The connection issues for the North American PC/Mac megaserver have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Rapport sources for Tanlorin and Zerith-var (feel free to contribute)

• MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh thanks for making this! I really want to unlock both of their furnishings.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +10 Acquire the Werewolf Skill Line <---- Needs to be double checked because I doubt this is true

There's no way for companions to follow you into the hunting grounds, and I tested it myself on the pts, transforming in front of him triggers no dialogue or rapport change.

Buying a crown store bite does nothing either.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    The negative rapport on both just ensures that I will never use them beyond just unlocking.

I like the unique story on both and I like the way the Khajiit uses Necromancy, that's very different but yeah... pass. A Necromancer who hates Necromancers and the other companion hates Mages Guild... which you have to enter to raise their MG skill line... bad decisions for negative rapport.

How does Zerith respond to the Scribing skills in Soul Magic if you choose the spells that add Oblivion damage and consume a soul gem?

i try Scribing skills in Soul Magic add Oblivion damage nothing happen

Oh cool, that's good.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something that isn’t triggering a reaction I feel should…Zerith isn’t even commenting when I get on my dro-m’Athra mount. Feels like an oversight.
    Edited by WhiteCoatSyndrome on September 24, 2024 9:26PM
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • NDReptiles
    NDReptiles
    ✭✭✭
    Out of my 40 characters, I don't have negative rapport with any companions. However, learning what these two dislike has me tempted to get as far into the negative rapport as I can. I'll pair Zerith with my "evil" character and make that character a vampire. Then I'll put Tanlorin with a mage and make them live in a mages guild and do the psijic questline.

But seriously, why ZOS? Why create two "companions" that already have some people upset (crown store, nice necromancer, non-binary) and then make them undesirable to the remaining people who are willing to give them a chance. If I have to try and remember to put Tanlorin away everytime I stumble across a mage book then I'll probably not use them at all. Where's the fun in that?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NDReptiles wrote: »
    Out of my 40 characters, I don't have negative rapport with any companions. However, learning what these two dislike has me tempted to get as far into the negative rapport as I can. I'll pair Zerith with my "evil" character and make that character a vampire. Then I'll put Tanlorin with a mage and make them live in a mages guild and do the psijic questline.

But seriously, why ZOS? Why create two "companions" that already have some people upset (crown store, nice necromancer, non-binary) and then make them undesirable to the remaining people who are willing to give them a chance. If I have to try and remember to put Tanlorin away everytime I stumble across a mage book then I'll probably not use them at all. Where's the fun in that?

why would you even bother putting them away for a -1 rapport, on something theres a very limited number to collect?

the only part about negative rapport that actually seems to annoy people is the companion commenting when it happens

due to the high values of all the +rapport, its actually quite challenging to get very low negative rapport, and my understanding at very low negative rapport, they will just randomly unsummon themselves and basically go on a short cooldown before you can resummon them, so theres no real benefit to going negative outside of the lulz
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    Zerith-var:
    • +125 Complete a Nortern Elsweyr Defence Force Daily Quest (Elsweyr Prologue in Grahtwood)
    • +10 Complete a Tales of Tribute match (doesn't matter if you win or lose)
    • +10 Consume a Purifying Bloody Mara
    • +10 Heal yourself while in a critical state (red edges on the screen)
    • +10 Acquire the Werewolf Skill Line (triggered for me with the PTS-exclusive Werewolf Maxer item, could possibly trigger by leveling up any skill line)
    • +5 Visit the Baandari Trading Post in Malabal Tor
    • +5 Harvest from a Water node
    • +5 Loot a Heavy Sack
    • +1 Kill a Vampire
    • +1 Kill a Skeleton
    • +? Destroy a Dark Anchor
    • -1 Fill a Soul Gem with Soul Trap and its morphs or with the Oblivion's Edge set (Soul Lock passive will not affect his Rapport)
    • -1 Murder civilians
    • -1 Use the Blade of Woe on civilians
    • -5 Sell or Launder stolen items
    • -5 Get a bounty from using Necromancer 's Criminal Act skills
    • -5 Consume a Corrupting Bloody Mara

Kill a Skeleton seems to have a five minute cooldown, Water Node seems to be an hour. I wasn’t getting any Rapport boosts from the Purifying Bloody Mara in the same time frame so tentatively once per day for that one.

Also no Rapport boosts from the delve quests in Northern or Southern Elsweyr or the Dragonguard delve quests. 😟
    Edited by WhiteCoatSyndrome on September 26, 2024 1:37AM
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Cloudtrader
    Cloudtrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone found another +125 source for Zerith-var, please?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fact that Tanlorin loses rapport for reading a mages guild lorebook, but gains it from obtaining a mages guild script, is so contradictory that it makes absolutely no sense. Just...why.

Because (they) are a hashtag rebel.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on September 29, 2024 4:23PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NDReptiles wrote: »

Considering that people identifying as nonbinary are sometimes accused of being uneducated or afraid of facts ("having slept through biology lessons", "should read a biology book for once") the choice to make this character hate books is especially unfortunate. Just saying.

