Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Comprehensive Provisioning Issues

• Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    Thank you for the update. There is definitely a problem with purple recipes not dropping. I have not found a purple recipe in about five weeks. The last one I found was around level 30 back in Shadowfen. I never found any in Eastmarch, The Rift, Coldharbour, Cyrodiil or my Veteran zones in the Daggerfall areas. I have searched thousands of containers . I have unlocked hundreds of chests. I have cleared dozens of delves and defeated countless enemies, delve bosses and the overland skull bosses. I am finding blue recipes at an acceptable rate; but the purple ones have disappeared altogether. I will provide more specifics if needed.

I can confirm that purple recipes are indeed dropping. I got the Consummate Eye-Opener Recipe out of a backpack in the bank of Wayrest. Now to put this in perspective, I also loot everything that I see. I have much more time to play than my wife does, so when I'm on without her, I might spend a few hours just looting towns. Another Provisioner that I speak to often was able to buy a VR5 Purple food recipe just a few days ago too. Through these same loot runs, I have found 4 Motifs, including Primal & Barbaric. These recipes are extremely rare.

Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
    Options
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    great thread and I took notes on high tier mats to save up for later.

I know its not vet level but I did get a purple recipe from the bank this week, lvl 35
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
    Options
  • Sendarya
    Sendarya
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, purple recipes are possibly the most rare drop in the game. I have 1 lvl 35 food, 1 lvl 35 drink (as someone noted, lvl 35 purples seem the exception, those are rare, but not impossibly so.

I looted a purple lvl 50 drink recipe myself out of a chest in a solo dungeon about 2 weeks ago, and 2 days ago in the middle of the night, saw someone selling a lvl 45 purple food recipe in zone chat in The Rift. I snapped it up.

When I advertise the purple food and drink for sale in zone chat, I often get more tells asking where I got the recipes than for the food, lol.

The truth is, I think I have just been terribly lucky. Then again, if everyone could make purple food, who would those of us who depend on it for income sell it to?

TL:dr version: Purple recipes (outside of lvl 35) are incredibly rare... but maybe that is a good thing? Just a thought.
    Owner of the Traveling Tavern, serving superior and consummate foods and drinks for all your leveling needs! :p
    The Traveling Tavern is now closed, until veteran loot tables and rare food mats are fixed. I am very sorry to all my loyal customers!
    Options
  • Tanabe
    Tanabe
    good post.
    Options
  • spliffmaster2b16_ESO
    Provisioning materials exist in tiers. The highest tier for level 50 and veteran rank food and drinks drops in the last zone in any alliance, as well as in Cyrodiil and Coldharbour. It's very simple and yes, it does drop in the right veteran zones. Not that hard to figure out.
    Options
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think i've ever found a purple recipe :(

definitely haven't found any recipes since the stealth nerf and quite frequently find containers that aren't empty on mouseover, but have nothing in them (not even a loot window) when opened. which seems like loot was going to drop, but then bugged out...

whereas every container that i was able to open, that actually had a loot window, contained either a lockpick, low level provisioning materials or a 0g crafting style piece.

haven't seen a motif in weeks, haven't seen any recipes at all in veteran areas. although tbh, knowing that this stuff is an issue, i've been put off looting most containers - whereas i used to be very "hands on" with every container i saw, but at the moment, it's just a waste of time.

i think i'm better off playing an alt at the moment, rather than potentially missing out on things in vet areas.

edit: nice to know fixes are coming though - gives me much hope, many faith, such wow
    Edited by smokes on May 21, 2014 9:26AM
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tier Ingredients The Same For All Recipe Levels

One problem I found while levelling and progressing Provisioning was that the same tier ingredient is used in all levels of recipe as you level, such as Red Wheat in Daggerfall Covenant Tier 2 recipes (blue quality)

I am quite a hoarder and will always check containers for ingredients as I levelled to 50 and store ingredients on alts. In total I probably got around 10-15 Red Wheat during that progression. I found a few tier 2 recipes from containers and loot drops and enjoy crafting decent food for my character. But realised fairly quickly that there was just far too few of the tier ingredients to last.

Also, I had used the ingredient for lower level food, when the same tier ingredient was required for tope end tier food also. So now I have just two Red Wheat to make tier two food at level 50.

