The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "The Road Ahead – June 4th"

• fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AelyinESO wrote: »
    [*] About Low Vet XP gained.
    Agreed,

When the level cap was VR10 the original XP made sense, 1 VR level per VR zone, but with the arrival of VR12 .. and VR14, even though ZOS have said it's not coming in 1.2 it IS coming, the glyphs show this .. the VR zone XP needs to rise to provide an alternate to the group-or-GTFO content in Craglorn and its follow-on ZOS have already said is coming.
  • Mallius
    Mallius
    I would like to see the problem with phasing in groups addressed, it was promised 4 patches ago and nothing has been done about it yet and no news has been published about how far a long the fix is either....... I still cant play with my friends without only playing with my friend when they are online and being very disciplined and not doing quests ahead of them. Its very frustrating still.
  • drakevalianceub17_ESO
    drakevalianceub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    yes for now if you want to quest with friends you have to have a separate character dedicated to playing with that person so you can make sure you are on the same stage of the same quests.
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes for now if you want to quest with friends you have to have a separate character dedicated to playing with that person so you can make sure you are on the same stage of the same quests.
    This is exactly correct, and annoying as hell.
    The phasing issue has been posted about since back the beta.
    Still no fix.
    Still no ETA on a fix
    ... and No, ZOS, "we are working on it" doesn't cut it anymore.

Currently, it seems that ZOS simply doesn't care about the lack of group play ... In this MMO. <facepalm>
    To top it off: "let's release a content expansion that *requires* grouping!" (Read as: "let's highlight ALL of the grouping issues and failures ... All in one go, shall we?")

The lack of forethought running rampant in the design of ESO is simply staggering.

I want ESO to succeed, and the game has serious potential, but these continued failures in basic design are making it Very hard to continue to support the game.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mallius wrote: »
    I would like to see the problem with phasing in groups addressed, it was promised 4 patches ago
    Please provide a link to where ZOS anything remotely like that.

They said some time ago they were working on it, but anyone with common sense would realise this problem is deeply-rooted in the design of the phasing system that it'll take more that a 'patch' to deal with it.

• fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GTech_1 wrote: »
    The lack of forethought running rampant in the design of ESO is simply staggering.

I want ESO to succeed, and the game has serious potential, but these continued failures in basic design are making it Very hard to continue to support the game.
    Totally agree.

Given ZOS had 15+ years of post-1990s group-or-GTFO MMOs to learn from, they still managed to come up with something that's a dog's breakfast of often mutually-exclusive gameplay styles, threw them together and expected mass adulation.

The huge potential this game had was evident from the first beta session I played, but ZOS seem to be doing their level best to eradicate it entirely. If Craglorn group-or-GBTFO is the PVE future then the game doesn't have one as I see it, new forced-group games aren't going to survive in today's MMO market there aren't enough 'hardcores'; to pay the bills and I see no evidence there's any market at all for F2P group-or-GTFO games.
  • nakorurueb17_ESO
    nakorurueb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    So, still $65 for the box, another $35 to break one playable race's paywall — and yet another $15 to "unlock the free month", eh? Good times, good times.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, still $65 for the box, another $35 to break one playable race's paywall — and yet another $15 to "unlock the free month", eh? Good times, good times.
    Plenty of 'bargain bin' sources, as some haters are happy to point out in several recent threads, Imperial is clearly 100% optional and no, you don't pay anything to unlock the 'free month' unless you choose to use one of the few payment methods whose providers don't allow validation checks.

Stop peddling an entirely and deliberately false description of this aspect of the game.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 18, 2014 9:19AM
  • nakorurueb17_ESO
    nakorurueb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    <...>
    Stop peddling an entirely and deliberately false description of this aspect of the game.
    Still $65 for the (bug-ridden, gold-farming, item-dupping, EU-server-in-US-laggy) box, man, still $65 for the box...
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <...>
    Still $65 for the (bug-ridden, gold-farming, item-dupping, EU-server-in-US-laggy) box, man, still $65 for the box...
    Nope:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/996285

just as I said.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 18, 2014 10:21AM
  • Mallius
    Mallius
    Mallius wrote: »
    I would like to see the problem with phasing in groups addressed, it was promised 4 patches ago
    Please provide a link to where ZOS anything remotely like that.

They said some time ago they were working on it, but anyone with common sense would realise this problem is deeply-rooted in the design of the phasing system that it'll take more that a 'patch' to deal with it.

Yea sorry poorly written, It was promised that they were working on it 4 patches ago, but we haven't been told anything else about it!

That was the point I was trying to make, we need information, I need to know that it is worth holding out on this game because an mmorpg where I am severely limited in terms of playing with friends is no good for me and I don't think I'm the only one thinking that way now.
  • Isende
    Isende
    ✭✭
    Logan9a wrote: »
    irre_greg wrote: »
    Curious about dungeons leveling to the group leader. Does this mean we could actually replay (grind) in dungeons and actually get loot and experience? Or does it simply mean that dungeons will auto level to the leader and that you can still only go through it once for rewards?

