The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Templar Guide, From the priest to the paladin

• Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Angushh wrote: »
    Templar with Dual Wield is viable for PvP??? Im using for PVE and seems very good, but i dint tested it well in pvp.

Any advise for this build????

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#co0p9Mb0jf8rFTd8w2Bg8w2lm8bznl8rFnK85oN7GLDM6rDG8j7brSZ6LU08t7mrsgW6rsgZ

Templar with 2h or bow is a better choice for a DPS Templar in PVP and PVE??

Thanks!!!!

DPS wise bow seems to be bringing the highest numbers. Combine this with the excelent templar dots and i feel it brings the best single target dps.

Meleewise 2 handed is considered to be more effective due to the passive that lets you proc your enchant on weapon more often combined with the execute ability :)
    Mix of medium/light is advised for dps.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Dovel
    Dovel
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice guide. Thank you for putting it together. I am going to give the Holy Archer build a try.
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    Rachoa wrote: »

Only comment I have is that you have the Racial "Destruction Talent" with a skill point but you use a restoration staff.

Also, you haven't used a bunch of skills that I really enjoy, such as Fighters Guild "Silver Shot" (there are so many undead enemies, it comes in handy), and Dawn's Wrath "Solar Flare" (I'm level 20 and it seems to deal a lot of damage, but has a cast time)

I'm kind of straddling some of your builds, I have a sword and board templar without using any of the Aedric Spear skills. Both weapon sets are sword and board, so I can alternate between ranged (Silver Shots, Reflective light, Solar Flare, Defensive Posture and a healing skill) and up-close (Shield Charge to get close, Puncture, Reflective light (to use magicka, maybe I should start using some Aedric Spear skills!), I forget and a healing skill.)

Seems to work for me, but I do tend to have to switch weapons a lot to make good use of both ranged and up-close attacks and to alternate between magicka and stamina.

My favorite part of sword and board is I have put two points into Deadly Bash and it is extremely effective to bash with the shield now.
  • psychounz
    psychounz
    ✭✭✭
    @Stautmeister‌ I noticed you don't have any stat allocations on your builds... can you add them? :3
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    I have been getting negative feedback from DPS Templars after 50 as they progress through VR content, healers are happy but DPS are really frustrated at how slow they kill stuff and past 4-5 some have actually given up!
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeddahwe wrote: »
    I have been getting negative feedback from DPS Templars after 50 as they progress through VR content, healers are happy but DPS are really frustrated at how slow they kill stuff and past 4-5 some have actually given up!

I'm currently facing this issue and I really am unsure what to do. I see other classes (Sorcerers) just smash through monsters while I struggle with a Pack of 3.

I'm running Heavy 5 with Medium 2 on a Stamina heavy build. My allocations are 5 Magicka, 29 HP and 15 in Stamina. I have Green Quality 5 pieces of VR4 Heavy Armor self crafted, with 2 green piece of VR4 medium armor self crafted (Helmet and belt if it matters) with a Blue Quality VR4 2h Axe and 2h Sword. I am Veteran Rank 4 on Aldmeri Dominion. 4 Enchants of Stamina on I believe Helmet, Chest, Legs and Shoulders with 3 Enchants (Merchant Bought so basic default white quality for all enchants btw) of Magicka on the Belt, Hands and Boots.

My skills are invested in level 50 Medium, Level 50 Heavy, Level 50 Two-Handed Weapon, my Aedric Spear is level 46, my Dawn's Wrath is level 50 and my Restoring Light is level 45.

I found that as a Rank 10 Vampire I could usually just outlast with the healing ultimate, the Drain and the skill "Honor the Dead" while running Reverse Slash, Wrecking Blow and Toppling Charge.

Last night I changed over to Werewolf to give it a try and I went from tons of survivability, so I could outlast most encounters, to LIMITED survivability and playing as I suppose a "normal" Templar would play like although without the benefits of a quicker Ultimate.

I've used variants of Toppling Charge or Critical Rush, now I'm using Puncturing Sweep...Wrecking Blow seems to be a must as it's the only hard CC I seem to be able to get. Reverse Slash is still great, however I no longer have the stamina and magicka recovery of Supernatural recovery nor the full stamina recharge plus heal of Drain Essence.

