Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

ERROR 209 FIX!

Beleron
Beleron
✭✭✭
This "FIX" will fix it however its a problem on zenimax side on verifying the version. Re installing, or doing this fix doesn't mean it can't happen again. You have the right version, its an issue on there end. This just helps get it to verify properly.
The problem Lies with the updater and verifying with the server.

Find your zenimax folder in program files. Open it and go into elder scrolls online. You will see 3 folders. In each folder there is a respective version folder.
vo.en.version
game.version
depot.version
DO NOT DELETE.
CUT AND PASTE THEM TO A DIFFERENT FOLDER.... doesn't matter where.
Open launcher. It will probably try to re download game. It also may start the client and at same time try downloading the full game, as it is confused without the folders.
Close both the client, and the launcher.
Put the version folders BACK WHERE YOU FOUND THEM. Re open launcher. This should fix the problem. Basically shocks the launchers into working =p
You can avoid re downloading the game by doing this, however it is NOT ADVISED as ANY AND ALL messing around with these folders could cause you to have to re install the entire game, so backing up the game files is a extremely good idea.

To TESO team, would be great to have a tool made that does this kind of thing when you get error 209... re downloading the game is just a horrid hassle.

Its all because the login and authentication servers are getting confused with the version number, or at least that's what it looks like..
This is game breaking and stops people from playing... a tool.... yes a tool would be great...

UPDATE FOR MORE INFO

delete bethesda_net.launcher.version" file from the "\Zenimax Online\Launcher" folder *****
this has worked for some and for others the game has tried to fully re download. DO NOT DELETE. Move it out of the folder so you can put it back if it does not work.

If you delete the folders, as another poster mentioned.
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6486/
will show how to get them back

This "FIX" will fix it however its a problem on zenimax side on verifying the version. Re installing, or doing this fix doesn't mean it can't happen again. You have the right version, its an issue on there end. This just helps get it to verify properly.

IP FIG commands ect -- from another post that may help.
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/80209/found-the-root-cause-of-many-login-issues#latest
Edited by Beleron on April 16, 2014 10:41PM
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow there aren't any other threads with this same exact info.

This only lets you get the play button and shows initializing to the left. After a while you launcher will still get the same error.

Its not a fix. The version will be the old version.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Jake71887
    Jake71887
    ✭✭✭
    Moving them out and back in worked perfectly, half expected it to end up in flames :P
  • lee.vanderlipub17_ESO
    Not a fix!
  • Cythraul
    Cythraul
    Thanks for posting this. Didn't work for me, so now I am attempting a full reinstall.

Have to say, this is incredibly frustrating.
  • lee.vanderlipub17_ESO
    Full reinstall didn't work for me, I'm stuck with the same error and the so called "FIX" doesn't work either.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to delete the version files then follow these steps.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6486/

These other posters failed to link this.
  • nom-db16_ESO
    Yes this doesn't work, neither do any of the other fixes put up on the forum so far. I can only hope the send a new patch
  • mcmatter
    mcmatter
    I simply went into my launcher settings, changed my server to EU, exited out of settings. Saw the install option, went back into settings and changed it back to North America Server, exited out of settings and hit the play button all was good.
  • pegleg2060b14_ESO
    Oddly enough this fixed it
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    mcmatter wrote: »
    I simply went into my launcher settings, changed my server to EU, exited out of settings. Saw the install option, went back into settings and changed it back to North America Server, exited out of settings and hit the play button all was good.

This seems to work right after the change from Europe, then change again to NA (instead of hit and miss exit open exit open)

