Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 18:00 UTC (14:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Furnishing Plans - Drop Rate / Cooldown : Question

• MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It relies on RNG, and CP passive slotted,since you get better chance at finding higher quality items.I almost never get white plans,but I'll also see 3 or 4 containers in a row with green or blue in em.It also depends on where and when you farm containers,sine at peak hours more ppl getting the items,so lower chance of finding them.Also if you don't continually loot,probably find less,or jsut lower quality.

Containers are supposed to be instanced so at first glance it should not matter when you farm or how many players are on. I have heard others say that they find better items in off peak times and I have had some experience with that. It’s hard to do with me being a few hours off east coast time, though.

Honestly sounds like another tall tale for quite a few reasons, mainly because any such algorithm would make significantly more complicated code and also significantly increase processing and db requirements.
    Edit: And would apply only to plans farming, not any other part of the game, in particular, no other loot.

To do that, instead of a bunch of simple loot tables, they will need to implement a bunch of skewed probability loot tables; loot tracking across ALL players; rebounding loot value total (two ways I can think off the hat are: keeping a FIFO buffer, which would have to be at least for a few thousands if not tens of thousands items; or keeping a sum total that simply decreases over time, but for that to have effect on purples and blues, they need to be valued not by their vendor prices but more like 10^rarity_factor -- and those are *simplest* ways to implement it); and finally, that tally affecting drop probabilities.

Consider that ZoS is trying as they might to *lighten* the server load lately with the player base exploding, and the above sounds about as realistic as some aliens personally deciding what to give to each player :)

Also, out of curiosity, what are actual peak/off-peak times on NA? (This I am curious more in regards to farming less instanced stuff.)
    Edited by MreeBiPolar on May 11, 2024 10:24AM
    Options
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's pure rng without cooldowns. I had situations when I have got one purple plan and 5 minutes later another one. Purples are just very rare, so it may look like some cooldown but it isn't. One thing I can believe is soft cooldown, which means LESSER chance for next big drop for some time, but it's pure speculation and without official statement from ZOS we can only guess. There is not hard cooldown however, because it happens that players have two purples in short time - it's just extremaly rare, but possible.

btw my grandfather when lived, thought he have "system" for lottery numbers, no one was able to convice him that yesterdays draw don't affects chance for any of numbers next day. He just wrote down numbers every days and create patterns in his head. I think that's similiar thing with furniture farming - some players just want to see some patterns so they see them...
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that there is one single PC NA "peak" time. Too many time zones. Probably evenings and weekends would be closest, kind of on a rolling wave east to west....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would say 4pm to 10 pm ET. At least before COVID. People getting out of school, off from work and eager to hop on and play. I think statistics say that many have still not gone back to the office and work from home, so it could vary.

As for limiting furnishing drops for players in a zone, I don’t think it would be any different than the top 12 or whatever dps players getting a drop from a boss.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't pretend to know the exact implementation and ZoS clearly isn't going to enlighten us, however I can tell you with 100% certainty that I've NEVER pulled 2 purple furnishing plans on the same character on the same day, and I've farmed thousands of purple plans. I have had days where I was able to pull a purple plan on all 20 characters in the same day though.

That being said, THIS GUY pulled 2 purple Ayleid plans in a row, so it really is anybody's guess...
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that I've NEVER pulled 2 purple furnishing plans on the same character on the same day, and I've farmed thousands of purple plans.

You should try slotting the Homemaker CP in the green tree. I've pulled two purple furnishing plans from the same container at the same time many times.

Edited by Jaraal on May 11, 2024 11:18PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    I did some testing in Reachwind Depths that I still need to test against. But I wanted to make a separate post about something a little more tenuous.

I am not certain of this particular mechanic, but it SEEMED like I was getting fewer lootable containers each time I reset the instance of Reachwind (by going into the Blinds through the elevator). By the end of my 2 hours, it seemed like an average of 1-2 lootable containers spawned each reset compared to the 4-5 I was averaging at the start of my farm run. (Note: The bedroom area of Reachwind has 9 lootable containers and an elevator that resets the instance.)

I did not track this specifically, but it is reflected in loot log in the time between looted items.

0i0x4zmlknjj.png
    This was the end of my run. You can see the time between items is anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds. The room did spawn with zero lootable containers a few times, which could very well explain 20 seconds of nothing.

44cqolgv1dca.png
    This was the beginning of my run. The times here are much smaller, often 1-2 seconds between items.