I tried Sun Shield, Restorative Aura and many other various skills to attempt to increase my survivability.

So now playing a normal person without the, simply put, blatantly overpowered Vampire skills to crutch me along how can I survive and do better? I'm VR4 with a very focused build, I've got no skills in Bow or Sword and Shield and I had been using the same build essentially since level 13 (When I became a vampire).

Should I just forget werewolf and go get my crutch back? I was hoping to get it to rank 10 to get the "real feel" of the skill line.

Any tips or suggestions?

Here's a basically accurate recreation of my character as he stands now:

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#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
    Edited by Ravinsild on April 29, 2014 4:31PM
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking at tons of guides and clips and speaking to players in VR content +8 and some are doing it with a restostaff + destro staff. They use Mage Guild AoE and heal with whatever class abilities you have to AoE and that is it...
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome post, I was looking for a good templar post like this where I can see different peoples templar builds for ideas. On your Holy Knight build, do you think it would lose anything if it was a 1hnd/shield instead of the 2 hander?

I hope others will post their builds. it helps give me ideas of what ways to use the templar because I am so confused. I picture this mace and shield holy knight that can heal himself and be able to have a few ranged abilities. But I don't know how to make that happen. Everytime I try to I feel I am spreading myself too thin and need to pick an area to be good at.

You would actually gain a lot of CC/Debuffing Ability in lieu of the lost DPS by using Sword And Board. Also, Holy Knight is very similar to what I use now for my Hybrid Build, only I wear 3/2/2, Heavy/Medium/Light respectively for my armor and I always have Breathe Of Life on my bar in case of emergency off heals. My second weapon is a bow and is set up very similar to your Holy Archer, only that it's more focused on Support rather than pure DPS or PvP Murdering.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    awesome post, I was looking for a good templar post like this where I can see different peoples templar builds for ideas. On your Holy Knight build, do you think it would lose anything if it was a 1hnd/shield instead of the 2 hander?

I hope others will post their builds. it helps give me ideas of what ways to use the templar because I am so confused. I picture this mace and shield holy knight that can heal himself and be able to have a few ranged abilities. But I don't know how to make that happen. Everytime I try to I feel I am spreading myself too thin and need to pick an area to be good at.

You would actually gain a lot of CC/Debuffing Ability in lieu of the lost DPS by using Sword And Board. Also, Holy Knight is very similar to what I use now for my Hybrid Build, only I wear 3/2/2, Heavy/Medium/Light respectively for my armor and I always have Breathe Of Life on my bar in case of emergency off heals. My second weapon is a bow and is set up very similar to your Holy Archer, only that it's more focused on Support rather than pure DPS or PvP Murdering.

In an effort to post more builds, here is my (currently incomplete, but gets most of the skills accurate enough) build:

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#mozLyy9k8A4hz8LxsO8rFTY8rFTb8fdCw8rFnx8fXiC8fQwP8fWN38rDSc8fdBf8rDHV8T7ozrqAi6zrqLw8j7rbSZ6LUM6AU06MrJPu8n7mNWQ6IW28y7GMR3r6MfQlr6bR3a6IR3f6zfQE16zfQlu8O7MMdeF8P7MbdYh8U7MzrWv8zc7VzgeXm6zgePB8zf7zmNbo8zu7zzHfYE6zHfZd8zG7zzHQ3F8zI7cMJIoX6MJIkL6MJIkl8zN7aMJZcY6MJZug6zJZuT6zJZuA6zJZuy6zJZrM8zA7czKpUN6zKTkb8zL7zzK4EX

Basically, here are the skills I have slotted:
    I use sword and board for both weapon slots. The first one is "ranged", with:
    1- Open slot (Switch between Magelight, Rapid Maneuver and Soul Magic as needed)
    2- Silver shards
    3- Reflective Light
    [These two are my ranged attacks, allowing me to choose between stamina and magicka]
    4- Solar Barrage [This used to be a ranged attack, I still kind of miss it as a great damage ranged attack. I wanted the AoE, but I wish I could have both]
    5- Lingering Ritual [Heal, cast time usually is okay since I am ranged]