To portray a minority in a good light and reduce prejudices it's usually more helpful to show that these people aren't much different than the majority and just as human, have the same hobbies, etc. Of course there are all kinds of people who dislike books, but it's something that's not exactly helpful if ewoking sympathy and understanding is one's goal.

Edited by Syldras on September 30, 2024 10:17PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about Tanlorin for me specifically is that I was hoping for a mage-oriented altmer companion. When Tanlorin was revealed they seemed to be not a mage so I was like Alright, I'll just headcanon them myself, which I already do with the companions to an extent.

I'm not really bothered by rapport loss mechanically but it's kind of funny to headcanon them as a mage meanwhile they'll have negative comments whenever some assorted magey things come up lol.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaushad wrote: »
    So which other dailies does Zerith like? I tried a Northern Elsweyr delve quest and he wasn't fussed. I'm guessing that he likes dragon hunts, but that's rather difficult on PTS.
    Has anyone found another +125 source for Zerith-var, please?

Another +125 Rapport boost for Zerith-var comes from the Tales of Tribute Daily Quests. Even if you defeat only one opponent before turning the quests in, you still get +125 Rapport.
    kaushad wrote: »
    He also expresses an interest in the Infinite Archive, but I haven't tried taking him there, let alone questing there. Imagine if it were the marauder daily!

Cycle Bosses give +1, Tho'at +5 Rapport. There doesn't seem to be big boosts from the IA dailies though.
    Edited by Maitsukas on October 2, 2024 9:07PM
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The thing about Tanlorin for me specifically is that I was hoping for a mage-oriented altmer companion. When Tanlorin was revealed they seemed to be not a mage so I was like Alright, I'll just headcanon them myself, which I already do with the companions to an extent.

I'm not really bothered by rapport loss mechanically but it's kind of funny to headcanon them as a mage meanwhile they'll have negative comments whenever some assorted magey things come up lol.

Same here. Depending on the comments Tanlorin makes, maybe we can headcanon them as a brilliant intuitive mage that disdains other mages and magebooks.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Same here. Depending on the comments Tanlorin makes, maybe we can headcanon them as a brilliant intuitive mage that disdains other mages and magebooks.

Very believable at level 1 when dying in every boss fight. ;)
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I mean why push against the fantasy of a high elf mage or kahjiit thief? What’s next? A pacifist orc?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see they want to introduce different characters with individual likes and dislikes, and there's nothing that says an Altmer has to be a mage.

I just don't think a dislike against the player character reading books makes much sense, especially since does not affect the companion. We can argue about other dislikes, too, but if someone dislikes that a creature gets killed (can go against personal morals) or can't stand the strong smell of something that gets cooked (can make them nauseous), that at least does make sense somehow. While reading a book or just taking a short look into it for a moment does nothing, really.

I'm curious about the dialogue lines for this (I don't have PTS installed right now, so I can't check). What does Tanlorin actually complain about? A personal dislike for books? Complaining about having to wait (which might make a little more sense - at least if we ignore that the player character can spend months and years picking flowers without being told to hurry - , but is as annoying)?

In any way, it doesn't make a character likeable. At all.

Edited by Syldras on October 5, 2024 5:37PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • M1SHAAN
    M1SHAAN
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »

I haven't done their whole quest but this is how they were portrayed in their intro quest. They come from a family of incredible mages, and they have magical gifts as well. However, their magic was more wild / uncontrollable, so they were forced to study a lot to try to "fix" them. When that didn't work,
    their family gave them magical tattoos to suppress their magic so they were easier to control.

From what I can tell, they don't lose rapport from reading any book, just the purple Mage's guild ones, because they're reminders of painful parts of their upbringing.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean why push against the fantasy of a high elf mage or kahjiit thief? What’s next? A pacifist orc?

What's wrong with making characters different from the stereotype? I mean, we do already have a Khajiit thief — that's Ember — but she is more than just a stereotypical pickpocket.

I'd be intrigued to see how ZOS would write a pacifist Orc, since not every single Orc falls under the same violent warrior archetype. None of the Companion characters thus far have been cliché, which is great.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    Please give us Werewolf Skill Styles (for customizing our fur color), Grimoires/Scribing skills (to fill in the holes in our builds), and Companions (to transform with).
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about giving all companions a perk? Once you get their rapport maxed, they like you enough that they simply accept you as you are (disable the rapport system for them).
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M1SHAAN wrote: »
    From what I can tell, they don't lose rapport from reading any book, just the purple Mage's guild ones, because they're reminders of painful parts of their upbringing.

That makes even less sense than a complaint like "Don't read that now, we have to hurry" would make. After all, Tanlorin isn't forced to read the books. Also, the lore books that count for Shalidor's Library aren't even all related to magic. They're normal books containing lore of the region.

If a companion throws a tantrum about the player character reading "Sentinel, the Jewel of Alik'r", "A Pocket Guide to Mournhold" or the Ashlander poetry book "Words of the Wind" (which are all part of Shalidor's Library, I have checked that), it makes them look like they're not right in their head (and I don't mean that as an insult, it just looks like they have very serious issues if they have a problem with someone else reading a book; and if not mental issues, then it reads as self-centered, whiny and immature). Sorry for being that direct, but I don't think this is what ZOS wants to portray.

