Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is there no "Disagree" Option for posts?

Shara_Wynn
Shara_Wynn
✭✭✭✭✭
It could be argued that there are three options that can be assigned to agreeing with a poster's comment, "insightful", "agree" and "awesome" but there is no option for a simple "disagree".

Is it possible to add one?
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not: social media sites supporting any kind of negative reactions tend to be toxic places. reddit is a prime example, where downvotes are used as a weapon.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why?

very obviously because of trolling and toxicity.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i am glad there is not a disagree reaction
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • JonesFPS
    JonesFPS
    ✭✭✭
    Well the world is a toxic place.
    i would also want a disagree button. Easier then writing a message.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But there is. Khajiit will show you how...
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "I disagree"
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    See? Not so hard, yes?
  • Ph1p
    Ph1p
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shara_Wynn wrote: »
    It could be argued that there are three options that can be assigned to agreeing with a poster's comment, "insightful", "agree" and "awesome" but there is no option for a simple "disagree".

Is it possible to add one?

If I'm in agreement, there is nothing more I need to add, so a button is enough. If I disagree, explaining the reasons why in a post makes for a more constructive discussion.
  • Tazzy
    Tazzy
    ✭✭✭
    If you disagree, you can write a comment where you explain, why you disagree. I always understood this forum as a place for discussions. Just leaving a disagree flag is - in my opinion - very impolite and and is not exactly conducive to discussions.
    This one has no regrets *Raz
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want the system to change entirely to three new categories:
    ( ) Splendid!
    ( ) Thoughtful.
    ( ) Uncultured drivel.

:p

Not happy with that? Then you can be happy if nothing changes ;)
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with the disagree option. Now, can someone please add this as an option?

You see the irony? If there was a disagree option already in place. Right now this thread could be spammed by that very option and you, dear OP may feel that it is not deserved, and that people should need to prove their case to you.

Bad idea.

You see, sometimes that old saying "be careful what you wish for, it may happen" can actually make some sense.
    Edited by Paulytnz on July 11, 2024 10:34AM
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what insightful is often used for.
    JonesFPS wrote: »
    Well the world is a toxic place.
    And God forbid we be allowed to take a break from that crap on a video game forum.
    PC EU
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a disagree option. But the playerbase had proven yet again, that as a whole they were not mature enough to use it responsibly. It was used more for trolling than anything else. There also used to be a LOL option too (and something else, can't remember).

So Zos did what any parent would do when their children become petulant and won't play nice. They took the toys away.

Edited by DenverRalphy on July 11, 2024 12:22PM
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a disagree option. But the playerbase had proven yet again, that as a whole they were not mature enough to use it responsibly. It was used more for trolling than anything else. The also used to be a LOL option too (and something else, can't remember).

So Zos did what any parent would do when their children become petulant and won't play nice. They took the toys away.
    Does this help?

44pcmyg21l0w.png
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its still there, but now its called 'Insightful'. After 'disagree' was removed, it changed to 'LOL'

So they removed LOL, and it changed to Insightful.

So far, Insightful hasnt been removed yet. But if it was, I figure it will change to Awesome.

Probably best if they just remove all those options. They have no meaning anyway. Maybe just one single option for 'Agree' would be fine, people can either click it or not.
  • Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can agree with a post without having to clutter up the thread by saying so, so why can I not disagree with a post by doing the same?

Quite often posts are put up on the forum, asking for this or for that. If I disagree with what is being asked for, then it would be much simpler for me, and others, to just click a disagree button, rather than have to clutter the thread with yet another post that simply says "I disagree" but adds nothing else to the discussion.

Also the argument that it is in some way "toxic" to disagree with someone is, well, quite frankly a sad indictment of the mind who actually believes that. Indeed, one could say that even saying that "if you disagree with me you are being toxic" is itself toxic.

Can someone give me an example of how a disagree button could be used in a toxic manner?

Are we not all adults, capable of being civil while we disagree with each other?
    There used to be a disagree option. But the playerbase had proven yet again, that as a whole they were not mature enough to use it responsibly. It was used more for trolling than anything else. The also used to be a LOL option too (and something else, can't remember).

Well then that's... that's quite sad really isn't it. :|
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I feel bad for the times I clicked on "insightful" because I really thought the posts were insightful.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can agree with a post without having to clutter up the thread by saying so, so why can I not disagree with a post by doing the same?

Quite often posts are put up on the forum, asking for this or for that. If I disagree with what is being asked for, then it would be much simpler for me, and others, to just click a disagree button, rather than have to clutter the thread with yet another post that simply says "I disagree" but adds nothing else to the discussion.

Also the argument that it is in some way "toxic" to disagree with someone is, well, quite frankly a sad indictment of the mind who actually believes that. Indeed, one could say that even saying that "if you disagree with me you are being toxic" is itself toxic.

Can someone give me an example of how a disagree button could be used in a toxic manner?

Are we not all adults, capable of being civil while we disagree with each other?

I think the difference in button vs. no button is that you can still disagree with someone but you have to post it, which identifies you for doing so, and has the opportunity for you to leave a reason. The button was anonymous.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I feel bad for the times I clicked on "insightful" because I really thought the posts were insightful.