Second is close combat, with:
    1- Defensive Stance [Could have this as ranged, but I think it is useful to do before rushing into a crowd, and I keep it slotted because it reduces block by 8%]
    2- Puncture [Great first move when rushing into a group, gets my armor up and reduces main targets]
    3- Invasion [This is how I charge in, stunning an enemy]
    4- Solar Barrage [Great AoE when I'm in the scrum and don't want to take time to select an enemy (or there are multiple)]
    5- Breath of Life [Instant Healing]

Ultimate for both: Solar Prison [Only negative is I find it difficult to use my ultimate when in a scrum, it seems to take too long so when I try I go down quickly or don't do it right]

I have two main tactics. The first is my primary tactic, where I use Silver Shards/Reflective light and Healing Ritual on the periphery until I see a good matchup or an ally in need of help. Then I use Invasion to charge the enemy, alternate between puncture/solar barrage and sometimes back up so that I can use Invasion again. Defensive Stance isn't used often (intentionally) so I need to get better about using it, but I block and shield bash a lot.

Second tactic is when the PvP group is routing the enemy, I stay out of combat long enough to get on my horse and I ride through the mob to try to run down fleeing VR's. I can't take down a VR on my own, but with the mob behind me, my only goal is to stun them long enough that they don't get away. I stay on horseback until I can get close enough to use invasion. This works great on vampires, and once I stun them I switch to Silver Shards.

I don't use any of the Aedric Spear line, but I might need to adjust my tactics in the future and include some. I'm also considering switching up my routine, as having separate ranged attacks can be useless if I can't switch weapons quickly.
  • audabon2013
    audabon2013
    ✭✭
    to chime in, I am mainly a healer. my focus is in magicka, mag regen, light armor and Breton racials.

I only use breath of life and purifying ritual from restoring light in addition to magelight morph. from resto staff I use rapid regen, ward, siphon.

you can check my other post on healing, but to respond to some of the above posters as far as dps off-specs.

for my solo dps I run toppling charge, biting jabs, inner light, darkflare, reflective light, and solar prison all with a resto staff for white dmg and mag regen. with the same magicka based gear, this has great dps, cc and heals on my other bar to fall back on.

open at range with flare and reflective light, heavy for 1 or 2 regen ticks then charge and jab. move on to next mob/pack. great damage and survivability at VR content.
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    Sunleacher

5 cloth 2 heavy, heavy for hp regen

cap magika, stack hp to convert to magika from mage guild ability equilibrium, no cap on health it seems so the health is a second magika pool, morph also give heal over time.

spells i use are solar flare, sunfire, spear for mele and interrupts, eclipse for spell casters, with eclipse the casters kill them selfs. Then equilibrium to just keep leaching at all health pool to convert to magika. I find this combo quite lethal even in vet ranks, and dungeons. Don't forget nova ult, regens fast when using wrath abilities and passives, massive aoe.
  • Mortuari
    Mortuari
    Soul Shriven
    Any updates to your build Stautmeister ?
  • Voodoods
    Voodoods
    Soul Shriven
    re: Holy Archer - Its mentioned that a mix of light and medium armor works best. Which makes more sense - using 5 light or 5 medium?

for reference:

"Holy Archer
    http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#cokzgginjC8innb8inyz8rFTx8bzL18rFnB8inTv8bzjH8inyr8rFpJ8rHLn8rFnx8N7xNDi6NDu8j7xdSZ6bU06bUM6NUa8g7CbsXn6NsXy6bsXx6LsXt6bsXg847zzxLCe

This is probably one of the strongest pvp builds for the templar. Our knockbacks/roots combined with bow control means youl be able to kite single targets indefinatly.
    go set 1 for single target or 2 vs groups.
    Take a mix of light and medium armor for maximum effectiveness. If you play this build well you should never get hit, ever.
    + points
    Amazing control, both single target and aoe
    High Dps
    If people finally get to you, or you run out of recourses your done for."
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Why not slot Restoring Aura on both bars? Also look into Fighter+Mage guild abilities for both bars.
    Edited by Jeddahwe on May 11, 2014 8:53AM
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
  • abuniffpreub18_ESO
    abuniffpreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    A noob here. I started a Templar Sun Priest but I don't have any of the spells that are in your skill calculator. Am I missing something?.
  • crowfl56
    crowfl56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just switched to 1h+shield and using the aredic spear line, with slash in #4 slot and heal in #5. This allows me to solo any 1up elite, not anything stronger. I can switch to restro staff if in trouble. I can kill quickly and knock back adds.
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi
    A noob here. I started a Templar Sun Priest but I don't have any of the spells that are in your skill calculator. Am I missing something?.

