Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why are people criticizing this game so much?

seano509b14a_ESO
I just dont understand why there is so many people hating on this game so much.
Edited by seano509b14a_ESO on April 8, 2014 10:56AM
-In thy name of Akatosh!-
  • Honn
    Honn
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of launch issues.
    The rest of them are WOW trolls tbh. The Twitch streams are full of them.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some as said are upset about the few launch issues, but there is a hard core block of wow fanboys that are upset because (GASP) this isn't wow....

just ignore them, free month is over in 26 days....
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand it either, but that is the human nature - always finding something to be negative about, rather than focus on the positives. Personally, I'm having a blast with this game, poking into every nook and cranny for treasure and materials, enjoying the lush, detailed landscapes and not rushing to level my guy up - I like to take my sweet time in games.

Sure, there are things I don't care for so much, or things I would like to change a bit (like retexturing the horses!), but I don't whine about them. Each to their own, and the more choices and possibilities, the better.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    Attention, and being too lazy to fact check (for themselves, not through friends) before ranting and riling others up. It's annoying, but sadly unavoidable.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah good call with the free period being over in 3 weeks... wait it out and only people who actually like the game will be left.
  • Moyana
    Moyana
    ✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure. Anyone who has played MMO's in the last few years knows that very few (if any) launches are foolproof and work right off the bat. TESO is no different, sure they are patching during playtime, but what MMO hasn't, if it needs to be done, it needs to be done, and i'd rather the game go down for some time to fix the issues, than be stuck with them.

I think a lot of it may come from (as people mentioned) trolls from other games, who have little better to do than slate the latest game to join the MMO community, pretty sad if you ask me.

That being said, I also think quite a bit of it is coming from people who think that re-coding and patching can be done with a click of the fingers, and don't realise that changing a single line, hell, even a single digit or even placing a "," or "." can completely break another line of code and your game. Coding is difficult, laborious and takes a lot of time and effort, and I have nothing but respect for those coding patches and fixes into the game.

To those working on the game - Keep it up, ignore the trolls and whiners and (for lack of a better word) children who demand blood at the slightest issue and mishap, know that there are some of us who know the pain you are going through and fully support you.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    Yeah good call with the free period being over in 3 weeks... wait it out and only people who actually like the game will be left.

^ This ^

After the first free month, the haters will be thinned out as they move onto another game.
    Edited by AlienSlof on April 8, 2014 11:20AM
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, with the end of early start we already lost some trolls...
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how WOW-bashers take every opportunity to troll their hate.

That said, this is the internet, it's anonymous. Also, MMOs are targetted largely at the demographic most likely to contain the highly self-entitled who expect it NOW: it takes an adult to accept frustration calmly and rationally,

Some people clearly have had a lot of problems, or one problem that's taken an unacceptably long time to fix.

Zen haven't done themselves any favours at times by making some poor decisions with respect to downtime, their lack of communication concerning the state of several serious problems, etc.

Their payment validation, ie. charge a CC then void it, was badly handled. They were absolutely within their rights to do it, the legal T&C clearly stated a "valid payment method" was needed to play but the legal and practical subtlety of that was not at all obvious to those who've not experienced such practices before: and in spite of the many who all "all MMOs do this", in fact few do.

Looked at objectively the launch has been rough but nowhere near as bad as several in recent years but nerdrage isn't objective. There have been a few really bad problems that shouldn't have been there, eg. bank slots and contents disappearing that still hasn't been remedied for some, and many people simply let frustration get the better of them.

So yes, there's a lot of 'hate' round here, but web forums are entirely not the place to judge the greater picture, where those who shout the loudest can give a false view of the feelings of players in general.

ESO isn't a bad game, Zenimax isn't a bad company, there are rough edges on both that need smoothing but I think most players on balance are likely to be content.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »

Still some of the more persistent ones left though. Some dudes just love to ruin others' experience, and I won't go into the Freudian aspects of that behavior here...
  • slymerub17_ESO
    Because people are more likely to login to a forum when they have a complaint. It's like this on almost every forum. Go check out the GW2 forums. You'd think these people are being forced to play it. I'm loving this game, but I don't really have the urge to sign in and tell everyone how great it is.
  • seano509b14a_ESO
    Yeah see I am enjoying this game more than I did Wow in all honesty. I am finding myself actually loving the scenery and finding treasures and such throughout the world.
    -In thy name of Akatosh!-
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some as said are upset about the few launch issues, but there is a hard core block of wow fanboys that are upset because (GASP) this isn't wow....

Careful what you wish for.

Potential customers leaving is never a good thing for a companies bottom line.

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of us have absolutely no problems at all with the game itself.