I decided to port over to Blackreach and check out Nchuthnkarst after I was done testing in Reachwind Depths. While it did feel like there were fewer lootable urns than normal, they were still there. So I did not experience the "only empty containers spawn" phenomenon at any point in my testing. (I think other people have mentioned seeing this happen? I have not seen it, yet.) There were lootable containers, but consistently far fewer than at the start of my run.

Anyway, this feels like a bit more contentious of an assertion than any examination of white furniture plans, so I thought it deserved its own post. I would love to see any data on your experiences with the number of lootable containers spawning. (This made the second hour of my run feel a lot worse than the first, by the way. If this is an actual anti-farming mechanic, it's a bit of a drag.)
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so here are the results from Reachwind Depths. Thank you, @MreeBiPolar for the search string suggestion.

2i2da1pdy9h4.png
    4yhz3yawyo6t.png
    2oari5hvgage.png
    1lag9gzlqpvf.png
    This was all on one character over the course of 2 hours. I did get multiple blue plans, but only three. I got pretty lucky and got the purple plan early on. I also got 20 white furnishing plans. The blue plans were about an hour apart.

6vzrez1jjwl2.png
    2y5r7xzy3sxk.png
    This was on several characters and my rule (again) was to switch characters if I got a blue or purple plan. I only got blues. However, I got 7 blue plans (not counting the duplicate from Homemaker) and zero white plans. And this was over the course of about 18 minutes, not 2 hours.

I stand by my assertion that an anti-farming mechanic is in place on a character basis, at least for my account.

I'm going to go into speculation territory now. I am not as confident about this part, but I suspect there is some truth to it. I think the game rolls for rarity first (between green, blue, and purple). Then, if it is a blue or purple plan, the game checks if you are on the timer for that specific rarity. If you are still on the timer, the game substitutes a white furnishing plan instead of the rolled rarity. Then, the game rolls for Homemaker if you have it slotted.

The timer for blue plans seems like it's 1 hour. I'm going to assume the timer for purple plans is separate and longer, but those are a lot harder to test.

This is for furnishing plans that come from containers (desks, urns, lockers, drawers), not coffer rewards or pickpocketing or harrowstorm document pouches or any of the other sources of furnishing plans. I suppose I can only say with confidence that this is my account only, but it sounds like at least one other person has seen this behavior before.
    Edited by sleepy_worm on May 12, 2024 4:23AM
    Options
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that I've NEVER pulled 2 purple furnishing plans on the same character on the same day, and I've farmed thousands of purple plans.

You should try slotting the Homemaker CP in the green tree. I've pulled two purple furnishing plans from the same container at the same time many times.

I'm familiar with the Homemaker perk and have pulled 2 purple plans from the perk quite a few times. I'm specifically saying that I've never pulled 2 purple plans (outside of the Homemaker perk) on the same character on the same day. There is an area in Necrom up near the docks that you can reset the containers by walking out the door and can thus farm until your heart's content. I farmed there for almost 8 hours straight and never pulled a second purple plan. Switched characters and got a purple shortly thereafter. There has to be some sort of anti-farming mechanic or cool down, but without ZoS confirming or denying, we can only speculate.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm familiar with the Homemaker perk and have pulled 2 purple plans from the perk quite a few times. I'm specifically saying that I've never pulled 2 purple plans (outside of the Homemaker perk) on the same character on the same day. There is an area in Necrom up near the docks that you can reset the containers by walking out the door and can thus farm until your heart's content. I farmed there for almost 8 hours straight and never pulled a second purple plan. Switched characters and got a purple shortly thereafter. There has to be some sort of anti-farming mechanic or cool down, but without ZoS confirming or denying, we can only speculate.

I feel like the drop rates for Necrom have been lowered recently. I used to get a purple plan fairly often when I’d go there, albeit a base game purple, or one of those purple banners, but I haven’t got any purples in months.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooldowns from looted plans are as iirc, 10 mins for green, 1 hour blues, purples are random.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Djennku wrote: »
    Cooldowns from looted plans are as iirc, 10 mins for green, 1 hour blues, purples are random.

Definitely not. From my logs, IF there are cooldowns, they do not exceed 2 minutes for at least greens and blues, because I've been getting then under 3 minutes, both green after green and blue after blue.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Djennku wrote: »

This matches my data, but I'd hate to say that purples are random. I feel like they're just too difficult to test. That said, I might get around to seeing if I can establish a lower bound one of these days.
    Options
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a thing or another urban legend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbhELUJ0_Q

TLDR : Once a furnishing plan drops, your char goes on a 30 minute cooldown timer before another one can drop for that character you're playing.

Is this fact?

For me, there is only one known case of time gated drops: Vvardenfell motif pages (Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni). I spent hundreds of hours total on multiple (10+) characters farming those motif pages when they released, and I am sure there is a per-character timer on those drops.