The builds shown are for higher-level characters. You will need to level up to get access to the ones you don't yet have.
  • raiderjwardub17_ESO
    The sun priest build is missing the templar ability "Cleansing Ritual". Cleansing Ritual is such a strong skill to not have. Here is a link to my guide that explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Fqlxas-j8

Having "mage light" would also make a huge difference, 20% more chance to crit heals is HUGE!
    Edited by raiderjwardub17_ESO on May 16, 2014 1:54AM
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXLJUL1zgc

Bar1: Whatever you want but using Resto staff in good
    Bar2: Mage Guild+Destro Staff
    Edited by Jeddahwe on May 16, 2014 6:22AM
  • Darwa
    Darwa
    ✭✭

You sure like posting that video. Is it you?
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    Darwa wrote: »

You sure like posting that video. Is it you?

No its not me...It seems to me as the best video to show as its the highest content, pulling mobs and not using a single class ability on the main action bar!

As a player I had no idea that was even possible...that being ANY class can steam role VR10 AoE content with Mage Guild and Pulsar...

That video pretty much is the perfect reply to any one that claims class X is gimped...
    Edited by Jeddahwe on May 16, 2014 5:57PM
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    "Class" X can still be gimped, even while using that build, because that build has nothing to do with your class.

Volcanic Rune trivializes most PvE content. It's literally all you need to solo any trash pack in the open world, and even many of the "bosses", because a lot of them aren't immune to CC. And even though that build is "strong enough" for soloing VR content, it's still gimped compared to, say, a Dragonknight using nothing but class abilities (Talons + Inhale + Standard.)

And of course, using that build is not going to help you deal competitive DPS in dungeons, or the upcoming Trials; and Volcanic Rune isn't all that great for PvP, either (most players know to block hard CC, and Volcanic Rune is easy to see coming.)

Examples of great solo builds based on non-class abilities are really just workarounds for the problems facing class balance in ESO. They only tackle one aspect of the game (soloing in the open world) which is the least significant area with regards to class balance in an MMO (because most builds are able to solo just fine, even if they aren't optimal.) Group PvE and PvP are where balance matters most because that's where the toughest content in the game is predominantly featured, and that's where a build like the one seen in that video isn't going to get you very far.

Now, the aforementioned DK Talons + Inhale + Standard build? That's not only a great build for soloing, but it's also one of the best builds right now in PvP; and it's a great tank build for group PvE content as well. It's far and away the better build, not just in terms of power, but also in terms of versatility. And that is completely reliant on your class. So yes, "Class X" can definitely still be underpowered despite having access to one or two good farming builds.

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭

Can someone explain what is going on in this video? Wjhat kind of gear he has?He is using so little mana (or his regen is off the chain)... His ultimate is recharging so quickly!
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing he's using the Warlock set, which restores x amount of magicka when you drop below a certain threshold (can happen once per minute, and I think I see it happen on the first fight.)

The second thing is the final passive in the Destruction Staff tree, which restores magicka every time you kill an enemy with a Destruction Staff ability.

Nothing else is apparent, except that he's likely stacking some magicka reduction.

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • OutlandishMachine
    I mixed the Holy Knight and Sun Priest so now I use a mix of heavy/light armour with a destruction staff. I need a name for it. Hmmmmm... I know! I'm going to call it the Burning Warrior. Yes... I like that.
    Every cyclone derives its power from a calm centre. So too does a Nimbus Monk.
  • GreatKuma
    GreatKuma
    So with the updates, are there any changes to these builds?
  • Mortuari
    Mortuari
    Soul Shriven
    Is it me or do the Build links to ESOHead no longer work?
  • Aukhan92
    Aukhan92
    Soul Shriven
    If u would like to be a tank/archer... how do u put your atributes? everything in life or stamina?

And if u wanna be tank/mage... everything in magic or in life