Suggestions

I believe the use of the same ingredient for every level from 1-50 (and VR1-10)
    makes crafting lower end tier 2 food impractical and makes those recipes mostly redundant.

One option would be to just increase the drop rate of Red Wheat a lot so it is available in sufficient quantity to craft food at all levels. The problem here is that it would make the tiered food perhaps too easy to craft at maximum level and less or a rarity.

The better route would be to have a different tier ingredient for each recipe range i.e. 1-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45 etc. as it is now. That would be four different tier ingredients rather than one. The same for each Alliance.

It would add a few more ingredients where there is quite a range already but would mean it's much more likely to find the suitable ingredients. And also via Guild Stores/ barkers, where currently it is really hard to find these ingredients.

To save creating new ingredients you could change the ingredients required to use the existing tier 2 ingredients from each Alliance so they are used for all Alliances instead for the same level i.e. Red Wheat drops in all Alliance areas for level 30-35 food recipes, Onions for all 40-45 tier 2 recipes. This would mean more available via the market. And increase the drop rare somewhat.
    Edited by Moonraker on May 21, 2014 2:54PM
    Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Tier Ingredients The Same For All Recipe Levels

One problem I found while levelling and progressing Provisioning was that the same tier ingredient is used in all levels of recipe as you level, such as Red Wheat in Daggerfall Covenant Tier 2 recipes (blue quality)

I am quite a hoarder and will always check containers for ingredients as I levelled to 50 and store ingredients on alts. In total I probably got around 10-15 Red Wheat during that progression. I found a few tier 2 recipes from containers and loot drops and enjoy crafting decent food for my character. But realised fairly quickly that there was just far too few of the tier ingredients to last.

Also, I had used the ingredient for lower level food, when the same tier ingredient was required for tope end tier food also. So now I have just two Red Wheat to make tier two food at level 50.

Suggestions

I believe the use of the same ingredient for every level from 1-50 (and VR1-10)
    makes crafting lower end tier 2 food impractical and makes those recipes mostly redundant.

One option would be to just increase the drop rate of Red Wheat a lot so it is available in sufficient quantity to craft food at all levels. The problem here is that it would make the tiered food perhaps too easy to craft at maximum level and less or a rarity.

The better route would be to have a different tier ingredient for each recipe range i.e. 1-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45 etc. as it is now. That would be four different tier ingredients rather than one. The same for each Alliance.

It would add a few more ingredients where there is quite a range already but would mean it's much more likely to find the suitable ingredients. And also via Guild Stores/ barkers, where currently it is really hard to find these ingredients.

To save creating new ingredients you could change the ingredients required to use the existing tier 2 ingredients from each Alliance so they are used for all Alliances instead for the same level i.e. Red Wheat drops in all Alliance areas for level 30-35 food recipes, Onions for all 40-45 tier 2 recipes. This would mean more available via the market. And increase the drop rare somewhat.

That would add 54 ingredients to our list. I think your issue of not finding enough of the right upgrade component would just be compounded by adding additional ingredients. You have the option to save upgrade ingredients, such as red wheat, pepper, onion & certainly oats and tomatoes. I see a lot of provisioners using their oats & tomatoes on level 35 purple food. To each his own, but I'm saving mine for VR5 purple food to use in PvP.

Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Options
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they seriously see the uselessness of drinks. Survivability doesn't go up nearly as much as with food items, and stamina/magica food items increase the damage you deal. Can't get that with drinks.

I think we should be able to have 1 food and 1 drink active, otherwise drinks will remain totally meh. If not that, drinks need to give WAY more regen than they currently do.
    Options
  • Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    Jeremy_gelber_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they seriously see the uselessness of drinks. Survivability doesn't go up nearly as much as with food items, and stamina/magica food items increase the damage you deal. Can't get that with drinks.

I think we should be able to have 1 food and 1 drink active, otherwise drinks will remain totally meh. If not that, drinks need to give WAY more regen than they currently do.

its not just that. when you increase a stat the regen goes up as well. compounding the uselessness of drinks.
    Options
  • HeroOfEvbof
    HeroOfEvbof
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the provisioner for a group of four. my group sends me all provisioning mats. i spend considerable time cooking, because a refuse to sell raw mats but only want one stack of each ingredient.

i have decent amount of onion, but red wheat is running way too low.

i would trade half my barley for red wheat. i have over 100 barley but not one oat. why give me so much barley when the maximum oat rate is two or three a day?
    apud me omnia fiunt Mathematicè in Natura - Rene Descartes
    Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the provisioner for a group of four. my group sends me all provisioning mats. i spend considerable time cooking, because a refuse to sell raw mats but only want one stack of each ingredient.

i would trade half my barley for red wheat. i have over 100 barley but not one oat. why give me so much barley when the maximum oat rate is two or three a day?

