Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why ESO did not turn out to be what people wanted.

• Dunhilda
    Dunhilda
    ✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »

ESO is a linear, restricted theme park.

Other elder scrolls games aren't.

Man, you must have hated Morrowind.

I loved GTA 1 but if GTA 6 was to go back to bird eye view I would hate it.

Your comment is rubbish

• rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunhilda wrote: »
    I loved GTA 1

Ahhh, that takes me back.

I loved the original GTA games .... especially GTA London. I loved the little Union Jack car.
  • jimmulvaney
    jimmulvaney
    ✭✭✭

BRAIN STORMIN' I think a lot of the quest and dungeon issues can be fixed if we were allowed to pick and choose between public and private instances also there should be a group instance that resets every group member's quest progression for that specific dungeon or quest. That way higher level guild mates can help lower level ones finish it. Also, having trouble soloing a dungeon? Join a group or go public. Yes, that means people could endlessly farm dungeons and quests but it would only effect you if you were public or in a group with a known farmer. Now, to curb the number of bots, drops should be increasingly less valuable to the point of 0 gold and 0 xp for every multiple time you kill any one specific boss or complete any one specific quest. EXCEPT World Bosses. You need a group to beat them anyways and keeping them public ensures teamwork and would force bots to farm them since they would be the most profitable option. They don't add anything to the story anyways, they are just roaming filler. You will never be rid of bots, the best you can do is manage them. Unfortunately ZOS has failed to realize that they are like roaches and you will never fully eradicate them, so we manage them and put them to use.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ack unclean troll in the dungeon....thought you should know.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nathano wrote: »
    PBpsy wrote: »
    Actually it is quite constructive. If you and the rest of the trolls leave and stop posting these stupid threads saying the same damn things over and over and over again then maybe players would actually start talking about various aspect of gameplay and maybe help each other.
    Agreed. This is yet another pointless post by someone expecting a multiplayer version of Skyrim. It's an MMO not a single player game. Get over it!!

This is a terrible argument and typical of the type of response you get in this forum.

Saying this game should be less than Skyrim or some other solo game because it's an mmo is really annoying.

So you're saying the only people who should be allowed to say what they think the game should be are the ones who agree with you about it being a single player game? That's constructive. :/

No I never said that.

I don't make any point about it being a single player because of open world.

I said that the grouping thing they did breaks mmo. Period.

That and bots are my problem with the game.

I never said somebody can't have a different opinion. I said the response given was typical of a lot of people in this forum that don't give actual reasoned respoonses.... the just basically resort to name calling and "I can't wait till you leave" arguments.

Sorry, I feel the game is average at best and there are a couple of things about it that are really bad.

There is a good chance I will end up with a sub to the pc version and the console version.

The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your comment is rubbish

But if they went back to the over the topness of San Andreas I would love it. So, no it's your post that is rubbish.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I am not certain what this person is talking about. ESO pretty much turned out to be exactly what I expected. And I'm having a great time playing the game.

So a better title for this thread would be "why ESO didn't turn out the way I wanted."
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Personally i like the mmo side its why i bought the game, i expected Elder Scrolls online....

What i didn't expect was...
    • bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • dungeons being finished by other players
    • Quests being finished by other players
    • gold farmers and bots ruining the game
    • Chest rewards not being segregated
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums
    • maintenance twice a week forcing me to play other games while i'm paying a subscription...
    meh in two months i'll walk away much wiser, never again touch a Zenimax product no matter the title..

Must be your first mmo.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally i like the mmo side its why i bought the game, i expected Elder Scrolls online....

• bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums
    • maintenance twice a week forcing me to play other games while i'm paying a subscription...
    meh in two months i'll walk away much wiser, never again touch a Zenimax product no matter the title..

Must be your first mmo.

typical

Why didn't you follow up your awesome response with, "can't wait till you leave" or "this isn't wow"

The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

• bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums
    Most of the things you listed applied to other MMOs in their beginning as well.

Wasn't advertised as just as good as other mmos. These guys went around everywhere telling everyone how much better this game would be. How much less buggy it would be. How much smoother the play would be.

They bragged about how awesome they were at every point.

• Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    Friend: but now its just "lets make it generic as *** and cheap as possible"

Your opinion is generic.

It's quite simple actually, if you don't like the game, you are the one to blame for buying it. You should have researched your purchase better, but you shouldn't expect them to re-shape the game around what you would like it to be.

