Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cherry Picking Rune farmers

springbound
Why haven't you or I found Kuta recently? Cherry Picking rune farmers are why.
Yes, now they run around leaving many aspect runes but not kuta and rarely rekuta. If they start to pick them they put them back to have the rest of us think we are farming the whole lot of them but they are going through and cherry picking the kuta only or kuta and rekuta. I watched a farmer doing it today. Personally I am sick of this, if people do that they should have nothing but ta pop for them or if they start to pick them they should auto pick at that point. There has to be some way to level the playing field for those of us who prefer not to start playing like that - they not only skip the essence and potency runes so the rest of us have less of a chance to get aspects. If we go through and pick them all - they cherry pick so we rarely get the better runes because we are slower for picking everything. There has to be some solution that gives us all a fair shot at the better runes or is joining them the best solution?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just grab any rune when I go looking for them, if I can use them to increase my crafting level, cool, if I can't then I sell/destroy them.

I can't be bothered looking for specific runes, besides if you harvest the node respawns. The respawn might have the rune you want.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Aenra
    Aenra
    ✭✭✭✭
    i have made a couple of posts in regards to this;
    it is not just Kutas, they are but one of numerous consequences resulting from how the game was designed:

- you got a limited inventory that costs a lot to fully upgrade
    - you got a limited bank inventory that costs a lot to fully upgrade
    - even if you are past lvl20-30, where it is not longer a matter of cost, there are so many mats in this game, inventory does still -remain- a problem
    - this results in people being (self censored) selfish and picky. They loot the cloth, leave the worm that came with it for the next to find, effing him over doubly as a) they get nothing, b) this way the node won't respawn its content. They don't care
    - as if all this was not enough, someone was so so very imaginative, he/she decided to make separate nodes (hi guyZ! Dis aspect node, fat lootz here!!) (rare dropz!!111! Chestz olny11!!) so as to further motivate said players in being picky
    - to add the prerequisite cherry on top, someone designed both the areas and the nodes in such a way so as to endorse the spreading of such a behaviour in as many, and as broad a spectrum as possible (see VR20000s going back to starter areas for their farming sessions)
    - because why stop now? someone also went ahead (i have mentioned elsewhere this is inspired by Sheogorath himself) and mixed mats for provisioning, mats for alchemy, recipes to level provisioning, and the most sought after thing ever, motifs, in the same type of containers! Because fun!

and you wonder about Kutas? :)
    Pride, honour and purity
  • Calluna
    Calluna
    ✭✭✭
    There are not separate nodes for aspect runes. At least I have never seen that and I farm a lot of runes.
  • Black_Wolf88
    Black_Wolf88
    ✭✭✭
    actually, I have found more kutas after this tuesdays patch then I did in between the patch on tuesday and the one before it. and it has only been a few days too.

Imo the main problem is that people who gather runes in vr9-10 zones + craglorn tend to skip essence runes and most of the times potency runes. thus they dont respawn with a chance of being aspect runes. that is the bigger problem compared to the low "drop" rate of kutas.

green,blue and purple runes is not rare at all and you get a decent amount of them. though mostly white Ta's and very few kutas.
    "The key to immportality is first living a life worth remembering." -Bruce Lee
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All crafting nodes should just be forced auto-loot. Or at least auto-despawn after someone looks at them.
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes when I'm out wandering and my bags are full, I can loot the main item (because I already have a stack started in my bag) but there's no room for the worm. Nothing I can do about those, but usually I'll just loot the worm and then destroy it to get it out of my bag.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I generally stop at any rune node I see but, since I'm not paying attention to my inventory slots, don't realise the inventory is full. This forces me to walk away from the node or destroy something within it, usually I just walk away.

Are you certain that the people walking away from an unharvested rune node don't simply have a full inventory?
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calluna wrote: »
    There are not separate nodes for aspect runes. At least I have never seen that and I farm a lot of runes.
    That seems to be correct. As far as i can tell, a rune node can spawn any of the 3 types.
    ;-)
  • Aenra
    Aenra
    ✭✭✭✭
    jeesus..

economy of space people, what i meant was each node signifies its type, helping said category of people dismiss it before hand or run to it
    Pride, honour and purity
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the annoyance of worms and such, but why does everyone act like this stuff sticks around. All the mats reload every so often, that Ta that is left in the node will eventually become some other rune at some point (not even another aspect), the same way it will respawn once someone takes it.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is really no point in complaining about peoples' behavior for being selective about what they put in their bag. They are following biologic programming to be selfish. Even this thread is selfish.....control bad behavior so I get more of what I want. Reminds me of Survivor, where the guys at the end got there by being best at lying and backstabbing, only to have the jury punish them even though every jury member was doing the same thing, just not as well.