Me too. People seriously use that to “disagree” with posts? I always give insightfuls to helpful posts I learn from.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

Me too. People seriously use that to “disagree” with posts? I always give insightfuls to helpful posts I learn from.

Honestly, I think most of the time it is used in the spirit it is intended to be used in- to upvote a genuinely insightful post. Every now and then I see it used sarcasticly, but the nature of whatever the post is usually gives that away. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't feel bad at all. I dunno why Vulsahdaal made that claim. But it's not true.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on July 11, 2024 12:41PM
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't feel bad, you knew what you meant when you left it.

I leave them all of the time and sometimes I use it as I don't agree with you but you shared a fair opinion and that in itself is "insightful", other times it is something I wasn't aware of and that too is "insightful".

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It may happen as a reaction on a thread where someone...
    - introduces their guild
    - posts their art (in the "user creations" subforum)
    - asks a question as a newbie
    - wants to discuss the writing of LGBT characters or quests
    Just a few examples I can think of.

Of course not everyone has to like everyone's art or find a specialized guild concept useful, but I don't think that has to be voiced by hitting a "disapproval" button, especially if it wasn't a thread asking for criticism. I mean, of course one could say that everyone has the right to utter their opinion, and if someone finds someone's art ugly or an idea stupid, then it's the way it is. Still, I don't think that would contribute to a positive forum atmosphere.

Edited by Syldras on July 11, 2024 12:37PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulsahdaal wrote: »
    Its still there, but now its called 'Insightful'. After 'disagree' was removed, it changed to 'LOL'

So far, Insightful hasnt been removed yet. But if it was, I figure it will change to Awesome.

Probably best if they just remove all those options. They have no meaning anyway. Maybe just one single option for 'Agree' would be fine, people can either click it or not.

I definitely don't hit insightful for a post I disagree with.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people decided that "Insightful" replaced "LOL" and some people decided that "Awesome" replaced "LOL". No one can enforce the rule either way. In the end, I am sure that people still try to do this, but it has become so diluted this is just 'head-canon' for the person using it. Today, they mean what the words mean and any ulterior meaning is usually lost immediately after the person clicks it. :smile:

As I recall, and I am not sure where I heard this, but I am fairly sure it came from someone at ZOS... "Agree" is there to help cut down on the number of two word replies: "I agree". The problem with "Disagree" was that people clicked it but didn't add anything to the conversation, which makes it pointless.

Creative people can troll with it by following someone around and clicking "Disagree" on everything they post. This would show up in the forum profile and be a significant number, if it was done enough. Maybe that is why it was removed.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to look up the meaning of the word insightful.
    But thanks for the extra points toward the badge! lol
  • Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

It may happen as a reaction on a thread where someone...
    - introduces their guild
    - posts their art (in the "user creations" subforum)
    - asks a question as a newbie
    - wants to discuss the writing of LGBT characters or quests
    Just a few examples I can think of.

Of course not everyone has to like everyone's art or find a specialized guild concept useful, but I don't think that has to be voiced by hitting a "disapproval" button, especially if it wasn't a thread asking for criticism. I mean, of course one could say that everyone has the right to utter their opinion, and if someone finds someone's art ugly or an idea stupid, then it's the way it is. Still, I don't think that would contribute to a positive forum atmosphere.

I get that English is not everyone's first language so just to clarify a few things.

Disapproval and disagreement are NOT the same things. To disapprove of something suggest that you actively dislike something. To disagree with someone is just expressing that you do not agree with their opinion.
    amig186 wrote: »
    That's what insightful is often used for.

Also "insightful" certainly doesn't mean that you disagree. The definition of insightful is...

"having or showing an accurate and deep understanding; perceptive."

So if anyone on these forums is using the "insightful" button to somehow show that they disagree with a person's opinion or their posts, then they might want to reconsider.

I am pretty sure ZOS fully understands this definition.

• Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »

I think the difference in button vs. no button is that you can still disagree with someone but you have to post it, which identifies you for doing so, and has the opportunity for you to leave a reason. The button was anonymous.

But someone can anonymously agree with a post that disagrees with the OP. Therefore disagreeing with the OP but doing so anonymously?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get that English is not everyone's first language so just to clarify a few things.
    Disapproval and disagreement are NOT the same things. To disapprove of something suggest that you actively dislike something. To disagree with someone is just expressing that you do not agree with their opinion.

I know that. But what would it mean, if someone introduces their guild, just that, and people hit "disagree"? What would it mean if someone asks the users to tell them about LGBT quests they've found in the game, and then he gets a dozen of "disagrees"? It doesn't matter if "disagree" isn't the right word, the intention is clear.
    Also "insightful" certainly doesn't mean that you disagree. The definition of insightful is...
    "having or showing an accurate and deep understanding; perceptive."
    So if anyone on these forums is using the "insightful" button to somehow show that they disagree with a person's opinion or their posts, then they might want to reconsider.

It's used sarcastically. As in "Yeah, smart stuff you've written there." = "What a useless stupid post."

And no, I'm personally not doing that, but I've seen people doing it. It was clear from context.

Edited by Syldras on July 11, 2024 1:26PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then it reflects on the maturity level of that person.
    There is no up or down voting system here, thank goodness.