We really enjoy the game.

But we hate the bugs.

When you're on a roll questing and you hit a block of quests that bug out on you it gets frustrating. We know they will fix them sooner or later but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Much like when i'm driving and hit a traffic jam. There is nothing I can do about it but wait .... they still *** me off though.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Still some of the more persistent ones left though. Some dudes just love to ruin others' experience, and I won't go into the Freudian aspects of that behavior here...

Yes, but these people are severely disturbed or 13 years old, I'd really avoid answering to them, they only look for attention so if you don't give any, they'll move to troll WS when it comes out.

@KerinKor‌ it's not hate towards WoW, I played WoW for years since it launched, it's a certain type of WoW player that we used to call wrathbaby..
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greydog wrote: »

1) these people ALWAYS leave after 1 or 2 months
    2) any game is better without them
    3) TES fans and wow players with an open mentality will stick around
    4) the megaserver architecture makes it so that it doesn't matter if there are 500K or 5mil players

So long and thanks for all the cash
    Edited by mutharex on April 8, 2014 11:25AM
  • Hodorius
    Hodorius
    ✭✭✭
    In fact I have not seen that many complies. <= subjective opinion
    I am not talking about the amount of threads but about the issues.

If there is a thread about some problem you have and it already has like 500 posts and not a single dev has commented it you can be sure it´s beeing ignored.
    People tend to open new threads in such cases.

But one thing is sure: after 60 days everyone who dislikes this game or the way they are treated will be gone.
    It´s 60 and not 30 because everyone who does not want to transfer his money the "electronic way" is forced to buy 30 days via game card which is not refundable.
    Edited by Hodorius on April 8, 2014 11:29AM
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, but these people are severely disturbed or 13 years old, I'd really avoid answering to them, they only look for attention so if you don't give any, they'll move to troll WS when it comes out.

@KerinKor‌ it's not hate towards WoW, I played WoW for years since it launched, it's a certain type of WoW player that we used to call wrathbaby..

When I was hyped for TSW and hoping for it to do well I was thinking "keep the whiners as long as they're still paying and supporting the game", but now I'm thinking "get out of here". As long as we are enough subs to keep the game from going f2p I'm happy.
    Edited by Jitterbug on April 8, 2014 11:33AM
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭
    You can tell you have a WoW fanatic when they call their character a "toon."

This isn't a cartoon, your character doesn't have giant floppy ears, and there is no Acme company.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hodorius‌ this forum is for technical questions, player helps players etc. There is no General to avoid all the trolling that accompanies it. So, yeah, whine threads are being ignored because (outside of technical or billing problems) they want feedback in game with the /feedback command. So they can ignore the trolls and listen to people who aren't just whining
  • Axzaril
    Axzaril
    ✭✭
    My 2 cents. Thoroughly enjoying ESO. Sure, there are issues, but overall a really good experience for me so far. There's so much vitriol running around so decided to post saying it's all good for me. Nothing has happened that isn't the norm in the mmo scene imo.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see more people just giving feedback than people hating, a lot of people just want the game to survive including me but the game needs more help to be able to do that.
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greydog wrote: »

1) these people ALWAYS leave after 1 or 2 months
    . . .

This is so true. You couldn't win them back even if you wanted to.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    ^ This ^

After the first free month, the haters will be thinned out as they move onto another game.
    Still not understand why anybody would buy an game they don't like?
    Understand it during beta, lots of people would try and find they did not like it however why not try the game in the beta before you buy.

The other type of people complaining is the ones who have an special issue they don't like in an else excellent game, magic in Skyrim is an good example.

Finaly you have people complaining about bugs, from serious to petty ones.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an unfortunate trend, people (mostly kids) will pick up a game just because it's new, without knowing anything about it (hence all the "where is the minimap" or "just 5 skills?!?FAIL!" comments) because they are used to go on a forum and troll till they are either banned or they obtain what they want (and then leave).

The even more unfortunate thing is that a lot of these people can vote....
  • bodom85
    bodom85
    Osi wrote: »
    You can tell you have a WoW fanatic when they call their character a "toon."
    This isn't a cartoon, your character doesn't have giant floppy ears, and there is no Acme company.
    I still call my characters on here toons :neutral_face:
    But to be fair, WoW was the only mmo I have played until a briefly got into rift. I'll probably always call them toons but I am really digging this game. I haven't had the urge to play wow in months. I had stop playing for a while and got left behind my my guild and friends. After having more max toons then I'd like to admit, this is a welcome change. I found myself rushing at first then remembered this is new and I haven't done it a hundred times. Now I'm taking it slow and just exploring and enjoying the quests and scenery.

