Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

A cry for help - need advice before creating my 5th Dragonknight

Deepfry
Deepfry
I really need your advice people. Over the last two weeks I have created 4 Dragonknights, played them up to about level 10 and then deleted them. I can't seem to get it right and I'm going crazy !! With respeccing costs being so high, I just need to get onto the right track ... I don't want to make bad choices early on and have to pay a fortune later on.

I've reached the stage where I don't even know whether I want to be one-hand+shield, two-hand, dual-wield, or whatever. Every time I read a "guide" or watch a YouTube PvP video, the information seems to contradict what I have read or heard before.

Here are the factors I want to take into account. I'd like to be:

- strong DPS
- reasonable survivability
- very viable in PvP (even if this gimps my PvE)

Any thoughts, or links will be gratefully received.
Thank you :smile:

• Azarul
    Azarul
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's so many skill points in the game do not worry so much about early mistakes. My Dragonknight is V3 and I have 4 weapon skills at lvl 50. I have 3 crafting skills at 50. All class skill lines at lvl 50. All 3 Armor at lvl 50. With reasonable points invested in all of these.

You will have tons of skill points so dont worry to much. Just enjoy it.

To answer your question though. I think S&B is the best in PvP. Even without shield bash which I do not use much.

Also I think most people will respec atleast once after hitting max level to set their character up for good.
    Edited by Azarul on May 16, 2014 1:06PM
  • Zorak
    Zorak
    ✭✭✭
    You wasted alot of time deleting all those characters.

Stop watching youtube videos and/or guides to choose what you want to play.

As Azarul pointed:

"There's so many skill points in the game do not worry so much about early mistakes."
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many options for those listed criteria. Some like to go for a variant of the pyromage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cffxu_rZOE

Build spec for that example is here.

There are also some pretty tough one-handed and shield versions of the dragonknight that do great in PvP.

I suspect though that at level 10 there just aren't enough skills available with adequate skill line leveling/skill ranking to appreciate a build's real potential.

Even odd sounding builds can work depending on your play style, like when I leveled up as a DK using dual wielding and heavy armor to get my own version of high DPS and increased survivability.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no class/build in the game that is completely viable at level 10. Stop quitting early, and start thinking long-term.

Also, respecs are expensive because you don't need to use them a lot. With over 300 skill points in the game, you will only have to respec if you decide to completely switch one of your weapon/crafting specializations. And even then, you probably don't need to.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    There is no class/build in the game that is completely viable at level 10. Stop quitting early, and start thinking long-term.

Also, respecs are expensive because you don't need to use them a lot. With over 300 skill points in the game, you will only have to respec if you decide to completely switch one of your weapon/crafting specializations. And even then, you probably don't need to.

This, I can agree with.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Deepfry‌

DK is a versatile class that really shines in several areas. I wrestled with the same issue and decided to make two DKs instead of compromising with one.

Tank Build
    • Redguard
    • 7 Heavy
    • 1h & Shield in both slots
    • Class skills focused on CC, damage mitigation and self-healing.

Pyromage
    • Dunmer
    • 5 Light 2 Medium
    • Destro staff & Dual Wield
    • Bar1 - single target
    • Bar2 - AoE
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a tip; don't fret, just play as you like. Yes some builds are 'Stronger' than others but enjoying the game is more important in my opinion. Also, since we are on the subject of characters; am I the only one who would like to see the option to have more character slots? Whether we earn them or buy them with cash. Also 5 free additional character slots would have been preferred to 5 free days for those of us that have weathered some of the launch issues.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    Also, since we are on the subject of characters; am I the only one who would like to see the option to have more character slots? Whether we earn them or buy them with cash. Also 5 free additional character slots would have been preferred to 5 free days for those of us that have weathered some of the launch issues.

Many folks would like to see additional slots but 5 slots in place of 5 days.... really? I don't really need to explain how unbalanced that is. Also what are you doing with 8 character slots that you need more? You know you can create an additional 8 characters on the EU servers with your same account.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Empu
    Empu
    ✭✭
    Like people have said, there's so many skill points around that by the point you realize you might need a respec, you'll have tons of gold.

In PvP Crowd control and mobility is king, i'd look at immovable skill so you won't be lying flat on your back and also skills to control your enemy(hello talons!), there's different situations in PvP, will you be running with a group of friends regularly, or will you be running solo ?

Imo just pick the skills you want while leveling up, you'll get used to using them and knowing their pro's + cons and can make a more informed decision once you reach higher level.

Also, the way the game plays, different situations warrant different skills, there's no 1 perfect build for every situation.

Edited by Empu on May 16, 2014 2:09PM
  • Bolo_Bob
    Bolo_Bob
    ✭✭✭
    @tinythinker your link is not working or at least not showing the build.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bolo_Bob wrote: »
    @tinythinker your link is not working or at least not showing the build.