You might want to consider having the dungeons auto level to the highest leveled player in the group as opposed to the group leader.

As a side note, I've always disagreed with the concept of being over leveled. Lower level monsters give lower level loot and experience. That's the check and balance. 5 levels is too small a spread. How about over leveled if 20 levels above current creature?

There was some MMO I played (don't remember which) that had 'mentoring'. You could set your level down and thus be able to adventure with your buddies. It scaled you back though you were a fairly powerful lower level guy. In MMO's it is important to be able to adventure with your buddies and that is one of the weaknesses of this game. If you've already completed a quest and brought peace to the area, you are not even able to see the monsters and help your buddy on the quest.

Rather than scaling up the dungeons, I'd rather be able to scale down my character.

gw2 came out with a system that automatically set you to the same level as any zone you were wandering in. this worked marvelously for people to be able to play with friends who may've been new to the game, and so on. rift, after gw2 launched, offered the ability to "mentor" by choosing to set your level to the same level as wherever you were. this was done so those who require the "op" feel of being 50 levels above content could maintain it, and those who wished to quest with friends, etc, could do so.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isende wrote: »
    gw2 came out with a system that automatically set you to the same level as any zone you were wandering in. this worked marvelously for people to be able to play with friends who may've been new to the game, and so on. rift, after gw2 launched, offered the ability to "mentor" by choosing to set your level to the same level as wherever you were. this was done so those who require the "op" feel of being 50 levels above content could maintain it, and those who wished to quest with friends, etc, could do so.
    Level scaling (downwards) has been around a long time, I first saw it in FFXI in 2005 when Square Enix level-capped story missions in the Promathia expansion; SE later expanded down-scaling to over-world content as well with the 'level sync' feature.

I mention that as it differed from GW2 in one important aspect.

With GW2 you get down-leveled and your gear down-scales BUT you keep all your real level skills, whereas in the FFXI variant you really do 'become' the lower level and lose access to skills gained beyond that.

IMO the FFXI implementation is a lot better, it's far more 'realistic', whereas with GW2 you're still massively OP as you can use any skill you have unlocked.

Now, in ESO's case FFXI-like scaling would be hard as skill unlocks are based on SPs not levels and even at level 3 it's possible to have something like 15 SPs if you go to each faction zone and get every over-world Skyshard, something I've done at level 10.

Thus there's no sensible way ZOS could transform a level 50 to, say, level 21 and produce anything like a 'realistic' build.