Barley is just a much more common ingredient, whereas oats are only obtainable from Provisioner Hirelings 2 & 3. Think of it as Honing Stones vs Tempering Alloys. I have 300 Honing Stones & 30 Tempering Alloys.

Options
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭

Barley is just a much more common ingredient, whereas oats are only obtainable from Provisioner Hirelings 2 & 3. Think of it as Honing Stones vs Tempering Alloys. I have 300 Honing Stones & 30 Tempering Alloys.

False parallel. A honing stone is useful even without a tempering alloy. Barley can ONLY be used in tandem with oats, and is therefore useless without it.
    Options
  • eobethb14_ESO
    eobethb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    I would like to see the greatly irritating change to crate/sack/container loot distance added to the comprehensive list.

They really shortened loot distance and made the targetting reticle much smaller.

This means an extra step or two for every container plus extra time in aiming the targetting cross. Multiply that by all the containers provisoners usualy loot and it really adds up.

I really do not understand why they keep making things more annoying.
    Options
  • russell.j.gibbsb16_ESO
    russell.j.gibbsb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm VR10 trying to learn provisioning , I need T2 recipes, yet after the patch the few I've got have been T6 regardless of zone.

I've gone back to my original T2 zone Greenshade and looted a T6 recipe, how do I get T2 ?
    Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm VR10 trying to learn provisioning , I need T2 recipes, yet after the patch the few I've got have been T6 regardless of zone.

I've gone back to my original T2 zone Greenshade and looted a T6 recipe, how do I get T2 ?

Recipe drops according to your character level, whereas ingredients drop according to the zone you're in. If you need recipes from earlier tiers that you've already passed, you'll have to either purchase them from other players or use an alt character to farm them.

Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see the greatly irritating change to crate/sack/container loot distance added to the comprehensive list.

They really shortened loot distance and made the targetting reticle much smaller.

This means an extra step or two for every container plus extra time in aiming the targetting cross. Multiply that by all the containers provisoners usualy loot and it really adds up.

Interesting. I haven't personally noticed a change regarding this. Is there another discussion around this specific issue?
    Options
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I haven't personally noticed a change regarding this. Is there another discussion around this specific issue?
    "USE" command range shortened?
    it's not just looting - it's the whole command "use" (default E) - you need to be 2x closer to loot, activate interactables or doors (some doors are now even out of reach now)
    Options
  • LadyLothi
    LadyLothi
    ✭✭✭
    2.Recipes - I'd like to see some unique recipes with some different ways of obtaining them, such as quests, or talking to NPCs that you see in Tamriel that are chefs, brewers out in the world.

^This.
    I have read a few books or pages that were lying around with a recipe on it that was an actual ingame recipe. I wished I could have learned that recipe just by reading that book, the same way I can increase the level of a skill line by reading a book.
    "It's easy, a child of five could do it. Unfortunately, we don't have a child of five, so I have to walk YOU through it." Abnur Tharn <3
    Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added a new issue I discovered this morning. My Redguard alt that I'm playing as a member of the Ebonheart Pact went from receiving Ebonheart ingredients to getting Daggerfall ingredients.
    Options
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MOST important point about drinks being useless will "be looked into" and will take forever, get your priorities straight Max.
    Options
  • troutb3mdpreub18_ESO
    troutb3mdpreub18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Where did you find the daggerfall ingredients? It has been noted that when in an area that the "enemy" is infiltrating your land, their ingredients will be found. I have all of my races in the wrong alliance, and have had no issues with finding the wrong foods.
    Options
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome post!!! Many very good points brought up and looks like they are gunna be fixed thank goodness! Been VERY frustrated with provisioning because of these issues!!! Was able to get 2 epic level 35 recipes towards the beginning of the game but that was it. Seen several being sold as well. But now.....NONE at all. I have spent many days for several hours in veteran zones looting everything I can and there is no epic level 50 recipes at all. NONE! Extremely frustrating to the point where I keep asking myself "Why am I playing this game when it only frustrates me so much?" I think they are broken. That or nerfed so bad that 99.9% people never ever get them no matter how many things they loot like myself. I seriously like this game alot and dont want to quit and been trying to be patient about the many buggy things but everybody has their limits. I have spent 5 hours straight today doing nothing but looting everything I can and no epic lvl50 recipe to show for it not to mention all the many days & hours before that as well with nothing to show for my effort and time. So, yeah I'm a little frustrated right now and trying to stay as cool as possible. I'm glad to see that they have read over this thread and are gunna do something about these issues. Lets hope they fix the lvl50+ epic recipes too. Like actually make it possible to get them.
    Edited by Blade_07 on May 31, 2014 9:15PM
    “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you find the daggerfall ingredients? It has been noted that when in an area that the "enemy" is infiltrating your land, their ingredients will be found. I have all of my races in the wrong alliance, and have had no issues with finding the wrong foods.