Edited by Syldras on October 5, 2024 11:47PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    M1SHAAN wrote: »

That makes even less sense than a complaint like "Don't read that now, we have to hurry" would make. After all, Tanlorin isn't forced to read the books. Also, the lore books that count for Shalidor's Library aren't even all related to magic. They're normal books containing lore of the region.

If a companion throws a tantrum about the player character reading "Sentinel, the Jewel of Alik'r", "A Pocket Guide to Mournhold" or the Ashlander poetry book "Words of the Wind" (which are all part of Shalidor's Library, I have checked that), it makes them look like they're not right in their head (and I don't mean that as an insult, it just looks like they have very serious issues if they have a problem with someone else reading a book; and if not mental issues, then it reads as self-centered, whiny and immature). Sorry for being that direct, but I don't think this is what ZOS wants to portray.

I feel like a lot of companions in ESO have strange toxic control issues about the players' actions lol. But I am happy to see it's finally being realized.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about giving all companions a perk? Once you get their rapport maxed, they like you enough that they simply accept you as you are (disable the rapport system for them).

I completely agree. I have often thought the same thing. We have to accept the companions as they all are, but none of them accept us as we are, eccentricities and all. Let alone, thing we have/need to do on a regular basis for the game.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of companions in ESO have strange toxic control issues about the players' actions lol. But I am happy to see it's finally being realized.

I never denied that some of the dislikes are nonsense. But still, there's a difference in how little sense they make. As I said, from a roleplaying perspective, complaining about killing a creature or stealing is a believable thing, because it might go against morals and/or the law. Not liking the taste or the smell of a thing also still makes sense somehow. But reading a book?! No one gets killed, it doesn't hurt anyone, it doesn't taste, smell or make annoying noises. Being insulted by someone reading a book, especially on a completely harmless topic like poetry or local sights, is about the most bonkers thing possible. Even a companion afraight of heights or water would make more sense, as those are more common phobias at least (not that I'd like to see that in a companion), but random books, really?

Edited by Syldras on October 6, 2024 3:26PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to Zertih-var's story and furnishing the most but:
    +125 Complete a Tales of Tribute Daily Quest
    Ew. Guess we're gonna be doing a LOT of work for the Northern Elsweyr Defence Force, then!

Btw is their daily +125 on a cooldown account-wide, or can you do that on multiple toons?

Edited by MoonPile on October 16, 2024 6:34AM
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    Ew. Guess we're gonna be doing a LOT of work for the Northern Elsweyr Defence Force, then!

Btw is their daily +125 on a cooldown account-wide, or can you do that on multiple toons?

Ew indeed.

Either way I haven't checked if that has changed in U44, but up until the current patch level rapport is per-character, not account wide, so you can do it with multiple characters if you wish to.

• MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »

Ew indeed.

Either way I haven't checked if that has changed in U44, but up until the current patch level rapport is per-character, not account wide, so you can do it with multiple characters if you wish to.

I see, thank you. So I guess doing it on multiple characters in a day wouldn't make sense to do as it wouldn't raise their overall rapport for the goal of unlocking, anyway.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rapport has been per character since companions were introduced, its actually one of the only things besides the unlock process that is per character

overall its not actually that much work to max out rapport

rapport baseline starts at 750 points, you hit the first companion quest at 1000 pts (250 pts worth, which is 2 large rapport daily quests)

the next milestone is 2000, so you need 1000 more pts to hit next rank, this amounts to 2 days of daily quests + the rapport quest (the companion quests give 500 rapport)

the next 2 milestones are also at 3000, and 4000, or 1000 between each milestone

the companions have 3 quests (one per milestone at 1000, 2000, and 3000)

so day 1 gets to first milestone and half to 2nd, 2 days gets to 2rd milestone and half to third, 2 more days is 3rd milestone and half to 4, 2 more days reaches the last milestone

so it should only take about 1 week to max rapport for a companion only doing 2 daily quests + the companion rapport quests
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭

rapport has been per character since companions were introduced, its actually one of the only things besides the unlock process that is per character

overall its not actually that much work to max out rapport

rapport baseline starts at 750 points, you hit the first companion quest at 1000 pts (250 pts worth, which is 2 large rapport daily quests)

the next milestone is 2000, so you need 1000 more pts to hit next rank, this amounts to 2 days of daily quests + the rapport quest (the companion quests give 500 rapport)

the next 2 milestones are also at 3000, and 4000, or 1000 between each milestone

the companions have 3 quests (one per milestone at 1000, 2000, and 3000)

so day 1 gets to first milestone and half to 2nd, 2 days gets to 2rd milestone and half to third, 2 more days is 3rd milestone and half to 4, 2 more days reaches the last milestone

so it should only take about 1 week to max rapport for a companion only doing 2 daily quests + the companion rapport quests

Right, I'm expecting ~2-3 weeks because I will not be doing the ToT daily no matter what. I was trying to see if I could replace it by doing more Dragonsguard dailies on other toons, but it doesn't work like that.