 115 or so, which is still in the playable range thankfully.
    Edited by kb_thatchor on April 24, 2015 12:11PM
  • Laplace
    Laplace
    ✭✭✭
    Just happened to me, too, when I try to go to Rawl'kha (AD, North American megaserver) during peak hours (it's 9:45 PM EST on Friday as of this writing). If I had to guess, their servers are just being overwhelmed.

EDIT: I tried going there the old fashioned way (just walking there), and I crashed to desktop once I got there. Chances are, Rawl'kha's just so laggy right now that it's unplayable.
    Edited by Laplace on May 9, 2015 1:56AM
  • Sadian
    Sadian
    Soul Shriven
    This happens to me a lot as well. I'm new to the game so I have a fresh install, no add-ons, on two different macs (macbook pro and a older iMac). Both have the same problem; every 2-10 minutes just knocks you to the login screen. Last night and today I tried playing in windowed mode versus full screen and i was able to play for 1 hour without any knockouts then logged out. Guess i'll play in windowed mode for a while; seemed to 'fix' it for me. I had also tried to repair the installation on both machines, but neither solved the problem.
  • mullins07
    mullins07
    ✭✭✭
    Was happening to me every night for weeks now until last night.
    Didn't lag out once.
    I am hoping the patch fixed it and it wasn't just luck.

Had some high lag situations in PVP that normally would have kicked me out.
  • Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do some research people.
    This game has serious stability problems, always has. It's not you, it's ESO.

Those of you worrying about your pc, ISP, router & modem, it's likely on ZOS end.
    This happened to me 3 times over the weekend. My ISP is fine, as are my router, modem, and PC.

Not only is there a bug that boots people to login (as if someone is logging on over you), there are random freezes and random crashes to desktop. These have existed since beta. As always a ZOS tagged forum mod will show up with the typical tech support response with a myriad of tasks and hurdles only to bring you back to square one.
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Xepla wrote: »
    @ZOS_MollyH I see that you locked my thread and redirected me here, though my issue is quite different than the one OP describes. Being a responsible Forum user I did find this thread before creating my own, and because his problem was not the same as mine, I made a new thread.

Let's say I create a thread describing the nausea I feel after eating guar eggs. There is another ongoing thread about the nausea some people feel after eating salmon. Should our threads be combined because they both deal with nausea? Or because salmon and guar both lay eggs? I am fine eating salmon. This is lunacy.

I hope you can understand my frustration with this action, because the previous thread allowed me to be in contact with others who did have my same, exact issue. I had also meticulously documented everything I have tried and which has been, and will be, suggested here, again.

If anyone else has my specific issue, infinite requesting character load AND being DC'd with <<1>> at Wayshrines or Zone transfers, please discuss it with me on the elderscrollsonline subreddit (http://bit.ly/1HXeFDw). There, we can discuss the issue without fear of being locked or redirected.

So, here I am to discuss a totally different problem that happens to have the same "<<1>>" result. The error code may be the same, but the circumstances are different.

His game is freezing after a few seconds of play and he sometimes gets <<1>> error code? Once I am in game I can play indefinitely with no problems...

I have consistent Infinite "Requesting Character Load" AND consistent <<1>> error logouts that are triggered by zone transfers. Could you please create a new thread that focuses on the very specific issue experienced by myself, @Vlakna , and @Ged ? Thank you.

My report number is [Incident: 150218-000300].

This is exactly the issue I have been getting since patch 2.9. I can chose my character, then it just hangs at requesting character load for ever. I play from China and thought it might be that, but after trying many possible solutions I found on the forums, none worked. Until I did a full install, then it worked.

My problem started after patch 2.9, I was playing fine, 230-250ms, went to go into the forgotten crypts in Deeshan, and had the usual DC from a transition. I sometimes get these DC's when moving zones or going into delves etc... but always before I have been able to log back in.

