Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Furnishing Plans - Drop Rate / Cooldown : Question

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    I feel like the drop rates for Necrom have been lowered recently. I used to get a purple plan fairly often when I’d go there, albeit a base game purple, or one of those purple banners, but I haven’t got any purples in months.

I'll have to do a couple of runs through Sailenmora Crypt and see what's up.

For me, there is only one known case of time gated drops: Vvardenfell motif pages (Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni). I spent hundreds of hours total on multiple (10+) characters farming those motif pages when they released, and I am sure there is a per-character timer on those drops.

I also farmed furnishing recipes and I never encountered similar limitations there.

I would be interested in seeing some videos where you're able to pull a purple furnishing plan from a container, and then pull a second purple furnishing plan from another container within the same farming run. I haven't been able to do it within the same 8 hours.

I've done this multiple times (outside of the Homemaker passive) in the Necrom Underway. Since there are no NPCs, you can loot all the urns without fear of getting a bounty, and it's by far the fastest way to level Legerdemain, as you can just enter the Outlaws Refuge, sell/launder, and then exit right back out to a fresh set of urns.

I would love to see a video of you getting (2) purple furnishing plans from (2) separate containers on the same character on the same day. I have farmed containers for more hours than I care to admit and I have never been able to do so on the same character. I'm not guessing. I know for a fact that I've never done it, and that includes farming Necrom Underway.

You seem to have your mind made up that it's not possible, so it's pointless for anyone to try and prove otherwise. If you won't take people's word who have done it on multiple occasions, then it's unlikely that you'd believe video evidence, either.

I'm simply asking for proof that it's possible. I've looted thousands of purple furnishing plans, so it's not like I don't have actual experience with drops/drop rates in ESO. I've read plenty of posts where people ask about drop rates and cool downs, and one thing that I've never seen anywhere is proof that (2) purple plans can drop from (2) separate containers on the same character on the same day.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Necrom Underway today to see how thievery containers behave (lootable containers that only drop stolen items). I was mostly just leveling Legerdemain and keeping a LootLog of drops, so there was no real system other than switching characters every so often. I found some stuff that agrees with my previous observations and a lot that contradicts them.

First, it seems like white plans have a similar mechanic in thievery containers as non-thief containers. They only start dropping after a blue or purple plan drops.

Second, I got a blue plan 57 seconds after another blue plan (Blueprint: Khajit Tent, Mercantile -> Praxis: Necrom Memorial, Large) on the same character. So for thievery containers, I have seen evidence that a hard cooldown is not present for blue plans.

Third, I saw one instance of green plans dropping within <5 minutes of each other, suggesting that for thievery containers, there is no hard cooldown for green plans as well.

Fourth, it is even more apparent in Necrom Underway that there is a drop in percent of containers that spawn full as you loot more and reset the instance. This is most likely a gradual decay based on number of containers looted in a certain amount of time up to the reset of the instance. For now, this evidence is anecdotal other than the snippet of data I posted from Reachwind Depths last week. (I plan to test this hypothesis more conclusively and might even try to make a graph.)

I also noticed some weird things with timestamps in LootLog because containers are so close together in Necrom Underway. I'm not sure if Homemaker was kicking in for certain drops or not, so in the future I am just going to unslot this passive and disable Jack-of-All-Trades. It's just an added variable I don't think I can reasonably account for given the low granularity of LootLog's timestamps.

Anyway, I'm happy to be wrong. If anyone has any data similar to the above for non-thievery containers, I'd love to see it! I'll be in Reachwind, farming plans that aren't worth much anymore in the meantime.

2eb62wkv3oe4.png
    d4hw8tw39d36.png
    g2iic2u57qtx.png
    63pf54y1o6a5.png
    Options
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sleepy_worm Might I point out that you are on different toons when each plan blue drops, aside from an instance where both plans are of separate plan types/styles.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, my conclusions are entirely based on what drops for that character. This is why I only mentioned one incident of blues dropping within a few minutes of each other.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    While I was testing the container decay, I kept LootLog going. So here is a small amount of data from Reachwind Depths (a zone with regular containers, not thievery containers).

Notice that blues drop at least an hour apart and greens drop almost exactly 10 minutes apart. This is consistent with my previous observations of non-thief containers. It is also entirely possible that Necrom itself is the variable, not thievery versus non-thief. So at some point in the future, I'll test the inn in Fargrave to see how it behaves.

d3iuxsodh489.png
    uwwpmxgoi3l6.png
    66iaa983llp2.png

Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    yi8godaq1xiu.png
    Here is my data for lootable containers per instance as I kept farming. The vertical number is lootable containers and the maximum should be 9 (I know there are technically 10 containers in Reachwind Depths living area, but the jewelry box has an incredibly small target box for looting and takes forever to actually find). The horizontal number is instance number. I didn't track time, but each instance takes about the same amount of time to run through and loot.

I also logged out and back in after this run was finished and the average number of containers per instance was 1.5 (sample size 5). I logged out and then back in 10 minutes later and the average was 3.8 (sample size 5). I logged out and back in after a total of 20 minutes from when the run was finished and the average was 6.8 (sample size 5), which is pretty close to the starting average. So this mechanic is a bit more forgiving than I thought. You only have to stop looting for about 20 minutes for everything to go back to normal.
    Edited by sleepy_worm on May 19, 2024 6:17AM
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fourth, it is even more apparent in Necrom Underway that there is a drop in percent of containers that spawn full as you loot more and reset the instance. This is most likely a gradual decay based on number of containers looted in a certain amount of time up to the reset of the instance.

Yes, I've noticed this behavior in Necrom in general, not just the Underway. The more you steal, the less containers in general are populated, and that includes urns, dressers, nightstands, and the like. And it doesn't matter how you reset it... opening instanced doors, porting to an unowned house, porting to a different zone and back, or logging out and back in... the decay timer remains, and less and less containers are populated.

