Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

BOTS! BOTS EVERYWHERE!

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those who buy gold from these spammers may think they are only effecting themselves when they give out their credit info to these highly dubious gold companies but we all pay the price.

1) Constant Spam in chat channel
    2) All craft nodes farmed in circuit by bots
    3) Having your node stolen by a bot while you took out the node guardian
    4) Having to change your text size because the gold spammer made his sign so big you can't ignore him
    5) Price inflation
    6) Having your mail box filled with gold spam emails

So don't harbor them in your guild or your friends list. If you know someone is a gold buyer do us all a favor and put them on ignore. Make the cost of buying gold greater than just having your credit card stolen and your account hacked. The less that buy gold the less bots and spammers.
    Edited by Armitas on April 8, 2014 12:41PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Seanb0y16
    Seanb0y16
    There was me thinking these guys were actually playing the game and just farming the mobs over and over. Should've figured bots would already be in the game, it's bad enough with all the gold sellers, but no game is safe from either.

Hard to agree or disagree with removing loot from bosses after being killed once. But I do agree in public dungeons as you hardly have to work for it.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Removing loot after 1 kill is very bad idea, as loot tables are random, so if you are after blue sword, and boss drops green shield, you literally have no chances to get it. Locks will be better idea, works very well in other games-after you kill boss you have to wait 24/48 hours to do it again. Mainly used for raids, but can be implemented for instances without any problem.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've not see any bots yet I must say, but it's natural that they will be in an MMO. How ZoS deal with them will be interesting.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hirion wrote: »
    I've not see any bots yet I must say, but it's natural that they will be in an MMO. How ZoS deal with them will be interesting.

You probably have you just didn't realize they were bots.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    In fact from what I have seen so far the only good loot I have seen is in public dungeons and not necessarily the bosses; you get nothing outside. Bosses (to me) have been mediocre at best. Well the only time I got a blue was off a deadroth and that was in one one of the mini-spawns.

I did a bit of farming in one of the dungeons - and got enough for some gainful research and got bored.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWIM managed to decompile the cusomized ZLIB encryption they use for game_0000.dat and the launcher before release even happened.

If SWIM can manage that, is it hard to believe making an auto-it script would be so hard? That doesn't even require knowing the MNF purpose for crying out loud.

You can't kill off botting. I't sad, but true.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 7, 2014 3:29PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've yet to notice any. And as far as gold spammers, with multiple guilds I have no need to have zone chat on. So I don't notice them.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunhilda wrote: »
    They ( Fixed ) the quest in PvP that hurt Cyro a little,

Sadly, that "fix" stopped some people from bothering with Cyrodiil.

• LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    Just because they don't play like you doesn't make them a bot. Those named mobs all have rare drops. So people kill them over and over in the hopes of getting that rare drop.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    i farmed Guar for an hour in the same circle a day or so ago. hope no one reported me >.< lol
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just because they don't play like you doesn't make them a bot. Those named mobs all have rare drops. So people kill them over and over in the hopes of getting that rare drop.

True, not everyone farming a dungeonboss is a bot and farming a boss is ok to a degree. But there have definitely been bots around in some of the public dungeons.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Maotti
      Maotti
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DanteYoda wrote: »
      I've actually seen them under the ground at nodes (you can see their names when you tilt the camera down) you know their there when you cannot access a node and your character cannot interact with it.

So that's why! :/ That's annoying!
      PC EU
    • OZGODUSA
      OZGODUSA
      From experience, bots are usually at the bottom of developers' priority list, particularly at the launch of an MMO. Reason? 1) other things are more important, like fixing bugs and ensuring game stability and 2) bots are still paying subscriptions. Don't expect these to be fixed anytime soon, or ever, and thus don't let them ruin your gaming experience stressing about them. Do the right thing, report them and move on (even if it won't accomplish anything).
    • Wolfpack12c
      Okay after watching this video I see nothing wrong with what he is doing. He is wasting HIS time making gold... If he was hitting on the other hand then I would have an issue but that doesn't look like its the case in the video.... Now I have seen botters and I report them but I say something in a whisper first so I know if its a botter. Look if your going to pay a monthly sub and your not breaking a rule then keep going that's how he spends his time let him. Remember different people want different things. At the very most I can see this guy as trolling at the very most. And even trolling would be hard to get
    • OZGODUSA
      OZGODUSA
      Dunhilda wrote: »
      Delte wrote: »
      I have reported a few gold sellers already. As for the bots it is easy to fix.
      Once a player has the achievement for a dungeon they get no more loot from that boss.

LOLs man that was the worst way to fix anything in a MMO
      THE WORST WAY

do you want ESO to die very soon? They ( Fixed ) the quest in PvP that hurt Cyro a little, sure let's now nerf boss drops after you get the achievement...

I'm going to level to level 50 kill the main boss in the last dungeon and get some loot and then I'll quit the game I done all that I can do.

Seriously, people are acting like this is a singleplayer game. It isn't. Elder Scrolls VI is coming eventually. This is the MMORPG based on the lore of Elder Scrolls.

