The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

State of the Game Address

• rfpalmerb16_ESO
    rfpalmerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    have you considerd adjusting your TOS to allow TES to buill an administrative fee to the credit card or paypal account of owners, specifically if they are botting, spamming or engaged in other black market activities. Realistically you should be able, legally, to recover some of the costs associated with dealing with the black market. After all, the EULA is a contract that the courts have held as being binding.
    Round peg? Square hole? Not a problem with a big enough hammer.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trolls: people with low self esteem who need to trash others to make themselves feel better. Trolls is sad because they cant make friends with anyone other than other trolls. Misery loves company.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update...keep it going...the game is good...the bugs will be fixed in time...keep the cheaters out....ignore the whiners and diners calling for f2p.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you considerd adjusting your TOS to allow TES to buill an administrative fee to the credit card or paypal account of owners, specifically if they are botting, spamming or engaged in other black market activities. Realistically you should be able, legally, to recover some of the costs associated with dealing with the black market. After all, the EULA is a contract that the courts have held as being binding.

The biggest issue with botters and gold sellers in ANY MMO, is that the sellers/botters account is usually bought with illegitimate funds. Stolen credit cards, hacked paypal, etc. Since the vast majority of these charges are then contested, either legally or through in-house consumer protection practices, Zenimax gets to keep none of the profit.

It's a major loss for any game company. You have to hire people to help regulate them, ACTIVELY, because the Korean child work force is simply too persistent. You lose legally paying customers to annoyance and griefing. And you lose out on the accounts and games bought by these rather organized Russian mafia businesses because it wasn't their money to spend in the first place. Not to mention the international law headaches.

Watch a pawn shop owner unknowingly buy stolen goods. The cops come and take it away and you don't get crap. Best you can hope is to claim it on a tax return at the end of the year for 2% writeoff.

Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    Trolls: people with low self esteem who need to trash others to make themselves feel better. Trolls is sad because they cant make friends with anyone other than other trolls. Misery loves company.

Trolls: people who get a smile and a laugh by getting other people agitated. Trolls are generally happy people who smile when they go to work. We have loving families, great guilds, and our friends call us over to celebrate the big moments in their lives. Because we're just really pleasant and emotionally grounded.

It's the people who GET trolled who don't have the emotional maturity to let the internet be dumb and just move on. They rage and destroy their keyboards because someone crouched repetitively over their virtual pixels.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • jaron_edow
    jaron_edow
    ✭✭
    But what about the werewolves!?!?! When will they get their day to be reanalyzed and fixed? As far as I can see all the werewolf bugs make the skill line completely usless i.e. getting stuck while using a skill. Where the vampires get the bugs that make them godly i.e. bat mist combo with 6 ulti cost. So much injustice ... smh

• Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update :) ESO is indeed an awesome game and I have no doubt it will only get better with time. See you in Tamriel! :P
    Pelarius, Imperial Dragonknight of the Aldmeri Dominion.
  • liunnos
    liunnos
    nothing about eu server ?
  • Rathsteel
    Rathsteel
    Thanks for taking time out to tell us all this, it helps to know these things are happening behind the scenes.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    Why have we heard nothing about the eu transfer to frankfurt?. You have no idea @ZOS_MattFiror‌ how badly the latency can be at times for us Europeans i implore you to try it you will soon see. The tests you guys must be doing will be in the states we are across the Atlantic.
  • Addictive10
    Please fix the nightblade class! Most of their skills or passives aren't even working properly.
  • Loviotor
    Loviotor
    To those that are making statements regarding "too little, too late" have obviously never played a game at launch. Even the biggest MMO out there had such glaring issues for the first 3 months that the game was unplayable for many people. Database issues that caused players to get locked in the loot position requiring you to /quit out of the game to get back in and be able to go about killing things (they had all of the databases for the individual servers housed on one machine and it caused them to crash constantly), it took the developers close to 3 months to make it where the game was playable on a massive scale. Prior to that, everquest had such glaring issues with release that they actually gave a majority of players free game time for the troubles, and that was mainly just login issues because it was one of the first games to have hundreds of thousands of players on simultaneously, which they actually weren't prepared for.