I was in Stonefalls questing near the dreugh area.
    Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade_07 wrote: »
    Awesome post!!! Many very good points brought up and looks like they are gunna be fixed thank goodness! Been VERY frustrated with provisioning because of these issues!!! Was able to get 2 epic level 35 recipes towards the beginning of the game but that was it. Seen several being sold as well. But now.....NONE at all. I have spent many days for several hours in veteran zones looting everything I can and there is no epic level 50 recipes at all. NONE! Extremely frustrating to the point where I keep asking myself "Why am I playing this game when it only frustrates me so much?" I think they are broken. That or nerfed so bad that 99.9% people never ever get them no matter how many things they loot like myself. I seriously like this game alot and dont want to quit and been trying to be patient about the many buggy things but everybody has their limits. I have spent 5 hours straight today doing nothing but looting everything I can and no epic lvl50 recipe to show for it not to mention all the many days & hours before that as well with nothing to show for my effort and time. So, yeah I'm a little frustrated right now and trying to stay as cool as possible. I'm glad to see that they have read over this thread and are gunna do something about these issues. Lets hope they fix the lvl50+ epic recipes too. Like actually make it possible to get them.

This is getting a little out of control in my opinion. According to my own numbers from talking to motif farmers, it appears you're at least 20 times more likely to find Daedric or Ancient Elf motifs than finding a purple recipe in VR content. Of course, those numbers climb daily as they continue to find the motifs without finding the recipes.

As it sits right now, exploiters, gold buyers, and a few legit players are driving the prices up to a point where they don't even make sense to buy. They're regularly selling upwards of 300k right now. A friend of mine sold Honey Pudding for 250k today within 10 minutes of finding it. How many tomatoes does a guy have to get to make that money back? Personally, I have multiple 50 Provisioners with 3/3 hireling & still don't get them often enough that I'd be comfortable spending that kind of gold on the recipe. It would take a year to make that back with food @ 500g each.

Options
  • Sendarya
    Sendarya
    ✭✭✭
    I agree now, there is no point paying 300k for a recipe, when you can only get a limited number of ingredients from the hirelings.

I have a lvl 45 purple, and I sell it for 500g, because damn, oats! And it sells at that price because there are maybe 2 people in the whole game who have the VR5 who sell it. 45 is close enough that many people will take it. And I've never seen a lvl 50 purple food (recipe OR actually food), just drink.

It is completely insane. They should not be common, but they shouldn't be worth waaaay more than you could ever make from them.

I now have 2 characters with 3/3 provisioning hireling just for more chances at oats for that one recipe. I'd level up more, but the getting lvl 2 recipes is VERY hard. 1's and 3'd are easy, there does seem to be a strange shortage of lvl 2.
    Asking in chat and guild for 2 days (and looking on the AH's), I finally found ONE to get my second toon over that level hump, and by then I had like 5 lvl 3's to lvl to 50 from there.

