The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Yet another Templar nerf.

Theist_VII
Theist_VII
✭✭✭✭✭
jv0v25q7hhnh.jpeg
Thanks for specifically referencing Puncturing Strikes, I would hate for there to be any confusion.
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally pew pew snipe does equal to or more damage - especially with vateshran bow.

I just don't *** understand the hatred ZoS have with jabs.

It's ok tho, arcanist can have a 100% cleave aoe 22m range beam that also procs azureblight and can hit enemies behind you because why the hell not?

Not surprise me if in the future we see a patch note saying: "Deadly strikes no longer boosts damage if it's direct damage". ZoS truly is on a crusade to make the skill unusable.

Edited by Blackbird_V on October 7, 2024 5:37PM
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me over here running 8.4k spell damage and merciless charge back bar on my stamplar to desperately try to still make jabs work in pvp
    As you'd expect the damage was still lower than old jabs by a significant margin. Guess I'll just have to use wrecking blow?
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • ArctosCethlenn
    ArctosCethlenn
    ✭✭✭
    At this point it feels like they're actively upset that the templar community doesn't like the new taunt, and punishing the class for complaining about it.
  • Calffrey
    Calffrey
    ✭✭✭
    The Templar class charge now has a taunt, can’t really use that in a group if not tanking. So, I’ll switch to the maelstrom 2h, for the direct damage buff I guess … which is now nerfed. Ok.
  • Renato90085
    Renato90085
    ✭✭✭
    It nerf flurry or buff other spam be close flurry?
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calffrey wrote: »
    The Templar class charge now has a taunt, can’t really use that in a group if not tanking. So, I’ll switch to the maelstrom 2h, for the direct damage buff I guess … which is now nerfed. Ok.

Funny how it goes down like that.

People pushed back about the Azureblight changes and because they had to walk it back, they made sure that PvE players still felt some sort of discomfort.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theist_VII wrote: »
    jv0v25q7hhnh.jpeg
    Thanks for specifically referencing Puncturing Strikes, I would hate for there to be any confusion.

They are on a 'crusade' (get it, crusade... Templar; bleh) to casually annihilate as many sets as possible. Too many MMOs on the Horizon mixed w/ lackluster (and honestly crippling; referring to BGs changes) PvP changes for them to be adding this to the mix imo.

All I see is more lost flavor. :)
    Edited by Wuuffyy on October 7, 2024 6:05PM
    Wuuffyy,
    WW/berserker playstyle advocate (I play ALL classes proficiently in PvP outside of WW as well)
    ESO player since 2014 (Xbox and PC for PTS)
    -DM for questions
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wuuffyy wrote: »
    jv0v25q7hhnh.jpeg

They are on a 'crusade' (get it, crusade... Templar; bleh) to casual annihilate as many sets as possible. Too many MMOs on the Horizon mixed w/ lackluster (and honestly crippling) PvP changes for them to be adding this to the mix imo.

So it was nerfed because they wanted it to be more used for 2hr abilities saying "[...] rather than the more bursty nature that the Two-Handed line offers.".... So what do they do? Nerf it anyway and give nothing in return, especially to 2hr skills to make up for a loss of damage that just happened. Either I am misunderstanding ZoS' reasoning, or this change just makes no sense whatsoever.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jv0v25q7hhnh.jpeg

They are on a 'crusade' (get it, crusade... Templar; bleh) to casual annihilate as many sets as possible. Too many MMOs on the Horizon mixed w/ lackluster (and honestly crippling) PvP changes for them to be adding this to the mix imo.

So it was nerfed because they wanted it to be more used for 2hr abilities saying "[...] rather than the more bursty nature that the Two-Handed line offers.".... So what do they do? Nerf it anyway and give nothing in return, especially to 2hr skills to make up for a loss of damage that just happened. Either I am misunderstanding ZoS' reasoning, or this change just makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm simply confused on what exactly was so problematic on this interaction that it needed unjustified, immediate attention on .3 of a PTS patch session to be handled...

Where was this being exploited? Why was this considered so incredibly problematic? Who asked for another boring, flat damage increase over thematic/unique damage interactions? This one doesn't even affect dots; I just don't understand..
    Wuuffyy,
    WW/berserker playstyle advocate (I play ALL classes proficiently in PvP outside of WW as well)
    ESO player since 2014 (Xbox and PC for PTS)
    -DM for questions
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jv0v25q7hhnh.jpeg

I'm simply confused on what exactly was so problematic on this interaction that it needed unjustified, immediate attention on .3 of a PTS patch session to be handled...

Oh that's simple... Because Templars use it to make jabs hit harder than soggy spaghetti

/s........ or is?
  • i11ionward
    i11ionward
    ✭✭✭✭
    September 2024 was the lowest month for ESO 24-hour peak online in the last 6 years according to steamdb statistics. But Combat Abilities and Item Sets teams keep making unpopular changes instead of making fun and what people are asking for. If ever (I hope it doesn't happen) ESO shuts down, I can predict that it will be the fault of item set and skill balancing teams.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol Literally nerf abilities that are not getting used or at least not considered very good, because it doesn't fit the theme of the weapon... unreal

Better go scribe that soul wield like everyone else and spam from range.
  • BananaBender
    BananaBender
    ✭✭✭
    jv0v25q7hhnh.jpeg

Where was this being exploited? Why was this considered so incredibly problematic? Who asked for another boring, flat damage increase over thematic/unique damage interactions? This one doesn't even affect dots; I just don't understand..

It was used by pretty much every stamina spec (apart from Stamina Templar and Arcanist) on single target fights. Pretty much all classes and builds boiled down to using Maelstrom 2h and Rapid Strikes. This is a buff to most builds, especially with a few hard hitting skills instead of multiple small ones, like Necro, NB, likely Warden and Sorc (will have to see how much it hurts chilled damage).