This time I get <<1>> error and cannot log in, I made a new character it let me log in for like a minute then kicked me out, also error <<1>> then for 4 days couldn't log in. Friday I did a reinstall and this morning I could play again, perfectly fine for 230-250ms again as usual. I thought i'd try the forgotten crypts again and now I have the exact same problem as before. Cannot log in. I delete Launcher folder and reinstalled it, I deleted some other folders, nothing works. Guess I will try another reinstall.

TBH I cannot see how this is anything to do with me, my ISP or anything. Something on ZOS hardware/software is causing a screw up when we transition along there megaserver and then DC'ing us, then not letting us back on.

I don't know, but it is weird.

My ticket number is: 150523-000017‏

Also agree with you, totally different pronlem to the OP's issue.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    OK so I have done everything everyone has suggested in this thread. Nothing got me in the game.

However, I did just set my compatibility to Win7 and repaired files and got in the game, ran around killed some stuff, etc... usual things, ping was 230-250 again.

I change my shadows to high because my FPS was a little low. My screen timed out, but it didn't kick me off the game it just hung on a loading screen for 3 or 4 minutes before I pressed ALT+4. After this I logged back into the game just fine.

But the I though instead of going into forgotten crypts i'd just wayshrine back to town, and then guess what happened?

Same <<1>> error and now cannot log in again. I have been playing for 3 weeks through 2 patches, 2.7 and 2.8 and never had this problem, this all started as soon as the servers were up after patch 2.9.

Sort it out ZOS or i'm gonna miss out on the Black Panther :(
  • Sreja_Bone
    Sreja_Bone
    ✭✭✭
    Add me to the list, I'm more in line with Xepla's problem. Never know when I'm going to hit a loading screen and crash, <<1>>, then hit or miss on getting hung at "requesting character load" when I try to get back in, seems to help if I wait 15 minutes or so to try.
    Did everything on the list, plus went through it all again with CS. Going to try putting it on another pc and see what happens; was going to buy the Xbox version for my daughter......needless to say, that's not happening now.
  • lorddarcek
    Happening also to me since i came back to play Unlimited.

Error <<1>> (a) randomly, for no apparent reason
    -may not always receive an error

Error <<1>> (c) for changing charcters

mostly happen when i try to log into another charcter...it hangs long then boot me out with the <<1>> error
    taiji2078
    ✭✭✭
    Hey!

I have to PC's in the same room. Both are connected to the same router. One is working, the other cannot load characters and it returns Error <<1>>. Again, I want to play the same account on both computers (not at the same time, OFC), since the one that works on router is the one that my daughter uses for her games and projects. The only way I can play ESO on the second computer is connecting it to my 3G USB teether.

I guess this is only that weird security setting that ESO implements, to avoid account stealing. If you try running the same account on multiple machines in your house, make sure you have a different internet connection for each one of them.

Good luck !
    Edited by taiji2078 on May 30, 2015 8:11PM
    Magicka Pet High Elf Sorcerer , Magicka High Elf Nightblade, Magicka High Elf Templar, Imperial Warden Tank
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    taiji2078 wrote: »
    This is just sad ... I have 2 PC's on the same LAN, manually configured local IP.

I play this game from my newest PC without problems. This PC has 8gb RAM - DDR3 - 1600mhz.
    When I try to play the game minutes later, from my old PC (with only 4GB of RAM DR2 800mhz) comes out this error <<1>>.

The computers have identical graphic cards, same SSD from Samsung, both on Asus mainboards, quad core Intel CPU . The quantity of RAM is different, since the older PC was more for internet TV & regular games.

The new PC where the game is working, has Windows 7 64 Home Edition.
    The old PC, where the game isn't working, is on Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

I copied the game from the PC that is working, same error 1 on the old PC. I downloaded the game on the old PC again, same error 1.

The computers are on the same router, one is working, one is not. On the old computer (that doesn't work) I get to see my characters and when the loading starts, to join the game with the selected character, it takes me back to the login screen with this error.

I will perform later today a RAM test on the old PC, but for me it's not a connection issue, it's a RAM issue. Maybe 4GB aren't enough anymore with the 2.0 update ?!