Also, pepper being in the world and oats and tomatoes is the 2nd biggest issue IMO. The first being drink being useless. But recipes requiring pepper are 1000 times more desirable than those using oats or tomatoes.
    Owner of the Traveling Tavern, serving superior and consummate foods and drinks for all your leveling needs! :p
    The Traveling Tavern is now closed, until veteran loot tables and rare food mats are fixed. I am very sorry to all my loyal customers!
    Options
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow...thats crazy! 300k for a epic veteran recipe? Thats purely insane!!! I know all to well that they are almost impossible to get cuz Zenimax has broken the drop rate but 300k for a recipe.....no thanks. Yeah, if this is not fixed I'm seriously going to quit this game! I hope they do fix this but we shall see. This will be the straw that breaks the camels back for me.
    “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oats and Tomatoes are too rare. I understand bottlenecks, and them wanting to keep the ingredients rare. But, as usual, the implementation of this is way over the top. They probably don't even realize how bad it is, like most things. As you know, they are only available from Hireling 3. This means that the chances of finding someone who put points into Hireling 3 selling these is extremely unlikely. They are much more likely to have spent those points because they intend on using the ingredients themselves. The fact that they are so over the top rare means there is no way anyone would ever have enough spare ingredients to want to sell. So, buying them is out.

Let me shed some light on how rare Oats and Tomatoes are:

I have 4 provisioning bank mules all leveled to 50. I have gotten 5 oats and 2 tomatoes in the last 7 days. The majority of the time they bring me useless hops or snowberries.

Please consider these are required for purple V5 recipes, and all the other ingredients are easily accessible for these recipes. This makes it very difficult to make money selling epic provisioning food in game, and if you do, you have to charge ridiculous prices like 500g each for it, and forgo using it yourself. It is much more profitable selling blue food.

This can not be what they intended when they wanted to make it rare. They've gone completely overboard. Did they really expect us to roll up 4 bank mules and level provisioning to 50 on them, just to get a handful of these every week? If so, it's an extremely poor implementation in my opinion.
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
    Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mortosk, I do agree with their concept of needing to maintain some sense of rarity with purple recipes. I also look at things comparatively though. My Blacksmith & Woodworker have NO problems whatsoever getting every style book in the game. Even the rarest ones (Daedric & Ancient Elf) can be had for 40k & 30k currently, and that price drops every single day because the supply is outpacing the demand. If you are in Veteran 6+ zones, there's no need to buy them at all, as they just aren't that hard to find. Purple veteran recipes though? I have been in Veteran content for 4+ weeks and have never seen one linked for sale. However, every zone you enter has at least one person spamming that they're buying them & in some cases, advertising those insane buy prices before even talking to a seller.

As far as mules go....play those dudes!! I have 8 characters & zero mules.
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Mortosk, I do agree with their concept of needing to maintain some sense of rarity with purple recipes. I also look at things comparatively though. My Blacksmith & Woodworker have NO problems whatsoever getting every style book in the game. Even the rarest ones (Daedric & Ancient Elf) can be had for 40k & 30k currently, and that price drops every single day because the supply is outpacing the demand. If you are in Veteran 6+ zones, there's no need to buy them at all, as they just aren't that hard to find. Purple veteran recipes though? I have been in Veteran content for 4+ weeks and have never seen one linked for sale. However, every zone you enter has at least one person spamming that they're buying them & in some cases, advertising those insane buy prices before even talking to a seller.

As far as mules go....play those dudes!! I have 8 characters & zero mules.

Well I did start leveling up one my mules, a sorceror, after they decided to nerf my melee DPS templar build into the ground (i.e., biting jabs). And, I did roll 4 different classes for my mules, so if I chose to later, I could level them.

But, to your point. The fact that purple recipes are super rare is another thing I didn't even touch on. I've actually gone motif farming for several hours and sold some motifs for profit, and I've never seen a purple recipe drop since day one of playing the game. I pretty much clicked on everything since day one being a provisioner. So, either I have incredibly bad luck, or purple recipes are several orders of magnitude more rare than any rare motif.

But, the incredibly sad thing is, once you actually do get one, whether it's buying one and paying 50K +, or being extremely lucky to find one on your own, if it uses Oats or Tomatoes, and most of the good ones do, then you really can't benefit that much from it. These ingredients are far too rare, and if you only have 1 hireling 3, you may not get ANY oats or tomatoes in a week, and would probably have to save up for months just to make a stack of them, counting the provisioning skills that make 4 from each ingredient.

Is that really what they intended?

Edited by Mortosk on June 1, 2014 5:33PM
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
    Options