Fast forward through nearly every MMO that has come out since (and to the ones in the future), each game is going to have issues, especially once they actually get released. NO game that is released is ever 100% bug free, which is why they patch them. People out there that want cheats and hacks will do everything they can to find erroneous code and loopholes in the clients to take advantage of and people will write programs, scripts and or make trainers that allow for the client to be modified, allowing players of the games to do things they otherwise wouldn't be able to do. This brings me to my next point...

Gold Farmers, Gold Sellers and BOTS. These are going to exist in some capacity, regardless of how hyper-vigilant the gaming companies are. There is a huge multi-billion dollar industry in selling of game currency. It exists in every MMO, to some degree, and will continue to exist, as long as these companies have a client base to sell them the gold, a way to farm the gold and people willing to pay real-world currency for in-game assets. The only way to end the gold farmers, spammers and BOTS is to end their ability to make money. The only way to do this is to ban all accounts caught doing business with these companies, of which there are thousands. The problem with doing that is that it will cause problems for the game developers and companies as they will lose the revenue these accounts provide. The fact that this game is pay to play, costs $60.00 retail to purchase and $15.00 monthly kinda makes me believe that the gold farming companies are either making (or expecting to make) a lot of money off this game, or when the game play begins requiring payment to play it, a lot of it will taper off.

ESO has been out for 3 weeks (for those of us who had early access), and is still in its infancy, as far as MMOs are concerned, with veteran games that are still running celebrating 15 years and, in some cases 18 years (Sierra's "The Realm" and Meridian 59 are both 18 years old this year. Everquest celebrated 15 in March, and both World of Warcraft and EverQuest II celebrate 10 years this upcoming November. Every game that I've played (some I continue to play) still have issues on occasion, and when they happen, the players provide feedback, bug reports and help the developers to fix them. Any time they patch something in a game or make changes on the server or client end, they have the risk of other things becoming broken or bugged, so it's a neverending process.

In closing, if you're stating that the game is failing, will fail or otherwise just complaining that the game has issues, give them some time to work on things. Provide constructive feedback and report bugs as you find them, and help the game developers actually fix things, instead of doomsaying and/or just generally making yourself look like a complete idiot by thinking that the game should be100% polished and bug free less than a month into release. Yes, they had beta tests, stress tests and a long time to work on it, but until people out there don't try to subvert the system and cheat, there will never be a 100% polished game out there. Some people want the easy road to "win" a game that's supposed to be played for entertainment. Those are the ones that cause a majority of the problems for gaming companies.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the update, i noticed a huge decrease in gold spammers and bots. keep up the good work
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers for the update & good luck with your quest to ban all the spammers & campers.

Great game & beautiful looking world. I love exploring & PVE.....
    but 90% of my game time seems to be inventory control & that is dead boring :(
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Milaga
    Milaga
    I don't mind buggy quests, as long as you can work around the bugs. You've done a great job on fixing those up. But there still are game-stopper quests. Messages Across Tamriel is still broken for some, which means we can't progress into Coldharbour (just do side quests) or into VR content. Please make these top priority, since right now I just log in to feed my horse and check on my research.

When the bill comes due, I'm not going to pay to do that.
  • Necrocyte
    Necrocyte
    Not sure if this will even be seen...maybe it's the alcohol speaking but...I think maybe you should add some clause in the EULA that if your account is found guilty of such illegal activities such as farming gold for sale or gold spamming (put this into whatever legal terminology you must) that they are subject to pay fines in excess of $10,000...if it's in the EULA and they agree to it, and their activities are blatantly in violation of it...you have reasonable cause to pursue the fine/suit. This would make it a non-profitable venture to farm and sell gold in this game, assuming you follow through.
  • Darkmayne
    Darkmayne
    Thanks for the update! Great game and your hard work and effort are greatly appreciated. I cannot wait to see all the great adventures I will be able to go on in Tamriel!
  • accelastarub17_ESO
    Thanks for the update!! I noticed the huge drop in bots and spammers too today; something y'all are doing is working...! Anyways, good luck with everything you're workin on and thanks for your hard work, Zenimax. :)
  • Milanna
    Milanna
    ✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    Oberon wrote: »
      [*] Remove all loot drops entirely from every public dungeon boss so that they drop no loot whatsoever. No soul stones, no gold, nothing.
      [*] Regular players can then get their public dungeon completions and not be faced with bots at Every. Single. Public. Dungeon. Boss.