I haven't done any in-depth studies to try and find out how long it takes to reset the drop rate to normal, but it's definitely a thing. I wonder if this seemingly Necrom specific mechanic is in place because of the sheer number of lootable containers.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fourth, it is even more apparent in Necrom Underway that there is a drop in percent of containers that spawn full as you loot more and reset the instance. This is most likely a gradual decay based on number of containers looted in a certain amount of time up to the reset of the instance.

Yes, I've noticed this behavior in Necrom in general, not just the Underway. The more you steal, the less containers in general are populated, and that includes urns, dressers, nightstands, and the like. And it doesn't matter how you reset it... opening instanced doors, porting to an unowned house, porting to a different zone and back, or logging out and back in... the decay timer remains, and less and less containers are populated.

I haven't done any in-depth studies to try and find out how long it takes to reset the drop rate to normal, but it's definitely a thing. I wonder if this seemingly Necrom specific mechanic is in place because of the sheer number of lootable containers.

15 mins
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
    Options
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    I got a rock

:#

Is that something Charlie Brown once said?
    PC EU
    UTC+10:00
    Tin-can-and-string internet

Ald Chimeris
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Djennku wrote: »

15 mins

Do you have to leave the zone for 15 mins? Because I've stolen for hours in the city and the containers never fully repopulate to the level they were when I first arrived. And that's even if I stay away from certain sections for an hour. The only way I can get them back to full is to switch characters. But even then, if I swap back to the previous character, there will still be fewer lootables.

Edited by Jaraal on May 19, 2024 3:16PM
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guildmate farms patterns for sale. Denies a cooldown. I've gotten back to back purples myself. Never ones that sell for a lot though.

Also, the empty container thing exists. Went through the pd in blackreach and eventually nothing had anything in it.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    I ran 3 characters in Fargrave and 3 in Galen, testing the thievery containers there. The results match the cooldown times observed in Reachwind Depths (non-thief containers) That is, 10 minutes for green plans and no second blue plan in under an hour. White plans started dropping only after a blue or purple plan did first.

Anyway, it looks like Necrom, specifically, has different behavior. As recently as Galen, thievery and non-thief containers both had the same cooldowns. There is something else going on with Necrom. (This might explain the relatively low market value of purple Necrom Banner plans?)

ryzb9jo115hr.png
    k4twjvgp6jy3.png
    o8v86qzkzdr1.png
    rz1vmbya6da4.png
    o17er78vd87q.png
    xkdyvzd38aii.png
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm simply asking for proof that it's possible. I've looted thousands of purple furnishing plans, so it's not like I don't have actual experience with drops/drop rates in ESO. I've read plenty of posts where people ask about drop rates and cool downs, and one thing that I've never seen anywhere is proof that (2) purple plans can drop from (2) separate containers on the same character on the same day.

Here is the proof you seek. Approximately 90 minutes between purple furnishing plans on the same character.

h7cluw4.jpg
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

Here is the proof you seek. Approximately 90 minutes between purple furnishing plans on the same character.

Actually a sliver under 90 minutes, which sets the upper realistic limit for the cooldown -- if it even exists -- to an hour at most.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually a sliver under 90 minutes, which sets the upper realistic limit for the cooldown -- if it even exists -- to an hour at most.

Using this logic, and my documented results, one could also say that any cooldown for blue furnishing plans would be less than or equal to 100 seconds.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭

Were you killing and looting enemies. I ask because I think Daedric plans (the two plans which dropped within the proposed cooldown) drop from enemies. I have never gotten Daedric plans when farming containers, but I get them occasionally when running certain dungeons or public dungeons with lots of Daedra mobs.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were you killing and looting enemies. I ask because I think Daedric plans (the two plans which dropped within the proposed cooldown) drop from enemies. I have never gotten Daedric plans when farming containers, but I get them occasionally when running certain dungeons or public dungeons with lots of Daedra mobs.

Container looting only, no killing other than the Mirrormoor incursion.

Wouldn't matter either way, if there were a cooldown on furnishing plans. Some people are convinced that there is a hard cap of one purple (or 2 if Homemaker procs) per character per day. I can say from personal experience that that is not the case.

Edited by Jaraal on June 11, 2024 10:26AM
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

Using this logic, and my documented results, one could also say that any cooldown for blue furnishing plans would be less than or equal to 100 seconds.

Yet the myth lives on.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Finally managed to reproduce it! This is with Homemaker on, but the two purples were from separate containers.

pajljv6j2z0x.png
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Finally managed to reproduce it! This is with Homemaker on, but the two purples were from separate containers.

pajljv6j2z0x.png

It's also nice that in that one set of results you also dispel any thought that purple recipes/motifs affect purple furnishing plan drops in any way at all! <3
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

h7cluw4.jpg

This is exactly what I've been requesting. There are so many posts regarding loot drops/cool-downs and since ZoS is not exactly forthcoming to clear things up, it's up to the community to do so. I absolutely appreciate you for taking the time to document and share that there is indeed not a cool-down, which makes me much more likely to keep farming than to just mindlessly root through containers not knowing if it's even possible to get what I'm looking for.

Also, RNGeesus could have at least graced you with at least one decent plan!
    Edited by CGPsaint on June 16, 2024 12:01AM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    Options
  • Adaarye
    Adaarye
    ✭✭✭
    Go to West Weald. Find a place where you can loot containers, leave, come back, loot containers, leave and so on.

Once you start getting white plans, switch to another character. Rinse and repeat.

You can keep going but all that will drop will be white and green.

I don't need anyone to tell me if it's so or not, lol. I've "lived it" :)
    Options