The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Feedback: 1.6 - Problems with 30 CPs and new Ultimate generation (@ZOS)

• BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    Razzak wrote: »

Part 1: Initial Champion Points
    As already discussed, debated, and confirmed by @ZOS_GinaBruno‌, @ZOS decided to break their promise that earned EXP now,

Surely, as a supposed software designer, you would recognize that a statement made about the current iteration of a project that is not only incomplete but untested and unbalanced is not a "promise".

It depends on the way a promise is worded. Maria's was not one about the current iteration on an incomplete, untested and unbalanced system. It was a promise of a value of our work being recognized.

Did you read something nobody else did? There was no promise made, she said how the current unfinished version was planned, and in the next two sentences spoke about how they still had no idea how it was all going to play out. How does that not come off as unfinished? As for untested - it's still not even on the pts.

ZOS_MariaAliprando wrote: »
    Continue to play! We are tracking your XP as you advance your way through Veteran Ranks and even past VR14. When the Champion System comes out we will reward you points right away based on the amount of XP you have earned up to a cap.

Undeniably a promise.

Finish the quote. Undeniably a statement made about unfinished code.

Quote is finished, its clearly and undeniably a promise as worded.

Cherry picking from a full statement is cute and all, but I hope you realize the difference - even if you're too upset about the change to admit it right now.

I can understand your confusion, since you are not in our profession (software design), and as a layperson, you don't really understand the quote. For example, you think the quote is from Maria Aliprando. Of course, it's not, it's from Zenimax Online Studios via one of their employees. That is just one example of the kind of misunderstanding most players on this forum have about ZOS' promise.

The business implication in what ZOS wrote in that promise is financial gain via a false promise. As many others have mentioned, they would have simply canceled if they knew the truth.

I am in the profession, but I don't feel the need to express it because I don't fill my posts with useless fluff in an attempt to give it weight. The gaming background is especially hilarious:
    Nobody cares.

It's clear that you are not in active development of non-user initiated content where you are not beholden to a spec that the user has purchased pre-development. This is developer initiated content - and they reserve the right to change anything and everything despite the tears that follow.

Please attempt to keep your "software experience" hard on in check, your voice means no more than anybody else's.

This is all moot anyway, as nowhere was there a double pinky super secret friends forever cross-my-heart promise made. Melodrama isn't constructive.

[Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on December 31, 2014 4:16PM
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's really nice to see a thread on this issue that provides helpful suggestions laid out in a logical fashion.

We haven't actually seen what 1.6 is going to look like and how it's going to function yet though. Where I come from we don't call features "flaws" and suggest "fixes" for them until we test them first.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As already discussed, debated, and confirmed by @ZOS_GinaBruno‌, @ZOS decided to break their promise that earned EXP now,

Surely, as a supposed software designer, you would recognize that a statement made about the current iteration of a project that is not only incomplete but untested and unbalanced is not a "promise".

It depends on the way a promise is worded. Maria's was not one about the current iteration on an incomplete, untested and unbalanced system. It was a promise of a value of our work being recognized.

Did you read something nobody else did? There was no promise made, she said how the current unfinished version was planned, and in the next two sentences spoke about how they still had no idea how it was all going to play out. How does that not come off as unfinished? As for untested - it's still not even on the pts.

Continue to play! We are tracking your XP as you advance your way through Veteran Ranks and even past VR14. When the Champion System comes out we will reward you points right away based on the amount of XP you have earned up to a cap.

Undeniably a promise.

Cherry picking from a full statement is cute and all, but I hope you realize the difference - even if you're too upset about the change to admit it right now.

I can understand your confusion, since you are not in our profession (software design), and as a layperson, you don't really understand the quote. For example, you think the quote is from Maria Aliprando. Of course, it's not, it's from Zenimax Online Studios via one of their employees. That is just one example of the kind of misunderstanding most players on this forum have about ZOS' promise.

The business implication in what ZOS wrote in that promise is financial gain via a false promise. As many others have mentioned, they would have simply canceled if they knew the truth.

I am in the profession, but I don't feel the need to express it because I don't fill my posts with useless fluff in an attempt to give it weight. The gaming background is especially hilarious:
    Nobody cares.

It's clear that you are not in active development of non-user initiated content where you are not beholden to a spec that the user has purchased pre-development. This is developer initiated content - and they reserve the right to change anything and everything despite the tears that follow.

Please attempt to keep your "software experience" hard on in check, your voice means no more than anybody else's.

This is all moot anyway, as nowhere was there a double pinky super secret friends forever cross-my-heart promise made. Melodrama isn't constructive.

Its ironic that you would imply that having 24 years of software design experience "doesn't make me more qualified than anyone else." Um, of course it does. I have more experience designing software than some of those people on ESO Live have been alive. Claiming that this vast experience doesn't carry more weight than some random 15 yr old posting on this forum is ridiculous on its face.