Yes, a lot of people seem to think this is Elder Scrolls VI singleplayer. People complaining about seeing other people in the game world and so on.
    • EssTee
      EssTee

The bots we have noticed don't "play" like anything, they stand on the spot, in the same spot, every time, casting the same thing, every time. It is severely obvious that they are bots. Debate the issue, not the validity of the post.
    • Vilixiti
      Vilixiti
      ✭✭✭

EssTee wrote: »

The bots we have noticed don't "play" like anything, they stand on the spot, in the same spot, every time, casting the same thing, every time. It is severely obvious that they are bots. Debate the issue, not the validity of the post.

This is *exactly* how I play when I'm farming a boss. I tend to stand in the same spot because that's the optimal place for me to place my camera for looting purposes. I will use the same two skills in the same order every time because that is the most efficient method for getting enough damage done for looting rights. I will do this for as long as it takes to fill my pack before moving to the same spot to wayshrine out and empty my pack so I can do it all over again for as long as I want before getting bored. Not to mention that holding conversations in that situation is less than optimal as the boss will spawn and be dead before you can get a hit off for loot because you're typing.

I'm pretty sure I was reported by at least a couple people if there's people like you here crying on the forums about it. You guys need to just grow up and play the game, worrying less about what other people are doing. Sheesh..
    • T3CHN01221
      T3CHN01221
      ✭✭
      Vilixiti wrote: »

This is *exactly* how I play when I'm farming a boss. I tend to stand in the same spot because that's the optimal place for me to place my camera for looting purposes. I will use the same two skills in the same order every time because that is the most efficient method for getting enough damage done for looting rights. I will do this for as long as it takes to fill my pack before moving to the same spot to wayshrine out and empty my pack so I can do it all over again for as long as I want before getting bored. Not to mention that holding conversations in that situation is less than optimal as the boss will spawn and be dead before you can get a hit off for loot because you're typing.

I'm pretty sure I was reported by at least a couple people if there's people like you here crying on the forums about it. You guys need to just grow up and play the game, worrying less about what other people are doing. Sheesh..

Okay then.. Please tell me why they don't respond to anything. Even such things as "Jump up and down if you're not a bot." Numerous whispers to them and no reply. Same with trade invites. We had like 3-4 people in a dungeon and replied to none of them. So unless you're are just rude and don't reply to people. Pretty sure they're bots. Why wouldn't we worry about the integrity of the game though? Please tell me.
    • Ashigaru
      Ashigaru
      ✭✭✭✭
      Kyosji wrote: »
      Let me get this straight. You guys are reporting HIGHER level players going into LOWER level zones and farming mass amounts of monsters for items and crafting materials, right?

You all do know that continuous FALSE reports against players can result in suspension or termination of your own account, right? These people aren't breaking ANY rules.

Well not only what you said but lets look at auridon, after 21 there is no xp there and if you dont get xp off a mob you dont get loot. So i have no idea what they are talking about higher lvls farming lower lvl mobs. Hell why would you when the higher lvl mobs are so easy to kill to farm anyway.

I swear some people just look for ways to *** with other people. You know it reminds me of the busy body on your street (and you all know who i am talking about) the person that is trying to get into everyone's business becasue they have no life themselves and you just want to beat the *** out of them.
    • Rukur
      Rukur
      ✭✭
      15 Years of MMO.

I cant believe spammers and bots can not be killied.

It is staggering that games now let them roam and spam customers so easy
    • Vilified
      Vilified
      ✭✭
      I don't see how the guy in the video is breaking any rules, he's a high level AoE farming lower level monsters for profit. Every game I played for the past decade has had players doing the exact same thing, I've done it in the past as well and never was warned to stop doing such a thing. The botters who are teleporting from node to node are actually breaking the rules, they're preventing actual players from harvesting those nodes.

I personally have a wish list that Zenimax will let players report the botter enough times and then that botter becomes kill-able.
      Edited by Vilified on April 7, 2014 7:13PM
      Ayita of the Dominion
    • crush83
      crush83
      ✭✭✭✭
      I've got to say, I was a bit shocked, and even depressed about that 20k/hr farming video. It's sad that the ability exists for such money to be made. Even more shocking is the rate at which he is getting the rare/legendary upgrade components...

That said, this shouldn't be a bannable/suspendable offense. He's operating completely 100% within the parameters of the game. He's using no third party programs or helpers.

