Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Furnishing Plans - Drop Rate / Cooldown : Question

ZoeliTintanie
ZoeliTintanie
✭✭✭
Is this a thing or another urban legend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHbhELUJ0_Q

TLDR : Once a furnishing plan drops, your char goes on a 30 minute cooldown timer before another one can drop for that character you're playing.

Is this fact?
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it is speculation.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not even a speculation, it's a big fat lie.

Install Loot Log add-on and go hunting for furnishing plans, you will see. You will often enough get them back-to-back, and by that, I mean under 5 minutes, under 3 minutes, even under one minute.

Edit: The reason for Loot Log is because it provides timestamps for all the loot you get.
    Edited by MreeBiPolar on May 7, 2024 9:51PM
    Options
  • ZoeliTintanie
    ZoeliTintanie
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for clearing this up
    Options
  • BetweenMidgets
    BetweenMidgets
    ✭✭✭✭

Install Loot Log add-on and go hunting for furnishing plans, you will see. You will often enough get them back-to-back, and by that, I mean under 5 minutes, under 3 minutes, even under one minute.

Edit: The reason for Loot Log is because it provides timestamps for all the loot you get.

Loot log works on things other than gear?? I honestly had no idea.
    Options
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all speculation and anecdotal. Some will tell you that Blues have a 15 - 30 minute cooldown (depending on who you talk to), and Purples can be up to 20+ hours. The rules/criteria rarely line up with each other. Yet as some will tell you, it's just RNG. I've pulled more than one furnishing plan inside of 10 minutes, because while I am always actively looking for plans, I also farm other items from containers so keep going. And occasionally pleasantly surprised when I find another inside of the supposed window. And I'm not including the greens that drop like candy.

Granted, it's not that often (rare actually) but it does happen.

Options
  • CyberDiva
    CyberDiva
    ✭✭✭
    Do not listen to anyone claiming that there are timers on furniture recipe drops. They are wrong. There are no timers on ANY recipe drops, including purple recipes. I have personally seen these "formulas" proven wrong time and again.
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten two purples in the same container before.
    Options
  • CyberDiva
    CyberDiva
    ✭✭✭
    Me, too. :smile:
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You are taking all my RNG! I rarely get them at all!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got a rock

:#
    Options
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    I got a rock

:#

Could you smell what it was cooking?
    Options
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's 30 minutes but I lean in the direction of believing the claim that there is some kind of cooldown and it is character rather than account level.

I've recently levelled legerdemain on 6 fresh characters in the Necrom passage attached to the Thieve's Den.

The pattern is usually 1 purple, a few blues, and once you're getting whites, nothing else good drops until I switch characters. And I often don't because my primary goal is levelling Leg rather than loot. Though it's nice to do this instead of Craglorn apples and I have picked up MANY nice furnishing plans in the process.

Back in the days when I tried looting everything in a dungeon for like the dwemer pages and things like that, there'd always just be the one, and then nothing more.

From a design perspective it makes more sense to control this via cooldown rather than location.

If a dungeon were to pre-populate with loot upon a player entering then they might need to meticulously loot everything or potentially get nothing. My experience has been otherwise. Usually a purple within a reasonable amount of time and often very quickly, then nothing else.

Possibly it is just a matter of the probability of purples dropping drastically which would mean that sometimes people will pick up another purple. But most players would still treat that as a time to switch to another character scenario.

Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Do not listen to anyone saying there are no timers. I have LootLog installed and have exhaustively farmed furniture in the past. There is a very clear anti-farming method in place that is observable and repeatable.

I won't pretend to know the exact "cooldown" or "timer" of it, but you can see for yourself. Your first furnishing plan will never be a white plan. After your first non-white furnishing plan, you will get lots of white furnishing plans unless you switch to another character or wait for an amount of time.

This is the drop behavior of furnishing plans from containers (urns, drawers, etc.) and not from other sources.
    Options
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the drop behavior of furnishing plans from containers (urns, drawers, etc.) and not from other sources.

If you don't mind my asking because I was planning to test this myself, so like this doesn't apply to eg. Ayleid furnishing plans looted from NPCs in Ayleid dungeons?

I'm still missing a few and was reminded of that when one dropped recently.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

If you don't mind my asking because I was planning to test this myself, so like this doesn't apply to eg. Ayleid furnishing plans looted from NPCs in Ayleid dungeons?

I don't know the answer to that because I didn't test it. It's possible that it works the same way, but I just don't know. I should probably have said, "and not necessarily from other sources," to make that clearer.
    Options
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the answer to that because I didn't test it. It's possible that it works the same way, but I just don't know. I should probably have said, "and not necessarily from other sources," to make that clearer.

No need to apologise and thanks for clarifying.

I'll test it myself if I find time to farm plans.

My to-do list is HUGE.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I've pickpocketed two of the same gold quality furnishing plan within five minutes on the same character.

The only thing with cooldowns are certain motifs that are coded to drop once in the 24 hour period considered a game day.

Edited by Jaraal on May 8, 2024 6:23AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not listen to anyone saying there are no timers. I have LootLog installed and have exhaustively farmed furniture in the past. There is a very clear anti-farming method in place that is observable and repeatable.

I won't pretend to know the exact "cooldown" or "timer" of it, but you can see for yourself. Your first furnishing plan will never be a white plan. After your first non-white furnishing plan, you will get lots of white furnishing plans unless you switch to another character or wait for an amount of time.

I can't remember the last time I specifically recall looting a white plan. Heck, I get those much less often than blues. And I've farmed containers and received more than one blue plan (2 seperate loots, not the Homemaker Passive) in a well within the supposed cooldown timers. I've seen it once with purple plans too. Granted it was just the once. But purples are rare enough as it is, that getting two in a day is pretty friggin good.