So pretty much anything that isn't a multihit skill will be benefitting more from this. Templar was already better off using Master's bow than Maelstrom 2h, so not much of a loss there.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused as to how this is a nerf?

Live version increasing your damage done with direct damage attacks by 93, up to a maximum of 560. This effect scales off the higher of your Weapon and Spell Damage.
    Max reached at 6021 w/s dmg.

New version: increasing your damage done with direct damage attacks by up to 12%. This effect scales off the higher of your Weapon and Spell Damage.
    Max reached at 6666 w/s dmg.

12% of 6666 is 800?
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused as to how this is a nerf?

Live version increasing your damage done with direct damage attacks by 93, up to a maximum of 560. This effect scales off the higher of your Weapon and Spell Damage.
    Max reached at 6021 w/s dmg.

New version: increasing your damage done with direct damage attacks by up to 12%. This effect scales off the higher of your Weapon and Spell Damage.
    Max reached at 6666 w/s dmg.

12% of 6666 is 800?

It's not giving you 800 damage. It's just a 12% boost at max.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jv0v25q7hhnh.jpeg

Some duelists made a nerf thread about it and... it got nerfed.
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting approach, to put it mildly.
    we already have tons of obsolete sets, which do not have even a reasonable niche use.
    and a few dozens of good sets, which is 10x+ less than the number of bad sets.

instead of boosting bad sets to make them useable again, and, therefore, increase players' choices variety
    our respected Developers prefer quite the opposite - nerfing the good sets, which are already few.
    interesting. fetching interesting (thanks, Mirri). B)
    PC EU
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, damn. Flat damage buffs are interesting to build around.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally pew pew snipe does equal to or more damage - especially with vateshran bow.

It's ok tho, arcanist can have a 100% cleave aoe 22m range beam that also procs azureblight and can hit enemies behind you because why the hell not?

Not surprise me if in the future we see a patch note saying: "Deadly strikes no longer boosts damage if it's direct damage". ZoS truly is on a crusade to make the skill unusable.

deadly already technically doesnt boost direct dmg lol

it only works on jabs because its a channeled skill

havent actually used deadly on my templar in awhile because i get better dmg from other things
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭

deadly already technically doesnt boost direct dmg lol

it only works on jabs because its a channeled skill

havent actually used deadly on my templar in awhile because i get better dmg from other things

Yeah am aware, but it'd not surprise me if it was a patch note specifically to nerf jabs.

I actually prefer Aegis caller on my templar (if boss is stationary) to deadly, because spin to win is funny and actually pretty strong.

Edited by Blackbird_V on October 7, 2024 10:48PM
  • TheBardAtTheInn
    TheBardAtTheInn
    ✭✭✭

The problem was that they saw there were still, idk, half a dozen serious templar players who hadn't given up hope and swapped classes, and needed to rectify it in some way.
    TheBardAtTheInn | PC/NA | CP 2600+ | For King and Covenant!
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised they admitted to nerfing it because it was good with jabs in PVP. But they'll ignore broken builds on other classes that put out twice, maybe triple as much damage than a maelstrom templar in PVP.

????
    Edited by Udrath on October 7, 2024 7:28PM
  • Trinotops
    Trinotops
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh cool another niche set nerfed for a completely asinine reason. Merciless Charge sees barely any use in PvP outside of bash builds and maybe Templars, and even then it's not really in the "100% mandatory" level of strong range.
    The whole "It's bad on certain builds and good on others" reasoning for the nerf makes no sense. That's what makes sets interesting and stand out amongst the hundreds of useless ones. Having a set be good on one build and not another fosters theory crafting and increases build variety.
    Also, the "It doesn't fit the theme of Two-Handed" is strange as well. Vateshran 2h already fills the burst role, and not all of the ability weapons need to fit the same theme. Isn't more interesting for a set to allow you to shift the focus of the weapon from burst to pressure? Why did Vateshran bow not get the same treatment?
    But whatever, god forbid we have more than like 20 viable sets in the game I guess.
    Edited by Trinotops on October 7, 2024 7:42PM
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changing this set is part of the annual content plan.
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Udrath wrote: »
    Surprised they admitted to nerfing it because it was good with jabs in PVP. But they'll ignore broken builds on other classes that put out twice, maybe triple as much damage than a maelstrom templar in PVP.

????

Yup, let’s inadvertently nerf jabs again though.
  • Estin
    Estin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this nerf would help fix the lag because it was secretly putting too much strain on the servers
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Estin wrote: »
    Maybe this nerf would help fix the lag because it was secretly putting too much strain on the servers

Oh it will improve the server performance!

There will be less Templars and Sorcerers on the game now, as they are nowhere near competitive in all forms of end-game content with that change.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

We need to stop parroting this idealogy from ZOS, it's just an excuse to delete anything and everything interesting from the game. They used that excuse for years and nothing changed the countless times they tried, only for the 1 big change in performance to come from something we requested the entire time, new servers.

Oh it ticks too many times, add a cooldown, change it to a % multiplier, or make it completely unusable. Borrrrrrrrrring.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on October 7, 2024 9:03PM
    PC Beta - 2200+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We need to stop parroting this idealogy from ZOS, it's just an excuse to delete anything and everything interesting from the game. They used that excuse for years and nothing changed the countless times they tried, only for the 1 big change in performance to come from something we requested the entire time, new servers.

Oh it ticks too many times, add a cooldown, change it to a % multiplier, or make it completely unusable. Borrrrrrrrrring.

Not to mention that they've also used that excuse to remove percentage modifiers from time-to-time.
  • Estin
    Estin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I know. I was just being sarcastic because it's such a random nerf lol.