ZOS created a limited inventory system designed to force players to be selective about what they collect. Players who leave Ta and worms are just responding to this system. My solution is to adapt to their behavior. I welcome all aspect runes, even Ta. I make a lot of money selling cheap glyphs made from those Ta. I used to leave worms if my bag was full, and get annoyed when I found only worms in a node. My perspective has changed now that fishing works and I need the bait. I love finding worm only nodes. And people, DO NOT DESTROY worms. I'll buy them, so long as you don't try to gouge me :).
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    There is really no point in complaining about peoples' behavior for being selective about what they put in their bag. They are following biologic programming to be selfish. Even this thread is selfish.....control bad behavior so I get more of what I want.

So you think criticising people for negative ehaviour traits is counter-productive??

That people can't learn to be better behaved than their genetics.

Well I say Balderdash, and Poppycock.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is really no point in complaining about peoples' behavior for being selective about what they put in their bag. They are following biologic programming to be selfish. Even this thread is selfish.....control bad behavior so I get more of what I want.

So you think criticising people for negative ehaviour traits is counter-productive??

That people can't learn to be better behaved than their genetics.

Well I say Balderdash, and Poppycock.
    Hmmmm....don't remember saying people are always selfish in every circumstance. I just made a generalization about human nature. If you don't think there is some truth to it, try watching the news for 5 minutes. It is also human for people to be self-sacrificing at times. I personally think it's a waste of time to complain about the kind of behavior this thread is directed to when it's really a small minority of players guilty of it ( or you'd see a lot more worm only nodes), and there are valid reasons for doing it in the first place...ie the issue with bag space. Instead, make lemonade out of lemons-pick up all the non-Kuta runes and worms, and sell them or fish. There is a market for this stuff.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • springbound
    So I gave this a test yesterday when I caught another in the act of leaving a rune they were picking up. Checked and yup it was a ta so I told him to pick his own runes and started doing the same in the loop. In less than an hour the loop was full only aspects were ta. I checked the loop a few times in the following hour nothing changed. So 1) he wasn't the only one doing it I saw several rune riders go through, I counted 5 so lots of folks doing it. 2) Never saw this re-spawn thing happen, I checked the runes each time I went through. I just can't understand the logic in this - either the best runes or nothing ? Drove me crazy going through with nothing changing but seems to be the norm for the rune riders. Now I watch for them everywhere and guess what? They are there! Any place runes can be plentiful. This is not a function of full packs or just one person doing it. Got to say it really makes me angry that people are like this game or not.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I am not entirely convinced of this. The rune locations in Cyrodiil seem to be more static than the locations in the PVE zones. I will start paying more attention during my travels in Cyrodiil in the coming days.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I should know better than to post an opposing point of view, but I think it's needed for some fairness in this thread. I really understand the sentiment that cherry pickers are 'bad'. I've pulled plenty of nodes with nothing but worms or Ta, and seen essence runes left unharvested for hours. It used to irritate me extremely. Now, I count it as a blessing. Since I fish, I'm thankful to find free bait that might otherwise have been destroyed by some well meaning player with the good conscience to clear a node but sees the worm as trash. As I harvest runes, I consider my luck that a node has any rune, be it a Ta or an essence. They have value to me, and I've got the gold to show it.
    Cherry pickers paid for the game, like everyone else. ZOS apparently does not consider them to be a problem, or they would be gone like the gold vendors and bots are. You may not like their behavior, but they have as much right (paid for), to play their way as you do to play your way. The limited inventory actually seem to drive players to be cherry pickers. I admit to leaving a node with worm on more than one occasion when my bag was full....the space was too valuable to be taken up by trash, and I wasn't going to risk having an ingredient snatched from me while I try to make room in my bag. I used to leave Ta and essence runes as wasted bag space. That was before I found how much gold I can make by turning them into glyphs to sell.
    You followed a cherry picker to confirm your suspicions, but guess what...to an outside observer your behavior was identical to a cherry picker.
    I'll say it again, cherry pickers are no more wrong than you are right. People have different values, sometimes opposing values. Go ahead and let it bug you if you want, but that will change nothing. If you want to change something, consider changing your attitude, much as I did. It's the only thing you can control.
    PC/NA/DC
  • springbound
    [You followed a cherry picker to confirm your suspicions, but guess what...to an outside observer your behavior was identical to a cherry picker.]