Do you buy a block of colby cheese from the store and then complain it's not cheddar? There were multiple beta weekends where anyone that really cared to play could play, and ANYONE could have watched live streams. If you still weren't sure you could have waited for reviews to come out.

But noooooo.... you buy the game and then get mad at the people who made it when it isn't what you thought it would be. Ridiculous, as in, you are worthy of being ridiculed.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    typical

Why didn't you follow up your awesome response with, "can't wait till you leave" or "this isn't wow"

Are you sure people are allowed to disagree with you? Your posts sure don't seem to support your earlier response to my question.

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    typical

Are you sure people are allowed to disagree with you? Your posts sure don't seem to support your earlier response to my question.

Sure they are, that's a discussion.

Calling people names or telling them to get out and such, just not.

• Thunder
    Thunder
    ✭✭✭
    • bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums

You didn't expect bugs? Really? You must be new to video games.

Broken gameplay? Ah, an ambiguously subjective assertion that could mean anything.

Dungeons being finished by others? It's open world PVE, you seriously expect everyone else to wait outside while you go in and solo it?

Quests being finished by others? I don't even know how someone can finish a quest for you, that's a neat trick, don't let the gold farmers hear about it.

Gold farmers ruining the game? How? Again, you must be new to video games, every major MMO is plagued with gold farmers.

Chest rewards... bleh... such a petty complaint it's not worthy of consideration.

Bag space? Heh. Earn some gold, upgrade your bags, or better yet, quit trying to hoard everything. Somewhere between one bag space and infinite a line has to be drawn. I'm quite comfortable with where they drew the line.

Bank space... same.

Hardly any loot? Oh my.

Terrible community. Welcome to video gaming 101. However, this is one of the more pleasant communities I've been in, aside from all the cry babies that will soon be gone.

Service? Baseless accusation.

Forums? Well you were able to share your mixed up ideas with the community so you might have a point there.

Maintenance... well, that's my weak spot. I wish there weren't any either, but you'll be hard pressed to find an MMO without it.

I can't wait for this free month to be over.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most people play solo to level cap, so Zeni made it solo friendly. I agree it will be nice to join and help friends if they have problem finishing quest, beating final boss, and we cant. But again, so many new MMO players literally hate grouping, they want solo play and they have it, by the cost of not being able to join and help others. Days of forced grouping like LOTRO epic story, or many other games, where you need group almost all time, are gone.
    For those of us who love to group, we are getting group only new content, so i cant see problem really, except from mentioned not being able to help others.
    Not defending, or white knighting, but in my opinion, Zeni is trying to satisfy both group of customers, those who want solo, and those who want to group. They 100000 times better then Tur-fail-bine which can see only solo players.
    What is funny tho, solo players complaining about new content being group only. I bet Zeni know, and can see that grouping is not very effective from 1 to 50, so they want to give us something we can enjoy too, and im also pretty sure it will be free of all phasing/grouping issues we can see now, as it is designed as group content.
    So yea, they want all players happy and satisfied, nothing wrong wit it ill dare to say ;)
    No offense but maybe people like OP just had their expectations too high, or are new to MMOs and still trying to figure out how this beast is working. And the beast is doing well, and working as intended.
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭

• bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums

Must be your first mmo.

typical

Because if you want to leave that's for you to decide and I have been over wow for years so its not worth bringing up.

But just for fun let's go down the list (going to take a while I am on my phone)

1. every launch has them, it's pretty much expected.

2. just another way to say bugs?

3. I'm 42 and have not had this happen yet, unless you mean just having others doing the dungeon with you.

4. Once again never had this unless you mean others are able to help but that's just part of a mmo.

5. Standard for all starting mmos and there is no way to get rid of them completely.

6. This is how a lot of mmos do this not inherently bad or good.

7-8 really the only issue I have seen, upgrades are crazy expensive but it just means only pick up what you can use. This is an issues in many other mmos also.

9. Haven't experienced this every 20 mins I usually have 110 bag slots full of armor, weapons and crafting mats.

10. First month is always full people like this it tends to get better because the ones that bash the game won't pay the sub. This is why I prefer P2P.