And I'm talking about looting "searchable" containers. Not pickpocketing, not stealing, not from killing monsters/aggro-mobs, etc.. Nchuthnkarst has an obscene amount of lootable containers, and I've seen multiples there. Very Rare, but it does happen.

At one time I bought into the belief that there were loot timers. Until I saw it happen, then I was able to see past my own confirmation bias.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on May 8, 2024 7:57AM
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

Loot log works on things other than gear?? I honestly had no idea.

It has three options in the drop-down -- set items, notable items, and everything. (×2 because each of them has option for your/everyone's drops).
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

That's nothing like what I see. I don't get whites almost at all, and my every plans farming run (taking less than 15 minutes), I get multiples of greens and blues, sometimes, if I am really lucky, more than one purple.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    I figured it was time for a test.

64byysjnpw54.png
    ssalzap1cvfz.png
    The above is 20 minutes of Nchuthnkarst on one character.

I see one blue, two greens, and five whites. About what I'd expect.

ujb313mb4nuj.png
    77636qa4z08y.png
    This time, it's 20 minutes of Nchutnhkarst but pausing the timer and switching characters every time I get a blue or purple.

I see five blues, four greens, and zero whites.

I should amend my statement above: After your first non-white (and non-green) furnishing plan, you will get lots of white furnishing plans unless you switch to another character or wait for an amount of time.
    Options
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured it was time for a test.

64byysjnpw54.png
    ssalzap1cvfz.png
    The above is 20 minutes of Nchuthnkarst on one character.

I see one blue, two greens, and five whites. About what I'd expect.

ujb313mb4nuj.png
    77636qa4z08y.png
    This time, it's 20 minutes of Nchutnhkarst but pausing the timer and switching characters every time I get a blue or purple.

I see five blues, four greens, and zero whites.

I should amend my statement above: After your first non-white (and non-green) furnishing plan, you will get lots of white furnishing plans unless you switch to another character or wait for an amount of time.

So you're saying you average 1 blue every 4 minutes? Or a furnishing plan of any type every 2 minutes? Dunno that I believe that.

Edited by DenverRalphy on May 8, 2024 6:19PM
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Here's LootLog sections for about five minutes in Reachwind Depths. It starts at the bottom. You can see from the time stamps that the blue came before the other whites. This is by no means exhaustive, but it has been my experience that you will never get whites until you get a blue or purple first, and then it is mostly white plans after that. My experience has also been that if I switch characters, I will get a blue or purple before I get any whites on that character. This phenomenon is consistent and repeatable.

kei8qiknmc4p.png
    446ag80mu6q3.png
    coomyremokv9.png
    k2tq00vjwmy4.png

Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    634608qzt1xl.png

What can I say... This wasn't even a farming run, just doing guild dailies to tick companion guild skills.

Note the same timestamp on both blue praxes, which got pulled from the same container thanks to the Homemaker slottable.
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    Nice find. Did you get any whites after that? I might have to spend a few hours (ugh) in Reachwind Depths again to see if I can replicate that behavior.

-edit-
    OP, I think it's clear from the collected results posted here that the mechanic proposed by the video is clearly not in the game.

I'm still curious about the drop mechanic for white furnishing plans as an anti-farming mechanic, so I'll keep testing that.
    Edited by sleepy_worm on May 10, 2024 2:35AM
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice find. Did you get any whites after that? I might have to spend a few hours (ugh) in Reachwind Depths again to see if I can replicate that behavior.

-edit-
    OP, I think it's clear from the collected results posted here that the mechanic proposed by the video is clearly not in the game.

I'm still curious about the drop mechanic for white furnishing plans as an anti-farming mechanic, so I'll keep testing that.

Nope, I didn't get any whites whatsoever in a LONG while.

I think there /might/ be a per character cooldown mechanic though where after looting X containers, new ones spawn empty for a while.
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My loot looks like @sleepy_worm all the time, though we don’t have loot logs on console. Even on a fresh login. I get a lot of lockpicks, Lorkhan’s Tears, white gear, ash, etc. As soon as a blue or purple drops I get white plans.

How can some people get that but others get no white drops? I have completely given up farming for furnishing plans because it is a huge waste of time for me.

What is different?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    My loot looks like @sleepy_worm all the time, though we don’t have loot logs on console. Even on a fresh login. I get a lot of lockpicks, Lorkhan’s Tears, white gear, ash, etc. As soon as a blue or purple drops I get white plans.

How can some people get that but others get no white drops? I have completely given up farming for furnishing plans because it is a huge waste of time for me.

What is different?

Note that I have filtered loot to lines containing the colon (because all furnishing plans have item names like "Type: Blah Blah Thingie"). I also get "a lot of lockpicks, Lorkhan’s Tears, white gear, ash, etc".
    Options
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    It relies on RNG, and CP passive slotted,since you get better chance at finding higher quality items.I almost never get white plans,but I'll also see 3 or 4 containers in a row with green or blue in em.It also depends on where and when you farm containers,sine at peak hours more ppl getting the items,so lower chance of finding them.Also if you don't continually loot,probably find less,or jsut lower quality.
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It relies on RNG, and CP passive slotted,since you get better chance at finding higher quality items.I almost never get white plans,but I'll also see 3 or 4 containers in a row with green or blue in em.It also depends on where and when you farm containers,sine at peak hours more ppl getting the items,so lower chance of finding them.Also if you don't continually loot,probably find less,or jsut lower quality.

Containers are supposed to be instanced so at first glance it should not matter when you farm or how many players are on. I have heard others say that they find better items in off peak times and I have had some experience with that. It’s hard to do with me being a few hours off east coast time, though.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options