Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Zenimax, when are you going to address the problems with veteran armor aesthetics?

• Vordar
    Vordar
    ✭✭
    Somebody get Giorgio Armani here Pronto!
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite style of armor is Dunmer medium. Level 40: All black leather with ebony metallic accents, looks awesome. VR1-4 (everything I've seen so far): Tan and khaki leather with dull gray accents.

I won't even comment on the laziness of using the exact same armor models from level 36 all the way up to VR10, only changing the texture. How many VR10 Nightblades want to run around in shadow scale armor that is tan? The low level and quality armor should be the mundane colors. Higher level and higher quality should be the more desirable colors. I don't get what the designers were thinking here. This isn't subjective stuff (I suppose there may be a handful of people that love their Dockers and really like khaki armor).

xmgxurnk6o39.jpg
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised, they probably didn't completely finish with the models and figured they'd work on it later. Oh well, lesson is don't power level so fast.
  • dwaightb16_ESO
    the daedric is just painfuly bad...
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey folks. We reviewed some of the screenshots in this thread and everything here is by design. That said, we did pass along your feedback to the proper teams so they can review your comments and concerns.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeaaaah, functions first, then ascetics
  • Zebug
    Zebug
    ✭✭✭
    lol, why am I always surprised that "artists" aren't in touch with the general population? For whatever reason, ZOS artists thought we'd like it better to have boring/dull armor in end game rather than something that really stands out. At least we got a response...so props to that.

Now if only work can end soon so I can get home and start playing ESO!!!!
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion that breton rank2 armor is way better looking than the level 44, which brings us to the flaw in your reasoning.

Armor looks are SUBJECTIVE. There is nothing to fix.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly blow through armor so much that I rarely stop and look at myself. Only on the main login screen.

I for one am definitely willing to wait for armor skins for a long time while they fix and add to the rest of the game.

housing? Crime? Jewelry Crafting? Thieves Guild? Dark Brotherhood? Morag Tong?

These before armor skins please
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the good news is when the dyeing system comes out, cool colors like black will be really easy to get (because Zeni designers apparently don't think black is a desirable armor color) and the tan dyes will require every achievement in the game! :)
  • michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    It looks washed out.

That's because ESO is keeping up with the latest fashion trends.

Normcore.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The armor in this game is hell ugly and worse if you make if with better metals.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Worstluck
    Worstluck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I am not really impressed with the armor much. You end up essentially wearing the same for hundreds of hours if you make your own. I wore the same armor style from 40-VR10. It tends to look worse the higher level you get sometimes as well. Sometimes when I upgrade the armor, it has this incomplete texture look to it, like the metal areas are not properly textured. At VR10 I usually end up wearing a costume of some sort because my armor has looked the same for way too long.

Regardless, there are so many other issues with the game (my main is nightblade :# ) that need to be addressed...although maybe the artists can start working on updating some of the high level armors?
    Edited by Worstluck on May 13, 2014 7:24PM
    Worstluck - Breton Nightblade "Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own."
    ―Madanach
    Elfluck - Dunmer Dragonknight "When I will walk the earth again, the Faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest: the weak shall be winnowed: the timid shall be cast down: the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon."
    ―Mehrunes Dagon
    Deadluck -Imperial Templar "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour"
    ―Uriel Septim

Daggerfall Covenant
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    Most of if not all the ES games are the same way. Unless you used player mods, you'd be rocking like 1 style for the whole game.

That being said, I do think the models could be cleaned up/refined. Some look kind of bland, but who knows what kind of settings your running. Most if not everything I see in game looks pretty amazing.

Wonder if the changes to the armor/coloring will bring in stealth edits to the designs.
    Toktok - Vet8 Orc Templar - 2 Hand, Medium/Heavy Armor Grunt - Blacksmith/Clothier/Enchanter/Alchemist
  • tair88b16_ESO
    tair88b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I've posted this comparison in another thread already but here's another example: medium VR10 daedric armor.

h68suhdv.jpg
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've posted this comparison in another thread already but here's another example: medium VR10 daedric armor.

h68suhdv.jpg

Looks like the Deadra from the Shivering Isles, the brighter side anyway, not dementia
  • tair88b16_ESO
    tair88b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

h68suhdv.jpg

Looks like the Deadra from the Shivering Isles, the brighter side anyway, not dementia

That's just the lighting, the actual color is an ugly olive green.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks. We reviewed some of the screenshots in this thread and everything here is by design. That said, we did pass along your feedback to the proper teams so they can review your comments and concerns.