Anyway, World of Warcraft and AION are working fine on both PC's, with same graphic level. ESO instead is working only on the 8GB machine ... strange.

Maybe this will help. I don't know.

Good luck !

I will only play the game from my new PC now. BTW, I also tested on my 4GB ram laptop and I get the same <<1>> error ... :neutral:

LE: after 1 hour and 30 minutes of intensive testing, the 4gb on the older PC didn't return any errors (with memtest86).

One more thing ... cannot be the built in security feature the cause of this error ?! ... since I'm trying to play the same account from 2 different computers, when I first installed the game on both machines, I had the error on both that it cannot validate current version and then instead of play i had the "repair" button only. The 4gb machine is always stuck on "logging character" and then returns error 1.

My rig is slightly (ok massively) on the old side, Q8200 CPU, 8gb DDR2 RAM and a GTX 660 2gb GPU.

However, even with this old rig I play on ultra with only shadows reduced to high and view distance reduced to 75.

Now I don't PvP (playing from China makes it pointless) so I am sure I'd have to go even lower than that. But my FPS usually hover around 40-50 in open world PVE and a solid 60 FPS in doors, cities usually drop to 20-40 depending on the crowd.

I cannot explain, or even begin to think what has happened to my game. I am in contact with support, they have said the usual stuff, delting files, moving folders etc... and they have tried to blame my ISP. I play from China yes, but it isn't my ISP, if it was I would have connection issues all the time and I don't. When I can eventually get in the game, I can load any of my 8 characters up who are all in different zones, and I can play fine until I want to move zones or enter a delve or something. Then and only then, is when I get kicked with error <<1>>.

I believe it is a problem with the megaserver technology, and kicking people but maybe not recognizing the fact they have been kicked.

How do I know it's not my ISP, the other day, on the loading screen when is was hanging at 'Requestin CHaracter Load" I unplugged my router and the game didn't even recognize I had done this, is was still just sitting there requesting character load.

Like I said, the only thing that has allowed me to log in to the game reliably is a complete deletion of all files, even the ones in my documents, every single ESO related file. Then a reinstall, and one time I change my compatibility mode to WIN7 and this worked... once!

However none of these have actually gotten rid of the error when I go to travel. If I don't travel then great, I can play until my hearts content, I just can't travel.

Makes no sense.

Anyway kind of given up now, I came back after playing better + 2 months after release. I left then because of NB's were totally broken and so were stamina builds. I came back to see what's changed, and well while I was enjoying myself for 3 weeks, didn't take long for other problems to arise.

This game is a mess, I am not the only one with this issue, Zeni don't even no what <<1>> is, they have no answer, and this has been appearing for over 3 months now.

If they fix it then great, if not, there other MMO's that work for me perfectly fine SWTOR being one, although I need a VPN to connect, but I can tune it off once connected and my ping is always a stable 200-250, only slightly better than this game. But definitely more stable.

I'm kind of glad it happened now, because I was just about to sub for 6 months to get the black panther, I would have been annoyed subbing for 6 months then this happening.
  • Sreja_Bone
    Sreja_Bone
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I just loaded on a brand new pc, just built today, nothing on the SSD but Win 8.1, the drivers for the GTX960, and the mobo drivers besides the game. Nothing on the HDD but what I redirected there from Windows.

Logged in, and here I sit at my old pc (that every other game in the world works on) - watching the blue load icon spin for the last 10 minutes at "requesting character load" on my spanking new computer on the other corner of the desk.

Guess it's on to the tweaks with a hope, a prayer, and some shakes of a shaman's rattle.
    Edited by Sreja_Bone on May 25, 2015 1:29AM
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    Zeni don't even no what <<1>> is, they have no answer, and this has been appearing for over 3 months now.

One of the mods had this to say about error <<1>>
    Error <<1>> usually occurs when there is a connection issue between your system and our servers.

I'm still hoping someone will post an official list of common ESO errors.

This discussion has been closed.