Yeah, I see that. Not sure why. It's the same URL offered in the video comments and it was working before. Might be a site issue at ESO Head.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ This

At level 34, I have so many unused skill points I've started putting them in skills I'm sure I'll never use.

"The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no words for this lol. The game has over 200 skill points in it. You can have all of your skills maxed out.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Chalybos
    Chalybos
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't morph your skills, and you won't have to respec. Morph when you are more confident of the build.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are many options for those listed criteria. Some like to go for a variant of the pyromage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cffxu_rZOE

Build spec for that example is here.

There are also some pretty tough one-handed and shield versions of the dragonknight that do great in PvP.

I suspect though that at level 10 there just aren't enough skills available with adequate skill line leveling/skill ranking to appreciate a build's real potential.

Even odd sounding builds can work depending on your play style, like when I leveled up as a DK using dual wielding and heavy armor to get my own version of high DPS and increased survivability.

Wow... I really hate to throw this out here... but holy **** that looks ridiculously over-powered... I have never seen anyone take on a group of veteran enemies like that, let alone aggroing every single damn enemy to the point where 7+ are attacking him at once and not bringing his health down past half. WTF?
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go anything but Light Armor/Destro Staff, you're going to be destroyed when Zenimax incorrectly nerfs the class to appease the whiners.
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    If you go anything but Light Armor/Destro Staff, you're going to be destroyed when Zenimax incorrectly nerfs the class to appease the whiners.
    I approve of this. no 'please and cease' nerfs should happen.
    [on a side note: all classes should be deconstructed: free skill lines for everybody]

• Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    Disregard the contradicting guides, or even most guides in general. Yes, there are some tasty combos you should be aware of, and since you've seen many guides I'll assume you know of a few.

They are contradictory because despite what the chicken littles are saying you can build around pretty much anything if you are so inclined.

Start with what you can access and what you think is cool. Level all class lines and wear one of each armor. Have a skill from a backup weapon idea on your first bar doing nothing but soaking xp.

By the time you realize the Frankenstein monster you have created is less than completely optimal, don't respec. It's a money trap. Just put your many new points in the "right" direction. Keep leveling as many lines as possible.

You will likely change your mind as you level why your Frankenstein monster super cool things build wasn't exactly optimal, if you play by feel and aren't doing math and stuff. Your points are never wasted while your going back and forth with yourself.

There are approx 300 skill points to be claimed. Most builds complete combat only builds require 40-70. Just keep swimming.
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    You spent too much time deleting characters.

I have over 150 Skill points. I've maxed out two class skill trees, two armor skills trees, and close the four weapon skill trees.

I can DO anything. DPS/Heal/Tank. Am I the BEST at DPS? No... but if I want to improve it I just have to go get a few more skill points.

Yes... by level 10 you'll have made some bad decisions, but you'll quickly be able to fix that by doing all the quests, dungeons, and sky shards.

By the time you hit level 50... and thoroughly scour all aspects of the game... you'll have your preferred role, your secondary role, your third role, and tons of silly options to go with it.

Get a character to level 30... get all the skill points you can... and then put points in anything that says "Damage". You'll be fine.
    Edited by liquid_wolf on May 16, 2014 8:10PM
  • Empu
    Empu
    ✭✭
    delete this comment please :)

Edited by Empu on May 17, 2014 7:28AM
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    Sleepydan wrote: »
    Start with what you can access and what you think is cool. Level all class lines and wear one of each armor. Have a skill from a backup weapon idea on your first bar doing nothing but soaking xp.

^This.

You should be able to get Talons by level 10. Once you get it you shouldn't have many problems.

Use the hell out of it while you can.

• RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to comcur with everyone, just keep going. I staryed with a Khajiit DK, wanted to DW with bow for crit hits. Then tried S&B. Then tried 2h. Somehow ended up using Resto staff w/ DW and it actually works well in dungeons. I turned one bar into a buff/heal set, turned the 2nd bar into CC and AoE crit set when it hits the fan and a member goes down. So far so good. Just picked up alchemy too. You womt be hurting for skill points, just het some skyshards.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vicNBitis wrote: »
    Sleepydan wrote: »

^This.

You should be able to get Talons by level 10. Once you get it you shouldn't have many problems.

Use the hell out of it while you can.
    Dark Talons is probably your worst skill if you're not using Light Armor/Desto Staff, and even then it's not as good as he says (he's a known DK whiner), so if you go any other build, don't take this.
  • vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Talons is probably your worst skill if you're not using Light Armor/Desto Staff, and even then it's not as good as he says (he's a known DK whiner), so if you go any other build, don't take this.

Just FYI, Maverick is the one DK that can't seem to figure out how to use Talons.

You, however, should be able to use it effectively with any armor combination. It's only required maybe twice per fight at the earliest levels. Should be enough to get over the hump at least.