Will see how it fairs
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, died again
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had this error. I exited out of every thing and restarted and now it magically works.
  • Lord_Tonjin
    Lord_Tonjin
    ✭✭
    Wish I saw this before I screwed up and am now waiting 2 hours to download the entire game. I will remember this for next time though!
    Edited by Lord_Tonjin on April 15, 2014 11:12PM
    "In fire there is the spark of chaos and destruction, the seed of life. In ice there is perfect tranquility, perfect order, and the silence of death."
  • rylay
    rylay
    closing and starting the launcher a bunch worked for me
    took like 5 minutes
  • Dewster82
    Dewster82
    dont do this...seems to redownload it all (like a repair) haha sorry I just ran the Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe seemed to recheck everything and work...will update if it was a fluke! (its not like the BETA link which has scripting in it...had to try it to see)
    Edited by Dewster82 on April 15, 2014 11:26PM
  • ironicsilence
    i didnt bother with any of the above, I ran the repair, which failed and told me to run the consultant, ran that, then repaired again, still got the error. Rebooted my pc and it magically fixed itself
  • Dustile
    Dustile
    ✭✭✭
    Thank You. Worked
  • gwessingrwb17_ESO
    Just deleting the Bethesda.net_Launcher.version file works, no need to delete any others.
  • RussianRambo
    I fixed my problem by deleting game_player.version from Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game folder. Just close the launcher and delete that file. Then start the launcher again. In my case it downloaded ~70mb patch and now the game works again.
  • acutechb16_ESO
    All I had to do was delete the "bethesda_net.launcher.version" file from the "\Zenimax Online\Launcher" folder. I restarted the launcher and it updated the launcher, not the game. All is working now.
  • Jorvalt
    Jorvalt
    Worked like a charm, thanks. And just so you guys know, he means you take out the folders inside the Elder Scrolls Online folder.
  • Shrimpkabob
    im getting this also
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can play now but my version still does not say the current version after following ESO guidance, no I do not want to reinstall unless it's unrepairable.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Katsutoshi_ESO
    Katsutoshi_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    You do not have to "Delete" any files at all! the game run fine after the patcher done! :D

I to got the "error 209" that only due to patcher software! not game it self! :'(
    They need to fix patcher software! okai this what i did to get the game to run for me! :p

it realy easy! (*)

okai what you do is go to "run command" on window 7/8
    typ ""k:\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe"

just make sure which drive put it on as you kan see i have many drives! the game should start playing like should normaly it does... ;)

the only thing i found out is that patcher is what need to be fixed not the main game... (ps: sorry mai english not strong) :s

etto-serina.jpg
    Edited by Katsutoshi_ESO on April 16, 2014 1:40AM
  • jmoore59
    jmoore59
    ✭✭
    I fixed my problem by deleting game_player.version from Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game folder. Just close the launcher and delete that file. Then start the launcher again. In my case it downloaded ~70mb patch and now the game works again.

This reinstalls the patch for me but the error 209 still comes back.
  • VorronDeadfear
    Deleting the game_player.ver is only a temporary fix for me. Error 209 still comes back. Can we get a response from a gm please?
  • Rage_Frost
    Rage_Frost
    ✭✭✭
    Ok here is my Update if you have followed my reply's in this thread you know its been a long day.

I just got done installing a clean download of the Game from my account download link.
    it was a 22GB download followed by 65mb, 65mb, 5gb, 35mb and 47mb patch of the game files...

The game is looking as it is working without error 209 problems.
    Now on a side note before all of this I was using the "BETA ver of the game patched to the LIVE ver of the game." Not sure if that is what the problem is or not. But I wanted to throw it out their... If any Dev's or GM's are still looking into this..

When I launch the game it now states Ver 1.0.0.968197
    Again I do not know if that is todays patch or what not but the game is working for me it at least now started to the log in screen and the game let me play.

I have tested this 4 times now with no more error's or any problem at all

I know this is not what a lot of you want to hear But I can say 100% unlike others who have stated these so called delete and replace files etc. This method does work

Super Sad Face.... :(
  • 23prisbot_ESO
    23prisbot_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for this fix. It worked very well. I couldn't even run a repair before because it would give me the error again when I hit repair. I did as the OP suggested and boom the game works again. :)
  • Zeekez
    Zeekez
    quicker fix:

Open Launcher, go to "Game Consultant", click "check for updates" on the game consultant, it will say new update available. Close the consultant and the launcher [seriously, don't touch anything, just close em out], restart the launcher - bam you're back in the game in 30 seconds.
  • cybervlad81b14_ESO

This worked for me. The launcher update did not. Seems people are having the same error for two or more issues. Anyways, Thanks @RussianRambo‌