If there were exactly 0 threads about this 30CP issue, then maybe your opinion that "none of this matters" would hold some relevance. But its quite obvious to the rest of us that ZoS made a design decision that is both bad in terms of logic, and in terms of reputation/trust with its current player base.

I've suggested a fix to this problem in the OP of this thread that would fix the actual problem - one of breaking promises and eroding trust - without changing "game balance" in the slightest. All ZoS has to do, is admit it's a better option and implement it (or something like it).

• Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "effort players have put into your game, and it will not affect game balance in the slightest."

A character level is not a measure of effort.
    Edited by Amsel_McKay on December 30, 2014 6:56PM
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "effort players have put into your game, and it will not affect game balance in the slightest."

Of course it is, don't be ridiculous.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure, it is. But only one of many. I would also add:

Achievement points.
    PvP rank.
    Leaderboard participation
    Level of armor, weapon, guild and other skill lines
    Amount of skill points
    Overall crafting progression.
    Amount of gold in your bank.
    Maybe even the size of your friend-list lol?

Regardless, someone accomplished in most areas above, naturally have a high level character :stuck_out_tongue:
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Undeniably a promise.

Nobody cares.

Its ironic that you would imply that having 24 years of software design experience "doesn't make me more qualified than anyone else." Um, of course it does. I have more experience designing software than some of those people on ESO Live have been alive. Claiming that this vast experience doesn't carry more weight than some random 15 yr old posting on this forum is ridiculous on its face.

If there were exactly 0 threads about this 30CP issue, then maybe your opinion that "none of this matters" would hold some relevance. But its quite obvious to the rest of us that ZoS made a design decision that is both bad in terms of logic, and in terms of reputation/trust with its current player base.

I've suggested a fix to this problem in the OP of this thread that would fix the actual problem - one of breaking promises and eroding trust - without changing "game balance" in the slightest. All ZoS has to do, is admit it's a better option and implement it (or something like it).

You are forum member #xxxxxx, not a 24 year software experienced consultant that ZOS has hired and placed stake in. As such, even if it makes you frowny face, your opinion weighs as much as the tween who wants Nightblades to dual weild bows. Your claims for experience fall on deaf ears especially considering (if your claims are even taken at face value) the whole spectrum of poor to phenomenal system design mixed bag that career developers come in.

That said, the problem with the rebalancing to the Champion system is the lack of new landscape pve to eat through with release as Cadwell completionists have likely no questing option. This is purely for the sake of content diversity.

The whole business of "ZOS lied and broke their promise, they gave their word and now I can't trust them anymore" is false because no promise was made. If anything, ZOS should take away from this that the community is not mature enough to be told about any future content until 100% of the features are set in stone.

As for starting CP, imo the number is irrelevant as even your suggested 50 is so minute that players would still be more or less equal. I would be fine should your opinion turn out to be the direction ZOS internally decides to go as I mostly take issue with the notion that people were somehow deceived when in reality they don't understand the development process. If we take in to account that we were told how the system changed in ESO live we will have had a month+ window of knowledge of the changes - it's not like they kept quiet until update day and sprung it on the community. You can think it's a bad decision -feel free - but calling it a "broken promise" is just hyperbole.

• onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heishi wrote: »
    As you said, the 30CP "equalizer" will only matter for all of a day or two. So... really the whole argument that some complicated combination of characters should lead to an extra 4 or 5CP is moot.

As was also stated, there is supposed to be heavily diminished returns, to the point they talked about multiplying all stats by 1k just so you could see the difference.

Basically your min/maxers are gonna flail and try to get all the points to boost stats a miniscule amount that will likely be easily overcome by a little more skill on the players part.

For your average player that getting that extra 5 dps so they can have 2005 dps instead of 2000dps really isn't going to make much of an impact.

What I actually worry for the VR14 people is attribute points. Via one of the last patches, they made it to where you get an attribute each VR level in exchange for less increased stats all around. I wonder if they will get scaled down and lose those 13 attribute points or what will happen there

Great, so since you agree its moot, then we should obviously get the extra CPs.

Glad you agree.
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a gentle reminder to stick to discussing the original topic presented and not stray into bickering and personal attacks. We understand that tensions can run high, but taking jabs at one another is not a constructive way to discuss the ideas laid out in the original post.

We encourage all posters to use the report feature to alert the moderation team of any suspected Code of Conduct violations rather than replying in-thread, as this can needlessly sidetrack and escalate a situation. And remember: sometimes it's best to agree to disagree.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be awesome if we could get some sort of official response to these ideas, even if only "read by a dev" (as opposed to a forum mod).
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be awesome if we could get some sort of official response to these ideas, even if only "read by a dev" (as opposed to a forum mod).

Hopefully they are back from vacation ?
    :D
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully they are back from vacation ?
    :D

^ LFC (looking for comment)