The mighty scamp slayer.
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭
    Im not a "WoW troll" but this game is far from ideal state even without bugs and unexpected maintenance. For example - character animations is pretty bad with clunky (animations again!) and repetitive combat...
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    @Moyana wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure. Anyone who has played MMO's in the last few years knows that very few (if any) launches are foolproof and work right off the bat. TESO is no different, sure they are patching during playtime, but what MMO hasn't, if it needs to be done, it needs to be done, and i'd rather the game go down for some time to fix the issues, than be stuck with them.

I think a lot of it may come from (as people mentioned) trolls from other games, who have little better to do than slate the latest game to join the MMO community, pretty sad if you ask me.

That being said, I also think quite a bit of it is coming from people who think that re-coding and patching can be done with a click of the fingers, and don't realise that changing a single line, hell, even a single digit or even placing a "," or "." can completely break another line of code and your game. Coding is difficult, laborious and takes a lot of time and effort, and I have nothing but respect for those coding patches and fixes into the game.

To those working on the game - Keep it up, ignore the trolls and whiners and (for lack of a better word) children who demand blood at the slightest issue and mishap, know that there are some of us who know the pain you are going through and fully support you.
    @AlienSlof wrote: »
    Don't understand it either, but that is the human nature - always finding something to be negative about, rather than focus on the positives. Personally, I'm having a blast with this game, poking into every nook and cranny for treasure and materials, enjoying the lush, detailed landscapes and not rushing to level my guy up - I like to take my sweet time in games.

Sure, there are things I don't care for so much, or things I would like to change a bit (like retexturing the horses!), but I don't whine about them. Each to their own, and the more choices and possibilities, the better.

Well, here's the thing, see. Some of those people "whining" haven't been able to play the game at all. some of them manage to log in and are immediately booted. Some of them are appalled that the pre-authorisation on their credit cards are anything from 15$ to amounts in multiples of that. Some of those pre-authorisations have still not been refunded after several days. Some of them have broken launchers. Some of them haven't gotten their game codes yet, four days after official launch. Some of them had their games broken by hastily coded patches. Some of them have had their prime times wrecked (and will continue to be wrecked for the forseeable) by scheduled maintenance.

And finally, some of them were in closed beta and some of them were in open beta and most of the bugs that they reported are still in the game.

So just because your experiences were relatively acceptable doesn't mean other people's were. When you say focus on the positive please be sure that these people who you're complaining about have actually experienced the positives, because, newsflash, a lot of them haven't.
    Edited by WhiteQueen on April 8, 2014 12:36PM
  • Moyana
    Moyana
    ✭✭
    I've been on the receiving end of practically all of that, bar the $15 pre-authorisation and not receiving the game code. So, I've experienced quite a lot of the negatives. However it's a new release, there is not a single MMO I can name that has had a flawless release and bearing that in mind and realising there is an outdoors i'm more than happy to wait it out and let it get fixed.

Sure things could have been better, however it's only the first week of it's official release, give it time. Additionally, people need to remember that the staff working on this game are humans, they have their limits and commitments too and funnily enough need to sleep and rest.
    Edited by Moyana on April 8, 2014 12:46PM
  • Jenasy
    Jenasy
    ✭✭✭
    i see a couple valid issues with ppl who bought the game of off amazon and cant get in the game, and i think zenimax should have been more forthcoming that they were gonna take money out of the account right away (though I half expected it with knowing how MMO's work). That being said My account never got charged for the 15 yet, so i was a lucky one i guess. Sadly some valid concerns have now become a troll fest.

What i see ppl not understanding... Customer support has limits.. This game is bringing in huge amounts of ppl and because and im sure they have millions and millions of tickets. They say its crappy service. But there are limits in what anyone can do.

I also see ppl say fix the bugs then complain about downtime LOL.. Well how do u think they fix the bugs ?

I also see ppl comparing having a game work the same as buying a car or a tv. Saying if my car doesn't work then why would i pay for it so why should i pay for a game that isn't working. Game is working. Maybe its not working for you! There are many reasons for this.. Your computer, some shipping issue, 3rd party vendor issue (cuz u bought ur game through a 3rd party, and they screwed up). And so on......

Ppl also have unrealistic expectations on how a new game works...How 1st week of launch should run. I can think of when i played WoW and Mists of Panda came out. Keep in mind this is a game that has been around for years and years. I remember 1st week was so full of bugs and crashes it was hard to play.

I gotta say, sure ive fell through the world 100 times and ive ran into my share of bugs. But I am loving the game. I can see my self looking back in 2 or 3 years and laughing about all the silly game bugs i ran into. :)
    Edited by Jenasy on April 8, 2014 12:48PM