The big difference was I was not using and/or stealing (depending on your point of view) from another player. I picked the place clean and went back for the re-pops. Not one person that followed me picked anything but aspect runes that were not ta in that area.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    That seems to be correct. As far as i can tell, a rune node can spawn any of the 3 types.
    ;-)

I agree. I believe that if you found a rune node, harvested it, then waited for the node to regenerate, you will likely get a different type of rune. Its what keeps people from farming one particular spot into oblivion.
    Give 'er eh!
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huh? I do not see how cherry pickers affect me. These are not EVE asteroids.
  • jcost4o
    jcost4o
    Soul Shriven
    I don't see the logic of everyone complaining about someone leaving a found rune in place. Personally I take all the runes I find but if and when I have a stack of whatever, why should I take it again? Just so someone behind me can find a possibly respawned higher rune?? Doesn't make sense. Now talking clothing/alchemy mats, different story...makes me mad, but they got there first.
  • Nightreaver
    Nightreaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    jcost4o wrote: »
    I don't see the logic of everyone complaining about someone leaving a found rune in place. Personally I take all the runes I find but if and when I have a stack of whatever, why should I take it again? Just so someone behind me can find a possibly respawned higher rune?? Doesn't make sense. Now talking clothing/alchemy mats, different story...makes me mad, but they got there first.

I imagine because if everyone else did the same thing as you then all you would ever find is the trash that everyone would be leaving.

Edited by Nightreaver on September 10, 2014 10:20PM
    If they ever create a Legendary recipe it better contain bacon as one of the ingredients. I'm just sayin'.
  • Nightreaver
    Nightreaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even this thread is selfish.....control bad behavior so I get more of what I want.
    I can't agree with you there. When someone leaves the trash items, the odds are extremely small that I would be the next one to harvest that node so in most cases it would have no effect on me personally at all. I would still want that behavior stopped even if it only benefited someone else. Even if it would mean more competition to me, I would still much rather see someone else gather something useful than to waste time picking up someone else's garbage.

That's not a question of greed, it's the expectation that in doing for others what you would have done for you, that you expect, or at least hope for the same consideration in return.

Edited by Nightreaver on September 10, 2014 10:22PM
    If they ever create a Legendary recipe it better contain bacon as one of the ingredients. I'm just sayin'.
  • alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe someone complaining about another not taking a ressource before himself. I would be very happy with whatever rune he lefts. Where is the problem? If he takes the rune what do you have? Nothing! You have to wait for a respawn. If you take the rune, you have the rune AND can wait for a respawn. You have as much chances to find a high-level rune than anybody else, provided you are there first as with all nodes and chests.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This could be fixed easily. Just set all resources nodes on a respawn timer. After X amount of time, it automatically respawns into a new node as if it were picked up.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. If you're in AD on the EU server you're in luck. :P
    I scavenge zones daily for mats. And i pick up everything including Ta's! :P
    Edited by Maotti on September 11, 2014 2:26AM
    PC EU
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    This could be fixed easily. Just set all resources nodes on a respawn timer. After X amount of time, it automatically respawns into a new node as if it were picked up.
    Isn't this the way it works already?
  • springbound

[ This could be fixed easily. Just set all resources nodes on a respawn timer. After X amount of time, it automatically respawns into a new node as if it were picked up.]

{ Isn't this the way it works already? }

Unfortunately - no, if there is a respawn timer it takes quite a while (more than a few hours).

I think the method above could work if it is a quick timer or it could be fixed by blind runes that stack and you find out what they are at the enchanting table. Then everyone really has an equal chance at the better runes.
  • TRIP233
    TRIP233
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the idea. I'll be sure to leave you the Ta's.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gillysan wrote: »
    Isn't this the way it works already?

If it does the timer is to long.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• springbound
    [ Where is the problem? If he takes the rune what do you have? Nothing! You have to wait for a respawn. If you take the rune, you have the rune AND can wait for a respawn. You have as much chances to find a high-level rune than anybody else, provided you are there first as with all nodes and chests. ]

I spent several hours farming yesterday. After 5 hours of leisurely farming (picking all categories of resources) I had 17 ta, a few jejota /denta, 1 rekuta and a lot of essence and potency. So I picked a small area and only picked runes for a 1/2 hour (I picked all the runes here), in that time I got 8 rekuta, a kuta, and quite a bit of jejota and denta along with some essence & potency.
    I rode by a lot of resources I would normally farm but this was the only way to beat the cherry pickers to the better aspect runes.

While this method was effective it was not fun - I felt stressed and it didn't feel good. I don't play the game to feel stressed and it doesn't feel good being used by the cherry pickers either. They have to come up with a better way to make it fair for everyone.

I like the idea of very quick respawn and shuffling of the kind of runes or the blind runes and we find out later. If there will always be cherry pickers then let's level the playing field.