Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Bots ruining public dungeons

• warhelix
    warhelix
    Soul Shriven
    Its not only the dungeons that are swarming with bots. Did some questing in Bleak Rock yesterday for an hour or so and holly ..... bots teleporting and harvesting nodes all over the place. Reported 8 different in 1 hour. Makes me wonder if they do something about this or. Because its getting worse and taking all the enjoyment out of this fantastic mmo. :(
    Edited by warhelix on April 14, 2014 8:20AM
  • TheRedMage
    TheRedMage
    ✭✭✭
    warhelix wrote: »
    Its not only the dungeons that are swarming with bots. Did some questing in Bleak Rock yesterday for an hour or so and holly ..... bots teleporting and harvesting nodes all over the place. Reported 8 different in 1 hour. Makes me wonder if they do something about this or. Because its getting worse and taking all the enjoyment out of this fantastic mmo. :(
    Today, we made our first major strike against those who choose to cheat in ESO, permanently banning thousands. This is only the beginning of our ongoing efforts to keep the game free from botters, speed hackers, and gold spammers. We want to thank everyone who has sent in-game reports about these individuals in ESO—your reports helped us identify many of the accounts we banned today. Please continue to report any botters, gold spammers, and speed hackers you see in-game, and we’ll continue our efforts to keep them out of Tamriel.

Take heart, they *are* acting against bots!

Taken from :
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/74536/taking-action-against-cheaters-in-eso/p1
    Please try not to think I'm hostile, I'm not trying to be. I just have a hard time wording things with tact >_<.
  • Roboboy2710
    Roboboy2710
    ✭✭
    A good idea would be to have the boss kill able once-per-player, giving full xp and drops, and then either teleporting them to the start of the dungeon, or just having the boss never reappear for them.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    A good idea would be to have the boss kill able once-per-player, giving full xp and drops, and then either teleporting them to the start of the dungeon, or just having the boss never reappear for them.

Having it be one and done is a bit of overkill in my view. I don't think it's wrong for a player to farm the boss for a while -- maybe an hour at most. I don't like to do it, because I find it boring, but farming bosses is a common enough playstyle in MMOs, I think, so outlawing it completely would be overkill. Some kind of timer or something would be a better approach.
  • Korusus
    Korusus
    ✭✭

Having it be one and done is a bit of overkill in my view. I don't think it's wrong for a player to farm the boss for a while -- maybe an hour at most. I don't like to do it, because I find it boring, but farming bosses is a common enough playstyle in MMOs, I think, so outlawing it completely would be overkill. Some kind of timer or something would be a better approach.

If farming bosses were made a legitimate activity (and I'm not saying it isn't legitimate), it would have to be paired with scaling the boss difficulty. Plenty of games have farmable bosses, but how many have farmable bosses that are faceroll easy and respawn every 2 minutes?

I think the timer is only going to solves half the problem (and maybe doesn't even solve the bot problem, I think better enforcement from GMs is the only way to solve that).

• knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Korusus wrote: »

If farming bosses were made a legitimate activity (and I'm not saying it isn't legitimate), it would have to be paired with scaling the boss difficulty. Plenty of games have farmable bosses, but how many have farmable bosses that are faceroll easy and respawn every 2 minutes?

I think the timer is only going to solves half the problem (and maybe doesn't even solve the bot problem, I think better enforcement from GMs is the only way to solve that).

I think scaling the difficulty is another good idea. Right now the situation seems objectively problematic in that it is too easy to get soul gems, which seems to be the main attraction since they are a guaranteed drop and people are using it as a way to farm gold. The other drops seem to be gravy at this point. Perhaps if they made the soul gems a rarer drop, or made a good number of them less than full it would help, while retaining the same loot table for other items.

The GMs issue is a manpower problem. I don't see a game dedicating a GM police force to monitor public dungeons really -- at least not to the degree necessary to effectively get rid of bots -- too much manpower needed when GMs are also asked to do other things (and there aren't that many of them anyway).
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    If they don't nip this and the harvest warp exploit in the bud, the farmers will single-handedly destroy this game's gold economy before it even properly matures.

It's all within guilds so there is hardly much of an economy to start with.

The main way gold farmers screw with a games economy is inflating or lowering prices on public auction houses which we don't have here.

Gold isn't shared around as much as it is in games with a public AH so the economy is already all over the place.

The only people making good money are those in large trading guilds. Smaller guilds have nothing going for them and there are quite a few guilds with empty guild stores.

Over the characters I have, i'm sat on just over 100k in gold that will just continue to mount as there isn't anything to spend it on.
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using unauthorized 3rd party programs to play the game for you "botting" is against the EULA and a bane on MMO since forever, and it is heavy on the community as much as the gamemasters to report/react to this.

Multi-boxing without use of the above violation is not even close to the same category unless they fall under griefing, which is not allowed in PvE.

Intentionally blocking player progress/griefing can be reported. It is upto ZOS to determine "intentional" criteria.

Regardless of how many accounts they have:
    /say "you are blocking my progress in this dungeon,quest etc... "
    SS their responses, and /report if they continue to intentionally block your progression. The key is showing you told them they are blocking progress and they persists that shows it is intentional.

Some will be warned some will be banned.. you wont know but the message gets out there to the regular players, bots don't care either-way.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Umbra
    Umbra
    ✭✭✭
    Approve:
    Screenshot_20140415_191920.png
    Screenshot_20140415_191927.png

It's very difficult to make achivement in public dungeon and it's impossible to loot a boss.

Screenshot_20140415_203200.png

I tryed to complete quest at this cave... 5 or 6 times. Need something to do with that.
    Edited by Umbra on April 16, 2014 7:14AM