11. I haven't had to deal with them so I don't know.

12.i agree 100%

13. Pretty standard for the first few months, consider yourself luck some mmos have been down the entire first week.

• LadyMithryl
    What I seam to be reading is a lot of irritation at the fact that this MMO is structured differently from the other MMO's out there and also from the single player game. Some of you thought it would run smoothly out of the box: you are fools. In IT weather it be maintaining a server for email or a farm for a MMO there will always be upkeep and patches. The wonderful fact that the staff is continually fixing bugs and providing support is something rarely found in the MMO community.
    Another complaint concerns content. Again we see impatient unthinking fools. The first environments were structured to teach many tools and to allow groups to form. They were not supposed to be the gauge with which to base more than an impression of what is to come. When you get to the meat of the game the dungeons are exclusive to your party. The loot flows. Did you know that while you were completing the joint quests you could partner with others running around with you and the rewards, if partnered, were much higher. So all that time in the beginning area was geared to encourage you to meet others and form teams and friends to allow you to progress to the much harder quests that will be brought online as the overall level of avatars advances.
    Very little thought concerning why things are the way they are had been posed here.
    Bethesda is a group that in the past has continued to produce a quality product that from the first to the fifth challenged gamers and video cards. I have faith that they would bring that excellence forth in any endeavor. So I will wait and see. I will play and make friends. I will grind the XP. And I know my efforts will be rewarded.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

• bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums

Must be your first mmo.

typical

Because if you want to leave that's for you to decide and I have been over wow for years so its not worth bringing up.

But just for fun let's go down the list (going to take a while I am on my phone)

1. every launch has them, it's pretty much expected.

2. just another way to say bugs?

3. I'm 42 and have not had this happen yet, unless you mean just having others doing the dungeon with you.

4. Once again never had this unless you mean others are able to help but that's just part of a mmo.

5. Standard for all starting mmos and there is no way to get rid of them completely.

6. This is how a lot of mmos do this not inherently bad or good.

7-8 really the only issue I have seen, upgrades are crazy expensive but it just means only pick up what you can use. This is an issues in many other mmos also.

9. Haven't experienced this every 20 mins I usually have 110 bag slots full of armor, weapons and crafting mats.

10. First month is always full people like this it tends to get better because the ones that bash the game won't pay the sub. This is why I prefer P2P.

11. I haven't had to deal with them so I don't know.

12.i agree 100%

13. Pretty standard for the first few months, consider yourself luck some mmos have been down the entire first week.

+1 awesome.

See, much better than just flinging out something tired, overused and usually not even close to true, like Must be your first mmo.

• KingRebz
    KingRebz
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is another generic, theme park mmo. If anything it's step backwards with it's very poor group pve. Everything kind of looks and feels the same too, it's really a pretty dull series of quests...and that's the game.

You and your friend are right.

Watch..everybody is gonna say your a fool and your wrong..lol what can I say dude people like paying a lot for average games..i was thinking of going back to skyrim to get a feel of elder scrolls cus this is a pile of shih

V14 Sorceror [Ebonheart]
  • Chili
    Chili
    ✭✭
    If people came to ESO expecting a single player experience no wonder they are disappointed.

This.

People seem to also think this is Skyrim Online, it is not. It's an MMO based in the Elder Scrolls universe, nothing more. It's not going to be very immersive unless you are willing to overlook that fact, because it will have people and those people will play how they want too, which sometimes includes people jumping around in circles like a maniac etc...

If people would just quit expecting Skyrim Online or TES VI I think they might enjoy it a bit more, or perhaps not because some people will just never be pleased.

The game is not without it's issues but to me they are not so bad that I want to stop playing and I play grouped 90% of the time and have very little to complain about in that aspect.

These are my opinions.
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the problem with game genre's that have years of building expectations with the players, then make MMO's. you will often have those who's expectations are dashed.

I personally am loving the game...for the most part. I give them room to grow, because I know that most MMO's, whether i like it or not, have issues and bugs coming out of the gate.

I like the standard MMO playstyle, though there can be improvements. in the design they chose, some things simply had to be. many single player concepts simply don't work in the model they chose.

Only thing i ask OP is that you change your title. SOME people don't like the game. I am part of the generic "people" label, yet i enjoy it. your close ring of friends may not like it, but that doesn't describe the general populace.

Personally, I like the game design, but am frustrated with some of the choices they made about certain things. like public dungeons having a boss that dies in 3 seconds when 2 or more people are on it. But these things are fixable...like scaling elite+ health based on the ## of people in the area.

And these kinds of things certainly don't make me want to leave. I'll give them time to see if they can smooth out the kinks in their design, and make many of the frustrating aspects of the game run smoother. if they can (so far they are), then this game could entertain me for many months (years?) to come.
  • Dunhilda
    Dunhilda
    ✭✭✭
    lordspyder wrote: »

Your comment is rubbish

But if they went back to the over the topness of San Andreas I would love it. So, no it's your post that is rubbish.