Of course, those wanting to 'help' someone else where 'help' means a high level going in and one-shotting a boss the lowbie can't beat won't mind, however many of those asking for this are alleging they want 'real' level scaling and I don't see that's possible given ESO's skill mechanics.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on June 19, 2014 6:15AM
  • Captain_Scheisse
    Captain_Scheisse
    Soul Shriven
    well nice.. in vr my dragonnight has a survivability next to zero.. and one thing wich should be fixed is that ultra laggy slow and tar like gameplay... if i sometimes have 1 second freeze in a ifght or im not able to switch weapons because its so laggy... than anything esle is cosmetic.. its like making some nice flashy new colors on a bucket of lard.. still lard ... i quit my subscription.. next one or check back in a year
  • ToxGondii
    ToxGondii
    Soul Shriven
    One important thing must be changed in the game: The world/map is huge - but the world FEELS small!! Why? because it is chopped into tiny pieces. How? The fact that different leveling areas can only be accessed at certain points plus have a loading screen cuts the world into separate areas. But what is cutting the world even more into pieces is the fact that you don't actually have to travel the world. Instead you teleport. The abundant possibilities to teleport totally destroy the feeling for distance, beauty and vastness of the world!! This teleporting feature contradicts the basic principle of MMO's: THERE IS COOL STUFF - BUT YOU HAVE TO WORK FOR IT:
    - you have to work for higher level
    - you have to work for better gear
    - you have to work for better/faster mode of transportation
    - you have to work for unlocking new content/areas.
    and so on...
    I think the ability to travel fast should be something rare and it should be something to work for: A rare potion, an ability at very high rank, a secret and rare item, a dragon that grants you three rides in exchange for a gift that you finde in (...). And if you fast-travel, you should at least see the vastness of the map: like the incredible Jump in Morrorwind for example. Imagine flying over Tamriel, even if it was all blurry and fast...it would be so cool and it would make you fee that you have actually crossed a lot of space.
    In short: Make mode of transportation something to work for and be proud of. Restore the feeling for space and distance.
    ( that would be one of my many wishes for the future of the game )
  • ToxGondii
    ToxGondii
    Soul Shriven
    Are all features that bring huge success for a game related to huge programming efforts and hardware requirements? I don't thinks so. ESO has great graphics and is huge, still it is only 'borderline addictive'. One contributing factor is the fact that it is always the same: You walk around, do quests, walk around, kill, walk around, do quest, do dungeon, do another dungeon.... In order to keep the game exiting something has to change. If you have played a few levels you basically know everything that may happen: It's another dungeon, It's another quest, It's another group dungeon.... boring.
    My suggestion is to have more variation of what can happen:
    - Light (a simple thing) make dungeons/forests where you cannot see anything without a torch.
    - Implement deadly NPCs in a lower level zone that cannot be defeated but have to be evaded.
    - Make stuff that happens only at night. Make areas to avoid at night.
    - Vary the scales of dungeons from: takes 3 minutes to cross to takes hours to get lost in.
    - Terrain: Go deeper, Go higher. Make dungeons that take 5 minutes to descent to - Make mountains that take long to climb but give a great view.
    - What if certain spells don't work in certain areas?
    - Vary the city size go smaller and go way larger.
    - Make zones that are rich in loot and material but have a risk of loosing the gear that you are wearing! (an incentive for grouping? or risk it and go alone so that you get more loot)
    - Make areas that can only be accessed with certain gear.. maybe because it is to cold or to hot there.
    - Make content aside from quests and make the content so that it is not confined to a certain leveling area but rather the whole world!!
    What I mean is .... stop people from mindlessly grinding the map to level up. Keep them excited! And make them feel they are in a world and not only in separate leveling areas). I want to have conversations in the chat window like that: "A: I just almost spend an hour trying to escape that stupid Dunmer cave. B: why? A: My torch went out.. did not know that could happen...took me forever to get out without light. B: Get the "Eterna-Light" from Sir Skuller. A: Where?. B: Get into the eastern tavern in Windhelm, talk to the sleeping guy first floor. He will tell you where to find a map in Riften. Go there pick up the map, it will tell you the location of the "Eterna Light" in the Eternal Swamp. A: I can't go there, my level is to low for the bats. B: Either level up, or wear the Ring of Doom (needs to be on left hand) it will keep the bats from attacking but stay on the path. B: That is so cool... thanks.
  • Kyotita
    Kyotita
    Soul Shriven
    Where are the Werewolf Fixes? it seriously needs to not have a timer/be buffed
  • Sedated
    Sedated
    Soul Shriven
    A feature to not see friends logging on/off would be great. #easy2please
  • Firestar1992
    Firestar1992
    ✭✭
    I think something that would be fun would be a sort of one-on-one PvP within your own alliance. Like, in the "F to interact" menu, add in a slot for "Challenge to a duel." If the other player accepts, the two duke it out until one of them is at 10% health, at which point the winner is declared. Whether the challenge is accepted or declined, the challenger can't fight someone else for a minute or two. This would be so that we don't have people constantly spamming challenges to lower-level people for the sake of bullying or whatever, the lower levels have a chance to get away.
  • strongoakb14a_ESO
    strongoakb14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly hope those coming plans and hard to get gear include something in the crafting system. I mean if you have to spent 51 real days per item to get 8 traits then the sets need to be on par with some of the better dropped sets now. As it sits right now it is hard to sell anything crafted for more than 10% mark up over materials.
  • qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO
    I'm happy.
    played a sorc to v12. most comfortable with bow/DW and stam gear, though ready to switch to cloth casting/aoe.
    rolled a NB. much more efficient with Bow/DW.

hands up who has a V12 of each class already? I would be surprised if anyone has. but in any case that would be the player that can compare classes.
    Edited by qiyamatawilrwb17_ESO on July 8, 2014 6:07AM
  • Kyuumu
    Kyuumu
    ✭✭✭
    I just have one Question, are their any Dev's who play a weapon based stamina build dps (no skirts or staff) and if so what is their take on the current state of the problems that build is facing.
  • xXOvercastKidXx
    I'm just curious, since update three essentially revolves around player customization, i just wanted to ask if this would include werewolf skins. I know this isn't a big thing, but it's just kinda dull to see the same grey werewolves running around with the occasional pack leader. Variety, that's all I'm saying :wink:
  • Star_Wanderer
    Don't know if its been mentioned...too many pages to read atm. I would love to see some indication when the rest of Tamriel will be filled out.... and whether or not any new areas will be
    1) available to all levels of the neighboring factions, or will they be level restricted
    2) whether any new fill in areas will be PvE or PvP.
  • tumahab1
    tumahab1
    Soul Shriven
    This article saddens me. Yes, there is some good stuff in there, but some game breakers as well. We're making the game easier. Also, we're making the game easier. Oh, and we'll make the game easier as well. Over and over I see veteran stuff, easier. Loot easier. Dungeons easier. Everything will be easier. The game is already a little easier than my liking and DEFINITELY Monte Hall. Mudcrab drops a purple Ebon Cuirass. I have three characters in veteran status ALREADY. Now you're making it even easier.

Giving in to the lowest denominator, and catering to the bad players, who just can't stand to go 2 minutes of playtime without uber rewards or "die too much" instead of adapting. I've seen MMO after MMO die to these changes. EVEN WOW, and yes, I know 5 million customers is still pretty darn good, but they used to have 13 million. Making it easier chases away the good players that want to put in the time and effort.

Some of the most popular add-ons for Skyrim are ones that make the game HARDER. Real weather, real hunger, harder dragons, and so on.