You should really think about what things do to a game before you start making suggestions. Scorched earth policy doesn't make good game design.

It is an effective strategy of war though.
      Better burning the supplies than having them feeding the enemy. :smile:
      EU-server
      Mila the True (Aldmeri Dominion)
      Milanna the Cold-hearted (Aldmeri Dominion)
      Raphael the Cunning (Ebonheart Pact)

NA-server
      Cassius Tanicius (Daggerfall Covenant)

I just found garlic, you blood-suckers better stay clear
    • steveb16_ESO46
      steveb16_ESO46
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Loviotor wrote: »
      To those that are making statements regarding "too little, too late" have obviously never played a game at launch. .

I don't care if selling beta code for customers to test is industry practice. Besides, the gold seller and bot problems come from the game design. They left the doors and windows open and put warm milk and cookies out.

Now they are belatedly scrambling to mitigate the impact of these original decisions.

The better option would have been to design the game not to provide an infinite and effortless flow of bottable wealth in the first place.

This is a great game, or will be once bots are gone.
    • knaveofengland
      knaveofengland
      ✭✭✭
      I have a lot of time for this type of game and can see where they are making a difference , but when they don't replace what they lost then game up , I mean I lost 40 bank slots 10k gold and they didn't replace what I lost I know if you brought something in a shop and they lost if they by law would have to give refund or replace
    • mcfishy69b16_ESO
      mcfishy69b16_ESO
      Soul Shriven
      Please fix the large raid group crashing bug for PvP. It makes it so hard to play with Guild members. And marking a leader would be really usefull as it really hard to follow a leader in PvP. Basic stuff we should have. Thx
    • Mythblaze_ESO
      I said in Nov of 2013 that this game should be free to play. Rethinking your choice now?
    • Sin_Dios
      Sin_Dios
      not sure where the appropriate thread would be for this, but i hope a dev see this. i, along with no doubt many adamant raiders and serious pvp'ers, would like the option to choose between abilities on the action bar to activate on button press, instead of the current default of button release. it may not seem like a large concern, but i know it would make a significant difference in our play styles.
    • k661977b14a_ESO
      First off I want to say thanks for a game that I am really enjoying. The fixes have been coming at a decent pace but a lot still needs to be done. Now with that said I have a question for the developers.

Why can't a loot restriction be put in place to get rid of the bots and farmers in public instances/dungeons? Make it a loot main boss only once every 24 hours with a guarantee of their blue drop the first time killed. This is very easy to code and would stop the farmers from making public instances a joke. After a few months this could be brought back up to the way it is now if a drop in the farm bots is noticed.

I know some people would be upset about this but it would let the people that actually want to do the instances and kill the final bosses to be able to without worrying about 15 or 20 farmers jockeying for the kill. You can't even get a hit in without an AOE most of the time.
    • knaveofengland
      knaveofengland
      ✭✭✭
      look at gw2 kill the boss good drop next time poor drop hardly any xp that works
    • Megachill
      Megachill
      I would love to see if you guys would fix grouping and develop something useful, like Quest Sharing and progress between group members! What is the point in grouping or being social if everyone of that group has to do their own thing anyways.

Totally unsocial guys, if you can promise to develop this functionality I shall keep throwing monthly fees in your direction, if however major game systems like these are not in place soon, I'll wait until it's f2p ... This game has potential, don't go eff it up please...
    • Jade1986
      Jade1986
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      And not a peep on the EU servers actually being MOVED TO THE EU?! Really disheartening.....
    • jasterslegacy2000b14_ESO
      Always nice to know what you're doing with our money. I'm hoping in another months time a lot of the quest issues are resolved as well as the gold farmers. It's a good game but it's incomplete. Probably should've been held another 2 months before launch.
    • KerinKor
      KerinKor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      laced wrote: »
      And not a peep on the EU servers actually being MOVED TO THE EU?! Really disheartening.....
      Not disheartening at all, I have no 'latency' problems playing from Europe and I much prefer the servers being local to ZOS until the current set of problems is sorted out.

As usual, people are fixated on 'ping' times and blame everything on that, I see very, very few 'lags' situations and those I do are patently server-side and not due to the wire between they and me.