Sorry but it's clear you never played GTA 1.

This is GTA 1 noticed the Bird Eye view?
    m7e7vqh

If GTA VI was to go back to Bird eye view I would hate It I That is what I meant, clearly that was way to hard for you to comprehend my apologies.

This debate with you would be a waste of my time to continue with you.

• MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greyhaven wrote: »
    groups like Angry Joe's Army coordinate on how they are going to flood forums and news sites with hate...while promoting Archage.

Yeah, the EASY way to discredit them promoting Archage is to point out that TRION is making it, and that company made DEFIANCE. There literally IS no worse MMO than that game.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Korusus
    Korusus
    ✭✭

And of course Morrowind is nothing like ESO. Morrowind was single-player. ESO is an MMO, which means it has to make concessions to MMO balancing and general systematic requirements. I have yet to see you (or anyone else) offer a substantive, specific explanation for how this isn't an Elder Scrolls experience (whatever that means, since it's been radically different through all 5 games).

It's an authentic Elder Scrolls experience in the same way Battlespire, Redguard, and Elder Scrolls Travels were all authentic Elder Scrolls experience...which is to say not really. I think the reputation that TES enjoys as the one of the most popular role-playing sandbox series is well-earned and widely recognized so no need to get into the details of something that has existed in TES since Arena. ESO doesn't have this, but that doesn't mean it isn't Elder Scrolls (even though the quests in ESO are fairly boring and generic and making only passing references to real lore, and every now again it seemingly butchers the lore for no reason...Dunmer with medieval castles, now that's funny).

• MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums

Wasn't advertised as just as good as other mmos. These guys went around everywhere telling everyone how much better this game would be. How much less buggy it would be. How much smoother the play would be.

I suggest you do a Google search on "Cryptic Neverwinter" then.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

• bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums

Why?
    Has nothing to do with what I said.

• MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums

Why?
    Has nothing to do with what I said.

Has everything to do with what you said. Craptic advertised pretty much the same things, and had an item dupe bug in the auction house. AND had game progress halting bugs. AND had horrible forums and STILL has the worst customer service I've ever encountered. Gold farmers and bots galore ruining game play...and all this was advertised under "the greatest F2P MMO experience". Jack Emmert went around to cons for YEARS telling whomever would interview him how great the game would be....and it fell flat on its face in the first month of it's existence. This didn't stop them, and it won't stop Zenimax.

Look, we get you're not happy with the game. I know I wasn't happy with Neverwinter after giving it MORE than a fair shake. Difference between us is...I left there without a big hullaballoo. I just left.

Maybe you should too.
    3) Difficulty slider.
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the game. It's not perfect, but no game ever is. It has it's problems, but MMO launches always do.. I still find it very fun to play, as do many of my friends (all of them in game, and a good many that picked up an MMO for the first time in years out of game).. and it feels very much so like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

This launch honestly feels like every other launch I've participated in for the past 10 years. Huge amounts of negativity up front cause the game is both too much like WoW (people claim it's a clone) and not enough like WoW (missing a bunch of features people consider "standard" because of WoW). People all over claiming it'll go F2P in a few months, and that xyz feature they don't like is gonna cause it. People claiming it's the worst launch they've ever seen, and so on. Eventually that talk will die down, and the forums will still be negative, but it'll be less about the launch crap and more about content patches. Just takes a month or two.

Oh, and please don't try to pass off your opinion as fact (or some undeniable truth). Whether someone likes or dislikes something is -always- opinion. If you had solid data you could maybe state "a majority of people don't like ESO".. or if you did a poll and -every- single one of them replied, you could state "x% of these people stated they didn't like ESO because of this reason." However, you don't have any facts. You have guesses and assumptions on some portion of people (some of which probably didn't even buy or try the game if we're talking YouTube comments) based on some comments, without any sort of objectivity because of your own biased dislike of the game.
    Edited by Lalai on April 26, 2014 9:28PM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greyhaven wrote: »
    groups like Angry Joe's Army coordinate on how they are going to flood forums and news sites with hate...while promoting Archage.

Yeah, the EASY way to discredit them promoting Archage is to point out that TRION is making it, and that company made DEFIANCE. There literally IS no worse MMO than that game.

I own that game......

The only good point I can make about that purchase is it was £3 in a Steam sale so I don't feel too bad about it.