I also farmed furnishing recipes and I never encountered similar limitations there.
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on May 13, 2024 4:12PM
    Options
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like the drop rates for Necrom have been lowered recently. I used to get a purple plan fairly often when I’d go there, albeit a base game purple, or one of those purple banners, but I haven’t got any purples in months.

I'll have to do a couple of runs through Sailenmora Crypt and see what's up.

For me, there is only one known case of time gated drops: Vvardenfell motif pages (Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni). I spent hundreds of hours total on multiple (10+) characters farming those motif pages when they released, and I am sure there is a per-character timer on those drops.

I also farmed furnishing recipes and I never encountered similar limitations there.

I would be interested in seeing some videos where you're able to pull a purple furnishing plan from a container, and then pull a second purple furnishing plan from another container within the same farming run. I haven't been able to do it within the same 8 hours.
    Options
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be interested in seeing some videos where you're able to pull a purple furnishing plan from a container, and then pull a second purple furnishing plan from another container within the same farming run. I haven't been able to do it within the same 8 hours.

What I wanted to say is that there is at least one precedent with timed drops. Whether there are any other such implementations, I don't know

I should be more clear: I wasn't able to notice any similar limitations. Which means that I just don't have enough evidence to say if there are any such limitations.

With Vvardenfell motifs it's easy to tell, because I used to set a timer and the motif page dropped every time exactly after a certain time (for a character, or to be more precise per world instance I guess). But switching characters would let me get 1 page per 3-4 minutes.

Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done this multiple times (outside of the Homemaker passive) in the Necrom Underway. Since there are no NPCs, you can loot all the urns without fear of getting a bounty, and it's by far the fastest way to level Legerdemain, as you can just enter the Outlaws Refuge, sell/launder, and then exit right back out to a fresh set of urns.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a thing or another urban legend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbhELUJ0_Q

TLDR : Once a furnishing plan drops, your char goes on a 30 minute cooldown timer before another one can drop for that character you're playing.

Is this fact?

There's NO timer on Vvardenfell great house pages drops, per-character or otherwise, at least, no timer exceeding negligible amount of time.

Proof:

4dz8xepr6uob.png
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

What I wanted to say is that there is at least one precedent with timed drops. Whether there are any other such implementations, I don't know

I should be more clear: I wasn't able to notice any similar limitations. Which means that I just don't have enough evidence to say if there are any such limitations.

With Vvardenfell motifs it's easy to tell, because I used to set a timer and the motif page dropped every time exactly after a certain time (for a character, or to be more precise per world instance I guess). But switching characters would let me get 1 page per 3-4 minutes.

See above.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now as for timers which DO exist, the only one I am aware of, it is the public dungeon fragments drops.

The first time in a day (I assume, after the reset, not 24h since the last one) you get a drop of a "gather 50" fragment, it is doubled. Also, the first drop in a day has a MUCH higher probability both for 50-pc and 25/25-pc drops (those do NOT double though). You are essentially guaranteed to get the first drop within first 3 minutes if you're actively farming mobs, whereas any subsequent drops in the same PD take tens of minutes on average.

This does not seem to apply to "gather 7 different" (e.g., Big-Eared Ginger Kitten) or "gather 10" (Grisly Mummy Tabby) fragments.
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

the first public dungeon fragment you get a day is usually doubled yea, but nothing is guaranteed.
    Like i have not always gotten double fragments the first time of the day in dungeons with 50 fragments and it can take an hour, 3 minutes, 3 hours, or whatever.

there are no cooldowns or timers. it is just rare or rarer to get some things.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've done this multiple times (outside of the Homemaker passive) in the Necrom Underway. Since there are no NPCs, you can loot all the urns without fear of getting a bounty, and it's by far the fastest way to level Legerdemain, as you can just enter the Outlaws Refuge, sell/launder, and then exit right back out to a fresh set of urns.

I would love to see a video of you getting (2) purple furnishing plans from (2) separate containers on the same character on the same day. I have farmed containers for more hours than I care to admit and I have never been able to do so on the same character. I'm not guessing. I know for a fact that I've never done it, and that includes farming Necrom Underway.

Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    the first public dungeon fragment you get a day is usually doubled yea, but nothing is guaranteed.
    Like i have not always gotten double fragments the first time of the day in dungeons with 50 fragments and it can take an hour, 3 minutes, 3 hours, or whatever.

there are no cooldowns or timers. it is just rare or rarer to get some things.
    Update 9.0.5:
    Greatly increased the drop chance for collectible fragments found in public dungeons if it is your first fragment acquisition in that dungeon of the day.
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7883825/#Comment_7883825
    Update 9.0.5:
    Greatly increased the drop chance for collectible fragments found in public dungeons if it is your first fragment acquisition in that dungeon of the day.

that doesn't mean it'll always be double nor that it's always within a few minutes though, does it?
    i love that they increased the drop chance last year with update 38, but my previous comment is from personal experience.

i do often get double fragments, but not always and not always within a few minutes.

Edited by LunaFlora on May 17, 2024 5:21PM

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7883825/#Comment_7883825
    Update 9.0.5:

that doesn't mean it'll always be double nor that it's always within a few minutes though, does it?
    i love that they increased the drop chance last year with update 38, but my previous comment is from personal experience.

i do often get double fragments, but not always and not always within a few minutes.

Never said "always", just that this is the only actual example of a timer I am aware of. In my personal experience though, when farming fragments for collectibles, the first drop in all three 50-pc PD (Labyrinthian, Silent Halls and Zenithar Abbey) has always been doubled since way before Necrom. Not from the very beginning of the 50-pc collectibles though, and I think not from the moment Blackwood dropped, but it started at some later point.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a video of you getting (2) purple furnishing plans from (2) separate containers on the same character on the same day. I have farmed containers for more hours than I care to admit and I have never been able to do so on the same character. I'm not guessing. I know for a fact that I've never done it, and that includes farming Necrom Underway.

You seem to have your mind made up that it's not possible, so it's pointless for anyone to try and prove otherwise. If you won't take people's word who have done it on multiple occasions, then it's unlikely that you'd believe video evidence, either.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

You seem to have your mind made up that it's not possible, so it's pointless for anyone to try and prove otherwise. If you won't take people's word who have done it on multiple occasions, then it's unlikely that you'd believe video evidence, either.

Not to mention that the bar for the evidence is seemingly intentionally set to nigh impossible -- recording ALL the time you play 🤣
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Update 9.0.5:

Never said "always", just that this is the only actual example of a timer I am aware of. In my personal experience though, when farming fragments for collectibles, the first drop in all three 50-pc PD (Labyrinthian, Silent Halls and Zenithar Abbey) has always been doubled since way before Necrom. Not from the very beginning of the 50-pc collectibles though, and I think not from the moment Blackwood dropped, but it started at some later point.

if it isn't always then it's not an example of a cooldown or timer.

edited to add:
    before zos changed Mount Training to be every daily reset with update 37 it was every 20 hours.
    before those changes the Siege of Cyrodill merits and Arena Gladiator proofs from the pvp dailies were also every 20 hours.

those are actual timers.
    Edited by LunaFlora on May 17, 2024 7:25PM

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

Update 9.0.5:

edited to add:
    before zos changed Mount Training to be every daily reset with update 37 it was every 20 hours.
    before those changes the Siege of Cyrodill merits and Arena Gladiator proofs from the pvp dailies were also every 20 hours.

those are actual timers.

Duh. Not sure you worded what you actually meant to say, but I think I get it. Do you mean that it is not a cooldown/timer STARTING when you GET the drop? On that, I agree. They have replaced most of those with just the "first time after the reset", and this is just such an example, too.

I can't really think of any timer/cooldown starting on a drop, and I highly doubt they are implementing them anymore except maybe very short duration delve/PD boss loot drops (and even those are likely limited to an instance). Global per player cooldown on anything would be totally atrocious code/resources-wise because it'd have to be tracked for every single player, no matter if they are farming, or even online. And if it's implemented per character, as some people have suggested, it's even more bloat, over even more objects not involved in the limited activity, and moreover, effectively circumventing said limitation.
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Update 9.0.5:

edited to add:

those are actual timers.

Duh. Not sure you worded what you actually meant to say, but I think I get it. Do you mean that it is not a cooldown/timer STARTING when you GET the drop? On that, I agree. They have replaced most of those with just the "first time after the reset", and this is just such an example, too.

I can't really think of any timer/cooldown starting on a drop, and I highly doubt they are implementing them anymore except maybe very short duration delve/PD boss loot drops (and even those are likely limited to an instance). Global per player cooldown on anything would be totally atrocious code/resources-wise because it'd have to be tracked for every single player, no matter if they are farming, or even online. And if it's implemented per character, as some people have suggested, it's even more bloat, over even more objects not involved in the limited activity, and moreover, effectively circumventing said limitation.

yea i guess?

i just doubt there's any hidden timers/cooldowns for loot like people seem to believe.

i agree global per player cooldowns would be atrocious.

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options