It's simply depressing that this can be done. I don't blame him for doing it...I just wish that Zenimax would remedy the issue in a sensible way. Handing out bans for playing the game is never a good idea.
    • slander36
      slander36
      ✭✭✭
      I'd just like to add here that if ESO had a global AH this issue would absolutely destroy the economy before even a week had passed, causing rollbacks and hot-fixes all over the place. The fact that some VR1 guys can go and farm a dungeon for 200k gold and have it not affect the rest of the population in the least is a great thing. With a global AH he would have been able to buy out the entire market and flood it with goods at exorbitant prices, making gold sellers extremely popular among those willing to break the TOS just so they could keep up with people exploiting systems.
    • nimbli
      nimbli
      ✭✭✭
      Don't get me wrong, I do not like bots either, but NOBODY is required to respond to another player's command to "jump up and down". I would refuse to reply on general principle. I do not mind being reported as a bot for not doing so either. As I am human, I feel this should be fairly easy to prove. And I would much rather do that than feel that I have to respond to someone I do not want to talk to.
    • WyeVxndzz
      WyeVxndzz
      ✭✭✭

They could just be a person doing what works.
      I had someone whisper me while fishing, we wound up shooting the breeze for a minute and then they moved on. Did he assume I was a bot? Should I assume he was a bot hunter? Who cares - maybe it was all IC interaction, my toon fishing and taking a break from quest and a guy between quests looking for group.
      «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
      When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
      Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
    • Rukur
      Rukur
      ✭✭
      crush83 wrote: »
      I've got to say, I was a bit shocked, and even depressed about that 20k/hr farming video. It's sad that the ability exists for such money to be made. Even more shocking is the rate at which he is getting the rare/legendary upgrade components...

That said, this shouldn't be a bannable/suspendable offense. He's operating completely 100% within the parameters of the game. He's using no third party programs or helpers.

It's simply depressing that this can be done. I don't blame him for doing it...I just wish that Zenimax would remedy the issue in a sensible way. Handing out bans for playing the game is never a good idea.

Well said
    • WyeVxndzz
      WyeVxndzz
      ✭✭✭
      T3CHN01221 wrote: »

Okay then.. Please tell me why they don't respond to anything. Even such things as "Jump up and down if you're not a bot." Numerous whispers to them and no reply. Same with trade invites. We had like 3-4 people in a dungeon and replied to none of them. So unless you're are just rude and don't reply to people. Pretty sure they're bots. Why wouldn't we worry about the integrity of the game though? Please tell me.

Maybe, like me, they think someone making random commands and demands is a jerk and don't deign to reply. Maybe they have an active guild chat and what you think are multiple and obvious whispers and tells are lost in the churn.

No one owes you a reply, in game or IRL you know.
      «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
      When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
      Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
    • T3CHN01221
      T3CHN01221
      ✭✭
      WyeVxndzz wrote: »

Maybe, like me, they think someone making random commands and demands is a jerk and don't deign to reply. Maybe they have an active guild chat and what you think are multiple and obvious whispers and tells are lost in the churn.

No one owes you a reply, in game or IRL you know.

I'm just not going to bother anymore. Will get video proof next time. Have seen them fighting the boss, then getting hit away and not move back to their "perfect spot". Not in range to attack anymore. They just stood there for around 10 minutes before tele'ing away.
    • Vilixiti
      Vilixiti
      ✭✭✭

Well I certainly won't jump when another player says to, nor will I reply to bothersome whispers and trade inviting me unsolicited is the fastest way on to my ignore list.

Try asking them 'ni shi zhong guo ren ba?' which (if my Chinese farmer friends were accurate) should mean 'are you Chinese?' and many of them, thrilled to actually interact with somebody who speaks their language will chatter back at you in mandarin. Their jobs are actually extremely tedious and they do not enjoy what they are doing but they do it anyway for pathetic wages because they need to help support their families. They probably work longer hours than you do for much less pay.

I don't like the practice either, but it truly is the fault of people purchasing gold from them. Your fellow players. They are to blame and 100% the cause for the problem. Zenimax should and will implement methods to combat this practice but meanwhile just remember that these farmers are people too and many of them are actually very nice. Believe me, harassing them (I spent a good year or so doing exactly this in Lineage II) will only waste your time and make their jobs harder as they have quotas to meet and supervisors standing watch to answer to. I befriended a few of them and learned a lot. They work in a room with many computers all with farmers behind them. They have a strict supervisor overseeing them. I'm not sure I'd call it a sweatshop as they seem to have a choice whether or not they work there, but it's not far from it.

If it's an unattended bot, well, there's really nothin' but your suspicion to name them as such. Some players just don't want to be bothered by you asking dumb questions.. *shrug*

Also I giggle at you people suggesting making them PvPable. Those farmers will **** you up. Think of a sweatshop like condition in which 20 farmers are all doing their thing when suddenly one has a problem meeting their quota because of you. Now you have 20 farmers all working together to extinguish the threat. They are mafia-like, WAY more coordinated than you, FAR better geared and outnumber you every time. They have seperate legitimate accounts that are max leveled and decked out in the best gear gold can buy (they have no shortage) and will log these in to protect their farmers. Those accounts are never in jeopardy of being banned even though they are obviously farmer accounts. You will NEVER win should the day come where you can attack them, thinking to police the problem yourselves. Anyone from Lineage II can tell you that for a certainty. Oh and by the way they hold zero reservations about cheating. Exploiting. Abusing game mechanics. Anything they can do to win.

Thank your lucky stars they aren't PvPable.