Well deliver to whoever thought this was a good idea all the facepalms of Tamriel.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    This makes me not want to level up all the way to v10. Granted I'm only level 24 currently but still.

Wonder what went through their head when texturing the v10 armors.

"Ok, so v10.. we should probably make this look cool. Let me tr.. ooh, lunchtime. Meh, I'll just use this boring old texture that we discarded because it did not look very good. Players probably won't notice anyway."
  • tair88b16_ESO
    tair88b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

Well deliver to whoever thought this was a good idea all the facepalms of Tamriel.

So the half-arsed colorization of VR armors is by design, eh... well it's a bad design, obviously.
  • Getorix
    Getorix
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this is a very urgent problem but the dev posting that theres no screw up and this is the way armor is supposed to work is pretty unnerving.

I wonder if its common for mmo devs to get lost in their own little world and not realize when something is stupid or just doesn't work, it was and still is very common with swtor devs.
  • Kreager
    Kreager
    ✭✭✭
    Well, on a side note. at least we do not have lampshade looking light helms :)
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you kidding me? how can this be by design? I am actually appalled that this is intended. How could the armor designers think that REMOVING the colour and sheen from an armor the higher the rarity is, is a good idea?

Legendary heavy v10 daedric armor doesn't even look like heavy armor, it looks like olive green leather. It's not the only armor that has this problem, pretty much every material and style has this issue. The higher the rarity, the worse it looks.

I really can't believe this was intended.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on May 13, 2014 9:37PM
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • seneferab16_ESO
    seneferab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    h68suhdv.jpg

This looks like it is missing a specular map; there's no light reflections at all.

Aerin Treerunner, pre dinner snack
  • jdandrews108b14_ESO
    The fact that every creative director on this game can be quoted on "Immersion" and staying "true to Elder Scrolls lore" is scary to me.

As pointed out Daedric armors are red and black, yet NONE of the armor posted is the traditional red and black.
    Not to mention that they are that way because daedric armor is infused with the souls of daedric creatures (hence the daedric heart needed to craft).
    Where has there ever been dulled greenish daedric armor in Elder Scrolls?
  • seneferab16_ESO
    seneferab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    aipex8_ESO wrote: »
    xmgxurnk6o39.jpg

Another missing specular map.
    Notice how the light acts on the piece to the left, and how there's a lack of any kind of even remotely similar effect on the one to the right.

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Everyone, just to give you a quick update, we are working to improve the look of the Veteran Rank materials and give them a higher-quality appearance. You can expect to see these roll out sometime in the future (as they're being actively worked on, we don't have an ETA yet).

Also keep in mind that the dye system will give you a lot of different options once that system is available. :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey folks. We reviewed some of the screenshots in this thread and everything here is by design.

Someone was lying to you.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found something interesting.

NMokU5Y.jpg

This is veteran rank 1 blue rarity tophide leather medium armor in the bosmer style with heavy shoulders and a kresh hood.

The picture on the right is what it normally looks like, very bland, like it's missing something.

The picture on the left just randomly happened, some how the armor is much more detailed, the bone spikes have sheen, the shadows and the material is more detailed. The colour pops out and looks realistic, only problem is the face shadows are screwed up.

The darker armor looks so much better, despite the shadows on the face. It's disappointing that it disappeared when I reequipped the armor.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • seneferab16_ESO
    seneferab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, it's the lack of a specular map. With a specular map you decide how the texture should react to light, thus making it *pop*. A spec map is how you make metal look metally, and cloth look clothy etc. It seems like these veteran ranked items for some reason have lost it's spec map, making them look very old school and bland.

@zos_ginabruno, could you look into this, please?